Masters Tickets

rlconklin

Can anyone explain to me why the Masters committee is so concerned about the resale of tickets? It seems to me that the guys and gals willing to shell out top dollar for tickets are the most loyal golf fans out there. The type of fans that the Masters would be most interested in hosting.

Are they concerned that scalpers are profiting off of their product? Seems a little petty, but I suppose it's their right to do so, but again, why punish the passionate golf fan who purchased the ticket?

They are trying to limit the people that will spare no expense and buy their way to a ticket. If it gets out of hand, there will be no real fans at the Masters. Yes, the Masters people have nothing but money, but to a certain extent they try not to show it when it comes to fan participation. They would rather have a fan with no money than a person there that has money and is just there because they "have" to be there for stroke their ego.

How are people who buy second hand not "real fans" but the ones who were selected in the lottery are "real fans".

Try reading the post carefully. It seems to be the thing to be seen at events. They don't care how much it costs, they just go to be seen and could care less about the golf. At least with the Masters committee trying to prevent this as much as they can, they hope that they can get more tickets into the hands of people who feel fortunate to get tickets in the legitimate manner and will attend rather than try and profit from their good fortune.

I did read it carefully. I still don’t understand your point. It seems like complete conjecture. I’ve been to the Masters twice (but not as a real fan). I’m not sure what you mean by people just trying to be seen. It’s probably the one of the most difficult sporting events to be seen at since there’s practically no cameras, phones, social media etc. My impression is that the people who were there wanted to watch golf.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone explain to me why the Masters committee is so concerned about the resale of tickets? It seems to me that the guys and gals willing to shell out top dollar for tickets are the most loyal golf fans out there. The type of fans that the Masters would be most interested in hosting.

Are they concerned that scalpers are profiting off of their product? Seems a little petty, but I suppose it's their right to do so, but again, why punish the passionate golf fan who purchased the ticket?

They don't need scalped ticket sales to "host" patrons - people are going to attend.

I don't think it's petty to protect the integrity of their ticket sales system, lol. Aside from the tickets they make available to the general public, the badges are one of the most exclusive tickets around.

Ticket resale and scalping has become a lot bigger business than it used to be - if AN thinks that making tickets available to the general public is resulting in more abuse and profiteering than what they can tolerate I'd rather they tried to stop the practices than just decide that general public tickets aren't worth the hassle.

Forewarned is forearmed and rules are rules. I don't get people that think there is some "entitlement" to get around whatever rules they have in place.

That being said, we were happy to buy second hand tickets for Tuesday in 2016 and were confident we were dealing with a reputable "reseller". If I'm lucky enough to get selected again I guarantee I won't be selling my tickets on StubHub, etc. - I'll be going.

So you would’ve been totally cool with the ticket agent in 2016 telling you that you weren’t allowed in the gates? If so, then more power to you. Maybe I’m in the minority here, but I just don’t get their strong stance on what seems like a pretty trivial issue.

If a scalper was having to tell people he couldn't sell them tickets that would get them in he wouldn't be out there at all, lol.

Your anti AN bias has you taking a strong and stubborn stance against reason.

They don't need scalped ticket sales to "host" patrons - people are going to attend.

I don't think it's petty to protect the integrity of their ticket sales system, lol. Aside from the tickets they make available to the general public, the badges are one of the most exclusive tickets around.

Ticket resale and scalping has become a lot bigger business than it used to be - if AN thinks that making tickets available to the general public is resulting in more abuse and profiteering than what they can tolerate I'd rather they tried to stop the practices than just decide that general public tickets aren't worth the hassle.

Forewarned is forearmed and rules are rules. I don't get people that think there is some "entitlement" to get around whatever rules they have in place.

That being said, we were happy to buy second hand tickets for Tuesday in 2016 and were confident we were dealing with a reputable "reseller". If I'm lucky enough to get selected again I guarantee I won't be selling my tickets on StubHub, etc. - I'll be going.

So you would’ve been totally cool with the ticket agent in 2016 telling you that you weren’t allowed in the gates? If so, then more power to you. Maybe I’m in the minority here, but I just don’t get their strong stance on what seems like a pretty trivial issue.

If a scalper was having to tell people he couldn't sell them tickets that would get them in he wouldn't be out there at all, lol.

I’m not talking about the scalper though. I’m talking about you...and me and the thousands of other fans who purchased tickets second hand. You seem like a good dude and loyal golf fan. You would have been the one punished.

I’m also not anti-AN. Far from it. I can’t think of a single issue I have with them outside of this one. They have the most well run sporting event that I’ve ever seen. It’s everything that’s great about golf. I don’t have a problem with them banning the seller and original owner of the ticket either. Those two parties made an agreement and the seller of the ticket broke that agreement.

