ddetts' Swing Journey - 2020 Goals & Updated Swing Progress pg. 17

ddetts

So after the first session how did the back feel?

Not really any different than it has the last 10-11 months. Long story short the pain I have comes and goes and is pretty manageable. Over the last year I did a few physical Therapist visits and worked on what they recommended, did chiropractor work and have recently really started focusing on core stability and strength. It hasn't significantly changed what I feel, so I'm almost starting to wonder if it could be a hip issue causing referred pains in my left low back.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Picked up a new to me toy for a pretty good steal. Hopefully the stock shaft in stiff works out.

nY5FDQD.jpgcraiij6.jpg

I didn't have a good reason to replace my Callaway X Proto utility 2i but heard a lot of good things on these UDIs. Looks like the blade is a little longer and hopefully get a little more forgiveness than my current. It's longer than the Cally, so likely to pickup a little distance. My only concern will be if I can elevate it enough for it to be useful coming into Par 5s.

5uoX0WD.jpgSLMPgxV.jpg

Not into January yet and I'm already going stir crazy

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

You and Monte can have 2 iron battles!

Ha, that's funny!!! The battle would probably have to look more like this - me with my driver and Monte with his 2i or likely a 3 iron - and even then I don't know how many I would win out of 10...

I know it was a good down wind during the Sioux Falls clinic, but I'm pretty sure I can recall a couple of his 2 irons carrying 280 or 290 :swoon:

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Picked up a new to me toy for a pretty good steal. Hopefully the stock shaft in stiff works out.

nY5FDQD.jpgcraiij6.jpg

I didn't have a good reason to replace my Callaway X Proto utility 2i but heard a lot of good things on these UDIs. Looks like the blade is a little longer and hopefully get a little more forgiveness than my current. It's longer than the Cally, so likely to pickup a little distance. My only concern will be if I can elevate it enough for it to be useful coming into Par 5s.

5uoX0WD.jpgSLMPgxV.jpg

One day, with my normal game, we got to the 16th tee which is a tricky short par 4. As I walked to the tee I said “it’s stinger time, bitches.” I proceeded to hit a perfect stinger draw down the fairway. We all got a laugh because I finally succeeded in calling my shot after failing about the last ten shots where I referred to my buddies as bitches. Anyways, that looks like a stinger-worth iron you got. What shaft?

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

nY5FDQD.jpgcraiij6.jpg

5uoX0WD.jpgSLMPgxV.jpg

One day, with my normal game, we got to the 16th tee which is a tricky short par 4. As I walked to the tee I said “it’s stinger time, bitches.” I proceeded to hit a perfect stinger draw down the fairway. We all got a laugh because I finally succeeded in calling my shot after failing about the last ten shots where I referred to my buddies as bitches. Anyways, that looks like a stinger-worth iron you got. What shaft?

Stock HZRDUS 85g, Stiff.

I'd love to say I can hit a stinger, but I can't. Or at least not with the flip I'm still working to eliminate.

I'd love to be able to rip that thing 20' off the ground 250y

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Making some progress getting the backswing shorter. I'm really focusing on the takeaway to eliminate the sway and make sure I'm turning into my right side (Monte's "perfect backswing" drill from Drive 4 Dough). This in turn keeps the backswing shorter and helps prevent me from extending my back toward the target. Still need to get a little closer to the ball at setup and work the arms and club up more in the backswing.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Making some progress getting the backswing shorter. I'm really focusing on the takeaway to eliminate the sway and make sure I'm turning into my right side (Monte's "perfect backswing" drill from Drive 4 Dough). This in turn keeps the backswing shorter and helps prevent me from extending my back toward the target. Still need to get a little closer to the ball at setup and work the arms and club up more in the backswing.

That’s a good looking action.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

• 2 weeks later...

