2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

True Spec Golf Fitting Review - Aug. 2017 (NYC)

benzenbe

In Short: I cannot imagine having a more enjoyable club fitting experience anywhere else and look forward to a putter fitting with True Spec in the near future.

I haven’t seen too many threads providing fitting experiences/reviews, especially with True Spec Golf (https://www.truespecgolf.com/). For those of you not familiar with True Spec, here are highlights:

• Founded in 2014
  • 15 Locations in 6 Countries:
    • North America: Bronx (NY), Chicago (IL), Columbus (OH), Jupiter (FL), Miami (FL), Naples (FL), New York City (NY), Orlando (FL), and Nassau (Bahamas)
    • Europe: Geneva (Switzerland), Sotogrande (Spain), and Turnberry (Scotland)
    • Asia: Hanoi (Vietnam) and Tokyo (Japan)

[*]Partner Brands

• Club Manufacturers: Bettinardi, Callaway, Cleveland, Cobra, Epon, ENVROLL, Fourteen, Gimar, Miura, Mizuno, Odyssey, Ping, PXG, SeeMore, Srixon, TaylorMade, and Titleist
    • Shaft Manufacturers: Accra, Aerotech, Fujikura, Graphite Design, KBS, Matrix, Mitsubishi Rayon, Nippon, Oban, True Temper, UST Mamiya, and Veylix

Now onto my experience. In December 2016, True Spec was running a holiday special discount: $100 off a full bag fitting (except for putter). Fortunately, my girlfriend is kind enough to support my addition and was kind enough to gift me my first custom fitting. But before I decided to get fit, I wanted to play a decent amount of the 2017 season to provide a quality “baseline” comparison between my current off-the-shelf clubs and properly fit clubs.

Old Clubs and “Normal” Distance (based on data from 14 rounds with Arccos):

• TaylorMade R11S 9* (Stiff Flex) – 275 Yds
  • TaylorMade Burner Fairway 3 Wood 15* (Regular Flex) – 235 Yds
  • TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0 3 Hybrid 18* (Regular Flex) – 185 Yds
  • Callaway X-22 Irons (4 to AW) – 170 Yds (6 Iron)
  • Bombtech 56* – 90 Yds
  • Cleveland 60* – 70 Yds
  • Scotty Futura X5

In mid-July, I called True Spec up and scheduled my full bag fitting over two mornings from 9 AM to 11 AM; Day 1 for Irons and Wedges, Day 2 for Woods. After taking the subway from downtown NYC to Penn Station, I walked over and quickly knew I was in the right place.

True Spec’s NYC location is housed inside Golf & Body NYC. While an entire post can be made about Golf & Body, it’s easier to just say that it’s essentially an “indoor country club” equipped with Trackman simulators, a huge putting green, and a full-blown gym.

On Day 1, I worked with True Spec fitter Tyler. We started the fitting by having me warm up while Tyler took some fundamental data on my irons and wedges (e.g., loft, lie angle, shaft flex). Once I was warm, Tyler explained that True Spec collects data using the Foresight Sports GCQuad launch monitor and the iron fitting will be based off 6 iron data. In addition, he wanted to see if I had any questions, club preferences, or goals in mind before we collected our first data point. I explained that I never been fit, currently am a 12 handicap, and would prefer a forged, players iron (presuming my ball striking and club speed would allow). Tyler reassured me he’d do everything he can to put the best club in my hands, and that we could now start taking some baseline data with my 6 iron. After a couple shots, we eliminated the mishits and averaged:

• 121 MPH Ball Speed
  • ~19* Launch Angle
  • ~6300 RPMs
  • 170 Yds (Carry)
  • 180 Yds (Total)
  • 107 Ft. Peak Heigh

To keep it short, Tyler and I spent the next 2 hours trying 10 different irons with nearly as many different shafts. Between the data and personal preference, we narrowed it down to the following top performers (with their average data):