My ONLY problem is with them punishing the purchaser of the ticket.

Just my two cents...

The Masters is known for being very affordable. Free parking, dirt cheap food, and tickets are actually quite cheap if you win the ticket lottery.

But when tickets hit the secondary market for literally thousands of dollars, it sends the opposite message: That the Masters is a very high dollar event only to be attended by the very wealthy. And I don't think the folks at Augusta National like the optics of that. They want their tournament to maintain a reputation as fan friendly and affordable to the masses. They just don't like the idea that people are paying $500 for a Tuesday practice round. They don't like seeing tickets advertised online for 4 figures. It'st not the message they want to be sending.

Personally, I applaud them for it. The Masters is probably the least "money grubbing" major professional sporting event in the world. Things like free parking and $1.50 sandwiches and no sponsorship signage are unheard of in this day and age. They are the last holdouts, and it's partly why it's my favorite sporting event.

On the other hand, the scalping crackdown sucks because it would just make it so difficult to attend otherwise. A couple years ago my friend bought himself and his 70-year-old dad tickets on the secondary market. Neither of them had been before. His dad is a lifelong golfer. It was a very special day for a father and son and wouldn't have been possible without the scalpers. Yes, my buddy paid an arm and a leg for the tickets, but there are certain things in life that you can't put a price tag on.

I have been playing the lottery for many years and never won. But I have attended twice thanks to scalpers.

So I guess you could say that I'm torn on the issue.

I believe that if they adopted a zero tolerance policy for scalped tickets, than it would deter those who simply join the lottery to try and make a pay day. This would leave those of us who truly wanted to attend a better chance at landing tickets. I missed out last year and again for this year, but a few friends were lucky enough to obtain tickets for the practice rounds. Coming from Toronto, is not an insignificant amount of money when you account for the exchange rate but once you tack on the secondary markup it's just not worth it.

Last year, on stub hub they wanted $1500 US pp, for the sat, not including travel or accommodations.. That literally comes out equal to a new bag of clubs.

Titleist....

Just my two cents...

The Masters is known for being very affordable. Free parking, dirt cheap food, and tickets are actually quite cheap if you win the ticket lottery.

But when tickets hit the secondary market for literally thousands of dollars, it sends the opposite message: That the Masters is a very high dollar event only to be attended by the very wealthy. And I don't think the folks at Augusta National like the optics of that. They want their tournament to maintain a reputation as fan friendly and affordable to the masses. They just don't like the idea that people are paying $500 for a Tuesday practice round. They don't like seeing tickets advertised online for 4 figures. It'st not the message they want to be sending.

Personally, I applaud them for it. The Masters is probably the least "money grubbing" major professional sporting event in the world. Things like free parking and $1.50 sandwiches and no sponsorship signage are unheard of in this day and age. They are the last holdouts, and it's partly why it's my favorite sporting event.

On the other hand, the scalping crackdown sucks because it would just make it so difficult to attend otherwise. A couple years ago my friend bought himself and his 70-year-old dad tickets on the secondary market. Neither of them had been before. His dad is a lifelong golfer. It was a very special day for a father and son and wouldn't have been possible without the scalpers. Yes, my buddy paid an arm and a leg for the tickets, but there are certain things in life that you can't put a price tag on.

I have been playing the lottery for many years and never won. But I have attended twice thanks to scalpers.

This I can understand. Maybe it’s what others have been trying to say and I missed it.

I’m not talking about the scalper though. I’m talking about you...and me and the thousands of other fans who purchased tickets second hand. You seem like a good dude and loyal golf fan. You would have been the one punished.

I’m also not anti-AN. Far from it. I can’t think of a single issue I have with them outside of this one. They have the most well run sporting event that I’ve ever seen. It’s everything that’s great about golf. I don’t have a problem with them banning the seller and original owner of the ticket either. Those two parties made an agreement and the seller of the ticket broke that agreement.

My ONLY problem is with them punishing the purchaser of the ticket.

Sorry, wasn't following. I agree there is another side which is scalping has been going on right outside the gates forever and they are well aware so getting a bit selective with enforcement will punish some.

I wouldn't want to buy one, walk to the gate and not get in, but the guy I bought from would make it right, so there is that.

Buying long distance and taking a chance would be too much risk for me.

I get where you are coming from for sure.

Just my two cents...

Masters being cheap is a definition that always amuses me :D They don't make money on food, they make money on rights and merchandise, and those are not cheap at all :D

Just my two cents...

Masters being cheap is a definition that always amuses me :D They don't make money on food, they make money on rights and merchandise, and those are not cheap at all :D

I'm not talking about how they make their money. I'm talking about the cost to attend.

I assume by rights you mean tv rights. That really has no effect on the cost to attend.

Merchandise is not anything crazy compared to other majors (or compared to big time sports in general).

And when you factor in free parking and dirt cheap food, it is absolutely cheap. Relative to other major sporting events, it's among the cheapest.

True story, been to a few masters,this past spring I wanted to take my family to a practice round. Arrived Tuesday morning with wife and teen soon. Wife was worried about finding passes and wanted me to buy from scalpers out on the main drag, I wasn't going to do that as I have always bought from individuals leaving the grounds. After parking, I led us confidently towards the gate, soliciting folks along the way. This was the method I had used on several previous visits, but this time I not only struck out, several rejections bordered on downright ugly. Long story short, after a nice gentleman gave my son a pass close to the gate, I was surrounded by 4 or 5 members of the PD and almost arrested after forcefully telling a masters mall cop it was a free pass. I had a nice conversation with the guys, and it's my understanding that the scalpers have kids, attractive young ladies, and "families" working the entire area doing the same thing as me, only they are clearing anywhere from 20 to 50k for the week. We told my son to go, meet at amen corner at 2, if you don't see us, the car at 6. We were able to meet him, so it was worth it, and I understand the situation- as usual, the blame lies on greedy people,not Master's staff or golf fans.

Sooooo.. Looks like I won. First year I've ever tried.

2 to Monday's Practice Round..

Congrats - won practice round tickets a few years ago. It was fantastic to walk the course. Enjoy the days!

Forgot to mention - I was passed over again - Oh well ........... @#$%@

Thanks. Just curious, what happens if it gets washed out?

Don't know the exact rain-out policy to be honest but here's what happened to the wife and I 2 or 3 years ago.

Had won Monday tickets the year that Monday got cancelled and they cleared the course around 10:00. Didn't really think anything about until about 10 days after the Masters I get an email from them informing me that they were refunding my money and that I would automatically get tickets the next year, at face value of course, in the lottery. Then, to our surprise, they sent tickets for Wednesday and not Monday.

I believe that if they adopted a zero tolerance policy for scalped tickets, than it would deter those who simply join the lottery to try and make a pay day. This would leave those of us who truly wanted to attend a better chance at landing tickets. I missed out last year and again for this year, but a few friends were lucky enough to obtain tickets for the practice rounds. Coming from Toronto, is not an insignificant amount of money when you account for the exchange rate but once you tack on the secondary markup it's just not worth it.

Last year, on stub hub they wanted $1500 US pp, for the sat, not including travel or accommodations.. That literally comes out equal to a new bag of clubs.

Absolutely agree. This ^^ is what needs to happen. Rediculous how many lottery winners sell there’s for profit. Then there’s guys like me who have never won the lottery and never been. And I live inside driving distance .

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Absolutely agree. This ^^ is what needs to happen. Rediculous how many lottery winners sell there’s for profit. Then there’s guys like me who have never won the lottery and never been. And I live inside driving distance .

I wonder if they will go to something like their own "official" ticket exchange similar to what the NCAA has for their events.

It would be nice to get a lot of the resellers out of the lottery. I've been selected once in the lottery and got to go twice. The year I was selected I had some relatives back out on 2 of my 4 tickets. I did sell them at market price to defray some of my travel costs. I enter the lottery every year with the intention to go. It would take something significant to prevent me from going.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

The only two times I have been were in 2008 and 2009 when the economy was in the tank and prices on the secondary market were crazy low. I believe we went Saturday-Sunday both years for less than $500/person/day.

I hope they retain some ability to purchase tickets on secondary market/elevated prices in order to guarantee access if you want to pay the $$$. The ability to take a son/father on a once in a lifetime trip or take a valued client when your schedule opens up is a positive in my opinion.

ANGC could set up a program to refund tickets from lottery winners unable to attend at 100-125% of face value (+% to possibly defray travel cancellation fees) and release those tickets at very high price points or auction and donate the proceeds to a charity of ANGC's choosing. The slim profit would likely drive away scalpers and all that extra money flowing to a charity would please ANGC.

I wonder if they will go to something like their own "official" ticket exchange similar to what the NCAA has for their events.

It would be nice to get a lot of the resellers out of the lottery. I've been selected once in the lottery and got to go twice. The year I was selected I had some relatives back out on 2 of my 4 tickets. I did sell them at market price to defray some of my travel costs. I enter the lottery every year with the intention to go. It would take something significant to prevent me from going.

Would be a good idea for the lottery and zero tolerance on the badges/no reselling those if they are keeping that year after year system. Interesting.

