What is most important in picking a golf coach?

My daughter is young and only played 1.5 years but has already had 2 different coaches and we are looking for a new one

It seems like it is hard to find a good fit

What are the important things in picking a good coach?

I know personality and rapport are important, but am starting to think it might reputation of a coach based on players taught over the years and their performance might be more important overall for longevity

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter is young and only played 1.5 years but has already had 2 different coaches and we are looking for a new one

I know personality and rapport are important, but am starting to think it might reputation of a coach based on players taught over the years and their performance might be more important overall for longevity

The coach being able to connect with and motivate the kid to get better in a way that is fun for the kid so that you don’t have/want to be a drill Sargent of a parent

The coach being able to connect with and motivate the kid to get better in a way that is fun for the kid so that you don’t have/want to be a drill Sargent of a parent

Your definition of a coach and my definition of a coach differ. Motivation should come from the junior golfer not from the coach or parent.

My son has had two coaches. With one, he came home and could not tell me really anything they worked on. Had no drills to work on prior to going back.

With the second, he could tell me exactly what they worked on, had very specific drills to do in order to improve and specific goals to meet before coming back.

I may have used poor wording in my last post.

My point is, if you have a kid that cares then having a coach that is engaging and able to give easily understood follow up work is vital. It does very little good, if any, for a kid to continue practicing bad habits.

And yes, I do think it’s important for a coach to be able to motivate kids. They have the position to be much more effective than parents.

No reason at your daughters age to have any coaches let alone 2.

Who will teach her the fundamentals?

She doesn't have 2 coaches at the same time - she has had 2 different coaches over the last 1.5 years

I didn't ask whether she needed a coach - I asked what is important in looking for a good instructor

Do you always give advice so flippantly without understanding the situation or needs of the person?

She doesn't have 2 coaches at the same time - she has had 2 different coaches over the last 1.5 years

I didn't ask whether she needed a coach - I asked what is important in looking for a good instructor

Do you always give advice so flippantly without understanding the situation or needs of the person?

At you daughters age there is nothing to look for. 2 to 4 basic lessons a year is all she needs.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Your definition of a coach and my definition of a coach differ. Motivation should come from the junior golfer not from the coach or parent.

My son has had two coaches. With one, he came home and could not tell me really anything they worked on. Had no drills to work on prior to going back.

With the second, he could tell me exactly what they worked on, had very specific drills to do in order to improve and specific goals to meet before coming back.

I may have used poor wording in my last post.

My point is, if you have a kid that cares then having a coach that is engaging and able to give easily understood follow up work is vital. It does very little good, if any, for a kid to continue practicing bad habits.

And yes, I do think it’s important for a coach to be able to motivate kids. They have the position to be much more effective than parents.

Symantics... I think motivation is internal. Coach should challenge them in a way to fuel the motivation.

Desire is internal. Motivation can come from many places.

A coach is only there to help with fundamentals. A kid has to have talent and love of the game. You hire an instructor because you need them to teach fundamentals. Those fundamentals are different for every person. There are some basic principals and the guy or girl you hire should know how to actually play golf well. If they have played golf well at one point you on the right path with them if they teach kids.

You as the parent are the actual coach for you kid. This means you better learn as much as you can and find resources locally for them. Not as hard as it sounds because instructors are at most ranges and golf courses and you can talk to them.

The kid also needs to have talent and love the game if they don’t it will. It will not matter who you hire.

When do you fire a coach? it is when they don’t address what you need done. For instance kid doesn’t hit strait because grip is off but when you ask about grip they never look at it. Another one is when you measure there clubs you notice their 3 colors up on the US kids clubs and they coach say the clubs are good. Could go on with more but that should get you a picture of what makes sense.

How do you hire a coach you look for someone that will fix something that you know you need. You should also check out videos by the coach on YouTube and see if they make sense to you. Beyond that you need to make sure you can afford them And see them enough that it will make a difference.

There is also no reason to hire a top 10 coach for any kid to learn basic fundamentals they need. At certain point the top coach may have what you need but they also may ruin your game if you go to them for the wrong reasons.

At you daughters age there is nothing to look for. 2 to 4 basic lessons a year is all she needs.

I would say it really depends on what is needed. If you can find a TPI coach who really understands how to prevent injuries the younger they are the better. A lot kids have issues that will cause injuries and coaches and parents are clueless. Back issues are very easy to happen in golf.

