Monterey / San Fran Golf / Family Stuff

Sort of golf related /sort of not. IF Clemson makes it to the Nat Champ (Santa Clara), me and the boy (8) will be taking the trip out. Coming that far from South Carolina we would take a few days early to visit the area and hopefully even a little golf in the Monterey/Carmel area(... you know what I am thinking...)

Anyway - for those that have been to the area or live there...

- Anything we should definitely see or do in the San Fran / San Jose area?

- In a perfect world I would love to be able to play Pebble. We wouldn't stay at the resort so I know tee times could be hit or miss. Other courses to consider or recommend? *not looking for a debate if Pebble is worth the $ or not*

Thoughts, tips, advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Separate golf from what should be a father - son adventure.

• Monterey Bay Aquarium
  • Winchester Mystery House
  • Golden Gate Bridge
  • Alcatraz Tour (never been myself but my wife's grandfather wrote Escape From Alcatraz so I have to throw it in here)
  • Fisherman's Wharf
  • Tech Museum
  • Redwood State Park

Awesome, thanks. Why do you say separate? He would be playing too so my idea is that that is part of the father - son adventure. Golf and Clemson Football, his two favorite things on earth (football being first), ha!

There are quite a few courses worth playing in the Monterey area if you cannot get onto Pebble

They are:

Pacific Grove - "poor mans pebble beach" -the back nine is in the sand hills by the ocean - very affordable

Poppy Hills - NCGA public course on "17 mile drive" - Pga tour used to play it, Senior tour still plays

Spyglass Hill - My favorite course in the area - on 17 mile drive right by pebble

Bayonet and Blackhorse - Former Fort Ord Army base - top conditioned golf that still offers views of the bay

Sort of golf related /sort of not. IF Clemson makes it to the Nat Champ (Santa Clara), me and the boy (8) will be taking the trip out. Coming that far from South Carolina we would take a few days early to visit the area and hopefully even a little golf in the Monterey/Carmel area(... you know what I am thinking...)

- In a perfect world I would love to be able to play Pebble. We wouldn't stay at the resort so I know tee times could be hit or miss. Other courses to consider or recommend? *not looking for a debate if Pebble is worth the $ or not*

Notre Dame

1. San Francisco - If you have never been to SF, you probably need to take at least 1 day (maybe 2) and see a few things. Having said that, the city is dirty nowadays (particularly downtown). They spend millions/year cleaning up poo off the streets from the homeless. Still, you could get out to Alcatraz and see the GG Bridge pretty easily. Golden Gate Park is also good to see/walk and there is a Par 3 course in GG Park and the California Academy of Sciences is there also. Nearby you could also golf at TPC Harding Park or Lincoln Park Golf Course.

2. See the Redwoods at Big Basin Redwood State Park. Always amazing to see those giants. https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0b/4f/a2/e2/burned-tree-still-standing.jpg

3. Monterey - Aquarium is worth the visit. Also, the golf courses listed by @hattrick23 above would be good.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

Notre Dame

Clemson and it won't be close.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Notre Dame

make sure plane tickets are refundable

I took my wife to Pebble and she went down to Point Lobos State Park and said it was amazing. Obviously the aquarium is a big hit although we didn't go.

Harding Park is spendy if you're not local but it's a good option if you're staying in the city. Dim sum in Chinatown, Lombard St., Haight Asbury, there's a lot of see. IMO, it's kind of an "adult city" I guess they all are though... Maybe throw an amusement park into the mix.

Good luck with Bama.

Notre Dame

There needs to be an UNLIKE button. LOL :taunt:

I'm with HH on this one, I love to ND but I doubt it. It will be Clemson vs Bama yet again (OU has one of the best offenses I've seen but the defense makes you want to barf)

Taking a trip like that will be priceless experience. Take anything and everything you can in. Hope they make it.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright- flights are booked! Was cheaper to fly into Monterey, so works out well. We fly in on Friday, will spend a few days down around there - aquarium, redwoods hiking, we’ll see. Then driving north on Sunday afternoon. Anyway, maybe looking for a quick 9 holes somewhere:

- anyone play pacific grove links (“poor mans pebble”)? 49 afternoon rate looks pretty good, maybe just 9 holes.

- Peter hay par 3? Doesn’t look quite as good as the Cradle , but looks fun enough and quick way to do something at Pebble beach area.

Pulling otter details together, maybe Golden Gate, more hiking. Still open to suggestions. 8 year old son.

Thanks everyone. GO TIGERS!!!

