2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

RTX 4 vs SM7

rt_charger

Greetings WRXs, first post from me here.

I was googling and cannot find any good comparisons looking at what I'm after so I figured I'd ask here: (NB, I know it's best to actually hit the clubs myself but it's nice to hear what other people have to say)

Like shown in the title - RTX 4 vs Vokey SM7. What I'm asking for is mostly the feel between the two clubs. I'm going to pull the trigger on a set (4 wedges incl PW), and I need to know how they compare in feel off the club - I'm a touch based player and that is crucial to me.

As far as other of my pros for each wedge, here is what I like:

RTX 4:

• Progressive shaping from PW thru LW.
  • History of using Cleveland wedges with a good experience.
  • Consistency of spin throughout all lies (shown in other reviews of the singular wedge).

SM7:

• Grind options a-plenty.
  • Finish options suit my eye better (I particularly would love a 60 degree Jet Black).
  • Reputation of consistent distance through CG placement.

Anyone have anything else to chime in with? Cheers, Ryan

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was googling and cannot find any good comparisons looking at what I'm after so I figured I'd ask here: (NB, I know it's best to actually hit the clubs myself but it's nice to hear what other people have to say)

Like shown in the title - RTX 4 vs Vokey SM7. What I'm asking for is mostly the feel between the two clubs. I'm going to pull the trigger on a set (4 wedges incl PW), and I need to know how they compare in feel off the club - I'm a touch based player and that is crucial to me.

RTX 4:

• Consistency of spin throughout all lies (shown in other reviews of the singular wedge).

SM7:

• Finish options suit my eye better (I particularly would love a 60 degree Jet Black).

I have tested both and I must say that it is a difficult choice to choose one over the other. I have yet to make a decision myself yet but here are the pros for both.

RTX4 pros:

1. Lower price
  2. Higher spin compared to SM7 if that is what you are looking for... Not necessary a good or bad thing but really depends on your needs. I personally do not like too much back spin as I had cases where I hit my shots right at the pin but due to back spin it rolled back and fell into bunkers.
  3. Heavier feel. Again this is your personal choice but I like my clubs heavier. The stock shaft is also not wedge flex but again depending on your needs.
  4. Club face feel wise, I preferred this by a hair

SM7 pros:

1. For me the this clubs looks better to my eyes
  2. Stock grip feels better than RTX4 but if you are going to re-grip straight away, this is irrelevant.
  3. Grind options to suit anyone's needs
  4. Progressive CG location - can't really tell too much of a difference but whatever new tech they are trying to promote can't hurt I guess

Hope this helps.

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

RTX 4:

SM7:

its a coin toss, but i would say that to my eye the Cleveland looks better has an off the shelf raw option and has a stock shaft that i prefer.

Titleist Tsr2 9*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 15*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

I haven't hit RTX 4 but I'm currently doing a wedge test. I've made a thread about it, with data, go check it out. Basically, what I can probably guess and tell you is that you won't see much difference in spin, flight, etc between the wedges. It almost entirely comes down to looks, feel, etc.. which then may impact how you dynamically deliver the club. One week I'm loving my Glides... the next week I'm loving the SM7. I would wager that unless a player is extremely skilled and sensitive to the clubs... over the long run you won't notice any differences.

The MGS test shows just that. Yes they do "rank" them but the SG18 metric which uses thousands and thousands of shots shows you're gaining (or losing) at most .06 strokes per round. That pretty much means use what you "feel" is best in hand, don't sweat it too much.

I thought about buying RTX-4 wedges but the deciding factor was when I went on their website and not all finishes were offered in left handed and they only offered certain bounce options in their black finish.

Titleist offers all grinds and finishes in lefty. You can even get raw wedges if you pay the price through wedgeworks. As s lefty the decision was easy and one Cleveland made for me

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 Tour 3 Fairway 15.0D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

Both are excellent. Can’t go wrong. If the rtx4 grind fits, the sm7 options are irrelevant. I’d say it comes down to looks. Buy what fits your eye and you’ll be good.

• Mizuno STZ 220 Driver
  • Mizuno STX 220 3w
  • Mizuno STX 220 Hybrid
  • Mizuno Pro 225/223 Irons 
  • Mizuno T22 Copper Wedges
  • Mizuno/Timeless Putters
  • Titleist Pro V1 Ball

SM7 F grind is my favorite full grind.of any wedge Really versatile, great from bunkers, deep grass or tight lies.

The RTX4 low grind is my favorite for a lob wedge. Sits nice and flat, easy to hit gentle pitches. So I go SM7 F at 50 and 54 and RTX4 58 low grind.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I was doing some digging and ended up going with the RTX 4s myself. Being a lifelong Vokey guy and just over my third set of SM6s the RTX 4s are just too good looking and feel too good to pass up. That being said I am struggling to make the shift from my m grind (8°) 60° to the low bounce 60° in the RTX 4. Into the grain on dormant Bermuda it's night and day how the m grind rolls over the grass and the RTX 4 low bounce (more of a c grind) grabs unless I expose the bounce/train edge more with my technique. Hitting wedges 40 yards and out is a no brainier the RTX 4s outperform my old ones but those open face nippers around the green were less susceptible to flub with the m grind. Thinking of grabbing a mid bounce RTX4 60 and having the heel ground down a touch to mimic the old flame.