• Srixon Z 565s with KBS C-Taper Parallel Tip Shafts (Stiff); 125 MPH Ball Speed, ~18* Launch Angle, ~5600 RPMs, 180 Yds (Carry), 190 Yds (Total)
  • TaylorMade P770 with Project X LZ 6.0; 123 MPH Ball Speed, ~20* Launch Angle, ~5700 RPMs, 176 Yds (Carry), 185 Yds (Total)
  • Titleist AP2s with KBS C-Taper Parallel Tip Shafts (Stiff); 121 MPH Ball Speed, ~18* Launch Angle, ~6300 RPMs, 175 Yds (Carry), 185 Yds (Total)

Fortunately, I didn’t have to make any decisions on the spot, so we then started the wedge fitting. Unfortunately, I don’t have any baseline data, but after about an hour we decided that the combination I got the best feel and performance from was Vokey SM6s in 56* (with 14* bounce) and 60* (with 10* bounce), paired with the KBS 610 Wedge Shaft (Stiff).

In addition to being really pleased with how the entire experience was going, Tyler was kind enough to email me with all the GC Quad data we collected throughout the fitting about an hour after we finished.

On Day 2, I was teamed up with Doug and, as many great things I could say about Tyler, he was incredible. After receiving my Day 1 results, I naturally I hopped on the forums and started to read reviews. As a result, I had lots of questions for Doug before we even started. Doug was very patient and answered every question I had and, after addressing my anxiety, asked if there were any clubs I wanted to hit that I might have missed out on. As eager as I was to try a few more irons, we agreed that it was best to start hitting some woods while I was fresh. Similar to Day 1, Doug asked me to start warming up with my driver so we could get some baseline data:

• 148 MPH Ball Speed
  • 110 MPH Club Speed
  • ~12* Launch Angle
  • ~3300 RPMs
  • 250 Yds (Carry)
  • 270 Yds (Total)
  • ~39* Descent Angle

From there, we quickly jumped into hitting some top-notch heads (Taylormade M1 and M2, Callaway Epic and Epic Sub Zero, Ping G400, and Titleist 917 D3) and shafts (Fujikura Pro XLR8, Mitsubishi C6 Blue and TENSEI CK, Aldila Tour Blue and Rogue Black, etc.). It was immediately apparent that we needed to find a combination that would help get my spin down. After about an hour of mixing and matching, the Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.0* with UST Mamiya Elements Platinum shaft stood head and shoulders above everything (152 MPH Ball Speed, ~10* Launch Angle, ~2600 RPMs, 265 Yds Carry, 288 Total).

We then turned to 3 Woods. Baseline data with my TM Burner:

• 143 MPH Ball Speed
  • 106 MPH Club Speed
  • ~11* Launch Angle
  • ~3900 RPMs
  • 220 Yds (Carry)
  • 235 Yds (Total)
  • ~26* Descent Angle

Ironically, we ultimately ended up with the first combination Doug put in my hands, but only after we verified it with a similar sampling of head and shaft combinations. TaylorMade M2 3 Wood 16.5* (High Launch) with Graphite Design Tour AD (152 MPH Ball Speed, 107 MPH Club Speed, ~11* Launch Angle, ~3300 RPMs, 236 Yds Carry, 255 Total).

Finally, replacing my Hybrid. Full disclosure, I hate my Hybrid. 99% of the shots end with a cursing, thoughts of club throwing, and a frustrating pull hook. I came into my fitting with the hopes that if my club speed was high enough, that I could be fitted for a Driving Iron or carry a 3 Iron. Unfortunately, Doug informed me that True Spec currently does not fit for Dis, but Doug was able to convince me that I should some 5 Woods and properly fit Hybrids a chance before dismissing them altogether. After spending an hour trying a few Hybrid and 5 Wood combinations, I (ironically) found out that TaylorMade M2 5 Wood 18* also with Graphite Design Tour AD (144 MPH Ball Speed, 105 MPH Club Speed, ~12* Launch Angle, ~4100 RPMs, 219 Yds Carry, 234 Total) would outperform a 3 iron.