So I had one of those Facebook memories pop up yesterday to remind me that 2 years ago yesterday I was sitting in a hospital bed after just having my right hip replaced. That entire year was essentially a wash for golf, as I think I played once or twice that whole year due to a previous surgery and recovery on the same hip. It caused me to do some reflecting. I've been pretty critical of my swing & my lack of ability to improve it. I also have set up some pretty lofty aspirations to improve to a scratch handicap. However, I sit back and realize I am pretty lucky to be playing golf often and at a pretty decent level. I still walk 99% of my rounds and appreciate it more than I ever did before.

Now, that certainly doesn't temper or change any of my desire to get it to scratch or keep improving but I think I'll do a better job of keeping things in perspective going forward.

Don't mind the cheesy picture my wife made yesterday to "commemorate" my 2 year anniversary since going bionic.

2orNYQb.jpg

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all you WRX'ers, enjoy the ride!

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Thanks for sharing - you've come a long way in two years. Give yourself a break. My wife had her hip replaced last year due to radiation damage from her cancer treatment 15 years ago - she's lucky to be alive but it's a struggle to keep things in perspective with all of the side- and after-effects she's had.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

Thanks for sharing - you've come a long way in two years. Give yourself a break. My wife had her hip replaced last year due to radiation damage from her cancer treatment 15 years ago - she's lucky to be alive but it's a struggle to keep things in perspective with all of the side- and after-effects she's had.

Thanks, sometimes we forget how far we've come to get where we are. I try not to be too hard on myself but I'm very competitive (played basketball, track & a little football growing up; in addition to playing darts, billiards, football) and golf is mostly only my competitive outlet now.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I picked up a new book around a week ago that I'm nearly finished reading and it's had such a positive impact on my practice. It's called "The Talent Code" by Daniel Coyle.

It's opened my eyes to how you can develop talent & that we're not just pre-wired based on genetics. The way I think about swing changes and practicing them has changed for the better. I'm not much of a reader but trying to get back in the habit. I'd highly recommend this book.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

• 2 weeks later...

Still making slow progress, backswing is shortened and never getting past parallel now. Still could use to get my right hand slightly stronger. I'm still not getting the right elbow linked up and have trouble getting the feeling of making that happen.

Here's the latest swings, which were also sent to Monte for a lesson. Hoping he doesn't tell me I'm still doing the same stupid things.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

So, before I get a response from Monte for my latest online lesson I thought it would be interesting/fun to attempt to pick out what I think are the big issues plaguing my swing.

1. Setup - right hand a little stronger. I think this is still a big struggle/issue for me because I haven't gotten the pivot down and when I flip with the stronger grip it feels awful. I can put my right hand on super strong and make swings but so far my body isn't responding to the changes.

2. Shoulder turn is still too flat, need to get left shoulder a little more under my chin

3. Backswing while improved is still too long, arms are still going a little past what my turn allows

4. I hadn't picked up on this as much in the past, and I'm thinking probably a result or correlated with the arm overrun, but I have a little bit of upper body lunge to start the downswing. In the FO I can see my head and shoulders move laterally toward the ball.

Anything else you picking up on that you think is a problem?

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

So, before I get a response from Monte for my latest online lesson I thought it would be interesting/fun to attempt to pick out what I think are the big issues plaguing my swing.

1. Setup - right hand a little stronger. I think this is still a big struggle/issue for me because I haven't gotten the pivot down and when I flip with the stronger grip it feels awful. I can put my right hand on super strong and make swings but so far my body isn't responding to the changes.

2. Shoulder turn is still too flat, need to get left shoulder a little more under my chin

3. Backswing while improved is still too long, arms are still going a little past what my turn allows

4. I hadn't picked up on this as much in the past, and I'm thinking probably a result or correlated with the arm overrun, but I have a little bit of upper body lunge to start the downswing. In the FO I can see my head and shoulders move laterally toward the ball.

