Where is the best competition for junior golf?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest junior tournaments are in Texas for sure. Played in both Texas and Florida and the Texas tournaments simply bring out more kids.

The Dallas area is probably as big as most Flordia state tournaments. When my daughter was under 10 you had to pretty much beat par on even low level tournaments to actually win.

On the Us kids tour it was even worse as routinely kids in the top 20 would play angainst kids who just started playing. I recall some events where you needed to be under 30 for even a chance to place.

Is it FL, CA, AZ, TX?

How about for US Kids Regional Tournaments - which are the ones that attract the best competition?

Tristate better than AZ. Jersey tours have 150+ kids with 15+ in a lot of age groups. Also MET is one of the best PGA sections in the country.

This is interesting

Besides sheer numbers, would you say that NJ and MET section talent level are same as the others mentioned?

Is it FL, CA, AZ, TX?

How about for US Kids Regional Tournaments - which are the ones that attract the best competition?

Tristate better than AZ. Jersey tours have 150+ kids with 15+ in a lot of age groups. Also MET is one of the best PGA sections in the country.

This is interesting

Besides sheer numbers, would you say that NJ and MET section talent level are same as the others mentioned?

I disagree.. the NJ/MET section might have numbers at the local level but the level of competition is not close to FL/TX/CA.

The confluence of good coaching, facilities, and competitive local tournaments are the factor IMO.

We play in NJ/Tri State so have a pretty good idea on the level of competition at the US Kids level..

So from the outside looking in - for those of us who don’t live in FL, TX, or CA that is- how do you keep up? My son is still young (8), but it’s a struggle to find good competition in our area and even within the state. And we live in coastal SC, so we do have a year round golf season. For us, Tmnt options are slim and fields typically very very small at local tmnts. We’ve come to enjoy the USKG regionals and worlds- good completion, sizeable fields, and we value the family vacation aspect of it. I realize that it’s costly for what we get, but there just isn’t any other viable Tmnt option(that I’ve found) locally or state level in his age groups that would be considered “competitive” until he hits the later ages of 12+. I am astonished , and a bit envious , of the great and varied opportunities that are available in the BIG 3 states for junior golf.

So from the outside looking in - for those of us who don't live in FL, TX, or CA that is- how do you keep up? My son is still young (8), but it's a struggle to find good competition in our area and even within the state. And we live in coastal SC, so we do have a year round golf season. For us, Tmnt options are slim and fields typically very very small at local tmnts. We've come to enjoy the USKG regionals and worlds- good completion, sizeable fields, and we value the family vacation aspect of it. I realize that it's costly for what we get, but there just isn't any other viable Tmnt option(that I've found) locally or state level in his age groups that would be considered "competitive" until he hits the later ages of 12+. I am astonished , and a bit envious , of the great and varied opportunities that are available in the BIG 3 states for junior golf.

It can be xxxxxx' stressful bro, don't be envious at all.

Agree you see the kid winning who has a swing coach, short game coach , personal trainer and PGX clubs along with their own PR agent and wonder how the heck your going to keep up and why am I not doing it with my kids. (By the way none of this matters but it still bothers everyone)

So from the outside looking in - for those of us who don't live in FL, TX, or CA that is- how do you keep up? My son is still young (8), but it's a struggle to find good competition in our area and even within the state. And we live in coastal SC, so we do have a year round golf season. For us, Tmnt options are slim and fields typically very very small at local tmnts. We've come to enjoy the USKG regionals and worlds- good completion, sizeable fields, and we value the family vacation aspect of it. I realize that it's costly for what we get, but there just isn't any other viable Tmnt option(that I've found) locally or state level in his age groups that would be considered "competitive" until he hits the later ages of 12+. I am astonished , and a bit envious , of the great and varied opportunities that are available in the BIG 3 states for junior golf.

It can be xxxxxx' stressful bro, don't be envious at all.

Agree you see the kid winning who has a swing coach, short game coach , personal trainer and PGX clubs along with their own PR agent and wonder how the heck your going to keep up and why am I not doing it with my kids. (By the way none of this matters but it still bothers everyone)

Yep, we have a couple in our area that play Worlds, 6-7 Regionals, multiple USKG local tours (in our area anyway there are 4 local tours you can play within 2-2.5 hours), IMG Qualifiers, IMG Worlds, FCG Qualifiers, FCG National, FCG Worlds, JGANC tour, swing coach, short game coach, and renting a cart for every tournament. Let's not even include any course memberships or practice rounds they may play. All said and done, a couple of them are spending no less than $25K/year and this is at age 7.

Having said all of that, they are winning (or placing well) so I guess there is a return. As others of said though, it probably doesn't matter anyway. I try not to let it bother me, but I'm human. If I had unlimited funds, I'd probably do the same thing. For now, we just have to take our own golf journey which starts with very limited tournaments next year (two total) and lots of simply playing as many different courses as possible for $5 or less per round (Youth on Course).

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

Is it FL, CA, AZ, TX?

This is interesting

I disagree.. the NJ/MET section might have numbers at the local level but the level of competition is not close to FL/TX/CA.

