who has actually played with a legit scratch golfer/pro level player?

NM44

I am a scratch. With a 4.5 yr old and a 5 month old at home most of my rounds are as close to home as possible and not with a steady group. I primarily play 2 courses and almost always call the day before I play to get paired up with a 2 or 3some as early as possible. Humbly stated, I'm of the ilk this thread is titled. It has been interesting reading how better players are viewed when randomly paired up.

I have played with a couple tour pros (not big name guys at all). I've played with a ton of really good players. The only time I've really been impressed was last summer. I went out late on a Saturday afternoon to get a quick round in. 2 guys were warming up and both had some ability so I asked if they wanted to pair up.

I carry driver right at 270 (I'm 5'8 175). The better of the 2 players was about 6'3 and was by me by 40 yards on every drive. Through 15 holes he was -6 including a bogey on a par 5. He was driver and flip wedge into every par 4. Driver-iron into 3 of the 4 par 5s. He hit 70-100 yard wedges inside 15 feet every time (most of them inside 10 feet) and made every putt.

It was impressive. I think I was 2 over through 15.

Reston "The Remmy" Remson

His game was an interplay of shots and sounds that wordlessly communicated a seemingly limitless prowess evidenced by scorecards adorned with numerous birdies. As he strolled down the greenest of fairways his accompanying orchestra was song birds, and nothing that resembled the bustling crowds dotted with backward hats, beer cups and typical body sounds. He lived on club food, red bull and vending machine snacks high in carbohydrates and low in nutrition. He smelled of 2-cycle fuel and aged cheese. His shoes were worn but what one would call radiant when compared to his slacks that hung like drapes in the living room at the garden square apartment complex in St. Louis on East and 6th.

Has anyone here ever played with Lexi Thompson?

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Speaking of perception:

I have always been amazed at what skill level the average weekend player considers 'good enough to be on tour'.

The last time for me was playing up in CO at my favorite course. I was a single of course, so got paired up with a couple of nice older guys riding together in a cart.

We were on the 9th hole, a slightly uphill dogleg right par 4. My cut shot off the tee didn't, so I'm just out of the fairway on the left and on a bit of a slope with the ball a bit above my feet. I'm getting ready to hit when the old guys drive up. One of the guys asked me "why aren't you on tour somewhere?" He said that they have watched me hit high shots, low shots, left-to-right shots, and right-to-left shots. At that time I think I was one under. A decent score for me, but not great at all for a good stick.

I looked at them and said that the difference between my game and that of someone on a 'tour somewhere' is about the same as the difference between their game and mine (they were probably between a 10-15 if I had to guess). I then described what a pro would be looking at for this next shot:

Elevated green (blind shot from where I am), kidney shaped right to left with the pin tucked in the back left (sucker pin), that would benefit from a high soft draw that lands about 3/4 of the way back and releases towards the hole. Over was dead.

Then miraculously, I proceeded to hit the very shot I just described, and looked over to the guys and said "kinda like that". Both guys now had their mouth hanging open. When we got to the green, we could see that indeed the ball had landed short of the pin and released to about 7'. I was a bit surprised that I managed to pull that shot off with the lie/stance that I had, and told the guys that I was very, very lucky with that shot. I managed to lip out the putt on the low side. Took my standard kick-in par, and I looked at the guys and told them that a pro wouldn't have missed that.

They still claimed that I should be on a tour somewhere. *sigh*

So you're one under, working it high low left and right, then after asked why you aren't a pro you "call your shot" to a tough location and execute to perfection. Then you "sigh" because they just don't get it?

Some of the God worship of pros gets a little ridiculous around here. Some of them do superhuman stuff don't get me wrong. Your average scratch can't hit drives like Rory or DJ. But you know what? Your average PRO can't hit drives like Rory or DJ. I get a chance every year to see a lot of the "lower level" pros every year at the John Deere. Now don't get me wrong, they're all good. VERY good. Consistent. But a lot of them are 280 in the fairway, iron onto the green, and two putts. They don't wow you constantly. They hit solid shots. And they don't have that bone headed shot once or twice a round like a scratch golfer. Their short games are extremely solid. And don't get me wrong, they're a notch above. But dont a FEW of you think if your average club scratch had access to tour level coaches, played the immaculate greens and sand of a tour setup, and practiced EVERY day because that's their job, that your average scratch wouldn't also have an extremely solid short game?

Bottom line is this I guess and why I responded. For those nine holes you EASILY could've been mistaken for a pro. You had it going, and it could very easily be seen by two guys randomly paired with you that you are a potential pro. They didn't see the 76 you shot the week before. They're looking at a guy hitting every shot in the bag and playing under par. To "sigh" and insist they have no idea what they're looking at is just you not understanding the situation.

