2019 Phoenix Area Course Conditions

azgolfer44

New thread for the new year.

Played Papago this morning. It was cold, but very enjoyable. Course was outstanding except some green side bunkers are thin in sand. Greens were still quick. Facility is awesome with new pro shop and restaurant. Also a very fun putting green with lots of slope on one end. A definite play all winter with city card.

Alright I think I've narrowed down the courses I'm looking at playing in a few weeks but need some help from the locals. Below are the courses I have found that have good ratings and are around $100 a round. I am going on a trip with some college golf buddies. We are all at scratch or better so we like to play challenging but FUN courses. We will usually play the tips even if it means getting our brains beat in because we play for a traveling trophy (completely silly but it's fun and has bragging rights). Condition is going to be one of the biggest deciders here.

Southern Dunes

Verrado Founders

Whirlwind Devils Claw

Sunridge Canyon

Pick 2 of the 4

Alright I think I've narrowed down the courses I'm looking at playing in a few weeks but need some help from the locals. Below are the courses I have found that have good ratings and are around $100 a round. I am going on a trip with some college golf buddies. We are all at scratch or better so we like to play challenging but FUN courses. We will usually play the tips even if it means getting our brains beat in because we play for a traveling trophy (completely silly but it's fun and has bragging rights). Condition is going to be one of the biggest deciders here.

Southern Dunes

Verrado Founders

Whirlwind Devils Claw

Sunridge Canyon

Pick 2 of the 4

These 2 would be my call...but far apart travel wise. Devils Claw would be 2a. Although it is a pretty easy course. Personally, I would not even consider Sunridge. Would much rather do Legend Trail or Victory at Verrado or even Vistancia or Verde River.

1. Southern Dunes

2. Verrado Founders

Southern Dunes

Verrado Founders

Whirlwind Devils Claw

Sunridge Canyon

Pick 2 of the 4

Southern Dunes definitely.

Whirlwind or verrado for your second round based on travel time. Honestly though I like cattail much better than Devil's Claw.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Southern Dunes

Verrado Founders

Whirlwind Devils Claw

Sunridge Canyon

Pick 2 of the 4

Southern Dunes definitely.

Whirlwind or verrado for your second round based on travel time. Honestly though I like cattail much better than Devil's Claw.

Southern Dunes on your list is a must

Southern Dunes

Verrado Founders

Whirlwind Devils Claw

Sunridge Canyon

Pick 2 of the 4

Southern Dunes is really good and I’d highly recommend it.

Never played Devils Claw and only played the 2 other courses once. Liked both a lot and I think you can have a great time at either. There are some quirky holes on both but there may be more on Sunridge Canyon. If conditions were the same on both I’d probably recommend Founders, I am probably biased because conditions on Sunridge Canyon were a lot better when I played it than Founders when I played that.

Papago today with Cherokee. Good shape overall. Greens were very fast. Bunkers were good, I think was in 2 or 3. Pace was a bit slow even with us walking, we waited on several

Tee shots. 4h 30m, a bit less waiting on the back 9. I had an early dinner after my round at lou’s. The atmosphere, service & food was excellent! I love the course and the fun community atmosphere at Papago!

Verrado Founders this afternoon. Course was phenomenal, even with all the rain last night. $35 hot deal, can’t beat that. Really tough day with the weather. Wet course with no roll, breezy day, and cold temps. Ball just wouldn’t go anywhere. Not sure how much rain came down out there, but really impressive that there was no standing water. They had the golf channel AmTour tournament out there this morning, so a lot of the pins were really tough and tucked away. Made for a fun round.

Played Mountain Shadows today. STAY AWAY. Greens are terrible. Grass Didn't come in at all after overseed. Doubt it will be good for a very long time. Bummer because it is such a fun course.

Dang, what a bummer. Heading there in April and was really looking forward to playing Mountain Shadows. I'll monitor and hopefully they can turn it around.

Played Mountain Shadows today. STAY AWAY. Greens are terrible. Grass Didn't come in at all after overseed. Doubt it will be good for a very long time. Bummer because it is such a fun course.

Dang, what a bummer. Heading there in April and was really looking forward to playing Mountain Shadows. I'll monitor and hopefully they can turn it around.