TSR3 10*(D1H1) - Tensie 1k White 60x

909D3 13* - Graffaloy Prolaunch Platinum 70x

Titleist T200 ('21) 3 - Mitsubishi MMT 105TX

Titleist T100 ('21) 4 & 5 - Project X 6.5

Titleist 630MB 6 - P - Project X 6.5

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 60 - Project X 6.5

Circa 62 #3 Oil Can 35"

I was doing some digging and ended up going with the RTX 4s myself. Being a lifelong Vokey guy and just over my third set of SM6s the RTX 4s are just too good looking and feel too good to pass up. That being said I am struggling to make the shift from my m grind (8°) 60° to the low bounce 60° in the RTX 4. Into the grain on dormant Bermuda it's night and day how the m grind rolls over the grass and the RTX 4 low bounce (more of a c grind) grabs unless I expose the bounce/train edge more with my technique. Hitting wedges 40 yards and out is a no brainier the RTX 4s outperform my old ones but those open face nippers around the green were less susceptible to flub with the m grind. Thinking of grabbing a mid bounce RTX4 60 and having the heel ground down a touch to mimic the old flame.

Man I'm glad I'm not the only one who experienced the flub! Sold my sm6s for some rtx 3s! Missed my m grind ever since and finally got a new sm7 60m for Christmas! Tight into the grain chips were killing me! Full shots were fine but flub city without my m grind! I only have experience with the rtx 3 though not the 4!

Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke

I too sold my sm6 for rtx3s. Sold them for more used than the rtx cost new...

I'm not a feel player so I don't notice any difference, and my score isnt raising. My hcp went down 4 pts since the switch but I don't attribute that to equipment.

I did like the look of the sm6 more at address. Sharper and the jet black is amazing. I like the look of the rtx more in bag. Cleaner backside and doesn't have some dude's name stamped on it (I see Cleveland as a company).

The low price of the Cleveland's allows me to tinker as well. Added a 60. Might get a 48

• 3 weeks later...

Just went back to 56* 60* after playing with 54* 58* for quite a few years. Being a cheaper wrx ho I was going to go with the Vokey SM6 as they still have some at PGA SS. Then I saw the Cleveland RTX4 Raw. Great looking wedges-a bit heftier feel than the Vokey which is good for me. What sealed the deal for me was the stock shaft-Tour Issue S400. I have always preferred S400 in wedges. First round in the books and the short game is back!

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Ok. I found this thread as I'm looking for another set of wedges from my Ping Glide. I like my Glide 54 SS and 58 ES. I play public courses in Central Ohio and seldom am I in a bunker, but I'm marginal at best in bunkers and don't have a ton of confidence with greenside chipping, flops, short pitches etc. I take little to no divot but I think the X Low 3° seems a bit too much. Do I go 54 M, 58 D in Vokey and if Cleveland what bounce options. #soconfusedinCentralOhio.

Tried them both.

Had a few Cleveland wedges and Vokeys over last few years but play the SM7 jet blacks.

Cleveland wedges feel better and probably spin a fraction more.

Vokey definitely feel firmed but they just look from all angles so so much better and all the grinds make them unbeatable in terms of a self-fitting

I went from SM4/5 to SM7 and the progressive CG is notable on full shots which is a big plus.

Cleveland wedges are best values wedges on the market though and I wouldn’t have a problem slotting these into the bag.

I went through the same debate last year when the RTX4's were first coming out. At the end of the day, I went with the club that gave me confidence over the ball. Both wedges perform great--no doubt there. But the RTX just felt a touch better and looked better to my eye. That said, I feel like getting the right sole/grind/bounce set up is really important for wedges. Maybe spend more time getting that sorted out or get fitted (on real grass). I think both Cleveland and Vokey do wedges days around the country.

I have owned both. When I bought my new Srixon irons I got the RTX4's to "stay within the same product line". Issues I had were, they didn't stop as consistently as other wedges I had. Some did... Some rolled out...etc. But, the biggest thing for me was distance control. I had None with the RTX4. Lob wedges could go 45 yards and they could go 75 yards. Sand wedge could go 65 yards and they could go 100 yards. I had No control over distances. Which was never a problem for me.

I switched to the SM7's and all is well. Great spin, and I can control the distances as I always have.

In my opinion it's no competition. SM7 all the way.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik

4 Wood: PXG Gen 5

7 Wood: PXG Gen 5 

Irons: Cleveland ZipCore XL (5-AW)
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 4 ZipCore  (54, 58)
Putter: Toulon Memphis

• 1 month later...

