Planning trip to Sand Valley

I am planning a trip to Sand Valley-Mammoth Dunes-Sand Box in early May. I learned a great deal from reading other threads, but many of the comments posted there are older, thus, I thought to ask if anyone has further, more recent advice as I make plans: order to play courses in; lodging (on site or vacation rental); caddies; amenities; things to bring; etc.? All suggestions welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We came up from Iowa for a short trip last summer. Played 18 at Lawsonia Links before heading to SV. Arrived on Saturday and played Mammoth Dunes. We finished our round early enough and went out to the Sandbox and played during the sunset. Sunday we played Sand Valley in the morning and the afternoon on Mammoth. Checked out Monday and played our last round on SV. Both courses were great, Sand Valley is more challenging as the fairways are a bit narrower but Mammoth allows for a lot of creativity. The first round on Mammoth I played more conservative, laid up vs taking the “speed slots” and shot one of my best rounds of the year. The 2nd round was more fun, drove a few greens but also hit more bunkers since I played more aggressive. We stayed on site and while probably more expensive than staying off site, the convenience of everything was well worth it. We used the junior caddies and while it wasn’t an overly hard walk, it beat carrying or using a push cart which was nice, especially on when playing 36. The junior caddie was sufficient, carried and cleaned our clubs, gave me yardages and provided general knowledge of the hole. Having played the courses now, I don’t think I would use caddies again. We are heading up in May again this year. Will probably follow a similar set up as we did on 2018.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke 70X
Titleist 917F2 15* Diamana D+ 80x
Mizuno MP18 SC 3-PW KBS C Taper S+
Muira Wedge Series 51* 55* 59* KBS C Taper S
Toulon Portland H3
Srixon Z-Star XV / Snell MTB-X

We came up from Iowa for a short trip last summer. Played 18 at Lawsonia Links before heading to SV. Arrived on Saturday and played Mammoth Dunes. We finished our round early enough and went out to the Sandbox and played during the sunset. Sunday we played Sand Valley in the morning and the afternoon on Mammoth. Checked out Monday and played our last round on SV. Both courses were great, Sand Valley is more challenging as the fairways are a bit narrower but Mammoth allows for a lot of creativity. The first round on Mammoth I played more conservative, laid up vs taking the “speed slots” and shot one of my best rounds of the year. The 2nd round was more fun, drove a few greens but also hit more bunkers since I played more aggressive. We stayed on site and while probably more expensive than staying off site, the convenience of everything was well worth it. We used the junior caddies and while it wasn’t an overly hard work, it carrying or using a push cart was nice. The junior caddie was sufficient, carried and cleaned our clubs, gave me yardages and provided general knowledge of the hole. Having played the courses now, I don’t think I would use caddies again. We are heading up in May again this year. Will probably follow a similar set up as we did on 2018.

Thanks! When you played SV then MD, did the second round on different course count as replay and thus you got the half priced green fee? Do you think it best to play them in that order; i.e., was one more tiring than the other and so best to play in certain order (there is a lot of advice about which order to play courses at Bandon, for example, due to physical demands, wind at time of day, etc.)?

We came up from Iowa for a short trip last summer. Played 18 at Lawsonia Links before heading to SV. Arrived on Saturday and played Mammoth Dunes. We finished our round early enough and went out to the Sandbox and played during the sunset. Sunday we played Sand Valley in the morning and the afternoon on Mammoth. Checked out Monday and played our last round on SV. Both courses were great, Sand Valley is more challenging as the fairways are a bit narrower but Mammoth allows for a lot of creativity. The first round on Mammoth I played more conservative, laid up vs taking the “speed slots” and shot one of my best rounds of the year. The 2nd round was more fun, drove a few greens but also hit more bunkers since I played more aggressive. We stayed on site and while probably more expensive than staying off site, the convenience of everything was well worth it. We used the junior caddies and while it wasn’t an overly hard work, it carrying or using a push cart was nice. The junior caddie was sufficient, carried and cleaned our clubs, gave me yardages and provided general knowledge of the hole. Having played the courses now, I don’t think I would use caddies again. We are heading up in May again this year. Will probably follow a similar set up as we did on 2018.

