2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Range Rudeness

Clambake

I applaud the op for his politeness with these morons. I'm taking action against some of them ... moving bags, chipping back at guys etc etc

The guy hard beside me w the tunes .... "really dude, 18 open spots and you go right beside me and then add tunes, move over 8 spots now, you're not the only golfer in Cali"

I'm not saying start a fight but many folks do this type of crap because nobody has ever called them on it

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But frankly, this is what ya'll deserve with being able to practice on December 31st. ;-)

Hey, we have winter! Today its 57 and rainy...I don’t know how we endure such miserable cold here. :-)

I’d say I hate you, but you did send me those PB bag tags so I’ll just say strongly dislike!. It’s about 10* here with blowing snow and 25 mph winds. Yuck!

From the opposite side of the coin, I was once hitting a few putts before my round on a crowded practice green. Every hole had at least one guy putting to it. A set up on a hole with one guy putting to it, about 90 degrees offset from him. As my first ball stops near the hole he says "That was rude!" My reply, "First time on a golf course?"

There are a lot of hackers at the range I practice at, and still I don't generally encounter a lot of issues on the range. I can ignore most of the stupid stuff out there as they're not typically directly interfering with me. The practice green area is a different story. The guy who is there often hitting 40 yard pitches over the entire green, and it's huge. One end to the other, everyone trying to avoid getting beaned. He's a good player, but no common sense or courtesy. I've chewed him out a few times but he never stops. Another guy brings his son to show off his skills, does the same thing. Lots of people who will start putting to the hole I'm chipping at, even though I'm not crossing any other holes and there is no one else there...and the green usually has 12-15 holes on it. The two 20 year olds who have chipping contests, moving from spot to spot, jumping in front of everyone. The list goes on and on...and all of that leaves out the fact there is a separate putting green.

My pet peeve, and it may be minor, is the people who stand right on top of a hole while putting to another. Pull the balls out of the hole, drop them right next to it, then putt to a new hole. If the green is full, move a few feet away so someone else can use it!

But frankly, this is what ya'll deserve with being able to practice on December 31st. ;-)

Hey, we have winter! Today its 57 and rainy...I don’t know how we endure such miserable cold here. :-)

I’d say I hate you, but you did send me those PB bag tags so I’ll just say strongly dislike!��. It’s about 10* here with blowing snow and 25 mph winds. Yuck!

Seriously, I do feel very sorry for those of you who experience true winter. I grew up in an area with some serious winter and remember what it can be like. You're welcome any time in the winter on my course!

My pet peeve, and it may be minor, is the people who stand right on top of a hole while putting to another. Pull the balls out of the hole, drop them right next to it, then putt to a new hole. If the green is full, move a few feet away so someone else can use it!

+1 Seems so easy and obvious, and yet so few people do this basic courtesy.

The guy who is there often hitting 40 yard pitches over the entire green, and it's huge. One end to the other, everyone trying to avoid getting beaned. He's a good player, but no common sense or courtesy.

Does he drive a Porsche truck?

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I’d say I hate you, but you did send me those PB bag tags so I’ll just say strongly dislike!��. It’s about 10* here with blowing snow and 25 mph winds. Yuck!

Seriously, I do feel very sorry for those of you who experience true winter. I grew up in an area with some serious winter and remember what it can be like. You're welcome any time in the winter on my course!

No thanks! Place sounds downright dangerous!

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

I play on a military base course. No problems like this at all. Everyone is respectful. When then national anthem plays, everyone show proper respect. You won't see anyone taking a knee.

Hit em good

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

I would have lost it on those people. Never had that at the range i go to.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

We're hitting from covered bays this time of year where I am, so when people smoke we all get to share in the fun. The other day this jagoff comes in and lights up a giant cigar with a great deal of pomp and circumstance. Very obvious he knew it wasn't cool and was proud of it, like a text book sh**eating grin kinda guy. So I'm absent-mindedly staring at the guy kinda taking it all in and he gives me the "there a problem?" I reply "yeah, you're an word not allowed and you smell." Met with some applause and a "thank you" from down the range. Thankfully he packed up and left.

[size=2][i]"I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"[/i][/size]

[size=2]-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom[/size]

All this happens to one person in a matter of a couple months?

Although, what really grinds me is when I'm putting on a somewhat crowded practice green and someone is practicing their chipping and pitching on to it.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

Wow. I moved out of So cal. 11 years ago. I haven’t had a single issue that approaches any of the ones you describe since I’ve been in Ohio and I go to the range 2 or 3 times a week.

You are either very unlucky or your range is strangely filled with jackassses.

......or maybe Ohioans are just really considerate. People are generally pleasant here unless you insult the Buckeyes.