Weekly lessons with a coach who builds a swing for a lifetime is worth every penny. Hard to find instructors who focus on this aspect.

Terrible advice for a parent who doesn't have the ability to teach a child the basics

Just let the child go on for months at a time without having the proper fundamentals - doesn't sound right at all

Terrible advice for a parent who doesn't have the ability to teach a child the basics

Just let the child go on for months at a time without having the proper fundamentals - doesn't sound right at all

90% of the parents don't understand the proper fundamentals.

90% of the parents don't understand the proper fundamentals.

That's why you need a coach

But you are somehow advocating my daughter doesn't need one

Your comments make no sense

They make plenty of sense. You refuse to read the forums and accept educated responses. Kids need to learn and develop early from exploring and developing on their own. In a sport like golf, a lot gets thrown out of the window when they hit a growth spurt. Teach them mobility, stability, and how to be an athlete. Let them figure the golf part out on their own.

They make plenty of sense. You refuse to read the forums and accept educated responses. Kids need to learn and develop early from exploring and developing on their own. In a sport like golf, a lot gets thrown out of the window when they hit a growth spurt. Teach them mobility, stability, and how to be an athlete. Let them figure the golf part out on their own.

which fundamentals get "thrown out the window" when they hit a growth spurt?

grip? alignment? stance? posture?

how about course management, reading greens or hitting a proper bunker shot - kids become clueless on those things once they hit puberty?

how does a parent who doesn't know much about golf teach them those things when they are young?

or maybe you are advocating that "they learn all those things on their own"?

maybe they'll get it through osmosis...after many many years?

do you think working with a coach more than 4x a year (per your recommendation) might be a better way to ingrain those fundamentals quicker and earlier?

if so, do you think there's any value to that?

how do you know whether I read the forums and that I'm not accepting educated responses?

is your "don't need more than 4 lessons a year" an educated response?

why, because you have a daughter that plays in college?

or because you have a son who you think is a shoe-in to do so also?

did you teach help teach them the fundamentals of the game, or did you just rely on "4 lessons a year from a coach"?

if you did help teach them, don't you think someone who can't do that needs assistance that you didn't need?

Picking a coach for younger golfers to teach them fundamentals is not too tough. Any certified instructor (TPI, USKG, etc...) will more than likely be able to teach the fundamentals. I'd be looking for someone that my kid connects with although my kid tends to connect with just about anyone.

If your kid has any skill in golf, the ones who get coaching do way better from my experience. My kid played way better at 6 with a golf academy he went to then when he hit 7 and we stopped all coaching (instead only coaching by Dad who is not a pro coach by any means). In USKG tournaments, more times than not you can tell the kids that are under coaching 1/week or 2/month vs the kids who are without coaching. All my opinion with exceptions granted....

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

When choosing a golf coach...the single most important thing to look for is if he/she is connected enough to get your kid into an Ivy League school.

...and a not too distant second is the type of ball the coach plays and pushes. The ball by far the most important element in this game.

You played lots of football growing up?

When choosing a golf coach...the single most important thing to look for is if he/she is connected enough to get your kid into an Ivy League school.

...and a not too distant second is the type of ball the coach plays and pushes. The ball by far the most important element in this game.

You played lots of football growing up?

I did...but only during skiing off-season...and when football didn't overlap, or in any way interfere with my top-ranked tennis status.

Football is good for the piano mind as well.

You should check it out.

I think the best coach is the one that forces push ups when the kid messes up.

You should consider running laps instead - may be more useful for him

Push Ups, actually, are more beneficial than running. Running is bad on the knees and joints. If their were an exercise bike to do spin on I would dig that.

Push Up actually are more beneficial than running. Running is bad on the knees and joints. If their were an exercise bike to do spin on I would dig that.

I think you should post 4-5 standalone threads asking "What golf coaches advocate push-ups and spin en-route to the Ivy League".

Then...argue with each person (including iteach) within the thread because your mind was made up prior to creating the thread...and Google told you something otherwise.

Push Up actually are more beneficial than running. Running is bad on the knees and joints. If their were an exercise bike to do spin on I would dig that.

I think you should post 4-5 standalone threads asking "What golf coaches advocate push-ups and spin en-route to the Ivy League".

Then...argue with each person (including iteach) within the thread because your mind was made up prior to creating the thread...and Google told you something otherwise.

LMAO.... This post is 100% Truth!!! The exact reason everyone trolls Tigermom.