Thanks! When you played SV then MD, did the second round on different course count as replay and thus you got the half priced green fee? Do you think it best to play them in that order; i.e., was one more tiring than the other and so best to play in certain order (there is a lot of advice about which order to play courses at Bandon, for example, due to physical demands, wind at time of day, etc.)?

Yes counts as replay rate. Dont think order matters. I would do 18 and par 3 one day and 36 (one on each course) following day. Also worth driving to Erin Hills and Whistling Straits if you want to add more rounds. Easy drives. Did a trip with 5 rounds plus the par 3 in 4 days and loved it.

I have a lake home a mile away from SV and know the area very well, What many people miss is that if you stay on site you will not even know but there are two great courses in the development where my lake home is called Lake Arrowhead. https://www.lakearrowheadgolf.com/ Great courses in very good condition with very reasonable greens fees . I tell people if you are looking to play 36 a day I would do 1 SV course walking in the morning and then Ride at one of the lake arrowhead courses in the afternoon. With that you can play four different courses in a matter of 2 miles. I would love to rent out my 4 bedroom +above garage apartment but the wife says that's a no go. A great lodging option that is in Lake arrowhead is called Lodges of the lakes which is 2,3,4 bedroom fully furnished town homes on the 5th fairway of the Pines course, this is really the only lodging other than rentals. http://lodgesofthela...om/#lodgingPage Shermalot Motel is pretty dated.

In terms of Restaurants you are pretty limited and the SV restaurants are absolutely phenomenal for any where, let alone that area and that is your best bet. There is a supper club called the dirty oar which is where Coore and Crenshaw hung out when it was being built, OK but not great. Then there is also the Clubhouse at Lake Arrowhead that has a full restaurant. Bars you have a few backwoods local establishments like Trails end or Lake Sherwood Lounge but these are local beer bars and not the Sand Valley crowd what so ever. As far as the courses I have walked and carried and hired an A caddy and was underwhelmed with the A caddy, will go the junior route in 2019.Every time I go out there I am blown away.

We (eight of us) were there in August, 2018.

Dining: We ate at the resort, both restaurants. The food and service was great. We ate outside one evening. Prices are a little high, especially the wine.

Caddies: Ours were good, but not anywhere near the level of the caddies at Whistling Straits and Erin Hills.

Lodging: We stayed at the resort. Rooms were very comfortable and large.

Courses; Both were very nice and we would play them again. We played seven courses on our trip and Mammoth was ranked 6th or 7th by everybody. Sand Valley was in the middle with Whistling Straits or Erin Hills at the top of everybody's list.

The par three course is a bucket of fun. We played "eight man wolf" and mixed with a little alcohol, it was a blast.

I have a lake home a mile away from SV and know the area very well, What many people miss is that if you stay on site you will not even know but there are two great courses in the development where my lake home is called Lake Arrowhead. https://www.lakearrowheadgolf.com/ Great courses in very good condition with very reasonable greens fees . I tell people if you are looking to play 36 a day I would do 1 SV course walking in the morning and then Ride at one of the lake arrowhead courses in the afternoon. With that you can play four different courses in a matter of 2 miles. I would love to rent out my 4 bedroom +above garage apartment but the wife says that's a no go. A great lodging option that is in Lake arrowhead is called Lodges of the lakes which is 2,3,4 bedroom fully furnished town homes on the 5th fairway of the Pines course, this is really the only lodging other than rentals. http://lodgesofthela...om/#lodgingPage Shermalot Motel is pretty dated.

In terms of Restaurants you are pretty limited and the SV restaurants are absolutely phenomenal for any where, let alone that area and that is your best bet. There is a supper club called the dirty oar which is where Coore and Crenshaw hung out when it was being built, OK but not great. Then there is also the Clubhouse at Lake Arrowhead that has a full restaurant. Bars you have a few backwoods local establishments like Trails end or Lake Sherwood Lounge but these are local beer bars and not the Sand Valley crowd what so ever. As far as the courses I have walked and carried and hired an A caddy and was underwhelmed with the A caddy, will go the junior route in 2019.Every time I go out there I am blown away.

