Where would you retire to golf?

If you (or anyone else) is interested in the exclusive, private golf communities in the Hilton Head / Bluffton area, here is a list along with their HOA/Golf fees.

On Island: Long Cove (Pete Dye) 12K per year.

Wexford (Arnold Palmer) 17K per year

Bluffton: Moss Creek (2 Fazio designs) 5500.00 HOA Plus additional 1000.00 for golf

Colleton River (Nicklaus Signature + Pete Dye) 18.7K per year

Belfair (2 Fazio designs) 15.5K per year

Berkeley Hall (2 Fazio designs) 18.2K per year)

Hampton Hall (Pete Dye) 4K per year HOA + additional 5K per year for golf (plus initiation fee & Trail fee if you use your own cart).

Some of these neighborhoods also have transfer fees when you purchase a home there. I think Hampton Hall is the lowest at 6K and many of the others are in the 20K range, although Moss Creek builds that fee into the price of your home.

ALL of these neighborhoods are very nice and all of their courses are extremely well taken care of. I've owned property in 3 of them over the years and couldn't complain about any of them. They also have a terrific reciprocal program during the summer months that allows you to play at any of these courses (plus other courses in the area) for a very reasonable fee.

Plenty of time (years) to change our collective mind but Bluffton, SC has us interested. My better half isn't a fan of the desert and we aren't sold on Florida and all the people so the Low Country may be just right with lots of golf, tennis, fishing, waterways, and a less crowded scene.

If you are looking for "less crowded", then don't count on Bluffton anymore. 15-20 years ago maybe. It used to be 1 square mile and now it is over 50 square miles and home prices as well as the cost of living going up. Driving around Bluffton and HHI is a mess today. There are accidents almost daily on 278 which backs traffic up for miles.

I still enjoy it here (I've been here full time for over 15 years now) but the area has lost it's charm. We're starting to look a little farther south in the Pontre Vedra area. Great golf there and you have Amelia Island, Jacksonville, St. Augustine close by as well as Sea Island.

278 is a disaster. Not sure who designs the roads down there, but they made a mess of it. "I have an idea. Lets have absolutely no lighting and just for kicks lets direct all the left turns directly into oncoming traffic!!"

Thanks Hacker Dave. I actually forgot to mention the Cliffs, I have been peeking there. Its a very interesting concept, although prices seem to be significantly higher in those developments than outside of those developments. While I would expect higher prices for being in the resort, the prices may be a bit too out of whack....Anyone have any experience with the Cliffs, I think I like the Keowee area better.

The cliff courses are very nice. Not a member but have played most of them. Keowee is a great lake to live on. Its controlled by Duke energy so its always full pool. Seneca is the closest town. Greenville is not to far away. Keowee sits at the foothills of the mountains. We get all four seasons over here. You can also get a lot of bang for buck money wise as well. You can look at other developments in the area other than the cliffs if that out of your league

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 38, just moved back to the states after being an expat for 8.5 years and starting doing a month on and month off rotation work schedule...... we moved to Scottsdale and it has been on the of the best decisions we have ever made. We moved in to the house in August and, yes, it is hot as HE#@#$ in the summer but the mornings are tolerable. I think we will retire here.

I'm 38, just moved back to the states after being an expat for 8.5 years and starting doing a month on and month off rotation work schedule...... we moved to Scottsdale and it has been on the of the best decisions we have ever made. We moved in to the house in August and, yes, it is hot as HE#@#$ in the summer but the mornings are tolerable. I think we will retire here.

Sounds like Oil and Gas to me in the North Sea.....?

I'm here in KSA and doing have rotations so here full time with basically 5 weeks of vacation a year. I'm sure AZ is heaven compared to the winter weather in the UK. Maybe you go back to the UK in June-Sept. to get out of the heat.

Is it possible to retire to a higher elevation in Arizona to avoid a little of the valley summer heat? Being from the Northeast a little seasonal change would be nice. BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Is it possible to retire to a higher elevation in Arizona to avoid a little of the valley summer heat?

Lots of folks with money who live in Scottsdale/Phoenix have a summer place up in Flagstaff. It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive and you go from sea level to 7000 ft. of elevation. Not uncommon for the temps to be over 105 in Scottsdale and a perfect 80 degrees in Flagstaff!

