PGA Tour Live Replaced with NBC Gold?

bbr16

Very apprehensive about this offering. Not sure what you really get, but sure you don't get Master's coverage. Also they use the term "featured groups", does that mean I won't see complete coverage, as provided by the networks? I use my DVR, play golf during the televised round and watch later, and yes, fast forward through the commercials. I want to cut the cable, but can't find better service, but it's expensive to stay.

1. A high quality $25-$60 antenna gets you all the major networks in HD. There are companies making DVR boxes now for over the air broadcasts.

2. Streaming services offer the golf channel, and often local networks, and have a DVR feature.. Check Direct TV Now and Sling. All you need is good internet service. The package with the golf channel on Direct TV Now is $65 a month. Not sure about cost on Sling.

https://cdn.directv....e-packages.html

https://www.sling.com/channels

3. PGA Tour live is NOT complete coverage just like the networks. They feature two premier groups each day and coverage of a few key holes. It is an "extra" service for golf junkies, not really a replacement for network coverage.

Read this.

https://www.nbcsport...d/pga-tour-live

I experimented with cord cutting last year. I got a "free" Apple TV unit when I signed up for 3 months of DirectTV Now last spring. I also bought a $20 antenna off Amazon that works fine for local stations.

Only 2 issues for me.

1. Direct TV Now was still a little rough around the edges at the time. Just didn't feel it was quite ready technically yet. User Interface was sketchy and it would cut out periodically and the guide sometimes would disappear for no reason.

2. My local cable company is great. When I threatened to leave, WOW dropped my price to $132 a month for cable, internet and 2 HD DVR boxes if I did a year contract. I just decided to give them another year and wait to see what the price goes to next summer. If it jumps too much I'll definitely cut the cord. Internet is $45 and the DirectTV Now package is $65. For $110 I can get what I need without cable.

Thanks for the responses to my annual dilemma, cut the cord. Everything says to leave, but when I read the fine print for some of the services (Direct), the cost is only lower for the first 12 months. Streaming may be my best option, I have a Roku box and good internet service. What I get from "cable" outweighs the other options, great service, no hassles, etc. Will keep weighing a tough decision.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very apprehensive about this offering. Not sure what you really get, but sure you don't get Master's coverage. Also they use the term "featured groups", does that mean I won't see complete coverage, as provided by the networks? I use my DVR, play golf during the televised round and watch later, and yes, fast forward through the commercials. I want to cut the cable, but can't find better service, but it's expensive to stay.

1. A high quality $25-$60 antenna gets you all the major networks in HD. There are companies making DVR boxes now for over the air broadcasts.

2. Streaming services offer the golf channel, and often local networks, and have a DVR feature.. Check Direct TV Now and Sling. All you need is good internet service. The package with the golf channel on Direct TV Now is $65 a month. Not sure about cost on Sling.

https://cdn.directv....e-packages.html

https://www.sling.com/channels

3. PGA Tour live is NOT complete coverage just like the networks. They feature two premier groups each day and coverage of a few key holes. It is an "extra" service for golf junkies, not really a replacement for network coverage.

Read this.

https://www.nbcsport...d/pga-tour-live

I experimented with cord cutting last year. I got a "free" Apple TV unit when I signed up for 3 months of DirectTV Now last spring. I also bought a $20 antenna off Amazon that works fine for local stations.

Only 2 issues for me.

1. Direct TV Now was still a little rough around the edges at the time. Just didn't feel it was quite ready technically yet. User Interface was sketchy and it would cut out periodically and the guide sometimes would disappear for no reason.

2. My local cable company is great. When I threatened to leave, WOW dropped my price to $132 a month for cable, internet and 2 HD DVR boxes if I did a year contract. I just decided to give them another year and wait to see what the price goes to next summer. If it jumps too much I'll definitely cut the cord. Internet is $45 and the DirectTV Now package is $65. For $110 I can get what I need without cable.

Thanks for the responses to my annual dilemma, cut the cord. Everything says to leave, but when I read the fine print for some of the services (Direct), the cost is only lower for the first 12 months. Streaming may be my best option, I have a Roku box and good internet service. What I get from "cable" outweighs the other options, great service, no hassles, etc. Will keep weighing a tough decision.