DD - those four points may or may not be correct. You've paid Monte - stick with him. In other words, you wouldn't want to pay me ;)

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

DD - those four points may or may not be correct. You've paid Monte - stick with him. In other words, you wouldn't want to pay me ;)

Well, I wasn't going to pay you anyway... I may have worded incorrectly in my post. I'm not necessarily looking for swing advice from randoms on the thread that I'm going to follow and work on. Really just interested in what others are seeing and then comparing to what I actually get. I'm still Team Monte, and ready for him to pound me on making some of the same mistakes!

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Only thing I'll say is something I've learned from Monte and iTeach both. In the Face On vid. In the backswing your lead knee kind of caves in and gets behind your lead hip. Makes it more difficult to clear in the downswing.

I know this well because I've done it for forever.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

One comment. In your setup on the face on, you have your right ear aligned to the ball, that is, you already setup with your head in front of the ball. Should be somewhere from your nose to your outside left ear depending on the club.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

One comment. In your setup on the face on, you have your right ear aligned to the ball, that is, you already setup with your head in front of the ball. Should be somewhere from your nose to your outside left ear depending on the club.

Thanks! Definitely looks like I'm on top of the ball and then get head/ upper torso even more forward in transition.

Your backswing is under plane, that's why you're so inside out and finishing so high.

I have definitely noticed this and how it leads to a flat shoulder plane/turn. Appears it also causes me to steepen the shaft a little in the downswing. I've been working on feelings & mirror drills to improve my takeaway and get the shaft pitched up a bit more.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Thanks! Definitely looks like I'm on top of the ball and then get head/ upper torso even more forward in transition.

Your backswing is under plane, that's why you're so inside out and finishing so high.

I have definitely noticed this and how it leads to a flat shoulder plane/turn. Appears it also causes me to steepen the shaft a little in the downswing. I've been working on feelings & mirror drills to improve my takeaway and get the shaft pitched up a bit more.

I'm still waiting on the online lesson response from Monte, but in the meantime I was able to tinker around with a few of the things I saw in my recent videos.

Yesterday and today I did some mirror work to help with setup and did some slower practice swings focusing mainly on getting my head back in the setup and feeling like I "stay back" to eliminate the head/torso lunge forward in transition. Wow did that really help! I'm going to try to film some swings with working in those feels to see what it looks like since I wasn't hitting balls, but it really seems to be producing some positive changes:

• combined with feeling like I'm making a really steep backswing it got me in a better position and actually made it feel easier to stop at a shorter backswing
  • club path was traveling in to out (was swing on carpet and could see where the carpet was brushed)
  • It felt easier to shallow the shaft
  • Also seems like the hand path or getting the right elbow forward was easier
  • The effort required to swing seemed so much less, so I'm hoping that's a sign of eliminating inefficient/wasted motion

I'm really hoping this feel is the intent I need to ingrain that feeling.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Golf is frustrating... I can get into good positions doing mirror work and slo-mo swings but for the life of me I struggle to integrate it into real swings. I feel like I'm really exaggerating my left shoulder down and pitching the shaft vertical in these swings but it's hardly different from previous swings. I'm still struggling with flat shoulder turn and torso lunge toward the ball.

The only real bright side is that SuperSpeed training is getting me some nice gains. I had a personal best 118mph club head speed tonight.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Here's a 116mph swing I captured, I didn't have my phone on thr Selfie Golf stick for the 118mph swing.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I've gotten my lesson back from Monte and watched it a couple of times early this morning while waking up. I'll probably watch again, take some notes, send a couple of clarifying questions to Monte and then put together a practice plan.

Some of the things I pointed out and guessed at above, while they're not good and are existing issues in the swing, were not what Monte identified as my two biggest faults to address in order to clean up some of the things going on.

1. I'm swaying off the ball at the start of the backswing which gets me in a bad spot, and then I have to slide a long way toward the ball in the backswing. This is a likely a culprit of the upper body lunge and doesn't do my any favors in trying to get my arm structure working toward the ball. Hopefully, working on proper hip movement will help reduce the flat shoulder plane on the way back. Monte provided me with some great reference material to see what this looks like.