I’m glad to hear my fellow Ohio brethren steer clear of this jackassary. I’m only 25, and can not stand the “all about me” attitudes and egos that many of my peers have. Just glad that I was taught respect and humility from young age.

Word of the day.....jackaassary……...

It seems like each generation has fewer manners than the generation before. Maybe it has something to do with being raised by daycare instead of parents.

I haven't seen all of the situations of the OP, but it seems that since I started practicing at a on-course range, instead of a stand-alone range, there is more

politeness, even though the course/range is just as public.

The other version of the guy who gets next to you on an empty range is a Left Hander, who is now facing you if you are a RH.

I rarely get anything like that....but what DOES happen a lot at the range i go to is people use the wrong stall (our range the stalls are numbered and you get assigned a number when you buy a bucket)....So i'll walk up to my stall and someone will be in it, and then will get mad at me because i ask them to move.

What also happens sometimes is teachers will be giving lessons standing in the stall next to the one their student is in, and then roll their eyes at you for wanting to use that stall (on busy days, it is sometimes the only one available).

That stuff i don't get....it's like , you're standing in a stall i'm paying for homes

Lol. You ever go to a ballgame and someone is sitting in your seat? They get super pissed when they have to move for some reason.

I rarely go to a public range as I practice mostly at my house in what used to be a pasture. I do warm up on the practice range when I am out of town. I posted a picture last year of a guy at a range that disregarded the "Mats Only" sign and walked out in front of me and another guy to hit off grass. He was off to the side but still in front of us. The other guy beside me got a case of the shanks and sent several over the guy out front's head. He turned around like he was mad and asked if he was going to get hit. I made a comment to the guy beside me loud enough where the moron could hear to keep on hitting if the guy was too stupid to move.

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

From the opposite side of the coin, I was once hitting a few putts before my round on a crowded practice green. Every hole had at least one guy putting to it. A set up on a hole with one guy putting to it, about 90 degrees offset from him. As my first ball stops near the hole he says "That was rude!" My reply, "First time on a golf course?"

Yea, I’ve seen people like this. There is nothing wrong with sharing a hole. I’ve seen guys on pga tour practice green with three people putting to the same hole, sometimes their balls hitting each other. It’s like shooting around in basketball before a game.

Honestly, many people just get uptight at the course and find reasons to complain. I think the reason for this is because golf is a very tough and frustrating game and can make people uptight. We only heard the OP side of these stories, for all this to happen to him, I’m thinking he might be stretching the situation on some of these.

I rarely get anything like that....but what DOES happen a lot at the range i go to is people use the wrong stall (our range the stalls are numbered and you get assigned a number when you buy a bucket)....So i'll walk up to my stall and someone will be in it, and then will get mad at me because i ask them to move.

What also happens sometimes is teachers will be giving lessons standing in the stall next to the one their student is in, and then roll their eyes at you for wanting to use that stall (on busy days, it is sometimes the only one available).

That stuff i don't get....it's like , you're standing in a stall i'm paying for homes

Lol. You ever go to a ballgame and someone is sitting in your seat? They get super pissed when they have to move for some reason.

Haha, that was never a problem at Expos games! You usually had whole sections to yourself

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Bottom line op. You haven’t slapped enough people yet. The guy hitting pitches over my head would have been #1. If you’d have took a 9 iron to his left knee , next morning word would be around and you’d be known as “ that crazy old man who you don’t want to fook with “.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Unfortunately, some folks definitely mistake courtesy for weakness- sounds like you need to work on giving 'the look' and calmly drawing the line. Takes a lot to flip the switch for me, however, some of that behavior would come perilously close. Hope you enjoy many more pleasant experiences in future and you are welcome to join my group anytime.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

I have had three similar incidents to the OP so agree that some people are either stupid, rude or ignorant - or more likely all 3.

1) When using our chipping green everyone finishes a bucket and moves in to clear the green before starting again and generally counts how many balls they pick up. All apart from one old woman who basically hoovers up about 2 baskets worth everytime

2) On the same chipping green we had a fantastic couple that at the end of the chipping process and during the collection phase would have a putting competition as they putted there basket worth of balls to one hole whilst everyone else were supposed to wait for them to finish. This is whilst the putting green is empty

3) We have stalls inside for wet days and hitting mats outside. This is a nice day and hence everyone is hitting from outside, jack*ss comes along and decides that he wants to hit from inside for some reason and proceeds pinging balls between me and the guy two mats over. When it is politely suggested to him that he comes outside he throws a tantrum about it being his choice of where he wants to hit from and the wind disrupts his swing

Personally, I think it is part of a larger societal change where no-one considers the effect of their actions on the rest of the world.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/Frankfurt

My faith is somewhat restored hearing that most people here haven't experienced anything like I had. And I must admit that the last couple times at the couple ranges I've seen nothing but politeness.

