2019 Callaway Golf Balls

jesusdelallata

Does anyone know if Callaway is coming out with new balls? The Cheome Soft has been on sale for about a month so I’m wondering if they are being phased out.

Driver - Callaway Rogue
3w - Callaway Rogue
5w - Callaway Rogue
Irons (GW - 4i) - Callaway Rogue
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport
Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 54 and 60 degrees

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ChromeSoft is on a 2 year refresh cycle, as are most ball models in the industry, and was just refreshed at the beginning of 2018. So it'll be another year on it. As has been said, the ERC is coming out (AVX competitor) with alignment aids, and a SuperSoft Magna (oversized).

Hope the ERC ball is more forgiving and better-sounding than the driver of the same name.............

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

ChromeSoft is on a 2 year refresh cycle, as are most ball models in the industry, and was just refreshed at the beginning of 2018. So it'll be another year on it. As has been said, the ERC is coming out (AVX competitor) with alignment aids, and a SuperSoft Magna (oversized).

Hope the ERC ball is more forgiving and better-sounding than the driver of the same name.............

Sounds good, yes. Been trying it out for a bit now. Definitely sounds better than the Epic Flash driver! lol.

I have one. It is a good ball. I have only used it to putt as I only have one . They are going to be available in March. Supposedly it will be longer and fly a bit higher than the AVX. I for one will give it a thorough test a soon as they are available. I have been using the Chrome Soft and these are supposed to be a better ball than the AVX. With a much better price point.

Gil Leonard

Wasn't iteration #3 this past January ? 3 times in the last 3 years ? $36/doz, then $39/doz and the latest $44/doz.

And now that they're selling for $11 off, $33/doz, wouldn't that lead one to believe another ball is coming shortly ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Wasn't iteration #3 this past January ? 3 times in the last 3 years ? $36/doz, then $39/doz and the latest $44/doz.

And now that they're selling for $11 off, $33/doz, wouldn't that lead one to believe another ball is coming shortly ?

All I can tell you is that a new ball hasn't been shown to account holders other than the ones listed above, and the previous (before the current gen with graphene) generation was available (to me) for 2 years.

No new CS for this year. ERC Soft and Supersoft Magna as said previously are the new offerings this year. Its touted as having a hybrid cover that creates more spin than a typical distance ball. Also Graphene infused like the CS. A buddy of mine found one while playing a local course here in Orlando last week and said it is long. He still has it and I'm going to try it when we play tomorrow.

I thought Callaway was launching a ball to compete against the Titleist AVX.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

I thought Callaway was launching a ball to compete against the Titleist AVX.

Did you just post without actually reading any posts in the thread? It's been posted at least twice already about a ball being launched that is a direct comparison/competitor to AVX

Guilty as charged. My quick reading skills are not on point at this time in the day.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Here are a few pics of the new ERC soft. I still have not had an opportunity to hit it. The cover definitely feels different than both the CS and Supersoft. The ball also feels lighter than a CS when in your hand but is the same weight when put on a scale. Not sure why it feels this way. Hoping to give it a try soon

I take that back. I’ll try them. Lots of stories out on the internet about the release of all three Callaway balls. What’s interesting is that the ERC Soft is a 4 piece surlyn based hybrid cover ball. As long as it works I’m in.

Driver - Callaway Rogue
3w - Callaway Rogue
5w - Callaway Rogue

I take that back. I'll try them. Lots of stories out on the internet about the release of all three Callaway balls. What's interesting is that the ERC Soft is a 4 piece surlyn based hybrid cover ball. As long as it works I'm in.

According to the USGA conforming balls list, it is a 3-piece with 1 cover so my guess is that it is 2 cores, 0 mantles, 1 surlyn cover like the legacy NXT Tour. Based on the marketing description and definitely by that pic above, there does not seem to be any urethane in this cover. So it looks like this will beat out the Tour Soft as the highest priced surlyn ball for 2019...

I agree that the price sounds crazy. I will try it out. Right now I’m in love with the Q Star Tour and it’s $10 less per dozen.

Driver - Callaway Rogue
3w - Callaway Rogue
5w - Callaway Rogue

I take that back. I'll try them. Lots of stories out on the internet about the release of all three Callaway balls. What's interesting is that the ERC Soft is a 4 piece surlyn based hybrid cover ball. As long as it works I'm in.

According to the USGA conforming balls list, it is a 3-piece with 1 cover so my guess is that it is 2 cores, 0 mantles, 1 surlyn cover like the legacy NXT Tour. Based on the marketing description and definitely by that pic above, there does not seem to be any urethane in this cover. So it looks like this will beat out the Tour Soft as the highest priced surlyn ball for 2019...

