Blade ho ho ho-ing

ghoonk

I'm also thinking about grabbing a set of Cobra Fly-Z Pro to mess with.......should I?

I've hit the Fly-Z Pro, they're really quite soft. A quite worthy and rather underrated choice IMHO.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I'm also thinking about grabbing a set of Cobra Fly-Z Pro to mess with.......should I?

I've hit the Fly-Z Pro, they're really quite soft. A quite worthy and rather underrated choice IMHO.

Well thanks to your comment, I'm a proud owner of Fly-Z pro irons now......

TM M3 9.5*
Cobra King Ltd 15*
Callaway XR 18* 

Cobra Fly Z+ 4-P

Bridgestone J15 50*

Callaway MD2 56/60*

TM Spider X Navy Blue
Srixon Z Star

Now since you and I have similar tastes in clubs--- You have given me food for thought--- If I run up on a set--- Yeah I would go off your club judgement

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Callaway Apex '18 MB in Raw for me. Love them.

Only other club I would go with that would be close would be Titleist 718 MB's. Little longer, heel to toe.

Miura 501's look incredible, never got to hit them. Not available in southpaw. Have a bunch of buddies who have them and really enjoy them.

Driver: Ping G400 LST LAGP Black Tie 60 X 
3 Wood: Titleist TS3 16.5* Diamana WhiteBoard 80 X 
DI: Callaway UT Forged 18* KBS Tour Prototype HB 95 S
Irons: Callaway Apex MB Raw (Tour Issue Wide Groove) 4-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 110s Hardstepped
Wedges: Callaway MD4 52* 56* S Grind KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125 S | Nike VRS DS 60*(Hand Ground) Nippon Wedge 125 S
Putter: Bettinardi Short Kuchar Model

I've been an avid reader of WRX for years. Finally signed up. I've hit and owned just about every set out there.

I'm down to 3 sets now. All gamers. Two are blades. MP33 (refinished), Macgregor MT Pro-Ms, and my refinished

trusty Titleist 990s (CB). Love all of them. But, my dream set is a Don White National Custom blade.

Those are a thing of pure, golf beauty, crafted by a legend. That's my pick.

Now since you and I have similar tastes in clubs--- You have given me food for thought--- If I run up on a set--- Yeah I would go off your club judgement

Let's hope I'm not just the golf equivalent of the guy in the back alley, "hey man, I got this good stuff..." LOL

edit: Expounding on my comments earlier....

When I hit the Fly-Z Pro, I thought they were in the Mizuno class in terms of softness, a bit softer than MacGregor. I think the tungsten bit they threw in the toe was a nice touch, helping to move the CG more towards the center of the club face. I didn't get a chance to play them around the course, the set I hit belonged to our then assistant pro and were set up almost completely wrong for me (flat, midsize grips, etc).

I admit my time with them was pretty limited, but it doesn't stop me from surfing Fly-Z Pro sets from time to time.

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I've been an avid reader of WRX for years. Finally signed up. I've hit and owned just about every set out there.

I'm down to 3 sets now. All gamers. Two are blades. MP33 (refinished), Macgregor MT Pro-Ms, and my refinished

trusty Titleist 990s (CB). Love all of them. But, my dream set is a Don White National Custom blade.

I've had some great ones over the years and have hit all the new offerings. Nothing compares to my NCW's

snapback.png57Seve, on 28 December 2018 - 09:08 AM, said:

I've had some great ones over the years and have hit all the new offerings. Nothing compares to my NCW's

DDMB, nothing better than seeing that simple 'DW' on the sole. Brilliant.

Macs and MP-33s darn good selections if you ask me----

snapback.png57Seve, on 28 December 2018 - 09:08 AM, said:

DDMB, nothing better than seeing that simple 'DW' on the sole. Brilliant.

Enough said!

Long time blade player and like OP, tried to dabble in CB irons. Only to find that the golf game gets worse with CB, no explanation, but CBs simply don't swing like blades.

But of all of the blades I've tried and I've tried a lot, will simply say one word

BABY BLADES!!!!!

