Pinehurst Golf in February? Thoughts?

WRXers, happy new year!

Quick question for you: I noticed that the packages are more affordable to play pinehurst in February (in March, the fees pick up). Weather seems to be a low of 33 and a high of 55 (based on weather.com historical averages).

Any reasons to not go in February? I'm an NYC golfer so I'm used to playing in colder temps, but curious to see if I may be missing anything. I'm more concerned about the quality of the courses at the time of the year vs anything else.

Thanks very much all!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve done the pinehurst February special before. It is probably the best deal but there could be weather issues. Three years ago was frozen. Two years ago I played #2 in shorts and short sleeves.

Courses will be brown, I don’t remember them overseeding. And Bermuda greens are covered at night when it is below freezing for multiple days in a row, that can make the greens not in the best shape. But still very good.

But like I said best deal you will probably find to play pinehurst.

Yep you need the weather gods on your side. We did a February Pinehurst trip a few years back and for our day on #2 there was “ice” (freezing rain) to the west that we dodged. Temperatures only warmed to about 40 but stayed dry. Other days were hi 40s low 50s. Maybe this year’s El Nino will be over by then and it will be drier and warmer than the average.

Winter weather in central North Carolina is incredibly up and down. One day it could be in the high 60s, and then snow and ice a day later. Just be mentally prepared to possibly play in almost any kind of condition. Course conditions are still very nice in the winter. It just won’t be a pretty bright shade of green.

I've lived in the area about 10 years now. I've played #2 a week before Christmas in shorts and a short sleeve shirt. I've also played it in a freezing rain and wind where my hands were numb by the second tee. Like others have said, it's a complete toss up.

The winters here are very unpredictable. We'll get 65 degree days for a week and then temperatures in the low 40s for a week and then back to warm again.

They do not overseed #2 (they actually paint the fairways to keep them green even though they are dormant). Other courses at the resort do get overseeded but I can't say for sure which ones do and which ones do not.

Make sure to get a tee time that allows enough daylight to finish. Rounds on #2 can be long, so a 1:00 tee time guarantees nothing with it getting dark at 5:30.

The biggest thing about winters here is all the rain. And this winter has been especially rainy. I haven't driven a cart on a fairway in months I feel like.

I believe they also run specials in the summer time, although probably not as cheap as the winter. Spring and fall are definitely the most expensive.

Good luck on the weather!

I live an hour North of Pinehurst. Golf in that area many times in the year. Feb can be hit or miss. You might be in shorts and a short sleeve shirt. Or, you might have snow(shouldn't be anything major but could be snow). If you go in Feb I would go late(last weeK) if you are looking to save $$$$. Rates go up usually first week in March. That gives you a better chance at good weather. It can be hit or miss. If you don't mind some cold weather go for it, but don't expect southern Florida either. Yesterday it was near 70. Today mid 50's. Could be 40 next week.

I live an hour North of Pinehurst. Golf in that area many times in the year. Feb can be hit or miss. You might be in shorts and a short sleeve shirt. Or, you might have snow(shouldn't be anything major but could be snow). If you go in Feb I would go late(last weeK) if you are looking to save $$$$. Rates go up usually first week in March. That gives you a better chance at good weather. It can be hit or miss. If you don't mind some cold weather go for it, but don't expect southern Florida either. Yesterday it was near 70. Today mid 50's. Could be 40 next week.

Exactly. NC got more rain in 2018 than any other year in history! Raleigh got more rain than Seattle.

Chances are better than 50/50 that it will be above 50 in Pinehurst in mid February. Low 40s beyond two days in a row would be the exception.

OP - I so go for it and prepare for it.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

As TaylorMade alluded to, the weather is hit/miss in Jan, Feb and March. I played Mid Pines last week and the course was A+. A little cold to start but mid 50's at finish. This week, I played in shorts/sweater Monday and today with slacks/sweater. I have played in Myrtle Beach with temps in the 30's in January. It's a crapshoot. If you don't mind playing in the high 30's low 40's, do it. Just pack accordingly. Don't get stuck down here with no rain gear or cold weather gear. It's like playing in Scotland. The scots love this type of weather.

Exactly. NC got more rain in 2018 than any other year in history! Raleigh got more rain than Seattle.

Chances are better than 50/50 that it will be above 50 in Pinehurst in mid February. Low 40s beyond two days in a row would be the exception.