The confluence of good coaching, facilities, and competitive local tournaments are the factor IMO.

We play in NJ/Tri State so have a pretty good idea on the level of competition at the US Kids level..

You can’t compare coaching and facilities with tristate. Tristate has the best in those two categories if you seek it. Agree that level of competition will be less but already stated that it’s below CA, FL and TX.

Is it FL, CA, AZ, TX?

This is interesting

You can't compare coaching and facilities with tristate. Tristate has the best in those two categories if you seek it. Agree that level of competition will be less but already stated that it's below CA, FL and TX.

I am really curious to know why you think Tristate has the best...in terms of coaching and facilities. I am not being confrontational but am genuinely looking for what I would consider "world class coaching ". Who and what you consider the "Best" in the Tri State?

You can't compare coaching and facilities with tristate. Tristate has the best in those two categories if you seek it. Agree that level of competition will be less but already stated that it's below CA, FL and TX.

I am really curious to know why you think Tristate has the best...in terms of coaching and facilities. I am not being confrontational but am genuinely looking for what I would consider "world class coaching ". Who and what you consider the "Best" in the Tri State?

The Northeast probably has the highest concentration of the best courses in the world, and instruction can be as good as anywhere, if you are willing to pay up. I would guess the number of top instructors per golfer is probably very similar to other regions in the US.

The Northeast probably has the highest concentration of the best courses in the world, and instruction can be as good as anywhere, if you are willing to pay up. I would guess the number of top instructors per golfer is probably very similar to other regions in the US.

I dont know the number of top instructors per golfer.. but according to the 2017-18 Golf Digest rankings, NJ has 17 Pros ranked as the Best Teachers with 2 in the top 50. That number is quite similar to Ohio, Michigan, Maryland, PA, Virginia, Georgia etc.

While Florida, California, and Texas have about 4050 teachers ranked.. so 3x.

First of all have you ever heard of anyone say, "I'm going to retire in the Tri State area to play golf"? I think that tells you more than anything. Playable days in the NE are what 250? Playable days in California are probably around 360.

Golf Digest Top Instructors:

Tri State Area: 58 Top Instructors / 5 top 50

FL / TX / CA: 143 Top Instructors / 26 of the top 50

Tri State Top 50: (apparently you need to be named Mike)

Mike Adams (2), Hamilton Farm G.C., Gladstone

Mike Bennett (36), Stack & Tilt Academy, Mount Holly

Michael Breed (13), Michael Breed Golf Academy at Trump G. Links at Ferry Point, New York City

Michael Hebron (23), Smithtown Landing G. Cse.

Michael Jacobs (32), X Golf School, Manorville

FL / TX / CA Top 50:

Chuck Cook (3), Chuck Cook Golf Academy, Austin

Cameron McCormick (5), Altus Performance at Trinity Forest G.C., Dallas

Hank Haney (8), Hank Haney Golf, Lewisville

Jim Hardy (9), Plane Truth Golf, Houston

Chris Como (17), Gleneagles C.C., Plano

Randy Smith (31), Royal Oaks C.C., Dallas

Dave Pelz (33), Dave Pelz Scoring Game Schools, Austin

Jim McLean (4), Jim McLean Golf School at The Biltmore, Coral Gables

Mike Bender (6), Mike Bender Golf Academy at Magnolia Plantation G.C., Lake Mary

David Leadbetter (7), David Leadbetter Golf Academy At Championsgate, Orlando

Sean Foley (10), Foley Performance Academy at Eaglesdream, Lake Mary

Martin Hall (11), Ibis G. & C.C., West Palm Beach

Claude Harmon III (12), Butch Harmon Floridian, Palm City

Todd Anderson (T-14), PGA Tour's Performance Center at TPC Sawgrass, Ponte Vedra Beach

Bob Toski (18), Toski-Battersby Golf Learning Center, Coconut Creek

Gary Gilchrist (21), Gary Gilchrist Golf Academy At Mission Inn Resort & C., Howey-In-The-Hills

Andy Plummer (35), Turnberry Isle Miami, Aventura

Dr. Jim Suttie (35), The Golf Academy at Twineagles, Naples

Jimmy Ballard (38), Ballard Swing, Connection at Ocean Reef C., Key Largo

Rick Smith (45), Rick Smith Academy at Trump National Doral

Cheryl Anderson (T-46), Mike Bender Golf Academy, Lake Mary

Craig Shankland (T-46), LPGA International, Daytona Beach

Mac O'Grady (20), Mac O'Grady Golf School, Palm Springs

Bill Harmon (22), Bill Harmon Performance Center, Toscana C.C., Indian Wells

Dave Stockton (28), Stockton Golf, Redlands

Dave Phillips (37), TPI, Oceanside

Leezer -- I missed this post, but honestly I don't get it, are you agreeing with the concept that TriState has plenty of coaching and facilities?

There is a reason that most top Junior and professional golfers come from FL, TX, and CA... and I dont think it is the weather, cause you get some really good golfers from UK etc.