I remember we discussed the Tour Soft last year as the highest priced surlyn ball. I played one dozen the entire year. Great ball great performance. But agree that it’s over priced. Now this new Callaway better be amazing to justify the price. Since I love testing new balls I’ll give it a try.

Driver - Callaway Rogue
3w - Callaway Rogue
5w - Callaway Rogue

I doubt a company like Callaway would outright lie about their own product. Its much more likely the conforming list just has the cover composition binary (urethane or surlyn).

Every press release and Cally website say its a hybrid; some surly, some urethane. They claim that urethane is highly variable among other companies and the cover will spin as well as some urethane balls.

I won't disagree that there is no way I am paying $40/dozen for a ball that doesn't have tour spin around the greens, but I am waiting to see a ball test from someone reputable before claiming this thing won't spin.

People dog the AVX around the greens, but I can make it hop and stop all day.

Titleist TSR3 - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Rogue LS - 15* - Tour ADXC 7x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - KBS Tour 120 Wedge

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft TruTrack (Winter)
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

I like the AVX. A lot. For me it's the right mix of low spin and lower launch to keep the spin low. The TP5 is also very good in this regard. However, if there were a cheaper alternative, I'd explore it.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I doubt a company like Callaway would outright lie about their own product. Its much more likely the conforming list just has the cover composition binary (urethane or surlyn).

Every press release and Cally website say its a hybrid; some surly, some urethane. They claim that urethane is highly variable among other companies and the cover will spin as well as some urethane balls.

I won't disagree that there is no way I am paying $40/dozen for a ball that doesn't have tour spin around the greens, but I am waiting to see a ball test from someone reputable before claiming this thing won't spin.

The USGA list does not specify material, only the number of covers (their guidance is that mantles are considered a cover, but as with spin characteristics the list reflects what the OEM submits with their submission application).

Callaway is not explicitly lying, but they are being disingenuous by implying that the cover contains urethane when it doesn't. To be fair, other OEMs have done this in the past as well so I am not specifically faulting Callaway. Please see this quote from MGS which leads me to believe that this ball does not contain any urethane:

"Callaway's cover starts with a Surlyn base, but adds several proprietary ingredients to both increase ball speeds (on short irons/wedges) and spin. Because urethane has different grades, Callaway claims the cover of the ERC Soft can outperform several competitors which elect to use lesser versions of urethane."

If the cover formulation actually contained urethane, they would have explicitly stated that instead of "several proprietary ingredients". The reality is the majority of golfers know very little nor can even distinguish between differences in ball construction anyways and that large demographic is really whom most of this marketing is aimed at. I am sure we will gain some clarity during the PGA Show and the campaign to follow.

• 2 weeks later...

What's happened with golf balls? They used to be 90+ compression and ~80 for higher handicappers, then they came out with a 50-ccompression ball and now this E.R.C. Soft is supposed to be ~35 compression yet they are labeling it as the longest ball? How did compression get flipped to become 'long'?

ERC Soft.........three alignment stripes, 2 blue with a red one in the center between them

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

The USGA list does not specify material, only the number of covers (their guidance is that mantles are considered a cover, but as with spin characteristics the list reflects what the OEM submits with their submission application).

Callaway is not explicitly lying, but they are being disingenuous by implying that the cover contains urethane when it doesn't. To be fair, other OEMs have done this in the past as well so I am not specifically faulting Callaway. Please see this quote from MGS which leads me to believe that this ball does not contain any urethane:

"Callaway's cover starts with a Surlyn base, but adds several proprietary ingredients to both increase ball speeds (on short irons/wedges) and spin. Because urethane has different grades, Callaway claims the cover of the ERC Soft can outperform several competitors which elect to use lesser versions of urethane."

If the cover formulation actually contained urethane, they would have explicitly stated that instead of "several proprietary ingredients". The reality is the majority of golfers know very little nor can even distinguish between differences in ball construction anyways and that large demographic is really whom most of this marketing is aimed at. I am sure we will gain some clarity during the PGA Show and the campaign to follow.

There is a Callaway video (can't find it at the moment) where Arnett is interviewing one of the engineers/designers of the ball (I believe). She clearly states there is no urethane, but surlyn that plays like urethane.

Actually, I found it. Here:

She states it starting about the 1:10 mark.

There is a Callaway video (can't find it at the moment) where Arnett is interviewing one of the engineers/designers of the ball (I believe). She clearly states there is no urethane, but surlyn that plays like urethane.

Actually, I found it. Here:

She states it starting about the 1:10 mark.

Yep, I already posted that in another thread :)

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1729288-callaway-erc-soft/page__p__18482702#entry18482702