OP - I so go for it and prepare for it.

The rain in the Carolinas in 2018 has been insane. Places with more than 100 inches of rain. The fall was basically ruined for golf in many areas. Lost nearly all of Sept because of the Hurricane Florence and then had Michael come through as well . I live in the Raleigh area and have a place south of Myrtle Beach. Been tough all over NC and SC. Guess what? It is raining again.

Following. We booked for mid Feb. Only been in the summer so I know that is gets HOT :rolleyes:

Edit: What Bmeliisen noted though is what everyone I know who has gone has said too. You could be playing in 50's to 70's .... or you could be in rain/snow and very cold.

im booked for mid feb too, president's day weekend to be exact. what about you?

One thing about #2 is that it drains extremely well. So despite all the crazy rain we've been getting, I can't imagine any real problems with that track as far as it being sloppy. It is after all the "sand hills." Very sandy soil that the water just drains right through. And of the course the water just falls right off the greens thanks to their turtleback design.

Following. We booked for mid Feb. Only been in the summer so I know that is gets HOT :rolleyes:

Edit: What Bmeliisen noted though is what everyone I know who has gone has said too. You could be playing in 50's to 70's .... or you could be in rain/snow and very cold.

im booked for mid feb too, president's day weekend to be exact. what about you?

Same :D So lets hope for good weather!!!.

Played both this summer. Dormie is a good traditional Coore & Crenshaw course and great track. Tobacco Road is a "Disneyland" of golf ..... or Putt Putt golf on steroids. If you want something completely different then Ross then hands down you have to experience it once in life play Tobacco Road. You will either love or hate it but you will never play anything like it again.....ever (unless you play it twice lol).

Edit: Key note....after you play a hole, forget it until after the round. IF you try to analyze the course aspects while playing it will drive you nuts LOL Just play it for what it is :D

Make sure if you're playing courses with bent greens that you check aeration schedules. When I lived in the area a lot of the courses punched their greens in mid to late February to ensure that they were completely healed before peak season in the spring. I know more of the courses in the area have bermuda greens now, but I'd inquire with any courses you're considering.

Make sure if you're playing courses with bent greens that you check aeration schedules. When I lived in the area a lot of the courses punched their greens in mid to late February to ensure that they were completely healed before peak season in the spring. I know more of the courses in the area have bermuda greens now, but I'd inquire with any courses you're considering.

Excellent point. When we booked I was given the aeration schedule. Below are the "top courses" most list as must plays.

Pine Needles/ Mid Pines: June 29- July 3rd

Dormie Club Feb 18-19 May 13-14 June 3-4 Aug 19-20 .

Tobacco Road July 1-4

Southern Pines Feb 11-12 June 10-11

Edit: Have full list if anyone has questions on a particular course. Does not list PH resort dates....

If it is a buddies trip, play Tobacco Road as team match play or as a scramble. I think you would have a lot of fun doing it that way as opposed to being super concerned with your individual score on a first play. Plus it will give you opportunity to take the aggressive, impulsive line off the tee and the more conservative line if you want.

I think the place is a treat to play. Different than anything out there in terms of look. If you got a bunch of guys who want to grind for a score I doubt they will care for it too much. If you have guys who want to hit fun and different golf shots I think they will appreciate it.

If it is a buddies trip, play Tobacco Road as team match play or as a scramble. I think you would have a lot of fun doing it that way as opposed to being super concerned with your individual score on a first play. Plus it will give you opportunity to take the aggressive, impulsive line off the tee and the more conservative line if you want.

I think the place is a treat to play. Different than anything out there in terms of look. If you got a bunch of guys who want to grind for a score I doubt they will care for it too much. If you have guys who want to hit fun and different golf shots I think they will appreciate it.

Everyone who plays Tobacco Road will either love it or hate it. No in between.

Also, you will generally either score great or awful out there. Not a lot of in between in this regard either. There are a lot of big numbers to be made out there and if you're playing from the long stuff all day your scorecard will be in trouble. But you can also light that course up if you hit all the right lines off the tees. My career best round (+1, as a 5-6 handicapper) came on the only time I ever played there and I know of several people who have "careered" it out there. Definitely a must-play. Even if you end up not liking it the only way to know is to try it.

