2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Please recommend an old school driver that can still keep up today!

theothertwo

Think I mentioned the SuperDeep earlier (too lazy to go back and look). Ran across the below thread in search results, it's fairly interesting, the SuperDeep tested against M1 and SLDR using the Pro Orange shaft. Stands up pretty well.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1561522-old-vs-new-m1-vs-superdeep-vs-sldr-trackman-results/page__hl__%20superdeep

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rapture v1 and v2

2nd on the OG Rapture and another to add is the Cobra ZL (not the Encore). Both can be had for around $50 in OK condition with a stock shaft. A bit more for a really nice head and aftermarket shaft.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

The question is WHY?

Putting together a semi semi vintage bag, need a driver to go along with Tommy Armour Silver Scot 845 Irons, crazy yes. I don't even remember what drivers I was using when I was playing these irons in the early 90s. Possibly a Powerbilt Persimmon Citation, Original Big Bertha, Taylor Made Burner, Great Big Bertha which are all obsolete now.

May look into the 910D3, I remember liking that driver.

Random side note...I hooked up with two guys and played today. The older guy played a set of the 845's and an original Big Bertha driver. He was short but accurate. While we all want distance, this guy shot an 84 in Rochester, NY....In January.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik

4 Wood: PXG Gen 5

7 Wood: PXG Gen 5 

Irons: Cleveland ZipCore XL (5-AW)
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 4 ZipCore  (54, 58)
Putter: Toulon Memphis

Depends what you mean by 'Keep up' and how Old School you want to go.

There have been some tests on such a thing:

https://Not allowed because of spam.co...est-big-bertha/

https://Not allowed because of spam.co...e-r7-superquad/

The only Old School drivers I reckon will match a modern driver distance-wise are the Callaway ERC+ and the Taylormade SLDR.

Why doesn't anyone put a new shaft in an old driver. I believe shaft tech has out advanced driver tech

I've been working on exactly that. Currently testing a SLDR 430 with a G7 Attas and a Hzrdus black. If i ever buy a new driver, probs in the spring, i'll let you all know what's tops.

I agree it is mostly about getting a shaft that suits your swing. I have about a dozen gamers but I have replaced the shafts in almost all of them. The only stock shafts I use are in the 910D2 with a made for Titleist Diamana shaft, Adams 9032 with an aldila s-core. Surprisingly for me the real deal Diamana in my 913 I never liked, too stiff even though it has the same cpm as the made for shaft. My 909 has an "orange crush" mfs apache shaft - very stylish. My Cleveland classic xl and 905 both have an Xcaliber superlite and are long. I haven't found a newer driver that I thought felt as good as most of mine!

Cobra L4V.

Oooohhhhh. Forgot about that bad boy and worse yet, forgot I still had it.

The shaft is bad-azz too.

Great combo but with a God-awful sound. Almost as bad as the Nike Sasquatch/Sumo

c5a6322a5930cb565e2c8e68201497ec.jpg

2c1732196d26662ed5d7cf9b892b5816.jpg

d64d7330ef07b2af6cae741259eee380.jpg

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

Cobra L4V.

Oooohhhhh. Forgot about that bad boy and worse yet, forgot I still had it.

The shaft is bad-azz too.

Great combo but with a God-awful sound. Almost as bad as the Nike Sasquatch/Sumo

c5a6322a5930cb565e2c8e68201497ec.jpg

2c1732196d26662ed5d7cf9b892b5816.jpg

d64d7330ef07b2af6cae741259eee380.jpg

Love it. I have two L4V X models. I will never get rid of them. The L4V is so easy to hit. I also use led tape all over my drivers. Mainly on the toe.

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Odyssey WH PRO 7
-----------------------------------------

Think I mentioned the SuperDeep earlier (too lazy to go back and look). Ran across the below thread in search results, it's fairly interesting, the SuperDeep tested against M1 and SLDR using the Pro Orange shaft. Stands up pretty well.

http://www.golfwrx.c..._hl__ superdeep

I have a buddy who absolutely pounded his Super Deep for years. He should have kept it in the bag.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

Love it. I have two L4V X models. I will never get rid of them. The L4V is so easy to hit. I also use led tape all over my drivers. Mainly on the toe.