NOW after spending the past three and half hours dialing in my new woods, Doug reminded me that the offer to hit some extra irons stood as long as I had the energy. I was all for it and while taking a brief water break, Doug asked if I had any specific concerns about how yesterday went. I explained that as much as I loved how the Srixon Z 565s performed, I really wanted a forged iron that would demand me to play better golf while simultaneously not leading me to quit golfing. I then asked Doug if I could hit the Miura CB 1008s, the Titleist AP2s (again), Mizuno JPX Tours, and the Srixon Z 765s. Also, just to check my ego, I asked to hit the Miura Tournament Blades MB001s. As much as I wished I could play the MBs, I knew that I currently don’t have the skill to enjoy them. Fortunately, the extra time was not wasted. In fact, Doug and I were able to determine that I could hit the Z 765, and that it was up to me to either: (1) go with a quality combination set (Srixon Z 565s for 4 through 6 irons and Srixon Z 765s for 7 through Gap Wedge); or (2) go with a full bag of Z 565s or 765s. Once again, there was no pressure to make a decision on the spot and after a couple of days, I decided to go with a full bag of the Z 765s.

But before ending Day 2, Doug took the time to walk me through all the custom accessories and options. After trying and talking about every possibility, I decided on customizing the Callaway Epic SZ with White Rails, Crown and Sole, along with White NO1 50 Series grips on all my woods. The Srixons would just get Black NO1 50 Pro Series grips. And as for my Vokey SM6 wedges, I opted for the Raw Black Finish also with Black NO1 50 Pro Series grips, finished off with some custom Wedge Stamping and White Paintfill.

To wrap things up, True Spec delivered on everything I expected and could’ve wanted from a custom fitting. I genuinely appreciate the time Tyler and Doug spent with me to ensure that I will be ordering a set of clubs that will perform and I look forward to playing with.

Furthermore, True Spec is available to golfers all across the world. As a result, I would highly recommend that anyone who is looking to be fit for clubs to, at a minimum, consider True Spec Golf. I know that before I decided to get fit, I decided to meet with two reputable NYC-private fitters and two competing national club fitters. Despite the time I spent speaking with and building a rapport with these other fitters, True Spec stood out and exceeded all expectations.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Short: I cannot imagine having a more enjoyable club fitting experience anywhere else and look forward to a putter fitting with True Spec in the near future.

I haven’t seen too many threads providing fitting experiences/reviews, especially with True Spec Golf (https://www.truespecgolf.com/). For those of you not familiar with True Spec, here are highlights:

• Founded in 2014
    • North America: Bronx (NY), Chicago (IL), Columbus (OH), Jupiter (FL), Miami (FL), Naples (FL), New York City (NY), Orlando (FL), and Nassau (Bahamas)

[*]Partner Brands

• Club Manufacturers: Bettinardi, Callaway, Cleveland, Cobra, Epon, ENVROLL, Fourteen, Gimar, Miura, Mizuno, Odyssey, Ping, PXG, SeeMore, Srixon, TaylorMade, and Titleist
    • Shaft Manufacturers: Accra, Aerotech, Fujikura, Graphite Design, KBS, Matrix, Mitsubishi Rayon, Nippon, Oban, True Temper, UST Mamiya, and Veylix

Now onto my experience. In December 2016, True Spec was running a holiday special discount: $100 off a full bag fitting (except for putter). Fortunately, my girlfriend is kind enough to support my addition and was kind enough to gift me my first custom fitting. But before I decided to get fit, I wanted to play a decent amount of the 2017 season to provide a quality “baseline” comparison between my current off-the-shelf clubs and properly fit clubs.

• Bombtech 56* – 90 Yds
  • Cleveland 60* – 70 Yds
  • Scotty Futura X5

In mid-July, I called True Spec up and scheduled my full bag fitting over two mornings from 9 AM to 11 AM; Day 1 for Irons and Wedges, Day 2 for Woods. After taking the subway from downtown NYC to Penn Station, I walked over and quickly knew I was in the right place.

True Spec’s NYC location is housed inside Golf & Body NYC. While an entire post can be made about Golf & Body, it’s easier to just say that it’s essentially an “indoor country club” equipped with Trackman simulators, a huge putting green, and a full-blown gym.

