Driving distance for girls by age

TigerMom

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can’t speak for all ages but my daughter played in the Holiday Classic as a 10 year old last year. They had trackman on one of the holes collecting data. The guy from US Kids sent me the data that they collected and the average 10’year old had a swing speed of 69mph and hit the ball 162 yds. My daughter is now 11 and has a swing speed of 65-68 mph and hits is 165. There are girls in her age group that can get close to 200 but that is the elite girls and also ones who are big for their age. My guess is you can subtract 10’yds for each age group that you go down and add 10 yds for each one that you go up.

Elite drivers...total distance and counting 10-15 yards of roll...ages 6 and 7 May have a lot more roll out

Age 6: 100

Age 7: 140

Age 8: 165

Age 9: 180

My best guesses, thoughts?

That is real high even for boys. There is a thread on this somewhere in the junior section.

http://www.golfwrx.c...e__hl__distance

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Driving distances for kids are all over the map. Some kids can hit the ball pretty far. Distance is not a factor when there under 13 for girls if they can at least drive it more then 160 yards. Chances are they can still par the hole if they can hit it close on the 3rd shot.

My kid drives far and at 5000 yards it means she ends up not using a driver so her advantage is gone. She well over 200 yards and has a fast swing. It actually frustrating at smaller yardage for some kids. But kids grow at different rates so it will vary.

Once they get older though they need to driver over 220 to get any chance of doing well on a 5600-6000 yard course.

On a similar note, I noticed that a handful of girls ages 10/11 who have already hit their growth spurts, so that they don't look like little girls anymore. These girls are tall, look like teenagers, and absolutely crush it.

Boys ages 10/11 on the other hand still look like boys, except for one(which all the dads talk about (*cough *cough, ID).

On a similar note, I noticed that a handful of girls ages 10/11 who have already hit their growth spurts, so that they don't look like little girls anymore. These girls are tall, look like teenagers, and absolutely crush it.

Boys ages 10/11 on the other hand still look like boys, except for one(which all the dads talk about (*cough *cough, ID).

Exactly people don’t understand some girls are a foot taller then others. When their 14-15 is when distance matters in the long run. Some are just stronger earlier

My daughter does not look 11 and will crush the ball very long. She already much longer then most women but she is also taller too. The question is will she increase much more or level out.

If you use the results from the Drive, Chip and Putt Championship, you'd see the following:

Age 7-9 - 168 yards

Age 10-11 - 214 yards

Age 12-13 - 237 yards

Age 14-15 - 214 yards

There are the driving winners at each age so you have to think this is a high standard.

Avery in the 12-13 group?

No. 10-11

If you use the results from the Drive, Chip and Putt Championship, you'd see the following:

Age 7-9 - 168 yards

Age 10-11 - 214 yards

Age 12-13 - 237 yards

Age 14-15 - 214 yards

There are the driving winners at each age so you have to think this is a high standard.

Take the average for each age group without the ones that didn't get one on the grid. I think this gives you a more realistic view.

7-9: 150.79

10-11: 179.64

12-13: 217.85

14-15: 212.95

Age 7-9 - 168 yards

Age 10-11 - 214 yards

Age 12-13 - 237 yards

Age 14-15 - 214 yards

Take the average for each age group without the ones that didn't get one on the grid. I think this gives you a more realistic view.

Drive chip and putt is meaningless on how far an average kid hits. Take the same kid have them hit in Denver, Florida , California and every time the distance will be different even with the same driving range.

Once you take elevation and setup of the ranges like if there form or soft it will even change more.

Kids grow at different rates much better looking at what average women or men are driving an base it on height and weight.

A kid that’s 90 lbs is not going to be able hit that far until they grow. In 5 years that 90lbs kid might be 200lbs and driving 300 yards while the 175 lb kid is 185lbs and driving 250 yards.

Age 7-9 - 168 yards

Age 10-11 - 214 yards

Age 12-13 - 237 yards

Age 14-15 - 214 yards

Drive chip and putt is meaningless on how far an average kid hits. Take the same kid have them hit in Denver, Florida , California and every time the distance will be different even with the same driving range.