Similar to the post above, I was playing Vokeys but went to RTX-4 to match my Srixon's (plus I got a great deal). In my opinion, the Cleveland's feel better a little less harsh/clicky as the Vokeys. As far as spin, I have not seen any drop off shots have reacted very similar.

The biggest difference to me is the leading edge. The RTX-4 has the sharpest leading edges of any wedge I've used. The V sole interacts with the turf very nicely but if you are a major digger the leading edge might be a little too sharp/catch a little quicker.

If you're a picker/small divot guy like me I would give the overall edge to the RTX-4 mainly on feel. As others have said, you cant go wrong either way.

Similar to the post above, I was playing Vokeys but went to RTX-4 to match my Srixon's (plus I got a great deal). In my opinion, the Cleveland's feel better a little less harsh/clicky as the Vokeys. As far as spin, I have not seen any drop off shots have reacted very similar.

The biggest difference to me is the leading edge. The RTX-4 has the sharpest leading edges of any wedge I've used. The V sole interacts with the turf very nicely but if you are a major digger the leading edge might be a little too sharp/catch a little quicker.

If you're a picker/small divot guy like me I would give the overall edge to the RTX-4 mainly on feel. As others have said, you cant go wrong either way.

this is the primary reason i stay away from cleveland wedges. love look and feel when i hit them off mats but i'm a digger with wedges. also, the grinds on vokeys and callaways just work better for me. it's a shame(for me), because i think they're gorgeous and feel great.

I play SM7 F grinds for gap (50.08) and Sw (54.14) and both are excellent. The F grind from a bunker makes it easy. Vokey’s F grind is hard to beat for a full grind. You can still open it up a little if desired and that’s all I need. Not hitting flop shots with these. Great all arounders and I like their ‘solid’ feel. The blue slate finish on my 54 also looks excellent.

I play the RTX4 58.06 low-grind for lobs and it is super easy to slide under the ball. Have not had any digging issues. If you focus on hitting the ground with the sole first it won’t dig and easily pitches the ball. Leading with the leading edge of any wedge to clip the ball is hard to do well consistently and that’s why pros don’t do it. I did that for too long until I was shown better technique and it greatly reduced digging — or skulling to avoid digging. Very good grind for shots off tight lies on the apron. I really like how low the leading edge looks at address and the slight curve to it. Visually, it just looks to me like I can use the bounce and the front edge is easy to slide under the ball.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

• 5 months later...

Resurrecting this old thread, but recently switched from SM6 to RTX4 in my PW and 50*. I changed shafts, so this isn't exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, but I agree with what's been said above:

- RTX is less clicky

- RTX spins slightly more

- Sharper leading edge on the RTX

- Vokeys look better in the bag.

It could be the honeymoon perion, but I prefer the RTX 4s right now.

Ping G430 LST 10.5°, Fujikura Ventus Red TR 6X
TaylorMade Stealth Rescue 22° Fujikura Ventus 8X
Miura KM-700, 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 Wedgeworks: 52-12F, 56-10S, 60-04T DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx 
Vokey Limited Edition: 64-04W, DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx
LAB Mezz.1 Arm Lock LAGP White Shaft

No direct Apple to Apple comparison but I had the rtx 4’s in raw. 54* in med bounce and 60* low bounce with s400s. Couldn’t get rid of them fast enough. Bought vokey sm7s. I found the vokeys better looking and softer. I got the 54* f grind 14 and the 60* d grind 12 in S300s. To be fair it could have been the bounce and shaft differences.

RT Charger hullo from a 588 and Hemi fan.They are both great offerings. You may end up two clevo two sm7 i wouldnt buy 4 of anything.Best to buy one each of the more important lofts eg 58 for me.I tested 4 58/60 over xmas fron 200 sm2 k grind and s grind sm6 S grind was The Find.Happiness.

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

I just bought a set of SM7s. The number one reason was that in two seasons when I’ve worn them out I know I can just go buy SM8/9/10 and it’ll be pretty much a direct replacement. Wedges haven’t made any huge advances in a number of years. I hate falling in love with a set, wearing it out, then having to start all over again. Vokey is the one company that doesn’t need to try and do anything drastic to sell a bunch of wedges. Every couple of years they make a few refinements and change up the look a little or offer some new tour only grinds, but the clubs look and play pretty much the same. For wedges I prefer consistency over innovation.

I have the RTX4 50,54,58 all mid bounce in the raw finish. The lead edge was sharp but I grind the lead edge on almost all my wedges so they now have a nice blunted edge. The feel of these heads is really good and very solid. I love the sole grinds and the versatility to hit all the shots. Tour issue s400 is a nice addition as well. They are both great wedges I just prefer the shape of the Cleveland’s better. I’ve been very happy with them in the bag and I love their raw finish.

rt2ytnp5d1mj.jpeg

imhg8wjp282f.jpeg

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter