2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Ping I500 Real Course Reviews Please!!

twgolf78

Hello All,

Im leaning heavily on ordering some PIng I500 irons.

Ive been a AP2 player and I'm looking for something a tiny bit more forgiving.

Looking for some long term real course reviews not launch monitor reviews.

I would get a 3 - PW Set more than likely with PX 6.0 and might even grab a pair of glide forged wedges too.

Thanks

I have had a set for a few months now. I had been playing iBlades previous to getting the I500s. I had an older set of AP2s many years ago. I don’t think the i500s are going to be significantly more forgiving than your AP2s to be honest. I don’t really think they’re much more forgiving (if at all) than my iBlades which are fairly forgiving for an iron marketed at the “blade” crowd.

FWIW, I define forgiveness as how acceptable misses are in terms of distance and accuracy. The i500s seem to be more about distance than overall forgiveness. And I don’t think they’re all that much longer than my iBlades anyway. /shrug

I’m likely getting rid of mine soon as I’m either going back to the iBlades or getting back into some actual blades like Titleist or Mizuno. One thing I reall don’t love about the i500s is the clicky sound, even on solid strikes. Don’t make the mistake of thinking I hate them though. I do like them overall but don’t love the sound and don’t like them more than my iBlades.

• Like 1

Thus far I’m impressed with my G700’s. About 45 holes played.

Last week I got a G700 5 iron to replace my Ping eye 2 3 iron. They both go about the same distance due to similar loft and the springy face. Anyway, the G700 launches higher than my eye 2. It is super forgiving. I’m going to get the 6-8 irons also. They are “shovelier” and I’m lovin it!

$$$$

I’m 14 rounds in with my i500. And I really can’t give you a review yet.

Maybe love/hate is the only description I can give right now.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

i have a 4 iron and basically use it as a driving iron. Great performance and looks. Do not love the feel. If I were buying a whole set, I'd probably gravitate toward the i210 for better feel.

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

Mizuno STG 15* Ventus Blue 7x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 5

Had them since they came out. Probably 20+ rounds on them. Love. Love. Love.

Don't have issues with sound unless I miss one, but when hit solid it's a deep thud like you crushed it. And you did. Great distance control, I've never said "pin high" this much in my life.

Great out of most lies (long irons are tough to hit out of deep rough, but when weren't any long irons hard to hit out of deep rough?). Dropped the hybrid, only use the 3 now.

Got 1 extra club on low irons (PW-8), two extra up from there. Not even tempted by a potential release in Jan of a more blade like version. Hit the three iron like a champ off the tee.

I get comments all the time on how good they look and how well I hit them. Couldn't be happier. No issues with wear or cracks (that seems to be over blown around here).

They look brand new other than the faces, which is about right.

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

I'm 14 rounds in with my i500. And I really can't give you a review yet.

Maybe love/hate is the only description I can give right now.

sorry to quote myself....but to add to what i said earlier ..

Played 9 again today ...so 14 1/2 rounds in ... After clearing up a setup issue ( feet and shoulders doing there own thing) i couldnt have hit them better... They do want to go straight , but i turn them both ways when my swing is working..

Sound..My set is hotmelted for weight and i really do not get the sound complaints people have. If you hit them in the middle they are marshmallow soft.. If you hit a clanker ..well it may clank.. But thats any iron except Vega..lol

distance ? Mine are retro lofts , and im seeing around 1/2 club ( 4-5 yards) more carry than the MB set they replace. that grows to around 10 on the 4 iron which is becoming my favorite club. I dont ever seem to hit a bad shot with it . Its taken me a while to tune them to y preference with lie angle bending several times and weight added to get swing weight to D4....but thats same as any iron . nobody makes an iron heavy enough for my tastes these days .

overall ....after thinking on it alot...Id give them a solid 8.5 out of 10.... if i could order them with my choice of shaft at no upcharge ( modus 130X) at D4 weight and they had a slightly sharp leading edge grind , id give them a 12! The super low offset and great feel sold them to me.....and to me they are plenty forgiving .