Once you take elevation and setup of the ranges like if there form or soft it will even change more.

Kids grow at different rates much better looking at what average women or men are driving an base it on height and weight.

A kid that's 90 lbs is not going to be able hit that far until they grow. In 5 years that 90lbs kid might be 200lbs and driving 300 yards while the 175 lb kid is 185lbs and driving 250 yards.

Didn't I just take the averages for each age group?

Age 7-9 - 168 yards

Age 10-11 - 214 yards

Age 12-13 - 237 yards

Age 14-15 - 214 yards

Avery in the 12-13 group?

She was in the 10-11 group.

Every kid is different and they hit their growth spurts and mature at different ages. My daughter (now in college) played frequently against a girl who at age 10 was 5'7" and very physically mature for her age. She looked to be about 17.

Early maturation is a tremendous advantage in the younger age groups. The aforementioned girl dominated USKids Worlds at 10 or 11 (cant remember), shooting a 62 in one of the rounds. She drove it onto many of the par 4s and otherwise was pin-high.

Eventually the others caught up and although she remained a very good player, she's now just an average length player. She is at Harvard though...

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Age 7-9 - 168 yards

Age 10-11 - 214 yards

Age 12-13 - 237 yards

Age 14-15 - 214 yards

A kid that's 90 lbs is not going to be able hit that far until they grow. In 5 years that 90lbs kid might be 200lbs and driving 300 yards while the 175 lb kid is 185lbs and driving 250 yards.

Didn't I just take the averages for each age group?

Averages are ok but DCP numbers are all over the place and I hate the way there set up. I’ve seen setups where if you hit it more then 200 it going to hit a ridge that will knock it out of bounds or let it roll an extra 50 yards.

As for distance you also gain distance on altitude and can get a lot roll on firm fairways. I’ve seen a 12 year girl a few years ago hit the ball 260 plus yards in Texas no problem. Complete unknown too. I know this because she went over the green and into the lake multiple times in tournaments.

She is at Harvard though...

For women that probably leads to a more lucrative career than trying to be a tour professional

Many intangible benefits too

Home run

No doubt! Professional golf for women is a low odds deal, and not a great lifestyle unless your a superstar.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Elite drivers...total distance and counting 10-15 yards of roll...ages 6 and 7 May have a lot more roll out

Age 6: 100

Age 7: 140

Age 8: 165

Age 9: 180

My best guesses, thoughts?

Those are higher level boys distances and may even be long at that. Girls would be about 20-30 yards shorter but YMMV.

I have a daughter who is 8 and played since she was 6 and I follow a lot of other junior golfers here is my take on the yardages both what I consider long and probably averages:

Age 6: 80 avg long would be around 100

Age 7: 100 avg long would be around 130

Age 8: 125 avg long would be around 150

Age 9: 135 avg long would be around 175

That's what I've seen. At worlds at 7U My daughter averaged about 135 off the tee. Most kids maybe hit it 100. Even at the range there were only a few bombers out there one kid from Australia could flat out kill it. She probably hit it around 145-155.

I see some girls in younger age groups driving green on par 4 in US Kids

Just trying to understand is this typical or are these girls really long hitters?

From my observation, it’s not uncommon. I think it can give a false sense of confidence unfortunately.

I’ve yet to see a boy who can drive it to the green.

I see some girls in younger age groups driving green on par 4 in US Kids

Just trying to understand is this typical or are these girls really long hitters?

From my observation, its not uncommon. I think it can give a false sense of confidence unfortunately.

Ive yet to see a boy who can drive it to the green.

Her last season in 7u she hit 5i to the greens in one. Sometimes hybrids. Very common to drive the green at that age.

My daughter is 9 and will be 10 years at end of Feb.

Indoor lessons today on Foresight Simulator: Pretty good hit for her was as follows...

Ball Speed:93.9 mph

club Speed:64.8 mph

Carry: 117 yards

Total Distance: 150 yards.

At DC&P qualifier last year, her best measured 165 yards total.

There is one really long hitter in her flight and I would say she is in the next level of girls for her flight that are around approx. the same as her sometimes longer, sometimes shorter.