First of all have you ever heard of anyone say, "I'm going to retire in the Tri State area to play golf"? I think that tells you more than anything. Playable days in the NE are what 250? Playable days in California are probably around 360.

Michael Breed (13), Michael Breed Golf Academy at Trump G. Links at Ferry Point, New York City

FL / TX / CA Top 50:

Mike Bender (6), Mike Bender Golf Academy at Magnolia Plantation G.C., Lake Mary

Todd Anderson (T-14), PGA Tour's Performance Center at TPC Sawgrass, Ponte Vedra Beach

Gary Gilchrist (21), Gary Gilchrist Golf Academy At Mission Inn Resort & C., Howey-In-The-Hills

Leezer -- I missed this post, but honestly I don't get it, are you agreeing with the concept that TriState has plenty of coaching and facilities?

There is a reason that most top Junior and professional golfers come from FL, TX, and CA... and I dont think it is the weather, cause you get some really good golfers from UK etc.

I think the weather in the UK is probably better than the Northeast US for golf, as you can arguably play year round (typical winter high temps in the mid 40s vs mid 30s)

I think the major impediments to golf in the Northeast is high price, low availability (not as many courses per capita, longer travel times to get there in urban areas) and short season (8 months max).

FL / TX / CA Top 50:

He is agreeing with you.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

A local guy in the area who I heard about and then researched a lot. We even met up last week for a bit, just to see if it even makes sense to go through a fitting. Fortunately he has a lot of shaft options and is will to cut and make clubs just for a fitting.

It is a full bag fitting over a couple of sessions, thus we are start this week. I assume we get done over 2-3 weeks and then some more for assembly and building the set.

I am hoping his woods and driver is only both changing the shaft length and flex. He has Rogue with Recoil shaft (senior flex) that yours truly assembled.

The irons are different story.. still plays with US Kids 57 but should probably be in 63s.

FL / TX / CA Top 50:

Except the number of tristate coaches on that list are all within 60 miles of the city, more or less. Can’t compare against three entire states. And you can’t even compare when it comes to the number of top golf courses/facilities if you have the means. Again, I didn’t say tristate was better than the three states mentioned for golf; I said you can’t chalk it to instruction and facilities.

Also - instruction/facilities are pretty irrelevant; it’s not like most people will pay for “top” rated instructors or belong to the top country clubs. The real reason why more pros/ junior golfers come out of FL, TX and CA is bc a greater number of parents/children are willing to go all in on golf - even if that means huge sacrifices, including academics. Not just being a 4.0 student at some small obscure town, but really being able to have the same academic foundation to go to a top college and succeed at such institution (you just wouldn’t have the time to practice golf as much as it takes to be a top junior and study). Forget all the other social sacrifices. Because you have more “all in” players, you have much better competition locally, which I do believe is a key ingredient to becoming an elite junior golfer. The reality is that you have a better chance of making millions in finance than becoming a professional athlete. If you were to expend similar hours on academics as some of these parents do in golf, you would have an easier road to a top university, followed by a big-bank job, followed by a private equity gig.

Also - instruction/facilities are pretty irrelevant; it’s not like most people will pay for “top” rated instructors or belong to the top country clubs. The real reason why more pros/ junior golfers come out of FL, TX and CA is bc a greater number of parents/children are willing to go all in on golf - even if that means huge sacrifices, including academics. Not just being a 4.0 student at some small obscure town, but really being able to have the same academic foundation to go to a top college and succeed at such institution (you just wouldn’t have the time to practice golf as much as it takes to be a top junior and study). Forget all the other social sacrifices. Because you have more “all in” players, you have much better competition locally, which I do believe is a key ingredient to becoming an elite junior golfer. The reality is that you have a better chance of making millions in finance than becoming a professional athlete. If you were to expend similar hours on academics as some of these parents do in golf, you would have an easier road to a top university, followed by a big-bank job, followed by a private equity gig.

I disagree with the theory of 'all-in' parents in TX/FL/CA being the driver for more top golfers coming from these states, in comparison to the Tri-State area.

Set parenting aside for a moment. Being able to play golf 12 months per year...every year...is likely a bigger contributor.

I disagree with the theory of 'all-in' parents in TX/FL/CA being the driver for more top golfers coming from these states, in comparison to the Tri-State area.

Set parenting aside for a moment. Being able to play golf 12 months per year...every year...is likely a bigger contributor.

We are kind of saying the same thing. Whether it’s playing year-round golf or going all in, where you’re from doesn’t necessarily dictate how much golf you can get during a year. You can travel and there are indoor practice facilities everywhere. Didn’t the recent junior am champion come from MA? I know a kid from CT that ha finished top 5 at worlds every year since he was 6. It’s the drive of parents and/or kids to go all in.

Southern California, Florida then Texas.

Northern California is really good too. Our area is really producing really strong golfers the past few years

Looking at winners from Asian Tour, European Tour, PGA Tour, Canadian, Latin American Tours, there are a number that come within the greater Bay Area and Sacramento areas. If you want to include Fresno, then Bryson DeChambeau gets lumped in there too. :)