So I have shot under par a decent amount now, and have played with others who have too. But....During our member guest this summer, I played against Broc Johnson (went to ASU at the same time as Rahm). He played the easiest, quietest, bud light drinking round I have ever witnessed while shooting a 65... it was insane.

Would you tell us more about Cameron Champ? I'm very curious about him as I believe he represents the next major change in the world of professional golf much like Nicklaus and Tiger in their prime.

The fact he can hit it so far with what appears to be a very controlled swing is amazing to me. He has the short game too

Thanks

Driver:  TM IQ10 10.5*

3 Wood:  TM Stealth2 16.5*; 9 Wood Ping G430 22.5*

Irons:  Srixon ZX5 4 - P

SW:  Titleist SM9 S 56*

Putter:  Bettinardi BB-8W

I'm pretty close to scratch and distance is a strong point. I never really paired up with guys who hit it that much longer than I do.

However, I play with a lot of guys who are +2 up to +4 and it's a different level in terms of what a miss looks like. I can hang for 9 holes but over the course of a round... no, over a 3-4 day tourney forget it.

Have played with LPGA players (impressive but in a whole different way from the + handicap guys in terms of how they get it done.

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

I actual played 9 holes with Bret Hull in Duluth MN once, awesome to watch and yes my game improved by the 5th hole after I got over the jitters of playing with him. I was in a gallery at a local private club in Duluth for a sponsored "pro" he arrived late and was without a warm up and was the average joe until the 5th hole when everything finally started to click. He was awesome to watch and he talked about a proper warm up and stretching

One thing I've noticed is that a NY/NJ scratch golfer looks nothing like a CA/FL/TX scratch golfer. They must play shorter courses there.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

Speaking of perception:

I have always been amazed at what skill level the average weekend player considers 'good enough to be on tour'.

The last time for me was playing up in CO at my favorite course. I was a single of course, so got paired up with a couple of nice older guys riding together in a cart.

We were on the 9th hole, a slightly uphill dogleg right par 4. My cut shot off the tee didn't, so I'm just out of the fairway on the left and on a bit of a slope with the ball a bit above my feet. I'm getting ready to hit when the old guys drive up. One of the guys asked me "why aren't you on tour somewhere?" He said that they have watched me hit high shots, low shots, left-to-right shots, and right-to-left shots. At that time I think I was one under. A decent score for me, but not great at all for a good stick.

I looked at them and said that the difference between my game and that of someone on a 'tour somewhere' is about the same as the difference between their game and mine (they were probably between a 10-15 if I had to guess). I then described what a pro would be looking at for this next shot:

Elevated green (blind shot from where I am), kidney shaped right to left with the pin tucked in the back left (sucker pin), that would benefit from a high soft draw that lands about 3/4 of the way back and releases towards the hole. Over was dead.

Then miraculously, I proceeded to hit the very shot I just described, and looked over to the guys and said "kinda like that". Both guys now had their mouth hanging open. When we got to the green, we could see that indeed the ball had landed short of the pin and released to about 7'. I was a bit surprised that I managed to pull that shot off with the lie/stance that I had, and told the guys that I was very, very lucky with that shot. I managed to lip out the putt on the low side. Took my standard kick-in par, and I looked at the guys and told them that a pro wouldn't have missed that.

They still claimed that I should be on a tour somewhere. *sigh*

So you're one under, working it high low left and right, then after asked why you aren't a pro you "call your shot" to a tough location and execute to perfection. Then you "sigh" because they just don't get it?

Some of the God worship of pros gets a little ridiculous around here. Some of them do superhuman stuff don't get me wrong. Your average scratch can't hit drives like Rory or DJ. But you know what? Your average PRO can't hit drives like Rory or DJ. I get a chance every year to see a lot of the "lower level" pros every year at the John Deere. Now don't get me wrong, they're all good. VERY good. Consistent. But a lot of them are 280 in the fairway, iron onto the green, and two putts. They don't wow you constantly. They hit solid shots. And they don't have that bone headed shot once or twice a round like a scratch golfer. Their short games are extremely solid. And don't get me wrong, they're a notch above. But dont a FEW of you think if your average club scratch had access to tour level coaches, played the immaculate greens and sand of a tour setup, and practiced EVERY day because that's their job, that your average scratch wouldn't also have an extremely solid short game?

