2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Masters Tickets

rlconklin

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally a decent conversation about my annual headscratcher....

Been trying the lottery for over a decade now with a friend and no luck whatsoever.

Actually we've been thinking that non-US entries are removed prior to selection....

Anyway, back on topic: cracking down on the scalpers has my full support. Buying tickets with the intent of not going and making money off fans is a big no-no. Albeit one which has a long history in the US, granted the rates have increased to a point which borders on ridiculous. Obviously there are people who can fork out the money no problem, I'm not one of them.

In Europe there too is lots of black market activity going on, but there are things being done to combat that.

You can say what you want about FIFA but their ticketing works. Main lever: personalized tickets.

If AN would really like to get rid of scalping and resale of tickets in general they'd open the whole tickets for general sale and personalize them so that you only can get through the gates if the name on your ID matches the one on the ticket.

If you bought tickets and one or more pf your group can't make it up to a certain point in time before the tournament AN will refund your money and hand the tickets off to the next guy in line. And there will be plenty of people in line...

This would also eliminate the second most troubling aspect of Masters ticketing: the fact that 95% (that's a guess on my part, could be 99% for all I know) of the tickets never reach the general public because every year the same people get tickets without doing anything for it, while the majority of prospective attendees have to rely on the lottery to collect the leftovers...

I live in northeastern Canada. I entered the lottery for the first time for the 2014 tournament and got selected for two Saturday round tickets. Got selected again in 2018 for two tickets for the Tuesday practice round.

You, sir, are no gentleman!

Congratulations.

I would highly recommend investing in Cash Lotto tickets on a regular basis!

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

Good topic

I am guessing the ticket distribution is 20% lottery tickets, 80% badges.If the event has 40,000 people. I am guessing we are talking 8% of overall tickets

traded on the secondary market (3k).

Is that a real problem for a major sporting event?

I just looked at the sales data from StubHub- since May- there have been 12 4 day badges resold on StubHub

Is that really a big deal?

2020 Masters will be Easter weekend. Want a deal, go Saturday & Sunday 2020.

If Augusta National was concerned with high prices on the secondary market, they should issue 10,000 more tickets. Take capacity up to 50,000. You would cut the secondary market pricing by 60%

Bucket list item checked! Finally won two tix for Saturday this year! My buddy is stoked! Flight, accomodations and rental car booked!

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

Good topic

I am guessing the ticket distribution is 20% lottery tickets, 80% badges.If the event has 40,000 people. I am guessing we are talking 8% of overall tickets

I just looked at the sales data from StubHub- since May- there have been 12 4 day badges resold on StubHub

If Augusta National was concerned with high prices on the secondary market, they should issue 10,000 more tickets. Take capacity up to 50,000. You would cut the secondary market pricing by 60%

I don't have any numbers to back this up, but my guess is that the percentage of people inside the gates who got in with second-hand tickets is far higher than 8%.

I don't think the number of 4-day badges sold is a good indication as those are so massively expensive on the secondary market. I think a better indication would be all those $500 practice round tickets that are changing hands.

Good topic

I don't have any numbers to back this up, but my guess is that the percentage of people inside the gates who got in with second-hand tickets is far higher than 8%.

I don't think the number of 4-day badges sold is a good indication as those are so massively expensive on the secondary market. I think a better indication would be all those $500 practice round tickets that are changing hands.

I've talked to a fair number of people in my two times there and the majority of badge holders I've spoken give them to friends or family to use for a given day(s). I think most of the secondary market are the single day tickets from the lottery.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I would highly recommend investing in Cash Lotto tickets on a regular basis!

My luck hasn't extended to those lotteries :not_i:

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Good topic

If you are saying:

my guess is that the percentage of people inside the gates who got in with second-hand tickets is far higher than 8%

A) the original patron isn't using them, I would agree

B) if you are saying the number is much higher that trade through the secondary market. I would disagree (and I look at ticketing data all day long)

Good topic

If you are saying:

my guess is that the percentage of people inside the gates who got in with second-hand tickets is far higher than 8%

B) if you are saying the number is much higher that trade through the secondary market. I would disagree (and I look at ticketing data all day long)

I am saying A. In other words, of all the patrons that are inside the gates on any given day, I am betting that more than 8% of them are not the actual badge holders or lottery winners. I couldn't wager a guess as to what that number might be, but it's got to be greater than 8%.

I could see Sunday being a possible exception to that as badge holders might be more inclined to attend that day ("rent out" their badge Monday through Saturday and make some nice coin but use it yourself on Sunday).

