Tiger Woods 2019 Taylormade Irons...P7TW?

hokiealumn

My guess would be that they let MT make the first set and Tiger obviously liked them so they took those heads and Milled the set so they can reproduce the exact same set tiger plays and sell them for $1500+ at retail

Only $1500?

Likely about 1800 or less sets at $2,500 per. A small run of a set like this is very expensive to make. if they do make a set to sell they won't do it to make small margins and I wouldn't expect them to do so. There would be numerous sets for TW himself. Then numerous other sets to be given to other players and special VIPs plus some sets for potential up coming collegiate players and selected amateurs. Those are not sold for any return and yet at great costs. That's the way it has gone in the past on a smaller scale without the electricity of TW. Not many years ago TM spent great amounts of money to make various special custom prototype clubs (irons and woods) for all of their feature staff players or others that they may tried to woo into their fold. Mac Gregor used to do hand made clubs for various players from other companies, I was there years ago in Albany GA and saw racks of protos and back up clubs for many notable and big name players who may or may not have been representing MacGregor Don White himself made me a special set of wedges to my specs and grinds out of very raw, rough forged blank "blocks" while I sat and watched most of it. They finely finished them and sent them to me a couple of days later. Cost to me $0, MacGregor picked up the tab. Interestingly such things and hand protos from scratch are not as common in this decade.

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  STEALTH 2 Plus 8.0 driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

A couple of thoughts. All the 730 protos started off as milled heads before they forged heads. Could be the same here and they're milled as they finalize all the shaping, then he'll get forged ones later.

But I have another thought. Take a look at the sole grinds on the irons. They're milled in the same way as the MG wedges. Could be that they're forged and then the sole is milled. Or, maybe they're just milled heads. I'm talking myself in circles.

Can't wait to hear more!

I can’t imagine they would put an iron in TW’s hands if it wasn’t forged. Even for testing. So, forged with a milled face/grooves??

Just thinking out loud here.

Mike Taylor gets the forged blanks and mills them to TW's spec....I guarantee you that is how these are processed, just like his wedges. This set has a little more TM flair but I'm sure they were built the same way.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

My guess would be that they let MT make the first set and Tiger obviously liked them so they took those heads and Milled the set so they can reproduce the exact same set tiger plays and sell them for $1500+ at retail

Only $1500?

Likely about 1800 or less sets at $2,500 per. A small run of a set like this is very expensive to make. if they do make a set to sell they won't do it to make small margins and I wouldn't expect them to do so. There would be numerous sets for TW himself. Then numerous other sets to be given to other players and special VIPs plus some sets for potential up coming collegiate players and selected amateurs. Those are not sold for any return and yet at great costs. That's the way it has gone in the past on a smaller scale without the electricity of TW. Not many years ago TM spent great amounts of money to make various special custom prototype clubs (irons and woods) for all of their feature staff players or others that they may tried to woo into their fold. Mac Gregor used to do hand made clubs for various players from other companies, I was there years ago in Albany GA and saw racks of protos and back up clubs for many notable and big name players who may or may not have been representing MacGregor Don White himself made me a special set of wedges to my specs and grinds out of very raw, rough forged blank "blocks" while I sat and watched most of it. They finely finished them and sent them to me a couple of days later. Cost to me $0, MacGregor picked up the tab. Interestingly such things and hand protos from scratch are not as common in this decade.

I hope they are a full bore release like the P730s.

From what I understand is TW has weight added to certain parts of the head and a lot of extra work goes into his heads. Something that can’t just be “milled” these looks sweet though and off the rack it might be close in shape to what he plays but we most likely will never get something from TM that TW truly plays.

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

From what I understand is TW has weight added to certain parts of the head and a lot of extra work goes into his heads. Something that can’t just be “milled” these looks sweet though and off the rack it might be close in shape to what he plays but we most likely will never get something from TM that TW truly plays.

Heck, Ill take a close resemblance to TWs irons anytime. Wedges too..

Cannot believe some people get to do things like this for a living. Wow. We toil all day everyday and barely scrape by. Others coast through life and make a killing.

This video is awesome.

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter:
Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver:
Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood: Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid:
Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid:
Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW:
Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW:
Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW:
Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips: 
Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

hold on...

He's only testing two irons. Therefore it might take some time to get the atoms in the head are in proper alignment.

Also, on the wedge shot, everyone else hits a hi toe wedge, tiger stays with his normal LW

Right now, nothing to see here but maybe, just maybe in the future

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

hold on...

He's only testing two irons. Therefore it might take some time to get the atoms in the head are in proper alignment.

Also, on the wedge shot, everyone else hits a hi toe wedge, tiger stays with his normal LW

Yeah, I’m not so sure about that...

Glad to see a Nike guru, like yourself, chiming in on this topic. Great interview on TG2 by the way. I envy your club collection and Nike “one offs”. Can’t wait to see your MT wedges when you get them!

Driver: TaylorMade SIM MAX (10.5 degrees - set to 9.75 and 1.5 degrees open)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 White 70 TX (at 45" and tipped 1")

3-wood: TaylorMade SIM (15 degrees)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 Black 70 TX (at 43" and tipped 1")

UDI: *** Under Construction ***

Irons: TaylorMade P-7MC 4-PW (1 degree upright)

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Tour 120 X

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack (Raw) 52.10, 56.12 & 60.12

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Wedge 125

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant (at 34")

Exactly true. Tm can keep trying. But you’re going to see artisan blades and wedges in the bag in the end.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

hold on...