- Improper hip motion with that lead knee caving in - good eye Ebrasmus!

2. In transition to downswing, my right shoulder/elbow are basically doing the opposite of what they need to. This will continue to be the hardest thing for me to implement, but I'm optimistic & ready to challenge myself. Hopefully I can start to get that ingrained in the next couple of months.

I'm heading to Arizona for a week of family vacation, but I have presented my case to the War Department and she has consented to allow me a couple of rounds of morning golf (I'm hoping maybe a 3rd day with 9 holes and/or range time) with my cousin who lives in the Gilbert/Queen Creek area. So we'll she what kind of damage I can do out there while in the midst of swing changes!

Keep moving forward!

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I've gotten my lesson back from Monte and watched it a couple of times early this morning while waking up. I'll probably watch again, take some notes, send a couple of clarifying questions to Monte and then put together a practice plan.

Some of the things I pointed out and guessed at above, while they're not good and are existing issues in the swing, were not what Monte identified as my two biggest faults to address in order to clean up some of the things going on.

1. I'm swaying off the ball at the start of the backswing which gets me in a bad spot, and then I have to slide a long way toward the ball in the backswing. This is a likely a culprit of the upper body lunge and doesn't do my any favors in trying to get my arm structure working toward the ball. Hopefully, working on proper hip movement will help reduce the flat shoulder plane on the way back. Monte provided me with some great reference material to see what this looks like.

- Improper hip motion with that lead knee caving in - good eye Ebrasmus!

2. In transition to downswing, my right shoulder/elbow are basically doing the opposite of what they need to. This will continue to be the hardest thing for me to implement, but I'm optimistic & ready to challenge myself. Hopefully I can start to get that ingrained in the next couple of months.

I'm heading to Arizona for a week of family vacation, but I have presented my case to the War Department and she has consented to allow me a couple of rounds of morning golf (I'm hoping maybe a 3rd day with 9 holes and/or range time) with my cousin who lives in the Gilbert/Queen Creek area. So we'll she what kind of damage I can do out there while in the midst of swing changes!

Keep moving forward!

Keep working hard, DD. And have fun on the vacation.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

So I had a pretty cool experience today. One of our local health systems, Sanford (also hosts/title sponsor of the Champions tour event in Sioux Falls), has a Sports Science department and they are currently conducting a golf research study. I had volunteered to participate and had my sessions today. They had a Trackman 4 set up indoors to capture the club and ball data on swings combined with force plates in the ground and a Qualisys motion capture system I had ~45 reflective devices stuck to my body and club and made a series of twenty swings. I'll say it was a bit awkward at first swinging shirtless with a bunch of little devices stuck on, but after warming up I got comfortable. During the process I received no feedback on swings/results from Trackman so as not to introduce any bias into the study results.

I wasn't able to see much of the results, but in a couple of weeks they'll be emailing me the report data. I'm not sure how much benefit I'll get from it but the data/analysis geek in me thought it was all fascinating and I had fun participating.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

• 3 weeks later...

So here's my recap of my two rounds of golf I was able to play while on vacation with the family in AZ. I've tried to keep it brief and essentially it was mostly good!

1/29/19 @ Mountain Brook Golf Club, Gold Canyon, AZ - I shot a 78 (short course ~6200 yards since we played with some older guys and up 1 tee) and it was probably the easiest 78 I've ever shot and what should've been a 74 or better. Long story short I had 3 crappy mistakes where the old flaw (flip) showed up at the worst times:

• Hole 2 - hit 2i off the tee, have around 120 to pin. Try to cut a PW, pull it hard left into hazard area. Hit a great shot from the desert and still make bogey.
  • Hole 7 - super short par 5 (~460 yards), have 140 to the pin. Try to hit a smooth 9, pull long left over the green but end up making a par
  • Hole 14 - driveable par 4, I'm about 15 yards off the front of the green and probably ~45 yards from a way back pin. Thinned my pitch into the back bunker & it hangs up on the down slope, heel skank my bunker shot back off the front of the green, chip to 5 feet and miss the putt for a double. 5 shots to get in the hole from 45 yards! I could have made par taking my putter from 15 yards off the green, and at least had a putt at birdie!