On Day 1, I worked with True Spec fitter Tyler. We started the fitting by having me warm up while Tyler took some fundamental data on my irons and wedges (e.g., loft, lie angle, shaft flex). Once I was warm, Tyler explained that True Spec collects data using the Foresight Sports GCQuad launch monitor and the iron fitting will be based off 6 iron data. In addition, he wanted to see if I had any questions, club preferences, or goals in mind before we collected our first data point. I explained that I never been fit, currently am a 12 handicap, and would prefer a forged, players iron (presuming my ball striking and club speed would allow). Tyler reassured me he’d do everything he can to put the best club in my hands, and that we could now start taking some baseline data with my 6 iron. After a couple shots, we eliminated the mishits and averaged:

• 121 MPH Ball Speed
  • ~19* Launch Angle
  • ~6300 RPMs
  • 170 Yds (Carry)
  • 180 Yds (Total)
  • 107 Ft. Peak Heigh

To keep it short, Tyler and I spent the next 2 hours trying 10 different irons with nearly as many different shafts. Between the data and personal preference, we narrowed it down to the following top performers (with their average data):

• Srixon Z 565s with KBS C-Taper Parallel Tip Shafts (Stiff); 125 MPH Ball Speed, ~18* Launch Angle, ~5600 RPMs, 180 Yds (Carry), 190 Yds (Total)
  • TaylorMade P770 with Project X LZ 6.0; 123 MPH Ball Speed, ~20* Launch Angle, ~5700 RPMs, 176 Yds (Carry), 185 Yds (Total)
  • Titleist AP2s with KBS C-Taper Parallel Tip Shafts (Stiff); 121 MPH Ball Speed, ~18* Launch Angle, ~6300 RPMs, 175 Yds (Carry), 185 Yds (Total)

Fortunately, I didn’t have to make any decisions on the spot, so we then started the wedge fitting. Unfortunately, I don’t have any baseline data, but after about an hour we decided that the combination I got the best feel and performance from was Vokey SM6s in 56* (with 14* bounce) and 60* (with 10* bounce), paired with the KBS 610 Wedge Shaft (Stiff).

In addition to being really pleased with how the entire experience was going, Tyler was kind enough to email me with all the GC Quad data we collected throughout the fitting about an hour after we finished.

On Day 2, I was teamed up with Doug and, as many great things I could say about Tyler, he was incredible. After receiving my Day 1 results, I naturally I hopped on the forums and started to read reviews. As a result, I had lots of questions for Doug before we even started. Doug was very patient and answered every question I had and, after addressing my anxiety, asked if there were any clubs I wanted to hit that I might have missed out on. As eager as I was to try a few more irons, we agreed that it was best to start hitting some woods while I was fresh. Similar to Day 1, Doug asked me to start warming up with my driver so we could get some baseline data:

• 148 MPH Ball Speed
  • 110 MPH Club Speed
  • ~12* Launch Angle
  • ~3300 RPMs
  • 250 Yds (Carry)
  • 270 Yds (Total)
  • ~39* Descent Angle

From there, we quickly jumped into hitting some top-notch heads (Taylormade M1 and M2, Callaway Epic and Epic Sub Zero, Ping G400, and Titleist 917 D3) and shafts (Fujikura Pro XLR8, Mitsubishi C6 Blue and TENSEI CK, Aldila Tour Blue and Rogue Black, etc.). It was immediately apparent that we needed to find a combination that would help get my spin down. After about an hour of mixing and matching, the Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.0* with UST Mamiya Elements Platinum shaft stood head and shoulders above everything (152 MPH Ball Speed, ~10* Launch Angle, ~3400 RPMs, 265 Yds Carry, 288 Total).

• 143 MPH Ball Speed
  • 106 MPH Club Speed
  • ~11* Launch Angle
  • ~3900 RPMs
  • 220 Yds (Carry)
  • 235 Yds (Total)
  • ~26* Descent Angle

Ironically, we ultimately ended up with the first combination Doug put in my hands, but only after we verified it with a similar sampling of head and shaft combinations. TaylorMade M2 3 Wood 16.5* (High Launch) with Graphite Design Tour AD (152 MPH Ball Speed, 107 MPH Club Speed, ~11* Launch Angle, ~3300 RPMs, 236 Yds Carry, 255 Total).