The thing that shocked me was the distance control.. I have yet to hit any huge shot gun blast of distance... my miss with them has been side to side... Distance has been very consistent ....which you would think the opposite. I hit balls at home , and when i go to pickup from say a 7 iron batch of 10-20 balls.. unless i hit a really bad one most every ball will be in a small pattern close together.. not once have i had some mystery 20yard missile.. and im hiting them hard.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I've only played about 5 rounds with them, but they have been great. I should preface this saying I've never been a Ping iron fan, it goes back to a time when I rented a set of G 5's and I hated them. When my client handed me the i500 I wanted to hate it because of my past experience, but after about 20 swings I was feeling a lot different about Ping irons. On the course, they are long but consistent, unlike the P790's they replaced. They feel great and while I'm not half the golfer bladehunter is, I agree with everything he wrote.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Interesting that so many people mention feel as it relates to these irons.

It isn't like Ping irons have ever been known for their feel. When they're flushed, they feel like nothingness. That's how you know you hit the sweet spot. :)

What they are known for is predictable trajectory and tons of distance control, and it sounds like a lot of people are finding that to be true with the i500's.

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Thus far I’m impressed with my G700’s. About 45 holes played.

Last week I got a G700 5 iron to replace my Ping eye 2 3 iron. They both go about the same distance due to similar loft and the springy face. Anyway, the G700 launches higher than my eye 2. It is super forgiving. I’m going to get the 6-8 irons also. They are “shovelier” and I’m lovin it!

It's funny. When I wanted to place my order with our rep, he told me to wait for the i500 to come out. We got the new heads, and I started hitting both of them. "Man, this i500 head is sexy, BUT hitting this G700 is so much fun!" I spent almost 2.5 months giving the i500 a chance, but the G700 won me over on performance. My biggest concern was the ability to flight the ball, and it's not a problem. My second concern was how it handles with simple chip shots, just a matter of adjusting to the feel a little bit. Never thought I'd put "shovels" into my bag!

• Like 1

It isn't like Ping irons have ever been known for their feel. When they're flushed, they feel like nothingness. That's how you know you hit the sweet spot. :)

What they are known for is predictable trajectory and tons of distance control, and it sounds like a lot of people are finding that to be true with the i500's.

The feeling on bad shots is what drives people to the cliff on these.

I could careless about how bad they feel on mis-hits...

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

The feeling on bad shots is what drives people to the cliff on these.

I could careless about how bad they feel on mis-hits...

I’ve played forged irons for 20+ years. There is no comparison when you pure a carbon forged iron. Ping I500 can’t compete. I gave it a try after reading all it’s praise and loving my G400 LST driver. Back to Mizzy irons.

• 2 months later...

I got a set of the i500's the day they went on sale. Based on results in the simulator and due to my advancing years I went with the recoil F2 (senior flex) shafts. I played them with very positive results but felt that the shaft wasn't right for me, I wasn't ready for senior flex, yet. So I took advantage of PGA Tour Superstore's 90 day playability guarantee and traded them in for the same 5i-UW set but with the Recoil F3 (regular) shafts. Before ever putting them in play I got notified I won a contest for a full fitting and new set of clubs from Driver through putter from another manufacturer. So now I am sitting here with a set of i500's that have never been hit that I'm not sure what I want to do with.

Gotta be on 40+ RDS I guess.

Still really like them. Have a few adjustments to make, might put a recoil or something, maybe new KBS graphite in the 3. It's a bomber but lowish. Off the tee generate some power and height but off the deck difficult to elevate. Not hard to hit as 3i come. Went with a 3rd wedge rather than the set Gap. And I was happy I did. PW is like my old 8. Lol.

But consistent in my world, distance wise. I say 'pin high' alot...wish I said GIR more often though. That's a me thing, slight mishits heel to toe still fly, make a bad noise, feel kind of crappy, but fly. Thin shots aren't really deadly, it's very forgiving - 4cap - so not horrid mishits (often), but still very happy with the set.

Got mine a bit heavier than stock, with lighter shafts, so they do have a bit of melt in them. Thinking of adding more frankly as they feel a tick lighter, even at same weight as my last set.