Exactly. All you’re seeing is a test round. And we know how quick he kicks things to the curb. Otherwise the sticks he’s playing wouldn’t still be in the bag.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

hold on...

Exactly. All you’re seeing is a test round. And we know how quick he kicks things to the curb. Otherwise the sticks he’s playing wouldn’t still be in the bag.

TW is slowly turning into a club ho. You never know, some of the new stuff he is testing could make its way to his bag this year. I hope we find out soon.

Tiger has always tested other equipment in off tour rounds at home. Even when tied to Nike contracts. I know TM made Drivers and FWs numerous times over the years. Pretty sure there was others. I believe that Orlimar made some testers for him in his early Titleist days also.

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  STEALTH 2 Plus 8.0 driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

Tiger has always tested other equipment in off tour rounds at home. Even when tied to Nike contracts. I know TM made Drivers and FWs numerous times over the years. Pretty sure there was others. I believe that Orlimar made some testers for him in his early Titleist days also.

Yep, TW loved the R510 TP bad even had it in the bag very very briefly.

A couple of thoughts. All the 730 protos started off as milled heads before they forged heads. Could be the same here and they're milled as they finalize all the shaping, then he'll get forged ones later.

But I have another thought. Take a look at the sole grinds on the irons. They're milled in the same way as the MG wedges. Could be that they're forged and then the sole is milled. Or, maybe they're just milled heads. I'm talking myself in circles.

Can't wait to hear more!

I can’t imagine they would put an iron in TW’s hands if it wasn’t forged. Even for testing. So, forged with a milled face/grooves??

Just thinking out loud here.

You can mill a club head from a forged block of carbon steel. They can forge it into a rectangular block (or whatever other rough shape they want to start with) and throw it into the CNC mill and out comes a club. I'm going to say that they've also done some final grinding/shaping/finishing to dial it in even further to Tiger's liking.

I believe it was actually a R500.

Epic Speed LS 🔷🔷🔷 9* Hzrdus Hulk Smoke 6.5TX 
X Hot 3 Deep 14.5* Matrix Ozik 8M2 X Flex
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2 KBS 105X
T-MB 4 PX LS 7.0

Nike VR Pro Combo Pocket Cavity 5 Iron, 6-9 Blades Oban 125X
RTX Zip Core 46 Oban 125X

Vokey 50M KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 54V KBS Tour 130X

Vokey 60M KBS Tour 130X
Champions Choice Newport Plus MMT 135

I believe it was actually a R500.

I’ll look for the article/pic. He actually had the R510 TP, may have been in a practice round or something. The site I was on at the time was in a total uproar..

You mean this?

R510 TP

May 2003

Deutsche Bank SAP Open, Gut Laden GC, Hamburg, Germany

Any comments or teasers you can give us on the P7TWs Tiger's got in his bag?

Driver: TSR3 10.0* | Accra Tour Z RPG 472 45"

5 Wood: SIM Max 18.5* | Mitsubishi MMT 85TX

2i: Mizuno Fli-Hi 18* | KBS Prototype 95X

3i: Ping i59 @ 21* | Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
4-PW: Callaway TCB Raw | Project X 7.0
Wedges: 50&54&60: Cleveland CBX Zipcore | Project X 6.5
Putter: Cobra Vintage Sport-60

hold on...

TW is slowly turning into a club ho. You never know, some of the new stuff he is testing could make its way to his bag this year. I hope we find out soon.

When do you think he'll play them? #AskingForAFriend

Only $1500?

That's awesome.

Driver: (10.5) Taylormade SIM2 MAX Graphite Design YS-6X

3-Wood: (13) Taylormade V-Steel Grafalloy ProLite 35X

Hybrid: (18) Ping Rapture Aldlia VS By You 80X

Utility: (21) New Level NLU-01 True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Irons: (5-P) New Level 902 PD True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Gap/Sand: (48, 54) New Level SPN Forged S Grind True Temper Dynamic Gold X100 (48), S400 (54)

Lob: (58) Vokey Wedgeworks T Grind True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
Putter: Tad Moore PRO 1 Long Neck

Ball: Snell MTB Black

hold on...

Hopefully we see them here in a few weeks:)

I am not a machinist, but isn’t the milling just a way to use a machine to do the work that Mike Taylor does by hand on a grinding wheel? He takes a forged club blank and uses his hands and a grinder to create the final shape. I’d assume TM is taking forged blanks and using a computer controlled mill to get the same results without having to clone Mike Taylor. Forging or casting is how you get the blanks, milling and grinding is how you finish the clubs. Is this accurate?

• Like 1

hold on...

Will he play them is the question. And if he does which revision will it be ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I am not a machinist, but isn’t the milling just a way to use a machine to do the work that Mike Taylor does by hand on a grinding wheel? He takes a forged club blank and uses his hands and a grinder to create the final shape. I’d assume TM is taking forged blanks and using a computer controlled mill to get the same results without having to clone Mike Taylor. Forging or casting is how you get the blanks, milling and grinding is how you finish the clubs. Is this accurate?

In theory. Yes. I’d say Mr Taylor has his hands on them regardless of whether a mill or his grinders are used. Tm had trouble building the first set to suit tiger ...months of trying. . No reason to think they have cracked the code now.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

hold on...

Hopefully we see them here in a few weeks:)

On the BST?