Finally, replacing my Hybrid. Full disclosure, I hate my Hybrid. 99% of the shots end with a cursing, thoughts of club throwing, and a frustrating pull hook. I came into my fitting with the hopes that if my club speed was high enough, that I could be fitted for a Driving Iron or carry a 3 Iron. Unfortunately, Doug informed me that True Spec currently does not fit for Dis, but Doug was able to convince me that I should some 5 Woods and properly fit Hybrids a chance before dismissing them altogether. After spending an hour trying a few Hybrid and 5 Wood combinations, I (ironically) found out that TaylorMade M2 5 Wood 18* also with Graphite Design Tour AD (144 MPH Ball Speed, 105 MPH Club Speed, ~12* Launch Angle, ~4100 RPMs, 219 Yds Carry, 234 Total) would outperform a 3 iron.

NOW after spending the past three and half hours dialing in my new woods, Doug reminded me that the offer to hit some extra irons stood as long as I had the energy. I was all for it and while taking a brief water break, Doug asked if I had any specific concerns about how yesterday went. I explained that as much as I loved how the Srixon Z 565s performed, I really wanted a forged iron that would demand me to play better golf while simultaneously not leading me to quit golfing. I then asked Doug if I could hit the Miura CB 1008s, the Titleist AP2s (again), Mizuno JPX Tours, and the Srixon Z 765s. Also, just to check my ego, I asked to hit the Miura Tournament Blades MB001s. As much as I wished I could play the MBs, I knew that I currently don’t have the skill to enjoy them. Fortunately, the extra time was not wasted. In fact, Doug and I were able to determine that I could hit the Z 765, and that it was up to me to either: (1) go with a quality combination set (Srixon Z 565s for 4 through 6 irons and Srixon Z 765s for 7 through Gap Wedge); or (2) go with a full bag of Z 565s or 765s. Once again, there was no pressure to make a decision on the spot and after a couple of days, I decided to go with a full bag of the Z 765s.

But before ending Day 2, Doug took the time to walk me through all the custom accessories and options. After trying and talking about every possibility, I decided on customizing the Callaway Epic SZ with White Rails, Crown and Sole, along with White NO1 50 Series grips on all my woods. The Srixons would just get Black NO1 50 Pro Series grips. And as for my Vokey SM6 wedges, I opted for the Raw Black Finish also with Black NO1 50 Pro Series grips, finished off with some custom Wedge Stamping and White Paintfill.

To wrap things up, True Spec delivered on everything I expected and could’ve wanted from a custom fitting. I genuinely appreciate the time Tyler and Doug spent with me to ensure that I will be ordering a set of clubs that will perform and I look forward to playing with.

Furthermore, True Spec is available to golfers all across the world. As a result, I would highly recommend that anyone who is looking to be fit for clubs to, at a minimum, consider True Spec Golf. I know that before I decided to get fit, I decided to meet with two reputable NYC-private fitters and two competing national club fitters. Despite the time I spent speaking with and building a rapport with these other fitters, True Spec stood out and exceeded all expectations.

Awesome review. Thanks for sharing!

Driver: Epic  Max LS  - Ventus (velocore) Blue - 7X
Fairway: Epic Speed 13.5 - Ventus (velocore) Blue - 7X
Hybrid: Titleist 818 H1 - Tensei Pro White - 100TX
4-P: Ping Blueprints - X100
Wedges: Vokey SM8 raw 51F, 55F, and 59 low-bounce K - DG TI S400 
Putter: 21' Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Ball: 21' TP5X

Does the cost of the fitting go towards your purchase through them or is it a stand alone fee? Would love to go and check out their new location in Chicago.

Stand alone, but if you're not in a rush keep your eyes open for a seasonal deal (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.). Like I mentioned, a normal full bag fitting (no putter) is $350 but my fiance scooped it up around Christmas for $250

Does the cost of the fitting go towards your purchase through them or is it a stand alone fee? Would love to go and check out their new location in Chicago.

Stand alone, but if you're not in a rush keep your eyes open for a seasonal deal (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.). Like I mentioned, a normal full bag fitting (no putter) is $350 but my fiance scooped it up around Christmas for $250

I've been meaning to get fit for wedges and would ideally like to go to a nice place and not just using some swing analyzer thing at Golf Galaxy. I just don't want to pay like $500-$600 for a couple wedges. I'll definitely look for some holiday deals though.

I have bought irons and woods through True Spec in Columbus Ohio and for sure it was a great experience. Fortunately they do it there hitting off of grass; for me that is an optimal experience. Hitting irons and wedges off of a mat doesn't have the same feel for me.