^ I agree with that too. I throttled back, took my time, laid up when needed and shot a 78 which is a career low for me. That probably helps my opinion of the place.

I could see where people will call it "goofy golf" or "tricked up," but I bet if you don't worry so much about score and instead about hitting fun golf shots you would be more likely to enjoy the place if you would fall into the first camp playing stroke play.

Excellent point. When we booked I was given the aeration schedule. Below are the "top courses" most list as must plays.

Tobacco Road July 1-4

Edit: Have full list if anyone has questions on a particular course. Does not list PH resort dates....

A caution about Southern Pines. Its a really nice layout, typical Donald Ross use of terrain to fit a course onto the ground. But I understand they've had financial concerns over the last few years. The course was closed for a couple weeks over the summer of 2017, after which a new management company took over. I've heard from a couple of people that conditions have been spotty. Its a fun course to play when conditions are good, I just don't know how good they're likely to be.

Tobacco Road July 1-4

A caution about Southern Pines. Its a really nice layout, typical Donald Ross use of terrain to fit a course onto the ground. But I understand they've had financial concerns over the last few years. The course was closed for a couple weeks over the summer of 2017, after which a new management company took over. I've heard from a couple of people that conditions have been spotty. Its a fun course to play when conditions are good, I just don't know how good they're likely to be.

Sort of piggybacking off this same concept (but in reverse) ....

I understand that an investor (or maybe it was a buyer) pumped some serious money into Quail Ridge and they really got the place looking great. It had been quite dumpy the last several years. Has anyone here played it since it re-opened? I'm curious about giving it a go.

Tobacco Road July 1-4

I understand that an investor (or maybe it was a buyer) pumped some serious money into Quail Ridge and they really got the place looking great. It had been quite dumpy the last several years. Has anyone here played it since it re-opened? I'm curious about giving it a go.

I have and actually played with the new owner. By chance he was out on the course and we joined up. They did put a lot of money in it and it is really pretty good now. They revamped the greens and seeded the fairways.. Remolded the club house. He told me at one time they held ACC golf tournaments there years ago and he actually was the pro there at one time. He wanted to get it back in shape.

It is a Maples design and the layout was always there. This year it should be really good. They put a lot of money in the course. You can certainly see it.

Tobacco Road July 1-4

I have and actually played with the new owner. By chance he was out on the course and we joined up. They did put a lot of money in it and it is really pretty good now. They revamped the greens and seeded the fairways.. Remolded the club house. He told me at one time they held ACC golf tournaments there years ago and he actually was the pro there at one time. He wanted to get it back in shape.

It is a Maples design and the layout was always there. This year it should be really good. They put a lot of money in the course. You can certainly see it.

Yeah it was always one of those "it's a good layout if they could just get the good conditions to match" kind of courses. I may have to check it out. Before it shut down for the renovation I remember playing there for like $13. It was on full life support.

Tobacco Road July 1-4

Have not played there yet but here's an interesting article about Quail Ridge.

http://trianglegolf.com/index.php/2018/10/11/quail-ridge-rising-from-the-ashes/

I’d recommend TR over Dormie for a non-resort course. It’s a must-play in that you will never find another course like it. Doing Pinehurst over MLK weekend and taking advantage of their Donald Ross package and playing 2, 4, and 8.

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

This recent snowstorm (and impending one next week) is having me look into planning a solo trip down to Pinehurst for President's Day weekend.

Not to jack the thread (which is essentially what I am doing...) does anybody have any experience/thoughts/suggestions on how to best book a solo trip to the Pinehurst area in February? The goal of the trip is to try to maximize time spent golfing at good courses - so do Tobacco Road on my way down Friday, try to play 36 Saturday and Sunday and 18 on Monday on my way out and back to Virginia. I'd love to play Tobacco, Dormie, Mid-Pines and Pine Needles as the primary course of each day and fill in the courses to play in the afternoon. I don't need to play any of the Pinehurst courses, as I'll be back to play with a Pinehurst member later this year. That said, I certainly would be open to playing at Pinehurst though, if it made sense.

Using the search function on earlier Pinehurst posts, I've e-mailed with Julie of Tobacco Road Golf & Travel who was incredibly responsive and helpful. Unfortunately, she said she cannot book 36 holes in February due to the shorter days and potential frost delays - which I get and it makes sense. I also contacted Talamore via their electronic quoting system, which allowed me to book 36 holes in one day - but if I were to move forward with an actual agent, I'd assume they may limit me to only 18 per day.