**Edit: totally just noticed my post from Oct which was about the same. Ha. Oh well, sorry for duplicate content, but they are that good**"

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

After watching some favourable reviews on youtube, especially Rick Shiels, I thought I'd try a 'forged' Ping iron today.....and.......er......terrible. The main reason for testing was that the reviewers commented on how 'soft' the iron felt. It just isn't soft, for me. At all. Not compared to mine anyway (check signature). Admittedly it was shafted with DG S300 120 but I have tested other irons with the same shaft that felt softer, so......in fact, if I remember correctly, the S55 or S56 felt a lot better when I hit one a few years ago.

Anyway, for 'feel' you can't beat a solid one piece forged iron. So I recommend going a different route. I liked the 2018 AP2 and the TM P770. Both are a similar size I think.

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

After watching some favourable reviews on youtube, especially Rick Shiels, I thought I'd try a 'forged' Ping iron today.....and.......er......terrible. The main reason for testing was that the reviewers commented on how 'soft' the iron felt. It just isn't soft, for me. At all. Not compared to mine anyway (check signature). Admittedly it was shafted with DG S300 120 but I have tested other irons with the same shaft that felt softer, so......in fact, if I remember correctly, the S55 or S56 felt a lot better when I hit one a few years ago.

Anyway, for 'feel' you can't beat a solid one piece forged iron. So I recommend going a different route. I liked the 2018 AP2 and the TM P770. Both are a similar size I think.

I am a senior who has gradually been losing some distance and can’t spin his irons like he used to, and I play this club and love it. I play graphite shafts. I play to a low handicap and normally hit the ball reasonably square and in the middle of the face. The feel is excellent for me. When I make bad hits, yes, it is somewhat harsh, but nothing like the old fashioned blades that we used to play that would rattle the fillings in my teeth. And on bad hits this club tends to perform as well as some of the game improvement clubs I have owned. I strongly recommend that the low-mid handicap player who hates the look of game improvement clubs, loves the look of a blade club, and is losing height and distance (or any player who just wants more height and distance than what they presently have) should try hitting this club and see what you think.

One problem. The ap2 isn’t a solid forged iron either. Just the face.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I played a round with the i500s as a rental. I could not see what the hype was about. They don't "feel" much better than my G700s, and they were not any longer. Height and spin seemed similar, but the i500 was not as forgiving.

So for me the i500s are in the twilight zone. They perform decent but if results are what matters then the G700s outperform them. If feel mattered most then I would be looking at the Srixon 585's which feel way better, and are more forgiving.

I am a senior who has gradually been losing some distance and can’t spin his irons like he used to, and I play this club and love it. I play graphite shafts. I play to a low handicap and normally hit the ball reasonably square and in the middle of the face. The feel is excellent for me. When I make bad hits, yes, it is somewhat harsh, but nothing like the old fashioned blades that we used to play that would rattle the fillings in my teeth. And on bad hits this club tends to perform as well as some of the game improvement clubs I have owned. I strongly recommend that the low-mid handicap player who hates the look of game improvement clubs, loves the look of a blade club, and is losing height and distance (or any player who just wants more height and distance than what they presently have) should try hitting this club and see what you think.

Absolutely. They are harsh if not hit in the middle. Selling point for me. I want to know when I miss . Even a little.

Still swinging mine. Don’t know what it is. Must be perfect spin combo for me or something. I’m just in control with them.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• 4 weeks later...

Not a long term review but so far the retro spec i500's are doing everything I wanted from them, which is to go higher, spin more and stop faster than my old IE1 irons. Forgiveness seems similar, although misses very low in the face are nasty.

Favourable longer term review from me. The above still applies and I have learnt not to hit them thin. Retro loft spin plenty and have lots of stopping power, especially with a high spin ball like ProV1x

I’ve played 3 rounds with mine i500s! Best feeling irons I’ve ever hit!! They launch well they go far and they have no problem stopping on the green. I’ve shot 2 of my lowest scores with them and can’t wait to go lower. A must buy if your a ping guy ?

I’ve played 3 rounds with mine i500s! Best feeling irons I’ve ever hit!! They launch well they go far and they have no problem stopping on the green. I’ve shot 2 of my lowest scores with them and can’t wait to go lower. A must buy if your a ping guy ?

• Like 1