If you are worried about the club fitting fee then True Spec is NOT for you. The clubs end up being quite expensive; for instance, my 3 wood cost:

TM M2 2017 FW 3W $249.99

Oban Revenge 75 04 $260.00

Golf Price CP2 Pro Std grip $10.00

SST Pure $30.00

TOTAL: $549.99

I am guessing I could source the parts and build it cheaper myself, but I don't know the shaft CPM, flex pattern or swingweight on the demo club I was fitted to like they do.

I've been meaning to get fit for wedges and would ideally like to go to a nice place and not just using some swing analyzer thing at Golf Galaxy. I just don't want to pay like $500-$600 for a couple wedges. I'll definitely look for some holiday deals though.

Besides the fitting fee, you could easily go in there and set a price ceiling. Like I mentioned, I went with Vokeys, but I had nearly every option from Cleveland RTX-3s to Epon Tours.

I have bought irons and woods through True Spec in Columbus Ohio and for sure it was a great experience. Fortunately they do it there hitting off of grass; for me that is an optimal experience. Hitting irons and wedges off of a mat doesn't have the same feel for me.

I had the option to do my fitting outside at Trump Ferry Point in the Bronx, but A) getting fit at Golf & Body was much more convenient (I live in the Financial District, so it was a 20 min subway ride as opposed to a possible hour long cab ride); and B) I was worried about battling the elements (wind in particular). Fortunately, the GC Quad catches all the important club data points and True Spec/Golf & Body doesn't have cheap, driving range mats in their bays.

Doug is a great guy and True Spec are number 1 in my books. I know about 10 people that have been fit by Doug and all of them have had a positive experience.

Yea, meant a lot when I found out hes got ~5 years of fitting experience (pretty sure most of them are with True Spec) and genuinely welcomed all of my input and feedback. Now if there was only a way that I could get my clubs overnighted for this weekend.

Is there anyone that can provide a comparison to Club Champion, Cool Clubs or both? After 5 years my current irons are starting to get worn out, and I'm thinking of replacing them after this season. Being in the Chicago area I have the option of visiting all three. I've been to Club Champion, at first I was impressed. The full bag fitting I did was great, the fitter was honest telling me he couldn't beat my current fairway and driver setup. We did find a better iron setup. For the irons the shafts were available from the manufacturer so I just ordered through my club. I went back a few years later to upgrade my woods, and I felt I was pushed into an exotic combination, with a different fitter. I bought the setup based on the numbers but couldn't hit them worth a lick on the course.

Skip forward and I tried Cool Clubs to upgrade my woods. I wasn't pressured into buying anything, the fitter was honest in that it would be hard to beat my current setup. He gave me the recommendations, but I left everything as is. The only thing I found funny is that they started making their own version of shafts (eg. instead of Diamana blueboards they market a custom shaft they built with Diamana).

Basically, I'm leaning to going to Cool Clubs for my irons, but the TrueSpec write-up above is intriguing.

Any feedback on how TrueSpec compares would be appreciated.

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* -  Ventus Black TR
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus Blue TR
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 19* - Ventus Blue TR
Mizuno 923 Forged - KBS Tour V
Titleist SM9 - 54 & 58 - KBS 610 Wedge
Odyssey TriHot 5k Triple Wide

• 3 weeks later...

Is there anyone that can provide a comparison to Club Champion, Cool Clubs or both? After 5 years my current irons are starting to get worn out, and I'm thinking of replacing them after this season. Being in the Chicago area I have the option of visiting all three. I've been to Club Champion, at first I was impressed. The full bag fitting I did was great, the fitter was honest telling me he couldn't beat my current fairway and driver setup. We did find a better iron setup. For the irons the shafts were available from the manufacturer so I just ordered through my club. I went back a few years later to upgrade my woods, and I felt I was pushed into an exotic combination, with a different fitter. I bought the setup based on the numbers but couldn't hit them worth a lick on the course.

Skip forward and I tried Cool Clubs to upgrade my woods. I wasn't pressured into buying anything, the fitter was honest in that it would be hard to beat my current setup. He gave me the recommendations, but I left everything as is. The only thing I found funny is that they started making their own version of shafts (eg. instead of Diamana blueboards they market a custom shaft they built with Diamana).