It is a bummer. Such a fun course. The greens do putt slightly better than they look, but that is not saying much. I hate to say this, but I would be very surprised if it improved before the Bermuda comes back. Courses have one chance at getting the rye in, and if it doesn’t work, it is a rough winter.

The local professional tour (Outlaw Tour) appears to have stopped playing the weekly money game there. I would check its website to see if the weekly game resumes this winter. That’s probably the best way to evaluate.

It is a bummer. Such a fun course. The greens do putt slightly better than they look, but that is not saying much. I hate to say this, but I would be very surprised if it improved before the Bermuda comes back. Courses have one chance at getting the rye in, and if it doesn't work, it is a rough winter.

The local professional tour (Outlaw Tour) appears to have stopped playing the weekly money game there. I would check its website to see if the weekly game resumes this winter. That's probably the best way to evaluate.

Will do, appreciate the tip.

It is a bummer. Such a fun course. The greens do putt slightly better than they look, but that is not saying much. I hate to say this, but I would be very surprised if it improved before the Bermuda comes back. Courses have one chance at getting the rye in, and if it doesn’t work, it is a rough winter.

The local professional tour (Outlaw Tour) appears to have stopped playing the weekly money game there. I would check its website to see if the weekly game resumes this winter. That’s probably the best way to evaluate.

If you look on Instagram, you can find some pictures that have pictures of the greens. They look horrible and in one video the ball is bouncing all over on a putt

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Cave Creek this morning.

Fairways were in excellent shape all over except for some patchy spots in the tee shot landing area on #10. Greens looked a little stressed from heavy play but putted fine. Not as fast as Aguila or even close. Rough was the usual Cave Creek combo of hardpan and thatchy dormant Bermuda.

Horrible pace that got worse as the round went on. We teed off around 9:30am, front took 2 hours 20 minutes with us and the group in front of us waiting on every shot. By the time we got on the back nine, it was evident that the problem was a group of age 70-ish hacks a couple of groups ahead of us with at least 2 holes open in front of them. Round was at the 3 hour 30 minute mark when we putted out on 13. Decided we had enough of the pace which was causing our games to suffer, so we skipped in front of the slow group by going to #16 tee and flew the rest of the way in.

Aguila last Sunday and TPC Champions today. Paid the same for both rounds and finished under 4 hours on Both.

I’d say the conditions are pretty similar. No real rough on either course, greens on Aguila were a little faster and rolled a little better. I like both layouts and would recommend both. Unless you find a deal, Aguila is probably much better value.

Played AZ Golf Resort on Saturday. First time time playing since last year and it's gotten better. The conditions last year were decent but they were rather good this time out. Greens firm and pretty fast, fairways in good shape and rough decent as well. As i said before, not a must play but for $50 in the winter it was worth it. Has some quirky/odd holes but it's a good course to work on your game or just go out and have some fun. I would definitely go back again.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

If anyone can provide course updates on the Trilogy at Power Ranch and Mountain Brook Golf Club I'll be playing them in about two weeks. Thanks.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Flew into Phoenix and played Southern Dunes, Sunridge Canyon, and Mountain Shadows this past weekend.

Southern Dunes - I've played this course once before and it does not disappoint. I really enjoyed this course. Course was in fantastic condition. Greens were fast and smooth. If you miss, blame yourself. 7500+ was a monster especially because the fairways were pretty wet and there was no roll but I really enjoyed it. A+ for this course.

Sunridge Canyon - Can't beat the property to create a course on but this course was too tricked out and hokey for me. One of those courses that's tough to play once and enjoy since you don't know where you're headed. Some really amazing views though. Greens were pretty good. Fairways were decent too. Very wet though. The pro shop told us we could break 90 if we played the back tees and that the course was significantly harder than Southern Dunes. We all broke 90 easily and I would say the course is actually much more scorable once you know where you're going. Not sure I'll play this again when I come back.

Mountain Shadows - Was really excited to play this par 3 course. Greens were basically dead. I don't think the overseed came in. Rounds were slow. Overall this place has a cool feel of like an upscale and trendy par 3. Eventhough it was in rough shape, I enjoyed playing this course.