At the time, I played a fade, so the X head didn't work for me, the F head was just right. I play my drivers shorter (44.5") so I needed lead tape keep the swingweight up. I didn't need to help the face stay open or close sooner so I just put the tape on the back of the head.

Still one of the worst sounding heads ever, but it did launch the ball high and straight.

Old stuff:

New stuff
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

Add the Titleist 905r

Absolutely!! One of the best ever, and still take it out occasionally with no loss on performance.

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

Ping G2 - was the first really long driver I ever hit and saw unbelievable results with many different users.

Ping Rapture V1 - still unbelievable ball speed, but too much spin for modern golf balls.

Ping Rapture V2 - kept ball speed of V1, but with less spin. Still as good as anything out there if you get fit for the right shaft and don't care about adjustability.

Ping G2 - was the first really long driver I ever hit and saw unbelievable results with many different users.

Ping Rapture V1 - still unbelievable ball speed, but too much spin for modern golf balls.

Ping Rapture V2 - kept ball speed of V1, but with less spin. Still as good as anything out there if you get fit for the right shaft and don't care about adjustability.

With the right shaft, you can take the spin off of the v1 Rapture. I had a Blueboard in it and later a Project X 5.5. Blue and with a 10.5* head my spin was around 2800

Old stuff:

New stuff
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

FTiz tour / Fubuki tour 63x & Razr Fit / Fubuki K70x, of all the drivers I have purchased over the years, these two I will never sell.

They can easily hang with my current setup, not sure why I’ve been through possibly 10 or so drivers since,

Anyway, I love my current driver setup & very seldom hit the older two but they bring it for sure.

With the implantation of the .830 COR / 239 CT Unit time limitation. Back in 2003

Meaning at current any Legal Generation of club from 2003 Should be capable if all things equal to keep up.

So base point the R510 released in 2003 should by legal specs be just as long an M3/M4 with that anything in-between.

The key is generating the maximum amount of speed you as a player can through proper shaft weight, flex and length then add on the head that gives you the greatest ball speed on your average strike on the face and then finally launch conditions.

OK so got all that blah blah blah out of the way.

TM Jetspeed driver, out side of the TM 07 Burner. Tech, Shaft, fitting, pricing and personally the most under rated driver I have known. I think they are $50 and deep(as in long) if the stock shaft works for you if not a simple swap of the adapter and the best fitting shaft for you at X length and you are gold.

WITH that.... The Generations of club by PRICE for me is what I would gravitate too.

910 D2 from Titleist

Ping K15 driver

All Great drives with legal .830 /239 Ct units and forgiving as can be.

Other than that...in my opinion in the current tech is just spreading the 239ct units across the face as MUCH as possible.... through Speed channels and active recoil channels and increase MOI through weight.....$500 a driver... YIKESSS add in your shaft, fitting YIKESS!!! thats 10 rounds of golf!

Agree. COR rules limits how hot a driver face can be, so in theory all drivers since 2003 have the same potential for ball speed. Ditto MOI with all 460cc heads although tech has probably improved this area through more efficient use of those 460cc. I don't necessarily buy all the hype about lower spinning heads etc being the sole reason for extra distance. Fittng will definitely get you a head/shaft combination that maximises your potential distance, but IMO it was possible to get the same in older models, just more hit and miss. Fitting has certainly made it easier to find the right combo, but it wasn't impossible before.

The real reason I see for the extra distance of modern drivers is longer shafts. Drivers from 10 years ago would have come in at 45" stock. Drivers now start at 45.5 and are usually closer to 46. The extra length gives you an extra 10-20 yards on flushed hits, but at what price? I have a current driver (TEE EX 9) at 46" and a TM R7 super quad tp at about 45". I hit the TEE about 10 yards further on good strikes, but at 46" I hit it all over the face and my bad miss is the snap hook. I keep finding myself going back to the TM, and hitting it so straight so easily and finding the centre of the face more often resulting in more consistent distance.

It's not old, but if the King LTD were released today it would still be keeping up with everything else.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

With the implantation of the .830 COR / 239 CT Unit time limitation. Back in 2003

Meaning at current any Legal Generation of club from 2003 Should be capable if all things equal to keep up.