When it comes to 10 year olds she will play against in the spring, there are a few that are much longer, probably over 200 yards.

Ping G400 Fujikura Pro 60
Ping G30 Fujikura Vista Pro 80
Adams Pro 18, 23 Diamana White 83
Callaway Razr X Tour R300
Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58

Bobby Grace V-Foil 6.4 by Macgregor

Based on the threads started and posts made, this 6 (or maybe now 7

What are average distance for driver for girls by age?

What is considered very good or even great?

Based on the posts and the number of threads started - the best thing for this 6 (maybe now 7) year old girl would be for mom to get off the golf forums and let her enjoy her golf for a couple of years without (unbelievably) switching instructors twice already, and on and on with all the comparisons, the "hey I'm just asking", serious competitive planning, etc. SHE IS 6 (or 7)!

This poor kid will have a very short golf shelf life and likely at some point to quit and not bother to play again the rest of her life.

Having raised two daughters who enjoyed their respective sports (and some others) I know a little from where I speak. Let them be kids, let it be fun and let the golf, whether it is good golf or not so good golf or great golf, come to them - then see where you are at. AAAARGH.

Based on the posts and the number of threads started - the best thing for this 6 (maybe now 7) year old girl would be for mom to get off the golf forums and let her enjoy her golf for a couple of years without (unbelievably) switching instructors twice already, and on and on with all the comparisons, the "hey I'm just asking", serious competitive planning, etc. SHE IS 6 (or 7)!

This poor kid will have a very short golf shelf life and likely at some point to quit and not bother to play again the rest of her life.

Having raised two daughters who enjoyed their respective sports (and some others) I know a little from where I speak. Let them be kids, let it be fun and let the golf, whether it is good golf or not so good golf or great golf, come to them - then see where you are at. AAAARGH.

TM has experience in raising a top level junior athlete in another sport as well. Different strokes for different folks.

Be that as it may, and of course everyone will raise their kids the way they want, the stuff I read on here from TM this afternoon was way over the top from someone with a 6-7 year old daughter, IMO. I'll get back to the sub-forums where we adults are the kids, lol.

Roundeye77,

I have two older kids who are doing different sports than golf

They started early and received good instruction and training on fundamentals

Spouse and I know very little about sports, so we had to rely on "experts"

The older siblings are now in their teens and very independent

They do extensive solo practice, plan their own schedule for tournaments (with help of coach), lessons and workouts (physical training) and even decide when their "off days" will be

This is not by accident

My youngest daughter expressed an interest in golf (after trying many other sports) and says "I want to be great at it" like her older siblings in their sports

We support whatever she chooses, but if she is going to do something she needs to be serious

The cost (both time and money) is very high for these kids to be competing in sports

We are busy and aren't rich, so those scarce resources are important to us

I am happy there are many other parents who are hands off and don't care, and encourage their kids to just "have fun"

(They mistakenly assume my kids are miserable)

They will be easy competition to beat (if they are even still competing) when it really matters later on

Yikes...a rather insensitive term used to describe Hawkeye. BTW, I've been blessed to golf with him twice and there are few finer people on this site.

Ok Mr. Pelz

(btw I like your books)

I think his comments were undeserved and uninformed

What have I done except try to get more information to help my daughter succeed (like my older kids)?

How does he know what the best way to raise my kids are?

Are all kids the same and need "freedom to find their true passion and explore and have fun when they're young etc etc etc"?

I have never met a kid who had trouble having fun when left on her own without parental supervision - kids are experts in that

I hope Mr. Hawkeye77 realizes there is more than one way to raise an independent, well-rounded and HAPPY child than his very narrow view

Now you will be bullied by the bully for making sense.

LOL, I have no idea what "roundeye" means, but the response has my gut sticking with my original and subsequent post.

And further, lol, my view couldn't be any more general - it's the narrow focus I see repeated over and over by the OP that caused me to post and probably should have just let it go.

Plenty of folks have fun, lots of folks on here out there with young kids doing it their way, and they should, and having fun and even getting really good, but the body of evidence in the OP's posts sure struck a nerve - seems like I may have struck one as well.

I'll stay out of this one, hard to see and type with the eyes of a crappie.