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Is it possible to retire to a higher elevation in Arizona to avoid a little of the valley summer heat?

Lots of folks with money who live in Scottsdale/Phoenix have a summer place up in Flagstaff. It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive and you go from sea level to 7000 ft. of elevation. Not uncommon for the temps to be over 105 in Scottsdale and a perfect 80 degrees in Flagstaff!

Or Prescott (a little warmer). Flagstaff has gotten very expensive. I was there 15 years ago on and off visiting friends for a few years. Really enjoyed the vibe there as it is different with hippies. They built a house at that time around 2004 for around 399k and worth around 800k-1million now. He was a FB coach at NAU and now coaches at U of Colorado, but I think they still kept the house and rent it.

If you were going to be a seven-month snowbird and enjoyed golf, tennis, biking, boating/fishing, kayaking, and a good restaurant scene would you pick the greater Charleston area or HHI/Bluffton?

Golf would be public as the numbers likely wouldn't make sense for an upscale private if there just seven months. Assume one would buy some type of second home at either place.

Does anyone consider florida communities like frenchman creek ?

Palm Beach has average 86 days of precipitation a year vs less than 25 in Scottsdale and 10 in Palm Springs. When I moved to minnesota 10 years ago I thought my future was Florida but now I hate precipitation so much (snow/rain) that I do no€™t want to see anything holding me home anymore.

Of course if you only go Florida for winter the weather is amazing. I usually go every March.

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

I just moved from NJ to Jupiter FL. Frenchman's is very close to me along with many other great choices. There are many options but my criteria is pretty particular for joining a club. I've joined the semi-private club (Abacoa) in the community I'm renting and so far so good. I need to get a better feel down here before making the big commitment to buy a place & join somewhere more permanent.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I'm here in KSA and doing have rotations so here full time with basically 5 weeks of vacation a year. I'm sure AZ is heaven compared to the winter weather in the UK. Maybe you go back to the UK in June-Sept. to get out of the heat.

Oil and Gas in Kazakhstan. I will certainly go back to the UK to play lots of golf when I retire and, hopefully, many times before that. I like Scotland, am on the waiting list for the Links Ticket at St Andrews, and am a member at The New Club but I actually like courses in the Surrey/Berkshire area outside of London. Sunningdale, Berkshire, St. Georges Hill, etc. are some of my favorite courses ever played.

How is KSA?

Oil and Gas in Kazakhstan. I will certainly go back to the UK to play lots of golf when I retire and, hopefully, many times before that. I like Scotland, am on the waiting list for the Links Ticket at St Andrews, and am a member at The New Club but I actually like courses in the Surrey/Berkshire area outside of London. Sunningdale, Berkshire, St. Georges Hill, etc. are some of my favorite courses ever played.

How is KSA?

Sucks for golf, but close to many places that are so far from the USA so not all bad at all.

Have a friend who lives in Abu Dhabi and works 1 month rotations in the Caspian Sea as a petroleum engineer.

Palm Beach has average 86 days of precipitation a year vs less than 25 in Scottsdale and 10 in Palm Springs. When I moved to minnesota 10 years ago I thought my future was Florida but now I hate precipitation so much (snow/rain) that I do no€™t want to see anything holding me home anymore.

Of course if you only go Florida for winter the weather is amazing. I usually go every March.

What you have to remember about South Florida is that while there are quite a few days of rain the typical SoFla day is replete with "pop up" thunderstorms during the Summer.

They pop up out of nowhere and before you know it they're gone. They dump an inch of rain and either move on or simply disappear. Often you will see "dark as night" clouds a few miles away from you and 10 minutes later they're gone.

And given the sandy base of the soil, you can take shelter for a 10 minute heavy rain event and get right back on the course.

This past Summer I'd say there were fewer than 5 "rainy days", i.e. 4 or more hours of clouds and steady to intermediate rain.

I just moved from NJ to Jupiter FL. Frenchman's is very close to me along with many other great choices. There are many options but my criteria is pretty particular for joining a club. I've joined the semi-private club (Abacoa) in the community I'm renting and so far so good. I need to get a better feel down here before making the big commitment to buy a place & join somewhere more permanent.

Welcome.

