Nicklaus golf courses (only if you like his work)

Had to laugh yesterday thinking about this thread. My regular group is on their annual trip to Mesquite (someday I’ll forgive my grandson for being born right in the middle of time!) and played Coyote Springs yesterday. I was getting my regular report last night, Buddy was saying he and another guy guy would hit their approach and shots within a few feet of each other, but because of the severe contouring, one ball would roll up close to the pin while the other would end up 80’ away! The margin for error there is so slim.

He said he may have said some not so nice things about Jack on occasion!

Had to laugh yesterday thinking about this thread. My regular group is on their annual trip to Mesquite (someday I’ll forgive my grandson for being born right in the middle of time!��) and played Coyote Springs yesterday. I was getting my regular report last night, Buddy was saying he and another guy guy would hit their approach and shots within a few feet of each other, but because of the severe contouring, one ball would roll up close to the pin while the other would end up 80’ away! The margin for error there is so slim.

He said he may have said some not so nice things about Jack on occasion!��

you would have felt the same if you had actually accepted my invite to Muirfield Village this past summer, bud.

I'd say Muirfield Village and Sebonack(does that count since he paired up with Doak?) are my favorites of his. but his easy courses are not so easy. I don't think he knows how hard golf is.

I'll be at MV again next spring if the schedule fits. My only criticism is hole 16 doesn't fit in the grand scheme of things. World class par5s and par4s.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Had to laugh yesterday thinking about this thread. My regular group is on their annual trip to Mesquite (someday I’ll forgive my grandson for being born right in the middle of time!��) and played Coyote Springs yesterday. I was getting my regular report last night, Buddy was saying he and another guy guy would hit their approach and shots within a few feet of each other, but because of the severe contouring, one ball would roll up close to the pin while the other would end up 80’ away! The margin for error there is so slim.

Maybe they should play the US Open there. Sounds like it would fit in nicely.

Maybe they should play the US Open there. Sounds like it would fit in nicely.

It would be an added bonus to watch them play in Nevada in June!

So got to play PGA National Champion course last week, which makes two Nicklaus courses for me(Hammock Creek in Palm City the other.)

A fairly heavy rain fell the night before, so even though we could scatter in the carts, there was no roll. We had played the Palmer course earlier in the morning, and the fairway width alone was stunning in its difference. I don't know if it's fair to make an assessment based on this, because Florida courses basically force you to use water hazards as your main defense. And I certainly donated some golf balls. I'm using the fact I was working on something as my reason for doing so. :swoon:

We were told they had just reopened, and the greens might be a touch shaggy and slow. Man the guys must be putting on pool tables for the Honda Classic if that was shaggy.

I think the comment made about was right. Nicklaus may not know how hard golf really is.

• 1 month later...

Nicklaus courses I have played - favorites first. Have not played too many high end Nicklaus courses. Had a chance to play Bears Club a few years back but it did not quite work out on the day and we ended up playing Trumps place instead (yuk). On balance Pete Dye courses seem to fit my eye and i’d say he was my favourite designer but I always enjoy Jack’s courses and not really sure why people dislike them.

1) Creighton Farms

2) Pinehurst #9

3) Old Works

4) Collerton River (I prefer the Dye course there)

5) Kiawah - Turtle Point

6) PGA West - Nicklaus Tournament Course

7) WGHOF - King and Bear (yeah only 1/2 Nicklaus I know)

8) Bay Point

9) Bears Best (Atlanta)

10) Reunion

11) Pinehills

12) Bears Best (Vegas)

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

I'm not a huge fan of Nicklaus courses, but I haven't played any real duds of his and they usually have at least a few interesting holes.

Of the ones I've played, my favorite is Valhalla. As long as you pick the right tee for your game and it isn't around a tournament when the rough is so thick you can only hack it out, it's very playable. I really like how you need to land some shots on the greens 30 feet away from the pin to access different sections.

Others of his that I've played:

Old Corkscrew - While tough, I enjoyed the greens and their undulations and would play again if in the area

Breckenridge - Great scenery but if you aren't on your game it can be a long round with lots of penalties. I'd say it's gotten a little easier over the years, but it's still aerial target golf.

Pawley's Plantation - I remember there being about 3 or 4 interesting holes and not bad if you are keeping it in play. Considering True Blue and Caledonia are down the street I wouldn't play this unless you're staying down there and want something different than those.

Whispering Oak at Verandah - First Nicklaus course I ever played with some serious width in the fairways. Nothing amazing, but I'd play it again if in the area. Above average for Florida courses.

Long Bay - Don't remember much about it other than it was neither horrible nor something I'd want to play again

None of those besides Valhalla are something I'd go out of the way to play. Will be at Reunion in February and have one day playing the Nicklaus course there so hoping it's at least got a few good holes.

Muirfield Village is the best golf course I've ever played. But Jack's other work doesn't appeal to me that much.