I guess that's a long winded way of giving you my background and asking the group - What would you do if you were me? How would you book the second 18 on Saturday and Sunday? Would you recommend just hanging loose and figuring it out the week of the trip? Perhaps you would lean toward a replay? Should I book a caddy for any of my primary rounds? Also - my plan is to book a hotel room or a small AirBnb, all of which come in at ~$100/night. Any reason to do something different? After all that golf and a few beers, I don't need much ha!

Thanks in advance!

This recent snowstorm (and impending one next week) is having me look into planning a solo trip down to Pinehurst for President's Day weekend.

Not to jack the thread (which is essentially what I am doing...) does anybody have any experience/thoughts/suggestions on how to best book a solo trip to the Pinehurst area in February? The goal of the trip is to try to maximize time spent golfing at good courses - so do Tobacco Road on my way down Friday, try to play 36 Saturday and Sunday and 18 on Monday on my way out and back to Virginia. I'd love to play Tobacco, Dormie, Mid-Pines and Pine Needles as the primary course of each day and fill in the courses to play in the afternoon. I don't need to play any of the Pinehurst courses, as I'll be back to play with a Pinehurst member later this year. That said, I certainly would be open to playing at Pinehurst though, if it made sense.

Using the search function on earlier Pinehurst posts, I've e-mailed with Julie of Tobacco Road Golf & Travel who was incredibly responsive and helpful. Unfortunately, she said she cannot book 36 holes in February due to the shorter days and potential frost delays - which I get and it makes sense. I also contacted Talamore via their electronic quoting system, which allowed me to book 36 holes in one day - but if I were to move forward with an actual agent, I'd assume they may limit me to only 18 per day.

I guess that's a long winded way of giving you my background and asking the group - What would you do if you were me? How would you book the second 18 on Saturday and Sunday? Would you recommend just hanging loose and figuring it out the week of the trip? Perhaps you would lean toward a replay? Should I book a caddy for any of my primary rounds? Also - my plan is to book a hotel room or a small AirBnb, all of which come in at ~$100/night. Any reason to do something different? After all that golf and a few beers, I don't need much ha!

Thanks in advance!

Can't help on the golf course questions but with lodging/beverages my wife and I have enjoyed staying at the Comfort Inn and walking right next door to the Hickory Tavern. Neither place is high-end but both are solid choices after a long day on the links.

Thanks in advance!

Mattw387 we have our trip booked for that weekend. We are playing the same rota almost (MP/PN/TR but then Mid South...played Dormie last time and the price has jumped up a lot). We booked with Tobacco Road (Julie). She set it all up and we are staying at the Comfort Inn listed above by NCLancer. Price for each person was right at $100 per night for golf/room/taxes. We are not using caddies as you dont need them honestly on those courses.(IMHO....but TR try to play with someone who knows it LOL) If solo it might be a bit more given the room cost.

As to booking second rounds we tried and right now they will not let you this time of year do to potential frost delays (if you use TR). We booked our Fri/Sat rounds first out incase we dont have delays and can then just find a second round while there.

Thanks in advance!

Mattw387 we have our trip booked for that weekend. We are playing the same rota almost (MP/PN/TR but then Mid South...played Dormie last time and the price has jumped up a lot). We booked with Tobacco Road (Julie). She set it all up and we are staying at the Comfort Inn listed above by NCLancer. Price for each person was right at $100 per night for golf/room/taxes. We are not using caddies as you dont need them honestly on those courses.(IMHO....but TR try to play with someone who knows it LOL) If solo it might be a bit more given the room cost.

As to booking second rounds we tried and right now they will not let you this time of year do to potential frost delays (if you use TR). We booked our Fri/Sat rounds first out incase we dont have delays and can then just find a second round while there.

I love your line up - should be a great trip for y'all! Looks like we're both on the same page in terms of planning - thank you for the feedback on caddies. Interestingly enough, Julie quoted me lodging at the Comfort Inn as well, so thank you and NCLancer for helping me feel comfortable making my arrangements to stay there!

I've never played Dormie - so using this trip to knock it off my list before it goes private (if it ever does..).

Thank you and NCLancer for taking the time to respond - here's to great (I'll even take good to decent) weather for that weekend!