1/31/19 @ Trilogy Golf Club @ Power Ranch, Gilbert, AZ- I shot an 89 which was largely due to two holes (a quintuple and triple bogey back to back). This course played closer to 6600 yards and was tighter off the tee. I hit a lot of good putts that lipped out on this day.

• Hole 8 - par 3 160 yards, snap hooked a 7i long left into the desert, resulting in a double bogey 5
  • Hole 9 - shorter par 4, hit 2i stright into a fairway bunker up the right (away from water coming into play on the left at about 260) I didn't know was there, should've asked my local playing partner before thinking I was making the smart play
  • Hole 12 - par 4, hit driver left into rough, not a good angle into the green but it was 110 yards which is good for my gap wedge. Hit it a touch thin, didn't carry a bunker and absolutely plugged in the lip. 2 attempts didn't get out, 3rd bunker shot went long into desert, skipped into the ball and shanked right, 7 onto the green about 6 feet away and missed the putt for a 9 quintuple bogey.
  • Hole 13 - par 4, pushed driver a little, really bad break to hop a 3 ft wall on the 3rd or 4th bounce and go OB. Should've played a provisional but never appeared it was in danger of being out so ended up having to take the 2 strokes under the new rules. Didn't hit a great 4th and ended up with a triple bogey 7.

Other than the fatal mistakes where my flip showed up, my misses were mostly more of a slightly higher flight push or push fade 5-10 yards offline versus the 20-30 yards pull/pull draw left. This is actually encouraging to me, as I couldn't have gotten a ball to start right of target line even with a million dollars on the line last year. I feel like my hand path and club path are getting better, now it's just a matter of trusting the grip and rotation into impact instead of hanging on thinking I'm going to flip it left.

A lot of positives to take away

1. Driver - I hit some bombs with the new driver in the 310-320 range. Had a couple of misses left of my alignment, but nothing that really hurt me. Most of the time I was hitting a slight fade, which I am not used to and because I couldn't commit to adjusting for it, I ended up in the desert or rough a handful of times. I am excited about this club for the upcoming season!
  2. UDI 2 iron - This club is awesome, first time ever hitting it and I had 2-3 off the tee that were 250-260. Also, hit a few times approaching par 5s and it's pretty playable off the deck.
  3. Putting - I have put in a lot of work this winter on putting using my PuttOut mat & Pressure Putt Trainer. I changed my grip in November from essentially a "10 finger" left hand low to now where I have 2 fingers reverse overlapped but still left hand low. I also switched putter models from an Odyssey #7 (15 years my gamer) to a TaylorMade Mullen TP which has a little toe hang. I made a good number of putts in the 5-10' range which was almost non-existent for me, and made a couple in the 10-20' range too. Other than two putts from long distance that I didn't judge well and left quite short (I didn't expect me feel to be that great having not putted on real greens or longer than 6 feet for 3 months) my putting felt really solid. I'm confident I've made the right move there and can't wait to really dial that in practicing outside.

A couple of the take aways from my last online lesson with Monte are really resonating with me and have improved my feel for what I need to be doing. I am really excited for spring to get here in South Dakota!

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Vacation, followed by a work trip kept me from really working on the swing changes but I was back at it tonight.

I'm getting really encouraged by the changes. They're subtle but going in the right direction. Shoulder turn isn't as flat any more but could still use a bit more vertical. I'm finally starting to get some better rotation and am getting more open at impact. What do you guys think?

Also, here's sort of a pump/freezer type drill I've been doing as well.

I can tell I still have the flip release on some swings, it's hard for me to get used to that feeling of the right hand staying under.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen