Too excited/sick to sleep. How sick are you?

rxk9fan

It is 4:40am and I have been up 2 hours. Why.....because it is January and it is going to be 60 degrees here today and tomorrow AND I GET TO PLAY GOLF both days after playing on a simulator yesterday!

It is a sickness to be so ate up with this game that your mind simply can not get enough! How many others out there feel my pain?

I turned 60 years old last week and have played hundreds and hundreds of rounds of golf. I live on a golf course and know that I hit more balls on this practice range than any member. I work long hours at a job I love but it does not stop me from thinking about golf 7 days a week.

I am as anxious to play today as I was the first time I teed it up 45 years ago.

Does this game still do it for/to you? Do you put your head on your pillow at night and start thinking about clubs, your swing, the course? Do you wake up in the morning and login to golfwrx to get your fix? Just how sick are you my friend?

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here man, on the box at 11am here in Iowa, been up for an hour already, get to play Sunday also.

Like a 6 year old on Christmas morning.....

I m very, very sick.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

I know the feeling my man. Not to long ago i remember asking my wife "is it possible to be addicted to golf? bc i think i might actually have a problem". She responded with a laugh and said "dont worry about it, there are MUCH worse things people get addicted to". Im lucky shes super cool and i pretty much live with a club in my hand when at home. Who wouldve known a wedge is a pretty handy tool for picking up the kids toys?

I think if you're 60 years old and still excited by a game of golf, you're in a good place :)

It's when anything and everything is boring that you have a problem.

Well said Sir!!!!!!!

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I was okay until I started playing the course in my head at 10 pm. Then I was wide awake for some time, and had to take some medication to get to sleep. Nerves!

That was Paul Azingers trick, he would play the entire round in his head the night before. He picked that up from someone who, if I remember correctly, approached him and said, “I don’t know anything about golf but I can help you play better.”

Sounds very familiar (I'm almost 60 as well). Homepage at both home and when is WRX. Always thinking about golf, swing, clubs etc. First TV channel is golf. Sit down when I get home and watch the various youtubers. Practice my swing every night (that's not helping though unfortunately). A good addiction I guess. Golf is a great sport huh?!

I was okay until I started playing the course in my head at 10 pm. Then I was wide awake for some time, and had to take some medication to get to sleep. Nerves!

Other people count sheep on their pillow, unknown to my wife, for years I pictured a game of golf on my way to sleep.

Seldom did I make it to the back nine before I surrender to the Hypnos.

That was Paul Azingers trick, he would play the entire round in his head the night before. He picked that up from someone who, if I remember correctly, approached him and said, “I don’t know anything about golf but I can help you play better.”

I do this to help me fall asleep. I can still remember entirevrounds from years ago (only the good ones). It’s my spank bank for golf.

When I was in my mid-20s to early 30's going to the golf course got to be like going to the office. Nowadays, with kids and the etc., golf is so much rarer that the anticipation and excitement definitely keeps me up the night before.

It's so ridiculous. I'll go out and walk 18 on 3 and a half hours of sleep. Can't be helping my scores.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

When I was in my mid-20s to early 30's going to the golf course got to be like going to the office. Nowadays, with kids and the etc., golf is so much rarer that the anticipation and excitement definitely keeps me up the night before.

It's so ridiculous. I'll go out and walk 18 on 3 and a half hours of sleep. Can't be helping my scores.

Same here. I find myself getting tired by the end of the round because I didn't get enough sleep the night before.

I'm almost 68, have been playing for 54 years, but I don't think about golf anymore, much. I'm on WRX every day, but I'm on the computer anyway, right? I was pitching foam balls yesterday in the living room. Our golf league starts in 107 days, ho hum, I guess that's why I got even more some new golf balls and went ahead and put my mark on them. I had a dream the other night that I hit a drive over 400 yards. What I really like liked about game is was enjoying it, not stats so much. So, back to your question, am I too excited/sick to sleep? I guess I could give it another 54 years to be sure...

I'm on WRX everyday too. It's my golf fix you see because not only is it the off-season up here in the Great White North (which is still quite green BTW), but my season was scuttled by a long term back issue.

The way I see it is that the day I give up on GolfWRX is likely to be the day that I've given up on the game. There are lots of guys I know that play with a bad back. It's just finding a way that works and a level of play that you are willing to accept to stick with it. It certainly changes one's perspective.

I can remember being a bit like the OP and having sleepless nights in anticipation of a round where I would begin to play the round out in my head. I can also remember becoming bored with certain courses and certain playing partners. Now I look back on those memories and am thankful for having had the experiences.

They say there's a reason for everything. I just haven't been able to figure out what the reason is for this. In the meantime I try my best to remain hopeful for what the future may bring.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

It is 4:40am and I have been up 2 hours. Why.....because it is January and it is going to be 60 degrees here today and tomorrow AND I GET TO PLAY GOLF both days after playing on a simulator yesterday!

It is a sickness to be so ate up with this game that your mind simply can not get enough! How many others out there feel my pain?

I turned 60 years old last week and have played hundreds and hundreds of rounds of golf. I live on a golf course and know that I hit more balls on this practice range than any member. I work long hours at a job I love but it does not stop me from thinking about golf 7 days a week.

I am as anxious to play today as I was the first time I teed it up 45 years ago.

Does this game still do it for/to you? Do you put your head on your pillow at night and start thinking about clubs, your swing, the course? Do you wake up in the morning and login to golfwrx to get your fix? Just how sick are you my friend?

I have been playing golf for 30 years. The first few years, I could not sleep the night before my round. It's gotten better now.