Thank you. This is very useful. One of the vacation rentals I was looking in to is on Lake Arrowhead and so I was wondering about the course itself. I will definitely use a Junior caddie as I am a big supporter of caddie programs (having spent much of my youth as one) and I am really happy SV sponsors the Evans Scholars program.

Dining: We ate at the resort, both restaurants. The food and service was great. We ate outside one evening. Prices are a little high, especially the wine.

Caddies: Ours were good, but not anywhere near the level of the caddies at Whistling Straits and Erin Hills.

Courses; Both were very nice and we would play them again. We played seven courses on our trip and Mammoth was ranked 6th or 7th by everybody. Sand Valley was in the middle with Whistling Straits or Erin Hills at the top of everybody's list.

The par three course is a bucket of fun. We played "eight man wolf" and mixed with a little alcohol, it was a blast.

Unfortunately we cannot include any courses east of SV this trip; just a quick weekend getaway. Driving in from Minneapolis route. Thus, we will have to play Erin Hills, Whistling Straits and all on another trip in the near future. We might be able to add another course on our return trip back toward Minneapolis, though; anybody have any recommendations of courses in western Wisconsin or in the Twin Cities area?

Thanks for your feedback.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately we cannot include any courses east of SV this trip; just a quick weekend getaway. Driving in from Minneapolis route. Thus, we will have to play Erin Hills, Whistling Straits and all on another trip in the near future. We might be able to add another course on our return trip back toward Minneapolis, though; anybody have any recommendations of courses in western Wisconsin or in the Twin Cities area?

Sentry world is worth it on the way back. Decently affordable and in immaculate condition when I played it. I love it there

Sentry world is worth it on the way back. Decently affordable and in immaculate condition when I played it. I love it there

Thanks! We are all booked for SV. Still need to decide on additional round on way home, but have some good ideas now. A good place for my imagination to wander to in order to escape these sub zero temperatures.

You might take a peak at some of the twin cities threads for a rec. if you plan on a rd. on the way back. Troy Burne in Hudson, WI is brought up quite a bit. I've not played but been on property and it looks fantastic!

Never heard of this course but just watched the video. That is an excellent looking track.

Wish it were closer as it's from one edge of the state to the other, about 5 hours from where I am......but I gotta get there to play it!

• 2 weeks later...

Four good options to consider for your final choice, all a different style:

Troy Burne - big, modern brawny course with lots of bunkers with big fast greens and open to the wind.

StoneRidge - also upscale public like TB. Links-style, one of my favorites. Usually a breeze here, too.

Keller - 1929 classic that was renovated five years ago. All bent grass with a good layout. (Although holes 4 and 17 are terrible with a big tree in front of the green on each; likely your most affordable option)

White Eagle - ten minutes north of Hudson (20 minutes north of Troy Burne) - an "up north" feel to it.

One could put together a nice golf trip without even leaving the Twin Cities. Loggers Trail or Royal Golf Club are two other solid east-metro choices.

Went up there for a Sunday / Monday stay and play in late June 2018.

Flew into Madison for Family Wedding Saturday Night then drove from Madison Sunday AM. Arrived mid-day Sunday and played SV then SB in the evening. MD early Monday.

Arrived - got all set up and headed right over to SV Tee boxes & Driving range. SV is about 15-25 min brisk walk-up the hill. There is shuttle to make it super easy. Since the Driving Range is off the side of SV it was helpful to loosen up there after the car ride and then go straight out on the course. The sliders up at the starter shed are awesome so had those for late lunch right there.

SV: Exciting & Challenging. Sun was over-head early and starting to set behind us on the way in and the views / shadows were awesome.