• Like 1

Everybody relax, I’m here

Thumbs up on FG59's but of new stuff, the irons that float my boat are these:

onoff-labospec-mb-247d-iron-main-img.jpg

One Off limited series LaboSpec MB-247D, real expensive but clubs feature soft carbon forging and spin welded hosels made in Himeji Japan. Gorgeous.

Wow, those are gorgeous!!

Ping G410 Driver
Cally Epic 4 Wood

Founders Club 200 Series MBs or BeCu Ping Eye2 or MacGregor CB92s, Ping Eye2 SW

Ping Zing2, MyDay in BeCu or Goodwood SS Sunday

I've posted before on the new(ish) Ben Hogan FTW Black irons, I think they are some of the easiest blades I've ever hit. I may add some tape to the 4/5 irons but overall they are very solid all the way 'round. Blade length is a little longer than some of the classics mentioned above. For the price and ability to spec them they you want (within reason) I say they are a great option. This pic is my winter old/new short bag. Happy hunting!!

Ping G410 Driver
Cally Epic 4 Wood

Founders Club 200 Series MBs or BeCu Ping Eye2 or MacGregor CB92s, Ping Eye2 SW

Ping Zing2, MyDay in BeCu or Goodwood SS Sunday

Fujimoto MB - nothing more to be said

• Like 1

[size=3][b]D:[/b] Ping G LS-Tec (9.5*)
[b]F:[/b] Taylormade M1 (15*)
[b]Di:[/b] Titleist TMB (18*), Mizuno MP53 (21*)
[b]I:[/b] Fujimoto MB (4-PW)
[b]W:[/b] Miura (51* and 59*)[/size]
[size=3][b]P:[/b] Lajosi LP7[/size]

[size=3][b]Ball:[/b] Bridgestone Tour B xs[/size]

[size=3][b]Bag:[/b] Ogio Shredder (with leather wood and putter covers)
[b]Shoes:[/b] Puma Ignite[/size]

I love my Fg59's and I love my Scratch SB-1's too. If I had to let them go and pick new ones I'd be looking at the new Callaway MB's in raw or the prototypes from a few years back. I'd like to try some of the expensive brands like Miura or the OnOff's but, well, they're too expensive (for me).

I don't think one can go too wrong with any of the blade offerings from the last 15 years or so. They're all pretty good since computers took over the world. Lol

Mizuno MP18 is a masterpiece. Feels amazing, sits beautifully and is actually playable to a lot of golfers. Try the Srixons as well. They feel as good as Mizuno.

+1

Picked up Apex CF16’s because of a fitting, but I practice only with blades. I have flirted with picking up a set of MP18’s, because I hit them more consistently than my CF16’s and even fairly close in terms of distance surprisingly (basically once club of difference). If they weren’t so beautiful I would just buy a set but my wife would notice a set of clubs that gorgeous.

+1

Hit them at the golf store today. Butter.

BIG STU, my Macgregor MTs are as close as I've got to a DW set. Love them. MPs are flawless.

Yep they are great irons-- They are somewhat softer than older VIPs or FC-4000s but not quite as buttery as Mizuno or Miura

I've posted before on the new(ish) Ben Hogan FTW Black irons, I think they are some of the easiest blades I've ever hit. I may add some tape to the 4/5 irons but overall they are very solid all the way 'round. Blade length is a little longer than some of the classics mentioned above. For the price and ability to spec them they you want (within reason) I say they are a great option. This pic is my winter old/new short bag. Happy hunting!!

And a Toney Penna persimmon driver to boot!!! You don't know me all that well but I am a big Penna persimmon fan and the old Zing 2 ain't bad either

Long time blade player and like OP, tried to dabble in CB irons. Only to find that the golf game gets worse with CB, no explanation, but CBs simply don't swing like blades.

But of all of the blades I've tried and I've tried a lot, will simply say one word

BABY BLADES!!!!!