Hulu with live tv is $40 a month. It has everything you’d need as a golf fan. Has cbs, nbc, golf channel, espn. Plus you get all of Hulu as well.

Any luck with people who already had a subscription? I was referred to Apple who referred me back to them. Tired of going in circles.

Once you purchase your new subscription through NBC Sports Gold, you'll need to download the NBC Sports Gold app. I hope they resolve their issues, the app has a 1.5 star rating...

Whats with the "Gold"?

That's very antiquated. It's like,

Deluxe

Premier

Limited

"I like the names they have for cars. Like, no baron has ever owned a LeBaron. Or the Ford LTD. "LTD." Limited. It's a "limited" edition...what did they make, fifty million of those? "Yes, it's 'limited' to the number we can sell."-

Jerry Seinfeld

14864235505_70e25a6f5c_b.jpg

Encouraged by the change as PGA Tour Live was not available on Roku.

I read on the FAQ that you can “link” a valid PGA Tour Live account to the new platform via the steps below. However, the app is no longer available to download again per step 2 . I have emailed support with the question and will provide an update if they give anything helpful.

Q: I purchased an annual membership via iTunes or Google Play, what do I need to do?

A: In order to make sure you get the access you’ve purchase, please link your account in the PGA TOUR LIVE app. If you haven’t linked your account follow the steps below:

i. Delete the PGA Tour LIVE app from your device

ii. Download the app again

iii. When prompted to purchase, select "restore" or "restore previous purchase"

iv. When prompted to create an account, do NOT skip! The skip option is only if you have already created an account.

v. Log into your PGA Tour LIVE account

This blows. I am stationed overseas and PGA Tour Live worked out here in Japan with no content restrictions. Now I cant watch golf because NBC doesnt allow its live content to be watched outside the US. VPN's have horrible speeds and the cable company out here is not very good.

In My Bag
TM Stealth 10.5* PX T1100 6.5 75g
TM Stealth 3W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g 

TM Stealth 5W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon Modus Hybrid shaft 95X

2021 TM P790 5-PW Modus TT DG Tour issue 100X
TM High Toe 50, 54 and 58

Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB-X Yellow
#insideTMAG 2013

This blows. I am stationed overseas and PGA Tour Live worked out here in Japan with no content restrictions. Now I cant watch golf because NBC doesnt allow its live content to be watched outside the US. VPN's have horrible speeds and the cable company out here is not very good.

Check out GolfTV which just launched. It may be available in Japan, as it’s not available here in the US.

https://www.golf.tv/

Check out GolfTV which just launched. It may be available in Japan, as it's not available here in the US.

bbr16. Will do!! Thanks for the info.

In My Bag
TM Stealth 10.5* PX T1100 6.5 75g
TM Stealth 3W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g 

TM Stealth 5W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon Modus Hybrid shaft 95X

2021 TM P790 5-PW Modus TT DG Tour issue 100X
TM High Toe 50, 54 and 58

Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB-X Yellow
#insideTMAG 2013

Check out GolfTV which just launched. It may be available in Japan, as it’s not available here in the US.

What? Is golf.tv not available in the US? They took over the PGA live app here in Europe.

This sucks

I have PGA tour live but paid for the year in May

will golf.tv show live coverage? or do I subscribe to the new NBCGOLD and use a VPN and just say bye bye to the money that would have gone to PGA Tour Live till May

Can anyone confirm if on the 17th golf.tv will be showing something even if just featured groups?

CC

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

I just tried to sign up for the Early Bird price but the page to purchase a subscription is apparently down. When I click "Buy Now" the screen dims (as if a new window will be popping up), but nothing else happens. This happened on multiple browsers.

That's a great start.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi BB-1W

I know even on golf.tv it says i'm on auto renew with no details of my payment method and no way to make changes ... their help article references a button I can push saying manage that is not there ...

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

I just tried to sign up for the Early Bird price but the page to purchase a subscription is apparently down. When I click "Buy Now" the screen dims (as if a new window will be popping up), but nothing else happens. This happened on multiple browsers.

That's a great start.

Glad it's not just me. Pretty terrible first impression.