(With a screen name like "WashingtonRD, I'll trust your knowledge lol)

Good topic

If you are saying:

I am saying A. In other words, of all the patrons that are inside the gates on any given day, I am betting that more than 8% of them are not the actual badge holders or lottery winners. I couldn't wager a guess as to what that number might be, but it's got to be greater than 8%.

I could see Sunday being a possible exception to that as badge holders might be more inclined to attend that day ("rent out" their badge Monday through Saturday and make some nice coin but use it yourself on Sunday).

A) no brainer- way higher than 8%.

Good topic

If you are saying:

A) no brainer- way higher than 8%.

At regular tour events, there is a huge corporate presence. Sponsors everywhere and tickets are freely distributed among the employees of those companies.

Seeing as how the Masters has no signage or corporate presence, what sort of "freebie" tickets are being passed around? I know the Peter Millar brand is well represented in the merchandise store, so I'm guessing there's some ticket handouts to some Peter Millar employees. Possibly some Coca-Cola tickets as well(?)

I guess what I'm getting at is....... besides the lottery and the lifetime badge holders (and obviously the second hand market), how else are people getting in? Just curious.

At regular tour events, there is a huge corporate presence. Sponsors everywhere and tickets are freely distributed among the employees of those companies.

Seeing as how the Masters has no signage or corporate presence, what sort of "freebie" tickets are being passed around? I know the Peter Millar brand is well represented in the merchandise store, so I'm guessing there's some ticket handouts to some Peter Millar employees. Possibly some Coca-Cola tickets as well(?)

I guess what I'm getting at is....... besides the lottery and the lifetime badge holders (and obviously the second hand market), how else are people getting in? Just curious.

No on Coke, No on Peter Millar. I think the official sponsors are: Mercedes, Delta, UPS, Rolex, ATT.

One thing you are missing from your equation is Berckmans. As patrons died or tickets were pulled (for whatever reason) a lot of those tickets went to the lottery and Berckmans. If the number of daily passes remained the same. Berckmans probably took 2000 out of general grounds allocation.

Demand has and always will be great for The Masters. I don't think that has changed, what I think you have seen over the past 5 years is a decrease in supply.

No on Coke, No on Peter Millar. I think the official sponsors are: Mercedes, Delta, UPS, Rolex, ATT.

One thing you are missing from your equation is Berckmans. As patrons died or tickets were pulled (for whatever reason) a lot of those tickets went to the lottery and Berckmans. If the number of daily passes remained the same. Berckmans probably took 2000 out of general grounds allocation.

Demand has and always will be great for The Masters. I don't think that has changed, what I think you have seen over the past 5 years is a decrease in supply.

Trade IBM for Delta and you have got the five official sponsors. Traditionally the CEOs of IBM, AT&T, and Daimler AG (parent company of Mercedes-Benz) have all had memberships extended to them from ANGC, there was some debate a few years ago when Virginia Rometty (Rommety?) was named the new IBM CEO. That was 2012 I think and there was some talk that she’d be the first member, but I don’t think it was official until after Condoleeza Rice and Darla Moore were admitted to the ranks, even though she was a presence on the grounds entertaining during tournament week.

I would assume it is something similar for executives with UPS and Rolex although I can’t say for sure.

Does anyone have any experience trading tickets with the local resellers? I was fortunate enough to receive 4 Monday tickets by lottery. I was thinking of trying to go into Augusta on Sunday and try to make a deal to swap 2 of the Monday tickets for 2 for Tuesday. I'm sure that I will have to pay a premium upcharge. I was just curious if anyone had done something similar. This will be my first trip.

Does anyone have any experience trading tickets with the local resellers? I was fortunate enough to receive 4 Monday tickets by lottery. I was thinking of trying to go into Augusta on Sunday and try to make a deal to swap 2 of the Monday tickets for 2 for Tuesday. I'm sure that I will have to pay a premium upcharge. I was just curious if anyone had done something similar. This will be my first trip.

We found Butch in 2016 based on a suggestion here. Looks like he was still at it last year: http://www.morningread.com/features/08c3c15b-3815-49db-b477-6024fdf67d3a

Basically outside TBonz at the beginning of the legal distance. Of course, mind the new initiatives about scalping but have no doubt he will treat you right and he'll guarantee your tickets will get you in, and hope nobody that ends up with your other tickets does anything to get you in dutch with the powers that be, lol.