Alright- flights are booked! Was cheaper to fly into Monterey, so works out well. We fly in on Friday, will spend a few days down around there - aquarium, redwoods hiking, we'll see. Then driving north on Sunday afternoon. Anyway, maybe looking for a quick 9 holes somewhere:

- anyone play pacific grove links ("poor mans pebble")? 49 afternoon rate looks pretty good, maybe just 9 holes.

- Peter hay par 3? Doesn't look quite as good as the Cradle , but looks fun enough and quick way to do something at Pebble beach area.

Pulling otter details together, maybe Golden Gate, more hiking. Still open to suggestions. 8 year old son.

Thanks everyone. GO TIGERS!!!

As is often mentioned, if you can only play 9 at Pacific Grove ask to play the back nine. The front nine has been rerouted since it's original design (the clubhouse was moved) and it is inland. The back nine is real links holes out on the sea. Beautiful views.

Definitely do Golden Gate, it's such a highlight of the San Francisco experience.

Take a pic on the city side, wander around there. Then you get the experience of driving it, go to the Marin Headlands side for some amazing views and more pics. Drive back across. Can done be as quickly or slowly as time permits.

If you have time, you could also look into going to Muir Woods. Beautiful

IF a golf outing is considered, youth on course is your boy’s ticket. Spanish Bay, inside the 17 mile road, holds one tee time a day for juniors. Greens fee is $5.00! You, full rate. One of my favorite experiences with my daughter.

+1 on Spanish Bay. Best 15 bucks I ever spent.

Poppy Hills, Pacific Grove, Del Monte, Bayonet are all YOC rate courses as well.

Long Shot, but does anyone HAPPEN to live in Monterey area that would have an extra set of junior clubs laying around that we could borrow on Saturday? Tough to find courses that rent junior clubs. Boy is 8, 53" Tall...so anything close to that could work. Experienced player, he wont trash them. haha! Looking to play Pacific Grove.

Happy to return the favor when you come to Charleston, SC!

I'm up in San Ramon, but that's over 2 hours away. You may try Play It Again sports in Soquel, CA about 45 min from Pac Grove. Buy a used set and then sell them back to them. Certainly a PITA.

playitagainsports-soquel.com

4770 Soquel Dr, Soquel, CA 95073

Thanks Wildcat. We’ve got a packed schedule and looking at 90% rain on Saturday as of now. If he really wants to play we’ll probably hit the Peter Hay par 3 at PB. Def going to hit up the Pebble beach area and pro shop!

Congrats to Clemson and hope you enjoy the trip!

Congrats to Clemson and hope you enjoy the trip!

Thanks , TM!

Perhaps inquire at Poppy Hills? As the HQ for the Nor Cal Golf Association perhaps they'll have a junior set or a suggestion as to where you could acquire one.

I kinda like the idea of swooping into a Play It Again Sports and buy 8 or 10 clubs, you could even buy some ladies clubs and cut them down and regrip them. Either send them home in a box or donate them to one of the courses.

Perhaps inquire at Poppy Hills? As the HQ for the Nor Cal Golf Association perhaps they'll have a junior set or a suggestion as to where you could acquire one.

I kinda like the idea of swooping into a Play It Again Sports and buy 8 or 10 clubs, you could even buy some ladies clubs and cut them down and regrip them. Either send them home in a box or donate them to one of the courses.

Actually Poppy came up today as an option through a connection out there for the same reason you mentioned. Thank you for suggesting. Going to follow up tomorrow. PLay it again good idea, but we are only there for a day before driving North for the game. Buying clubs, Cutting and gripping, shipping will be way too much work and $ for the quick 9 holes we’re looking to play. We’re there to check out the area, see aquarium, redwoods, visit pebble pro shop , all the touristy stuff! A quick 9 holes would just be a cherry on top, but all good if we don’t get to play.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. We had an awesome Trip. We flew directly into Monterey on Friday arriving around 1:00 - played the Pebble Beach Par 3 course. With our limited time it fit the bill - quick , cheap, and checked the box for golf. The course is nothing special, but its just up the hill from the Clubhouse and has spectacular views of the ocean & mountains. We spent some time at Pebble Beach visiting and then drove 17 mile drive . Between Pebble, Cypress, MPCC, Spyglass, and Spanish bay that stretch of road is Heaven on earth for a golfer. Unbelievable. We'll be back in the future for a golf trip for sure. Rained all day on Saturday but drove the coast down toward Big Sur for some hiking and went to the aquarium. Sunday we drove north to Big Basin Redwoods and onto the Golden Gate Bridge before coming back down to Santa Clara for the Game...which obviously turned out great for us. Anyone looking for a cool trip definitely put it on your list (as if Pebble Beach isnt already on your list!). Hopefully the boy learned a thing or two and will take some good memories away.