So base point the R510 released in 2003 should by legal specs be just as long an M3/M4 with that anything in-between.

The key is generating the maximum amount of speed you as a player can through proper shaft weight, flex and length then add on the head that gives you the greatest ball speed on your average strike on the face and then finally launch conditions.

OK so got all that blah blah blah out of the way.

TM Jetspeed driver, out side of the TM 07 Burner. Tech, Shaft, fitting, pricing and personally the most under rated driver I have known. I think they are $50 and deep(as in long) if the stock shaft works for you if not a simple swap of the adapter and the best fitting shaft for you at X length and you are gold.

WITH that.... The Generations of club by PRICE for me is what I would gravitate too.

910 D2 from Titleist

Ping K15 driver

All Great drives with legal .830 /239 Ct units and forgiving as can be.

Other than that...in my opinion in the current tech is just spreading the 239ct units across the face as MUCH as possible.... through Speed channels and active recoil channels and increase MOI through weight.....$500 a driver... YIKESSS add in your shaft, fitting YIKESS!!! thats 10 rounds of golf!

Agree. COR rules limits how hot a driver face can be, so in theory all drivers since 2003 have the same potential for ball speed. Ditto MOI with all 460cc heads although tech has probably improved this area through more efficient use of those 460cc. I don't necessarily buy all the hype about lower spinning heads etc being the sole reason for extra distance. Fittng will definitely get you a head/shaft combination that maximises your potential distance, but IMO it was possible to get the same in older models, just more hit and miss. Fitting has certainly made it easier to find the right combo, but it wasn't impossible before.

The real reason I see for the extra distance of modern drivers is longer shafts. Drivers from 10 years ago would have come in at 45" stock. Drivers now start at 45.5 and are usually closer to 46. The extra length gives you an extra 10-20 yards on flushed hits, but at what price? I have a current driver (TEE EX 9) at 46" and a TM R7 super quad tp at about 45". I hit the TEE about 10 yards further on good strikes, but at 46" I hit it all over the face and my bad miss is the snap hook. I keep finding myself going back to the TM, and hitting it so straight so easily and finding the centre of the face more often resulting in more consistent distance.

Been Struggling and its funny... GOT that lesson for the FIRST time ever Today....

Took my 44" Cut 07 Burner with me... 1.48 smash efficiency..on trackman today.

Tried out the 45.75 TM M4 1.42 efficiency. I left PLENTY ball speed on the table BUT could NOT hit it worth a damn...

SO what do you do HOPE and pray that I do get a 1.49 lucky hit with a $500+ driver.

Or stick with a "tuned" 1.49 efficiency driver that basically hits the same.

THE ONLY thing that I did actually notice 3000rpms of spin with my 07 Burner

2200rpms of spin with the Titeliest TS3 driver (that I tried also), pretty significant so the distance were about the same BUT could NOT get over 1.42 smash with it.....

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Cobra XX speed. Rediculous low spin for an older head. Loud, obnoxious and long when hit off the screws. Still have two of them.

Agree with above about the older Adams too. 9015d were great heads.

TSi3 Ventus Black 6TX

TSi2  Ventus Black 7X

3 T100s Tour AD DI 95X

4-GW T100s PX LZ 6.0

MG3 52, 56, 60 

PXG 0311 53, 58

PXG Blackjack/Scotty phantom 11

Supertri? Not sure if someone else suggested this - that thing still bombs it. I second 983K/E, but definitely need a super solid hit. Zero forgiveness whatsoever.

Titleist TSR3 10 Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 5S

Titleist 915F 16.5 Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Titleist TS3 19 Fujikura Fuel 85HB S

Titleist U500 4i Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 90 HY 6.0

Titleist 620MB 5-PW AeroTech Steelfiber i95 S

Titleist Vokey Design SM9 52F, 58M True Temper DG S200

Scotty Cameron Teryllium 2 Newport KBS GPS Tour 120 Rainbow
Titleist Linksmaster stand bag

• 1 month later...

Callaway RFX. Plays at 44.5 inches. Just switched out the shafts from a oban devotion to the 7m3 bLack tie which is new condition still from the original purchase 5 years ago. I rocked a taylormade R9 Superdeep for a short while, tough to hit on off days but when hit on the screws it keeps up with today's drivers easily.