I guess we'll be able to subscribe via Amazon Prime channels as an alternative option, I'm much more likely to do that if NBCS can't even make a functional sign-up website

EDIT: Got a reply back from their support -- didn't directly answer my question but should give peace of mind to the people who still have an active subscription carring over from mid-2018: "Thank you for contacting us. We apologize for the confusion. Your active PGA TOUR LIVE subscription has been transitioned over to NBC Sports Gold. You can now use your email address to log in and create a new password. All your account information is transferred over and you are automatically renewed at the early bird $49.99 price for the season once your previous subscription has concluded on April 20, 2019. There is no need to purchase PGA TOUR LIVE on the website."

For those in the US that have already signed up or had their accounts ported over, the site is now available with the schedule for this week and recaps of the tournaments last year:

https://www.nbcsport...r-live/schedule

Looks like the Desert Classic only has two days of coverage scheduled. However, looking at the schedule of all events on the main page, coverage of all 4 rounds starts with the Farmer's Insurance Open.

Anyone watching via Prime Video on their computer? If so when you resize your browser does the size of the video change? I'm watching via NBC Sports Gold and the video doesn't resize based on the browser size. It takes up more than half of my computer screen. I need to be able to do a little work :)

G425 LST 9
G425 LST 14.5
TS3 18*
S55 or i210
Glide 3.0 54* 58*
Ping PLD Anser D

Anyone watching via Prime Video on their computer? If so when you resize your browser does the size of the video change? I'm watching via NBC Sports Gold and the video doesn't resize based on the browser size. It takes up more than half of my computer screen. I need to be able to do a little work :)

Gah, this kills me. I just want a small window open on my work computer, but the inability to resize the video really kills that.

I tried to watch on Amazon Prime Video but can't figure out a way to enter my login credentials. It seems to only give me the option of signing up for the PGA package, but I've already done that through NBC. I can't imagine they'd make these services distinct.

The good news is that the stream seems to be better quality than PGA Tour Live. Seems like it's a sharper picture, and I haven't had any buffering issues yet.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Bettinardi BB-1W

Gah, this kills me. I just want a small window open on my work computer, but the inability to resize the video really kills that.

I tried to watch on Amazon Prime Video but can't figure out a way to enter my login credentials. It seems to only give me the option of signing up for the PGA package, but I've already done that through NBC. I can't imagine they'd make these services distinct.

The good news is that the stream seems to be better quality than PGA Tour Live. Seems like it's a sharper picture, and I haven't had any buffering issues yet.

I'm pretty sure NBC Sports Gold and Amazon Video are two different entities.

G425 LST 9
G425 LST 14.5
TS3 18*
S55 or i210
Glide 3.0 54* 58*
Ping PLD Anser D

May be cancelling my subscription. Really disappointed in the changes.

1. As noted, when watching in the browser, you can't resize the video to match the browser. That was something I loved to do with PGA Tour Live. I could have a small window while continuing to work. Takes too much screen on my 21" iMac
  2. On the iPad I could do PiP. It would play in a small window as well allowing me to do other things. Not the case anymore forcing me to watch. That's a show stopper.
  3. it's 2019, why are they using Flash??? No HTML5.

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

1. As noted, when watching in the browser, you can't resize the video to match the browser. That was something I loved to do with PGA Tour Live. I could have a small window while continuing to work. Takes too much screen on my 21" iMac
  2. On the iPad I could do PiP. It would play in a small window as well allowing me to do other things. Not the case anymore forcing me to watch. That's a show stopper.

Well I may have jumped the gun. Right now, you can stream on the iPad from Safari which will allow you to go PiP (hit the full screen button and then hit the home button). So that means there is an HTML5/non-flash site available.

I'll play around with the User Agent settings on Safari on my iMac to see if can get it to low the mobile site and maybe we will have more size options...

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

Well I may have jumped the gun. Right now, you can stream on the iPad from Safari which will allow you to go PiP (hit the full screen button and then hit the home button). So that means there is an HTML5/non-flash site available.

I'll play around with the User Agent settings on Safari on my iMac to see if can get it to low the mobile site and maybe we will have more size options...

Sure, it's possible, but why should you have to have to know how to do all of those things just to make it work the way you want? I dropped my subscription, in large part because of the fact that I had to do so much work to get it back to the experience that I wanted/had. Not worth the time and effort from me every time I want to use it.