2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

GC asks "Is Jordan Spieth done?"

Jordan Speeth

He could have won the Masters last year, except he hit a terrible tee shot on 18. Which speaks to the fact that he hits some terrible tee shots for a major champion.

Let's say that the practice area at Royal Birkdale was out of bounds (which it most certainly will be the next time that Birkdale holds the tournament). If he can't take the drop over in the practice area, and has to play from 2 club lengths, or go back and re-tee, I don't think he wins - and Kuchar doesn't lose momentum.

He may be a good iron player, but his driving is suspect; hence my low expectation of more majors.

What if Jack ate a bad hot dog before the final round in '86 and had to WD?

Oh, that would be a silly thing to even discuss.

You picked the wrong example. Jack was a much better athlete than Jordan, and a much better driver of the ball.

WTF? That has nothing to do with anything. You're like that guy at the beginning of "Pale Rider" - "You aren't going to town again are you?"

Now you are saying if you assume OB into some tournament where it never existed and that Jack never played in but if he had he wouldn't have hit into the not real OB at that particular time because your hypotheticals are making allowances for players' strengths and weaknesses you are making more sense? LOL. They are still useless hypotheticals. The tournaments happened, the results are what they are.

Oh, that pond was a little bigger then Tiger would have been in the water on 16, goodbye Tour Championship. Oh, Freddie doesn't get lucky with the grass on 12 he might not have won The Masters. Just more of the same obvious silliness.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until he cuts the “we” stuff out, I don’t think he becomes a top 10 player in the world again. I get wanting to include your caddie, coaches, support system in your success, but come on. Professional golf is not team golf, time to be your own man when in between the ropes...that being said, I hope he figures it out

I thought he stopped doing the “we” thing??

That is a clickbait GC topic. You can't do what JS has done out of a fluke.

Yes, yes you can. Happens in every sport, every walk of life. Guys come on hot at the right time and make it big. Then the competition figures you out or rises to your challenge or you flat flame out. It takes something extremely special to stay on top and dominate any sport or industry.

None of this is to say he is done, but it's hard to make say someone is done if that someone doesn't come out and say they are done.

Flukes don’t last 3-4 years. He contended in the masters 2014. ( pushes bubba hard). Win in 15. Wins us open in 15. Nearly wins the pga and open too. Then has the masters sewn up in 16. ( we all know that story ). Fights back from that and wins the open in 17 after a similar ordeal. Then is 1 shot from masters single round record in an attempt to run Patrick reed down in the 18 masters. Falls just short. Then is in final group is the 18 open and is still in it through 12-13 holes. Fluke ? No. Flukes don’t last 4 years. He was 1 tee ball ( Augusta ) and 3 putts and a 3 wood ( open ) from winning 2 majors this year with his C game. Flukes don’t do things like that.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Until he cuts the “we” stuff out, I don’t think he becomes a top 10 player in the world again. I get wanting to include your caddie, coaches, support system in your success, but come on. Professional golf is not team golf, time to be your own man when in between the ropes...that being said, I hope he figures it out

It amazes me how many folks cling to that phrase. That and his outward conversation with himself. Some folks have a lot of self talk. Some apparently just dead air.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Not saying he is a fluke a la Mike Weir but he had a good sprint but will be finish the marathon.

I don't think Weir was a fluke. His career was derailed by a shoulder injury and some resulting swing changes that went in the wrong direction. Can happen to anybody, but not a fluke.

Spieth is partly a victim of his own success. Set the bar really high early on and then you're expected to live up to that same standard for years to come. If at any time you dip below that standard then you get scrutinized. He's 25. If he hasn't won another major by the time he's 30 we can revisit this whole "is he done" question.

He could have won the Masters last year, except he hit a terrible tee shot on 18. Which speaks to the fact that he hits some terrible tee shots for a major champion.

Let's say that the practice area at Royal Birkdale was out of bounds (which it most certainly will be the next time that Birkdale holds the tournament). If he can't take the drop over in the practice area, and has to play from 2 club lengths, or go back and re-tee, I don't think he wins - and Kuchar doesn't lose momentum.

He may be a good iron player, but his driving is suspect; hence my low expectation of more majors.

You picked the wrong example. Jack was a much better athlete than Jordan, and a much better driver of the ball.

WTF? That has nothing to do with anything. You're like that guy at the beginning of "Pale Rider" - "You aren't going to town again are you?"

Now you are saying if you assume OB into some tournament where it never existed and that Jack never played in but if he had he wouldn't have hit into the not real OB at that particular time because your hypotheticals are making allowances for players' strengths and weaknesses you are making more sense? LOL. They are still useless hypotheticals. The tournaments happened, the results are what they are.

Oh, that pond was a little bigger then Tiger would have been in the water on 16, goodbye Tour Championship. Oh, Freddie doesn't get lucky with the grass on 12 he might not have won The Masters. Just more of the same obvious silliness.