Speaking as someone who hasnt won the tickets lottery since 2006, I dont see a problem with buying scalped badges. However, the $350 scalped Monday practice round badge I got in 2012 was awesome. Nowadays, they arent anywhere that cheap. I, like most of you, am a loyal golf fan. Hell, I even watch the small PGA Tour events. However, with the crappy odds of getting them, I am resigned to the fact I wont be getting them. The rejection email is in fact a “tradition unlike any other.”

Titleist CB irons 3-PW
Vokey Wedges
Odyssey putter

I won tickets for Sunday, after 10 years of trying via the lottery. If I wanted to attend on Saturday as well is it best to purchase via scalpers outside the gate or through reseller websites (Stubhub, etc)?

Highly recommend Butch in the Orioles cap probably set up right on the legal limit for distance on Washington, if he is still in business. No experience with the big boys.

Finally a decent conversation about my annual headscratcher....

Been trying the lottery for over a decade now with a friend and no luck whatsoever.

Actually we've been thinking that non-US entries are removed prior to selection....

Anyway, back on topic: cracking down on the scalpers has my full support. Buying tickets with the intent of not going and making money off fans is a big no-no. Albeit one which has a long history in the US, granted the rates have increased to a point which borders on ridiculous. Obviously there are people who can fork out the money no problem, I'm not one of them.

In Europe there too is lots of black market activity going on, but there are things being done to combat that.

You can say what you want about FIFA but their ticketing works. Main lever: personalized tickets.

If AN would really like to get rid of scalping and resale of tickets in general they'd open the whole tickets for general sale and personalize them so that you only can get through the gates if the name on your ID matches the one on the ticket.

If you bought tickets and one or more pf your group can't make it up to a certain point in time before the tournament AN will refund your money and hand the tickets off to the next guy in line. And there will be plenty of people in line...

This would also eliminate the second most troubling aspect of Masters ticketing: the fact that 95% (that's a guess on my part, could be 99% for all I know) of the tickets never reach the general public because every year the same people get tickets without doing anything for it, while the majority of prospective attendees have to rely on the lottery to collect the leftovers...

I go both ways on this scalping issue, because I’ve sold badges and had friends do it as well. We sold them to pay for our trip and merchandise inside the grounds (as you all probably know hotels are absolutely ridiculous, and you can buy a lot of gifts really quick). I get that the prices are outlandish, but people pay and I don’t think the green jackets are hurting for attendance, that’s just what the market is buying at. I’ve told this story before, most amazing story I have heard seen to this day, but buddy of mine and his dad had 12 (yes 12! A dozen!) badges for the week between them (they already each had two, as Class A Superintendents). They sold the rest paid for everything that week and had some left over, I felt like I got a steal buying two extra for 500 each.

Long story short if they cracked down great, if not ok too. The members I have talked to aren’t overly concerned about it, but it’s something they may look to correct in the future if things get out of control. (Not sure out of control means, that was the quote I was given).

Been trying the lottery for over a decade now with a friend and no luck whatsoever.

Actually we've been thinking that non-US entries are removed prior to selection....

Anyway, back on topic: cracking down on the scalpers has my full support. Buying tickets with the intent of not going and making money off fans is a big no-no. Albeit one which has a long history in the US, granted the rates have increased to a point which borders on ridiculous. Obviously there are people who can fork out the money no problem, I'm not one of them.

In Europe there too is lots of black market activity going on, but there are things being done to combat that.

You can say what you want about FIFA but their ticketing works. Main lever: personalized tickets.

If AN would really like to get rid of scalping and resale of tickets in general they'd open the whole tickets for general sale and personalize them so that you only can get through the gates if the name on your ID matches the one on the ticket.

If you bought tickets and one or more pf your group can't make it up to a certain point in time before the tournament AN will refund your money and hand the tickets off to the next guy in line. And there will be plenty of people in line...

This would also eliminate the second most troubling aspect of Masters ticketing: the fact that 95% (that's a guess on my part, could be 99% for all I know) of the tickets never reach the general public because every year the same people get tickets without doing anything for it, while the majority of prospective attendees have to rely on the lottery to collect the leftovers...

I don't know if "non-US" entries are indeed removed prior to selection but my brother and I (who live in Kansas City) have entered every year since the lottery began and haven't been picked yet so...........

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

I live in northeastern Canada. I entered the lottery for the first time for the 2014 tournament and got selected for two Saturday round tickets. Got selected again in 2018 for two tickets for the Tuesday practice round.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I live in northeastern Canada. I entered the lottery for the first time for the 2014 tournament and got selected for two Saturday round tickets. Got selected again in 2018 for two tickets for the Tuesday practice round.

Damn you!! ;)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Damn you!! ;)

:yess:

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06