I am basically the same way when I dabbled with CB irons but I have finally found one set of CBs I can hit and those are the early KZG Forged CBs I am experimenting with now. No joke They hit as soft as any Miura. Trust me I have hit all the Miuras because one of my running and playing partners is the Miura dealer here. But then again after all the KZGs are Kyoei forged. But I will admit if I did not have so much Macgregor Hogan and Mizuno stuff I would have a set of BBs. I call the KZGs "Poor Mans Miuras"

Don't overlook the Vega range either, I hit some of the VM 01s up against the MP 18 and my Original Nikes, and they were better than either. Don't think they were better than the VR Pros tho, and the Vegas were £1300 a set, the Nikes were 220 :)

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

Currently have the Callaway MB'S, a blast to play. Very satisfying blade.

Have had some great rounds with the

them. Play to a five hc, trending lower

with the help of some good putting as of late. Think a lot of golfers are missing out by not playing the modern

blade.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

BABY BLADES!!!!!

I am basically the same way when I dabbled with CB irons but I have finally found one set of CBs I can hit and those are the early KZG Forged CBs I am experimenting with now. No joke They hit as soft as any Miura. Trust me I have hit all the Miuras because one of my running and playing partners is the Miura dealer here. But then again after all the KZGs are Kyoei forged. But I will admit if I did not have so much Macgregor Hogan and Mizuno stuff I would have a set of BBs. I call the KZGs "Poor Mans Miuras"

Stu- really like the older KZG Kyoei forged stuff, definitely NOT a fan of their president or business practices. Had an issue with some stuff purchased from one of their dealers that subsequently closed up shop and got referred by a former employee of company (class guy) to speak with Mrs. King- a 'lady' distinctly lacking in class. In fact, told Mrs. Jennifer King that "you are the most unprofessional and inappropriate person I have ever dealt with, including my 13+ years formerly carrying a seriously assaultive caseload as a probation officer in NC."?

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Think a lot of golfers are missing out by not playing the modern blade.

I think a lot of golfers are missing out by not playing the classic blade. Moving the CG closer to center of face is often mentioned, but if you look at CG locations (C Dimension in MPF details), you'll see little difference, if any.

Excepting the obvious examples like CF4000, one or two Hogan Apex models, etc.

Even in the arena of sole grind, there are options that aren't the classic "flat and sharp." Though its worth mention, there are some modern blades getting a bit sharper in the leading edge, at the behest of pros, if ad copy is to be believed. (yeah, advertising, LOL)

Of the newest of the new stuff that I've hit, the Callaway raw MB heavy heads have been the best for me. P730's are softer than I thought they would be. Titleist 718 are good but not enough to kick out the Callaway. The MP18 are nice a little larger than I prefer and I never got on with the chrome Callaway MB like the raw version. Cobra MB I want to like I think the shaft combo I have in them just isn't a good fit.

Some of the other stuff I've kicked around this year:

FG59 and FG100 are really good, would be better with a shaft other than stock offering for me

MacGregor MT, MT Pro M and VIP's are great, especially for the prices

Srixon 945 over the 965's

Adam MB2 raw similar thoughts to MP18's

Titleist 681 T stamp over the regular 681's but not sure price is justified for either set in good condition

Baby Blades are nice but have been relegated to the golf closet for awhile now

Yes, all of the above and more have seen time in the bag this year. Disgraceful I know.

Of the newest of the new stuff that I've hit, the Callaway raw MB heavy heads have been the best for me. P730's are softer than I thought they would be. Titleist 718 are good but not enough to kick out the Callaway. The MP18 are nice a little larger than I prefer and I never got on with the chrome Callaway MB like the raw version. Cobra MB I want to like I think the shaft combo I have in them just isn't a good fit.

Some of the other stuff I've kicked around this year:

FG59 and FG100 are really good, would be better with a shaft other than stock offering for me

MacGregor MT, MT Pro M and VIP's are great, especially for the prices

Srixon 945 over the 965's

Adam MB2 raw similar thoughts to MP18's

Titleist 681 T stamp over the regular 681's but not sure price is justified for either set in good condition

Baby Blades are nice but have been relegated to the golf closet for awhile now

Yes, all of the above and more have seen time in the bag this year. Disgraceful I know.

Yep all us blade ho's are disgraceful; and loving it!!

In part due to this thread, I just spent a half hour surfing eBay for 1 irons.

It's still December, and I live in Minnesota. I so need to be sessrching for 1 irons.....