2 caddies for the foursome and both were 2+ year guys. Had awesome tips for "banking it on-to the green", risk-reward for flying over some bunkers, accurate club up / down for elevation changes.

Absolutely play Sandbox for happy hour (yay Canoe filled with beer!). Holes play 110yrd or under so didn't need to bring that 150 yrd club. Pencil bag only holds about 4 clubs anyway! Hooting and hollering all over (including our group!)

Had dinner in the main lodge - there was a tent area grill but we opted for the main bar / kitchen. Stayed in the rooms right at main clubhouse. Spacious, modern, looked right out the putting green / Mammoth Green / Tee.

Good "golfers breakfast - eggs, sausage, etc" in the main bar / kitchen.

Putting Green and Mammoth first tee is right off the clubhouse. We had early tee-time so didn't shuttle over to the range - just putted and loosened up there.

MD: Spacious & Majestic. The sun was rising right over us on the first two holes of the course and then we played in some great holes thru and along some trees (far off the fairway / dunes but there). Sun we overhead for the major duneage holes far from the clubhouse. Kept same caddies as day before. They admitted since it had just opened - they were still figuring out the places to go / shots to hit but still helped us a ton.

Played better on Mammoth - matches my grip it and rip game a little more - both were fun - planning another trip and want to include Erin since within driving distance // closer to Madison on the way back.

• 2 weeks later...

Ever played Troy Byrne or White Eagle at Hudson?

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

• 2 weeks later...

Little late to the party, but I'll add my two cents anyway. First I don't think the order of the courses matters too much, but I would play mammoth first as it is more forgiving. The par 3 is some of the most fun I have ever had in my golfing career (so play it, often). Lake arrowhead has to great courses, always in great shape and they almost always have the greens in phenomenal shape, rolling pretty quick. I would play there if you have the chance (personally I like the pines track better but they are both very fun). Finally, as other have said, Troy Burne on the way home is the ticket.

Little late to the party, but I'll add my two cents anyway. First I don't think the order of the courses matters too much, but I would play mammoth first as it is more forgiving. The par 3 is some of the most fun I have ever had in my golfing career (so play it, often). Lake arrowhead has to great courses, always in great shape and they almost always have the greens in phenomenal shape, rolling pretty quick. I would play there if you have the chance (personally I like the pines track better but they are both very fun). Finally, as other have said, Troy Burne on the way home is the ticket.

Thanks!

Curious do they have junior caddies in May? Best place to stay off site may head there in May its only 110.00 per round.

I’m heading in there in May and was told junior caddies are available only on weekends until school is out and only a few are available each day.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke 70X
Titleist 917F2 15* Diamana D+ 80x
Mizuno MP18 SC 3-PW KBS C Taper S+
Muira Wedge Series 51* 55* 59* KBS C Taper S
Toulon Portland H3
Srixon Z-Star XV / Snell MTB-X

Curious do they have junior caddies in May? Best place to stay off site may head there in May its only 110.00 per round.

Hotel mead in wisconsin rapids is probable your best offsite place to stay. Its about a 20 minute drive away. You'll struggle to get a junior caddie in may. If you are trying to save cash I would play without a caddie. A junior caddie isn't going to do more than carry your bag. If you get a level higher caddie you will get more information about the course. Honestly, the course isn't too difficult to figure out without a caddie. If you have any questions feel free to PM me (I live in the area and have played SV 6 times and MD 4 times). I've never used a caddie though I have played with a couple of them.

• 11 months later...

Piggybacking on this thread- I'm planning a trip in July and we already have lodging booked onsite at SV. The group is a mix from +2, a couple scratch and a couple guys at 6 and one at 12. I was thinking of an afternoon round on arrival at MD followed by sandbox, then 36 the next day of SV/MD, then the following morning a final round at SV. We are likely playing a round near Chicago the day before arrival at SV and another round near Chicago the day after we leave. Would you recommend a caddy for the first round on each course, then push cart the second time around? Any thoughts on the amount of golf here as well as the breakdown on SV vs MD? Thanks!