TaylorMade Stealth HD 10.5 Driver
Yamaha RMX 220 17* 5 Wood
Callaway Apex 21 Hybrids - 21* and 24*
Callaway Apex 21 P-6 Irons
Titleist Vokey SM9 Wedges 56-14F and 60-4T
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

We need more POSITIVE threads like this. I gave everyone a "like" to this point cause I'm digging the vibe. Thanks OP.

I too rehash a recent round to fall asleep and if that doesn't work I resort to melatonin.

55 yo here and daily WRX attendant. Love the site and have even played with a number of you. ALL good people.

Unlike many here, I'm sure I've saved more money than the site has cost me (Deal Or No Deal section addiction)... though I do have a closet full of discounted golf balls that I make NO apologies for.

You guys are great and I hope you ALL shave a few strokes off your cap this year.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

Sir, pretty sure you are one of those guys everyone enjoys playing with! I know I would love the opportunity :-)

Thank you for the kind words!!!!!

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I'm 66 and I think I get more out of the game than I did 20 years ago.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

i'm at a point where golf's charm has wore off and not to excited to play anymore. I suppose stress from work and family gets the best of you. hopefully when things settle down I will have that itch again for golf. lately, after years of not playing, I am picking up my clubs and taking swings in the house though. hopefully I get out there like I used to and could have that same feeling you are having.

I don't know that it counts as addiction, but when I've had to have surgery, my first thought has been "so, when can I play golf?'. At 68, I've been playing for nearly 50 years, and I get excited on the way to the course. I remember, quite clearly, exceptional shots from years past. How they felt, what they looked like, the club, everything. Edit, to SixtySomething, kudos on finding a wife that will let you pitch foam balls in the living room. My wife looks at me suspiciously when I carry a club through the living room.

first word luxuries. Enjoy

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

I’m addicted to golf, but like your wife said “there are worse things to be addicted to”. I don’t lose sleep over golf, but I spend way too much of my free time and mental energy on golf. I’m a husband and father and employee as well, so I take those roles seriously. I’m a homeowner and investor and coach etc etc. I take those roles seriously too. You get the picture.

But I’ve gotten to the age where I’m not necessarily picking up something new to better myself in any appreciable way, and I’m on track to meet my retirement goals sooner than most. So golf makes for a great passion to prepare me for a life of more golf post working.

My addiction to golf has probably stunted my career somewhat, and has definitely consumed me to the point that I’ve not picked up some new hobby or acquired some new skill in a while (except compressing a golf ball). My marriage is really good, and I’m a pretty good Dad. But I could be better at both. And I’ve had a successful career by basically any measure, but I imagine if I weren’t cutting out at 2 on Fridays or leaving early to hit balls / play, I could have achieved even more.

Anyway, I’m even more hooked now than usual because I just joined a new club and it is awesome! So golf is also cutting in to my early retirement/net worth too...but I love it too much!

I'm addicted to golf, but like your wife said "there are worse things to be addicted to". I don't lose sleep over golf, but I spend way too much of my free time and mental energy on golf. I'm a husband and father and employee as well, so I take those roles seriously. I'm a homeowner and investor and coach etc etc. I take those roles seriously too. You get the picture.

But I've gotten to the age where I'm not necessarily picking up something new to better myself in any appreciable way, and I'm on track to meet my retirement goals sooner than most. So golf makes for a great passion to prepare me for a life of more golf post working.

My addiction to golf has probably stunted my career somewhat, and has definitely consumed me to the point that I've not picked up some new hobby or acquired some new skill in a while (except compressing a golf ball). My marriage is really good, and I'm a pretty good Dad. But I could be better at both. And I've had a successful career by basically any measure, but I imagine if I weren't cutting out at 2 on Fridays or leaving early to hit balls / play, I could have achieved even more.

Anyway, I'm even more hooked now than usual because I just joined a new club and it is awesome! So golf is also cutting in to my early retirement/net worth too...but I love it too much!

I just erased way too long of a post, but where I am going is that we could all probably do more and be more to those we are around. I know of a lot of people who are better than I but I know of no one who has done everything they could have done. I am selfish with part of my time. But in the end, if we have treated people with courtesy and respect, provided for those we are responsible for, and loved those we should...that is not a bad start to living a decent life.

As for profession, I too have been blessed with a position that allows me to come and go a fair amount. But, I will justify that with I will always be there when needed. After one natural disaster I did not leave for 26 hours straight and my week ended on 104 hours, and the decision to do it again if needed would not even be a decision. As far as getting up the ladder I try to look at it this way...when I take my last breath will I lie there thinking I should have worked to get higher or did I work too much to get where I got? Hopefully I will feel like I got where I wanted and needed to be.

I am sure you have worked hard to achieve what you have. This will just be noise but IMO just keep working towards where you want to go. I can certainly respect anyone who provides for those they should, loves those they should, and then takes the time left to work harder or play more. I think you have it figured out!

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

Great topic! It’s true. At 62 (63 next month), I’m as excited about playing as ever. In the season I’ll be waking up at 2 then 3 then 4 thinking “ please let it be 6” on mornings I’m playing. So far since Christmas I’ve gotten 35 holes in in northern Ohio.

TSr 2, 11 driver, Tensei Blue, 55r

TSi 2, 16.5 fairway wood, Tensei Blue, 65r

Aerojet, 21 fairway wood, Kai’li Blue, 65r
Qi10 22 hybrid, Ventus Blue, 65r
AP3, 5-48* - Steelfiber i95 r
Vokey SM9 - 52, 56, KBS Tour lite
Evnroll ER2,  33"