Basically, I'm leaning to going to Cool Clubs for my irons, but the TrueSpec write-up above is intriguing.

Any feedback on how TrueSpec compares would be appreciated.

I can't offer a true comparison, but I actually stopped in a Club Champion before I did my fitting at True Spec. The only "immediate" difference I can point out is that Club Champion used Trackman while True Spec used the Foresight GC Quad. Otherwise, True Spec really seems to embody the "if it's not broke, don't fix it" mantra. Ironically, I actually had some difficulty finding a driver that outperformed my current gamer and Doug (my fitter) explained that I might already have the perfect pairing. AND then we snapped in the UST Mamiya Elements Platinum shaft with the TM M2 head and Callaway Epic SZ heads. Both of those combinations generated the "ah ha" moment along with some meaningful gains.

In addition to talking me through all the data points, what we were targeting, and answering every question I had, everything and anything I was interested in hitting was available to test run a few shots--whether it was a mainstream brand (TaylorMade, Ping, Mizuno) or exotics (PXG and Miura). Furthermore, Doug's also been very accommodating since my fitting (especially after I was provided an estimate and then wanted to change my wedge stamping).

I'm sure True Spec, Cool Clubs, and Club Champion are all capable of building an excellent set of clubs, but what's going to set them apart is the customer service (particularly post fitting). For what it's worth, the True Spec Chicago is brand new (like 1 month old) and the facilities are probably beautiful. Ironically enough, another blog did a review and podcast interview with the fitters (http://spearsongolf.com/?p=5671).

Sounds like a sweet fitting. i did one a couple years ago at Club Champion and loved it! My only 'meh' was the putter fitting. I wasn't super thrilled with that. Does TrueSpec include the putter fitting in the Whole Bag fitting? If you did it, how was it?

Do they give you the sheet with all of the recs and specs on it? Club Champion did for me and I pieced it all together myself at half the cost.

We just had a TrueSpec location open up here in Chicago so I've been curious.

Thanks!

Sounds like a sweet fitting. i did one a couple years ago at Club Champion and loved it! My only 'meh' was the putter fitting. I wasn't super thrilled with that. Does TrueSpec include the putter fitting in the Whole Bag fitting? If you did it, how was it?

Do they give you the sheet with all of the recs and specs on it? Club Champion did for me and I pieced it all together myself at half the cost.

Thanks!

No, the normal "full bag" fitting is everything but the putter fitting (however, there is a full bag with putter fitting). That said, it actually worked out in my favor since I've been trying a few different putting grips recently and it wouldn't make sense to get fit until I commit to a particular putting style.

Like I mentioned, I received the complete Foresight data files for both days within an hour after my fitting. The main data points were ball speed, launch angle, backspin, sidespin, carry distance, total distance, offline, descent angle and peak height. And it goes without saying, but each one of those data points played a role in the fitting process when we started identifying certain head and shaft combinations that worked (or didn't work) for me. I guess you could piece it together on your own, but I like knowing that if the clubs don't work, any adjustments need to be made or something breaks/is defective, True Spec stands behind the product and I'd be able to work with them to sort it out.

Thanks!

If you're set on getting a nice putter, I can't recommend enough going to Bettinardi Studio B in Tinley Park. The fitting is free if you buy a putter there. You get fit and then Brad (the fitter) builds it right there for you to take home that day.

I have no affiliation with Bettinardi aside from being a happy customer.

Just a short update. I placed my order for the clubs on September 8 and Doug (my fitter) said that I should expect a 3-week build time. Well, True Spec Customer Service emailed me today and said the clubs are getting shipped out tomorrow! Over a week in advance, so hopefully I'll have them by the end of the month for some fall golf

So the clubs arrived late Thursday night and I had the opportunity to play a round with them on Saturday. Obviously will take a few more rounds to adjust to the new distances, but WOW -- the 765s cut right through any rough and the forged feeling is incredible. Not soft and mushy, but it feels effortless when you square it up and compress the ball. The Vokeys also feel great; definitely getting plenty of spin with a couple one hop & stop pitch shots.

• 2 weeks later...