Come on, you're smarter than that. I was using that incident to point out that Jordan is not a particularly good driver of the ball. If you had asked Jack's contemporaries who was the longest, straightest driver, most would have said Jack. He would certainly have been in the top 3 of his contemporaries - the guys who he had to play in the majors. If you were to ask Jordan's contemporaries, I doubt Jordan would be in the top 20.

This is important, because long straight driving is one of the important factors for winning majors.

Edit: last year Jordan was T50 in strokes gained off the tee.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Spieth will win more Majors.

He started last season recovering from mono and never did get his putting stroke back. He also had the distraction of getting married. Despite not having his A game he still was in contention at Augusta and wouldn't be surprised to see him in the mix in at least one major this season. Obviously he won't win majors at the 2015 clip but he's only 25 and should win a few more over the span of his career. The kid obviously thrives in that type of pressure environment.

We were having a similar conversation about Koepka a few years ago albeit BK hadn't won any majors yet at that point. When you have that kind of talent it will eventually shine.

Come on, you're smarter than that. I was using that incident to point out that Jordan is not a particularly good driver of the ball. If you had asked Jack's contemporaries who was the longest, straightest driver, most would have said Jack. He would certainly have been in the top 3 of his contemporaries - the guys who he had to play in the majors. If you were to ask Jordan's contemporaries, I doubt Jordan would be in the top 20.

This is important, because long straight driving is one of the important factors for winning majors.

I just disagree. If it were universally true DJ would have 10 majors by now and Rory 15. Tiger didn’t even drive it straight for most of his. Nor did Phil.

Jordan’s major winning formula starts with his mental game. He has double the problem solving , and mental comeback ability than any 2 long drivers you can name. ( outside jack ). He’s closest to tiger and jack in that regard than any player we have now. Listen to him talk. There is no quit. I won’t go into who has quit. But there are examples out there if you search.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I just disagree. If it were universally true DJ would have 10 majors by now and Rory 15. Tiger didn't even drive it straight for most of his. Nor did Phil.

Jordan's major winning formula starts with his mental game. He has double the problem solving , and mental comeback ability than any 2 long drivers you can name. ( outside jack ). He's closest to tiger and jack in that regard than any player we have now. Listen to him talk. There is no quit. I won't go into who has quit. But there are examples out there if you search.

I'll be happy to revisit this thread in 10 years - if I'm still around.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Me too.

Don’t take it personally friend. I’m not. We just disagree. Hope we can revisit it in 20.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Me too.

Don't take it personally friend. I'm not. We just disagree. Hope we can revisit it in 20.

Ha ha, never personal. But I don't like to lose!

In 20 I will be 85. If I still care about golf, that will be a blessing. IF I can take a swat at the ball, a miracle.

LOL, so are you!

I think we are somehow talking at cross purposes so I'll retreat!

I guess this is just human nature today, everyone is in a hurry to write the ending of the book based upon the last page they read.

Jordan Spieth has played and won at the highest levels of competition his entire life and will continue to do so. Will he have other years where he wins multiple majors in the same years? Maybe, maybe not. But subject to the vagaries of form that can come and go, I fully expect him to be a force to be reckoned with in majors well into his 40's. Everyone forgets, Tom Watson almost won the British Open in his 60's playing against guys who hit it 50+ yards past him. Certain courses may not fit his game (i.e. the longest of the long) but otherwise he will win his share. If I had to guess, I'd say he wins at least 5 more. Considering players like Phil and Seve Ballesteros only have 5 total, I'd say that qualifies as the opposite of "Done".

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

Spieth to win at Augusta and Portrush next year. Thread will be revisited.

The way Jordan plays Augusta it seems to me that he could catch fire at any point from this year and for the next 30 years. Don't see how it could surprise anyone if he won several more green jackets.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Spieth to win at Augusta and Portrush next year. Thread will be revisited.

The way Jordan plays Augusta it seems to me that he could catch fire at any point from this year and for the next 30 years. Don't see how it could surprise anyone if he won several more green jackets.

His record at Augusta is crazy good. And I meant to say Pebble not Portrush. Edited. Also it’s 2019 already. I forgot.

I say roughly 5-7 more majors easy

So at minimum he tacks Phil's career onto his?

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Jordan has won more majors than Greg Norman.

Your move.

I say roughly 5-7 more majors easy

So at minimum he tacks Phil's career onto his?

I think so Jordan doesn’t have a full strength tiger to take half his.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Long straight driving is one of the important factors unless you're Tiger Woods, Walter Hagen, Arnold Palmer, Tom Watson, Seve Ballesteros or Phil Mickelson.

If you are long enough off the tee, creative, keep a cool head when things go wrong and have a great short game, missing the fairway too much can be overcome at the top levels.