I will say I've gotten to play his private course at PGA West several times recently and it's really growing on me.

What other courses of his have you played?

Almost too many to count. The Country Club at Muirfield, Pinehurst #9, Medallion Club, New Albany CC, CC of the North, Mason Golf Center Grizzly, TPC of Michigan, Pawleys Plantation, Long Bay Club, Punta Espada, Park Meadows CC.

Muirfield Village is the best golf course I've ever played. But Jack's other work doesn't appeal to me that much.

I will say I've gotten to play his private course at PGA West several times recently and it's really growing on me.

Almost too many to count. The Country Club at Muirfield, Pinehurst #9, Medallion Club, New Albany CC, CC of the North, Mason Golf Center Grizzly, TPC of Michigan, Pawleys Plantation, Long Bay Club, Punta Espada, Park Meadows CC.

You didn't care for Punta Espada? I haven't played it but the pictures look spectacular. Many rate it the best or second best course in the Caribbean.

It's on my bucket list.

Interesting to see DM Outlaw mentioned a few times. Most of the members don’t play it and have it low on their list of the 6. I enjoy it, much more when it’s calm than when windy. And yes, it gets firm and fast, especially after April.

I have multiple friends at DM and play there quite often. Outlaw is so significantly better than the other courses that it is hardly worth even discussing. You are correct that most members don’t prefer it but the ones I know that are better players tend to favor it. It might be a little too hard for most people. The demographic at DM is not skewed toward better players though. There are plenty of low cappers but mostly older players so my comment still applies to them. All of their courses are nice though. Apache is kinda weak but still nice.

Interesting to see DM Outlaw mentioned a few times. Most of the members don’t play it and have it low on their list of the 6. I enjoy it, much more when it’s calm than when windy. And yes, it gets firm and fast, especially after April.

I have multiple friends at DM and play there quite often. Outlaw is so significantly better than the other courses that it is hardly worth even discussing. You are correct that most members don’t prefer it but the ones I know that are better players tend to favor it. It might be a little too hard for most people. The demographic at DM is not skewed toward better players though. There are plenty of low cappers but mostly older players so my comment still applies to them. All of their courses are nice though. Apache is kinda weak but still nice.

I would agree, most of the people that I know that play there regularly are the better players. I usually try to play there regularly since it probably has the least traffic.

Creighton farms in Aldie va is my favorite- very private. Has a few creeks that run through it but great use of land

Bayside resort in De up by ocean city maryland. Used to have great views of the strand, but houses now line the course. Layout is great and allows for driver with more risk or long irons for a tougher second shot

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

You didn't care for Punta Espada? I haven't played it but the pictures look spectacular. Many rate it the best or second best course in the Caribbean.

It's on my bucket list.

Punta Espada is certainly a beautiful piece of ground, but IMO another architect could've done a better job of designing a course there. But I wouldn't try to dissuade you from playing it; it's definitely a gorgeous place to play and there's plenty of challenge. (Make sure you travel down to play Teeth of the Dog, though, one of my absolute favorites.)

It's on my bucket list.

Punta Espada is certainly a beautiful piece of ground, but IMO another architect could've done a better job of designing a course there. But I wouldn't try to dissuade you from playing it; it's definitely a gorgeous place to play and there's plenty of challenge. (Make sure you travel down to play Teeth of the Dog, though, one of my absolute favorites.)

Already played Teeth and loved it.

It's on my bucket list.

There's a criterium to add to the RK2003 course rating guide:

"How well does the course photograph?"

A few off the top of my head.

Bears Best (ATL)

Achasta GC

Laurel Springs

Ocean Hammock

CC of the South

I know there's one or two TN courses in state parks I've played...Bear Trace

My POV...most all of the Nicklaus courses I've played...his courses typically are wide enough in the landing areas to allow the avg Joe golfer to put the ball in play, but as you get closer to the green the difficulty increases including the green complexes...if you have a good SG, I think you can score anywhere, but there is a premium on short game with the Bear.

It's on my bucket list.

There's a criterium to add to the RK2003 course rating guide:

"How well does the course photograph?"

Great idea !!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

There should be 0 participants in this thread. At the very least no one who draws the ball

I think that’s a big misconception, IMO. At my course the vast majority of the holes are very receptive to a draw or fade on both tee shots and approaches. Many of the holes look like they favor a fade but a draw will work just fine.

In fact, if you play the proper side of the fairway a straight ball is best.

There should be 0 participants in this thread. At the very least no one who draws the ball

I think that's a big misconception, IMO. At my course the vast majority of the holes are very receptive to a draw or fade on both tee shots and approaches. Many of the holes look like they favor a fade but a draw will work just fine.

In fact, if you play the proper side of the fairway a straight ball is best.

It's a total misconception. I hit a draw and love to play Nicklaus courses.