Bottom line is this I guess and why I responded. For those nine holes you EASILY could've been mistaken for a pro. You had it going, and it could very easily be seen by two guys randomly paired with you that you are a potential pro. They didn't see the 76 you shot the week before. They're looking at a guy hitting every shot in the bag and playing under par. To "sigh" and insist they have no idea what they're looking at is just you not understanding the situation.

I took lessons from a former web.com player, who ran out of money before he ran out of time. So to your point there is pro level talent out there that perhaps didn't have their best stuff a certain week of Q school qualifiying etc... a lot of it is timing, having your A game at the right time.

I feel the biggest difference is their misses....I'm a + cap and some mini tour players I play with really dont miss shots where I do... they miss in places where they can get it up n down. By all means they dont always do that but majority of the time they do.

This is a good point, some of what makes these guys so good is just the way they plan their rounds. Sure they hit really good shots, but they also meticulously plan where they want to aim, and how they want to play and shape their shots, so that if they do miss, they don't leave themselves with difficult up and downs, etc.

I feel the biggest difference is their misses....I'm a + cap and some mini tour players I play with really dont miss shots where I do... they miss in places where they can get it up n down. By all means they dont always do that but majority of the time they do.

This is a good point, some of what makes these guys so good is just the way they plan their rounds. Sure they hit really good shots, but they also meticulously plan where they want to aim, and how they want to play and shape their shots, so that if they do miss, they don't leave themselves with difficult up and downs, etc.

Absolutely.... if there is a place on hole where they absolutely can NOT hit it, they usually dont, the up and down will be not in their favor...

Absolutely.... if there is a place on hole where they absolutely can NOT hit it, they usually dont, the up and down will be not in their favor...

This is probably the biggest mental/strategic part of the game that I need to work on, especially on approaches. I'm better than I used to be at playing away from trouble off the tee, but I need to resist the urge to fire at flags and do a better job of avoiding short-siding myself.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

• 2 weeks later...

I've played with a number of scratch players over the years and even a couple that have played some level of professional golf, but one of the coolest rounds to watch was back when I was in high school I was playing with one of the Assistant Pros at our golf course when he tied the course record - and he left a birdie putt short on 18 from about 10-12 feet to have the solo record.

I have, different game, different approach and different mindset.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Right around 10 years ago I was playing the best golf of my life. I lived between 72 to 78 on most of the courses I played. Good days meant I'd flirt with the 60s bad days meant 82. I played with several guys in the same boat, some a little better, some not quite as good. I did have the opportunity to play with a handful of guys who were legitimate + handicaps. There is no doubt that they were better at everything, longer, straighter, better with wedges, better putter, etc. I played with one of them regularly. Playing with him really upped my game. I still remember shooting 74 and getting beat by 12 strokes when he shot 62.

Pros live on a different planet from scratch golfers. I'd guess that a scratch in reality is closer to a 10 handicap than being a pro.

As far as length is concerned, I'm fairly certain that most golfers have no clue what "LONG" really is. When I was a young man I thought I was long because I was longer than most of the guys I played with. When my game got better and I started to play with better golfers I learned what "LONG" really is, and it wasn't me.

Long really is relative, is It not?

For many years I was generally considered "long" by others, never gave it much thought as my short game was just a train wreck most days. Then one day I was joined by a random fellow at my club a few years back who carried a Titleist 905 with like 7.5 loft and a very "stock" shaft. Dude through down the longest darts I have seen to this day, often rolling some 50 yards past where mine finished. Every tee ball just like the others with around 250 max carry but the ball just wouldn't stop.

Know a guy that routinely went out and over the back net at Top Golf Tampa, hits the longest highest balls I've seen with stock RBZ throughout. He doesn't think he is long, talks up his brother who played at East Carolina. Go figure

Guy that works at my club is a legit tournament +3. Since I've known him I've seen him be as low as a +4.5.

He played D1 college golf and also attempted to golf for a living; played a few years on the Canadian tour before realizing he just didn't have what it takes. Regained his AM status years ago.

He's won our city championship like 5 times or something, qualified for the US AM several times.. Stuff like that.

What sets him apart is his putting. Our head pro, who's a hell of a stick himself, says that this guy is the best amatuer putter in the state of California. His putting and shortgame around the greens is otherworldly - probably tour level.

He only hits the ball 280 off the tee so I think distance held him back some.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Played with a guy who turned out to be a club champ at some point...turned in a +1 on a day where he just didn't look at putts at all. He played an old Ping driver and was long but that wasn't the most impressive thing. Distance control and short game were just unbelievable...hits 15 of 18 greens is inside 12 feet about all day long. I realized long ago I'm just chasing a ball around a field.