I've been to Abacoa but only for a couple of demo days. Haven't played the course but I understand it's pretty good !!!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Whatever one put in the retirement pot, put in some more and keep filling it up.

It'll never be enough. Even for a modest level of life style near the metropolitan area, where is the location of all the better medical care.

Anywhere can be a good retirement place to hang out where friends are and decent medical care is close by. Fabulous golf courses ? It's good to have that option, although one's demand might have lower expectation with the time goes by.

Gators or Snakes? Ill take the Gators in Florida. Although in the next 30 years before it actually happens, I will most likely change my mind

I'm here in South Florida for about 10 years.

Only once saw a gator on a golf course,,,,,,,, and that was at Arcadian Shores,,,,,,,, in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. :)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Gators or Snakes? Ill take the Gators in Florida. Although in the next 30 years before it actually happens, I will most likely change my mind

I'm here in South Florida for about 10 years.

Only once saw a gator on a golf course,,,,,,,, and that was at Arcadian Shores,,,,,,,, in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. :)

they're all being eating by the Burmese Python

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Thinking global... A few different options.

https://internationalliving.com/5-great-places-for-a-golfing-retirement/

https://www.liveandinvestoverseas.com/retirement-living/best-places-to-retire-overseas-to-play-golf/

Currently living in Australia and it is not a bad country to retire and play golf as well. Malaysia and Thailand are great as well!

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

If you were going to be a seven-month snowbird and enjoyed golf, tennis, biking, boating/fishing, kayaking, and a good restaurant scene would you pick the greater Charleston area or HHI/Bluffton?

Golf would be public as the numbers likely wouldn't make sense for an upscale private if there just seven months. Assume one would buy some type of second home at either place.

Charleston is a beautiful, scenic, historic town. I'm in HHI/Bluffton and we go up there at least a couple times a year. Decent golf, but nothing like the selection in HHI/Bluffton.

It can also get chilly in the winters, which you may not want if you are going to be a "snowbird". IMO, there is better golf (and more options), more to do, and better weather in HHI/Bluffton but Charleston is a great town.

I just found out a few days ago, a former frequent playing partner of mine from 20 years ago has retired to Spain. He insists the cost of living is one-tenth what it was for him in the Raleigh/Durham area, the golf is amazing, weather is incredible and the culture is off the charts. He also says the locals are very welcoming and friendly. Evidently, the area where he lives has a fairly high population of expats from the US, England and Australia. So, English is commonly being spoken almost everywhere.

Interesting choice and not one that would have immediately come to mind for me. I would assume one would need to be somewhat financially secure before going given their economy in recent years but I don't know that for certain. I will chat with him more soon. I'm intrigued.

I just found out a few days ago, a former frequent playing partner of mine from 20 years ago has retired to Spain. He insists the cost of living is one-tenth what it was for him in the Raleigh/Durham area, the golf is amazing, weather is incredible and the culture is off the charts. He also says the locals are very welcoming and friendly. Evidently, the area where he lives has a fairly high population of expats from the US, England and Australia. So, English is commonly being spoken almost everywhere.

Interesting choice and not one that would have immediately come to mind for me. I would assume one would need to be somewhat financially secure before going given their economy in recent years but I don't know that for certain. I will chat with him more soon. I'm intrigued.

Portugal too. Great golf courses and dirt cheep cost of living.

My choices-

1. Full-time travel for 3 years (I have a camper)

2. Destin, FL

3. Ft Myers, FL

4. Eastern NC

5. Eastern SC- I used to have a condo in Myrtle Beach. Sold it and not sorry that I did.

I selected eastern NC. About halfway between Pinehurst and Myrtle Beach. I am a member of a local country club that I can walk. It's about 6500 from back tees with champions bermuda greens and is a Donald Ross clone course. Walking was a big factor. I hate to ride carts. Decided against full-time travel and if we ever decide to take an extended trip with the trailer, we can do it. A pretty good selection of golf courses within a 2 hour drive. I think my routine when the weather warms is 2-3 rounds at my home course and a travel round so golf 3-4 times per week.

I liked FL but was raised in the midatlantic so I like the 4 seasons of NC.

Curious as to your "don't regret it" comment about the condo. Is that a Myrtle Beach/golf comment, or just a general "having a second property is a pain"?