For those suggesting that I've either made these up or exaggerated, I wish that were true as it would mean only 1 jackass (me) and not a bunch of others. I will note that the incident with the guy moving my clubs at the range happened at the end of the summer and not just the last couple months. But alas, all the incidents are true and not exaggerated.

Our society is de-evolving quickly. Not too long ago, one would encounter the occasional person talking on a cell phone in a restaurant or a store. Now it's frequent and everywhere, and no longer are they holding it up to their ear...they're loudly carrying on speaker phone or FaceTime conversations. I was even in a Miami airport restroom last spring and a guy came in having a FaceTime chat, propped the phone on the back of the urinal and continued his chat while he did his business. Sigh.

My faith is somewhat restored hearing that most people here haven't experienced anything like I had. And I must admit that the last couple times at the couple ranges I've seen nothing but politeness.

For those suggesting that I've either made these up or exaggerated, I wish that were true as it would mean only 1 jackass (me) and not a bunch of others. I will note that the incident with the guy moving my clubs at the range happened at the end of the summer and not just the last couple months. But alas, all the incidents are true and not exaggerated.

Our society is de-evolving quickly. Not too long ago, one would encounter the occasional person talking on a cell phone in a restaurant or a store. Now it's frequent and everywhere, and no longer are they holding it up to their ear...they're loudly carrying on speaker phone or FaceTime conversations. I was even in a Miami airport restroom last spring and a guy came in having a FaceTime chat, propped the phone on the back of the urinal and continued his chat while he did his business. Sigh.

You are right, our society is going downhill. Self-absorbed individuals don't care about the rights of others. I hope you don't have many more bad range experiences.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

It seems a day doesn’t go by without another ratcheting up of rudeness. Over the last couple months at the range I’ve experienced:

• Busy day at the range with most stalls busy. Two 20-somethings come and take empty stalls separated by 2 other spots, and proceed to have a loud conversation with each other talking across the two people in between them (I was one of them). In 30+ minutes I don’t think they hit a single ball.

• Working on pitching at one of my courses two pitching greens, a guy comes up and sets up behind me and starts hitting pitches over my head to the green. I politely ask if he could pick a different spot so he’s not hitting right at me, he snaps back “You don’t own the course. I can hit from anywhere I want”.

• I’m set up on a large practice green using a hole that’s in the farthest away corner, with a mirror set up and some stretchy string to work on my stroke. Im the only one on the green, which has 8 hole locations. Guy starts chipping from the far side at the hole I’m using, and he’s not very good so the balls are whizzing by. I ask (again politely) if he wouldn’t mind using a different hole, and he replies that he needs to use the one I’m set up at because that’s the length of chip he wants to practice.

• On a very busy day at the range, I finish one small bucket but things are clicking so I decide to get another. My bag is set up up behind the mat, and I lay my club on the mat while I walk into the shack to pay for another bucket. While I’m there, a guy walks up and tosses my club off to the side and moves my bag and sets his stuff in place. I come back out and see this and say “Hey, WTF are you doing?”. He claims he was there first and I took his spot. He hadn’t even bought a bucket yet. While he went in to get his bucket I put my clubs back and let one of the managers know what happened. Guy comes out with his bucket, sees me in the spot, and starts to get furious and screaming. Manager hands him his money back and orders him to leave the premises and never come back.

• Guy stands his bag so close to my mat that I’m afraid I’m going to hit it with my backswing. I ask him if he could move it a little, but he says “No, that’s where I like it”. I proceed to smack it three times with my driver backswing. He gets ticked off and moves it, calling me various things unprintable here. I didn't have to even exaggerate to hit his bag, it was so close to me.

• It’s a nice peaceful, uncrowded evening at the range, and there are only two of us in the section with about 20 stalls, and we’re spread out at opposite ends. Guy walks up and takes the spot right beside me (don’t know why he couldn’t use one of the other 17 empty spots), and then proceeds to pull out a Bluetooth speaker and crank up the country music. Even the guy at the other end yelled over to ask him to turn it down.

Most people are reasonably polite and respectful, but it seems the incidences of obnoxiousness are on the rise.

You must have been at stadium golf. lol. Honestly I have quit going there for some of those same reasons. I just go the base courses as i have that option and practice there. Yes there are still people like that on base as well but we deal with them and it is de-escalated very quickly.

In My Bag
TM Stealth 10.5* PX T1100 6.5 75g
TM Stealth 3W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g 

TM Stealth 5W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon Modus Hybrid shaft 95X

2021 TM P790 5-PW Modus TT DG Tour issue 100X
TM High Toe 50, 54 and 58

Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB-X Yellow
#insideTMAG 2013