So the clubs arrived late Thursday night and I had the opportunity to play a round with them on Saturday. Obviously will take a few more rounds to adjust to the new distances, but WOW -- the 765s cut right through any rough and the forged feeling is incredible. Not soft and mushy, but it feels effortless when you square it up and compress the ball. The Vokeys also feel great; definitely getting plenty of spin with a couple one hop & stop pitch shots.

Friggen love the the wedge customization! The best I've ever seen.

WELL DONE!

Great write up on TrueSpec golf in NYC. Doug was my fitter when I went both times. I ended up retrofitting my irons and ended up getting aerotech steelfiber i95s. Hoping to get them back this week actually. Stand up crew over there.

TSR3|10.0|Tour AD-DI 6S TSi2|14.5|Tensei Blue 7S TSi2|21|HZDUS Smoke 6.0 MP-18 MMC Fli Hi 5i & 6i|KBS C-Taper Lite S MP-18 SC (Mizuno Pro Limited Copper) 6-PW|KBS Tour S Vokey SM7 50.F Slate Blue|Modus 125 Vokey SM7 54.S Slate Blue|Modus 125 Vokey SM7 58.K Slate Blue|Modus 125 Scotty Cameron Tour Brushed Black CARBON Timeless Circle T 350G Pro V1X

Friggen love the the wedge customization! The best I've ever seen.

WELL DONE!

If you think that is good stamping on a wedge, you've never seen someone stamp a wedge well. Looks like a kid making minimum wage did it. I would be disappointed if those arrived to me like that.

917D3 8.5* Atmos Blue 6X
917F2 15* Motore Speeder 7.2 X
915Hd 20.5* Rogue Black 85 S
716 AP2 4-PW Project X LZ 5.5 tipped .5"
Vokey SM6 50.12* F, TVD 54* K 58* K
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 2 KBS Tour Custom Black/Blue 34"

• 1 year later...

• Founded in 2014

[*]Partner Brands

• Bombtech 56* – 90 Yds
  • Cleveland 60* – 70 Yds
  • Scotty Futura X5

• 121 MPH Ball Speed
  • ~19* Launch Angle
  • ~6300 RPMs
  • 170 Yds (Carry)
  • 180 Yds (Total)
  • 107 Ft. Peak Heigh

• 148 MPH Ball Speed
  • 110 MPH Club Speed
  • ~12* Launch Angle
  • ~3300 RPMs
  • 250 Yds (Carry)
  • 270 Yds (Total)
  • ~39* Descent Angle

From there, we quickly jumped into hitting some top-notch heads (Taylormade M1 and M2, Callaway Epic and Epic Sub Zero, Ping G400, and Titleist 917 D3) and shafts (Fujikura Pro XLR8, Mitsubishi C6 Blue and TENSEI CK, Aldila Tour Blue and Rogue Black, etc.). It was immediately apparent that we needed to find a combination that would help get my spin down. After about an hour of mixing and matching, the Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.0* with UST Mamiya Elements Platinum shaft stood head and shoulders above everything (152 MPH Ball Speed, ~10* Launch Angle, ~2600 RPMs, 265 Yds Carry, 288 Total).

• 143 MPH Ball Speed
  • 106 MPH Club Speed
  • ~11* Launch Angle
  • ~3900 RPMs
  • 220 Yds (Carry)
  • 235 Yds (Total)
  • ~26* Descent Angle

Great Review and beautiful clubs Benzenbe. Thinking about going for a driver fitting at TrueSpec NYC.

WITB 2023

Titleist TSR3 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6x
Callaway Apex UT 17 Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7x
Sim 2 Rescue 19* Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 85X

TaylorMade P770 2017 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 120x
Titleist Vokey SM8 50*,54*,58*
Scoty Cameron Phantom X 9.5
Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

Titleist Linksmaster Club Bag

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a gift certificate to the NYC True Spec. My entire bag was fitted awhile back but you know how long that lasts.... this was helpful.

TM M5 10.5* Diamana BF 60TX
TM M1 15* Diamana Kai'li 80g X
Titleist 716 T-MB 3; 620 CB 4-PW Project X 6.0
TM Milled Grind 50, 54; Hi-Toe 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2
ProV1