You've seen it, I've seen it: dropping at "knee height." WHY??

BenSeattle

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thing I only have to drop twice a year or so. I tried it yesterday and it does invoke quite the physical reaction. Size 13 foot makes it interesting bending forward to drop. Near impossible to gauge when you are at knee height stretching out a foot from your body forward. So to the side is the logical choice. Then you try to side bend to get down there . Just feels more natural since we all dropped from the side before. But it is a stretch to do it without bending the knee.

It doesn't have to be that hard. The human body is remarkable. With a lean to the side or front your hand is about at knee height in its natural position.

Not me. I’ve got legs for days. Seriously. I can touch my toes if I want to. But it’s one of those all or nothing things. Going half way is a pain in the arse. Seriously. Don’t know why. Somebody like Brian Harmon can probably drop it out of his pocket and be knee height. But not me.

I’ll manage. Like I said. Only twice a year or so.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I guess there's always a chance someone has disproportionately short arms.

Lol. Touche’ !

Not a T. rex. But yes. Maybe so.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

What I find humorous on that ^ is that he went all in and got the “ big bucket “ .... this guy intends on being ready when he has to drop. Practice will indeed make perfect.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Only golfers could find difficulty in something as simple as 'drop from knee height'. This sport truly attracts some strange people.

Buy, if the rule in question had a real penalty, say a 2 or 4 strokes penalty, golfers would get it ,

And yes it is simple. But some people......

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

Good thing I only have to drop twice a year or so. I tried it yesterday and it does invoke quite the physical reaction. Size 13 foot makes it interesting bending forward to drop. Near impossible to gauge when you are at knee height stretching out a foot from your body forward. So to the side is the logical choice. Then you try to side bend to get down there . Just feels more natural since we all dropped from the side before. But it is a stretch to do it without bending the knee.

Nobody said you can't bend your knee ffs.

when i bend my knees my ankles bend too and knee height goes down .. is that legal? or are you suggesting i guess at where my knees were before i bent them down ?

of course im just highlighting the silliness.. which i find particularly funny since im the one usually being accused of being "old timey" and too serious when talking about the game . the minute i find some humor in the rules , someone squarer than me pipes up ...

in all seriousness as i understand it now it doesnt matter... drop it from wherever you can reach , and if you are called on it , re drop ... penalty free. otherwise its whatever you want to do i guess. cause its not exactly "knee height" the rules say so . Its as close as you can get . which can be anything .

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

when i bend my knees my ankles bend too and knee height goes down .. is that legal?

No, Its a 2 shot penalty if your ankle bends whilst dropping.

No wonder many people question whether golf is actually a sport or not.

"Rickie Fowler is out for the next three tournaments after a back injury trying to drop his golf ball from knee height."

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

when i bend my knees my ankles bend too and knee height goes down .. is that legal? or are you suggesting i guess at where my knees were before i bent them down ?

For goodness sake bh, you've really got to READ the rules once in a while.

They even have PICTURES - http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=rule&rulenum=14

of course im just highlighting the silliness.. which i find particularly funny since im the one usually being accused of being "old timey" and too serious when talking about the game . the minute i find some humor in the rules , someone squarer than me pipes up ...

in all seriousness as i understand it now it doesnt matter... drop it from wherever you can reach , and if you are called on it , re drop ... penalty free. otherwise its whatever you want to do i guess. cause its not exactly "knee height" the rules say so . Its as close as you can get . which can be anything .

No, even if you're not "called on it" you get a 1 stroke penalty if it ends up IN the proper relief area and you hit it from there and 2 strokes if it does NOT end up in the relief area and you hit it from there.

But it's the same as the old shoulder rule. We've all seen drops that were above shoulder level and some slightly lower. Nobody "cares" so long as you do your best to be at the right height. ;)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

lol... i said i was making light of the silliness.. ^^ i know what the rule is ., ive looked at the pics several times . That was a rhetorical question to his rediculous statement..which he followed with an untrue answer which i followed with a fake rule citing.... we understood the back and forth that was going on ..lol all nonsense.

and i was talking about if you dont hit it after the drop ... no penalty to re drop ... so eh- i boil it down to nobody cares , drop from where ever you want to in the general area... pretty much what you said in the last line

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Oh come on BH you're being obtuse on purpose. It's not like we needed a carpenters level to insure the arm was extended properly the old drop method.

I really don't understand all this. Use a little common sense and drop the ball from knee height. It's not rocket science. Then again this is the internet and common sense is rare.

Amen! I'm surprised nobody has asked where EXACTLY on the knee are we to measure to. Just for fun, I measured my kneecap, and the bone is about 2-1/2 inches from top to bottom. How has this escaped the attention of the truly detail-oriented neurotic? Make the effort to get close, and you'll have exercised reasonable judgement.

I really don't understand all this. Use a little common sense and drop the ball from knee height. It's not rocket science. Then again this is the internet and common sense is rare.

Amen! I'm surprised nobody has asked where EXACTLY on the knee are we to measure to. Just for fun, I measured my kneecap, and the bone is about 2-1/2 inches from top to bottom. How has this escaped the attention of the truly detail-oriented neurotic? Make the effort to get close, and you'll have exercised reasonable judgement.

The old way of dropping probably allowed near a foot of latitude depending on the angle of the the arm when extended from the body. We didn't need a carpenters level to insure its precision. This new way will provide less variation.

I'm trying to spend less time on WRX but this thread is hilarious :)

I thought of that. But we have to have a line somewhere. Lol

We should go back to dropping over the shoulder. See what Bryson E. Coyote - "Have Brain. Will Travel" can do with that.

Mirror on his hat and shoulder maybe ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Only in forum world is this a "thing". The new ob and lost ball rules are of much more weight.

not really I don’t know of any course that’s going to put those rules in play . I actually called three courses close to me and spoke with the pros (whom I know) and asked and they said no, people don’t play by the rules anyway during casual rounds no need to muddy the water trying to explain a rule change that matches what they are doing anyway. That’s a quote from one of them.

Another laughed and said “ let’s see. Breakfast balls. , 3 foot gimmes , and hazard drops all over the map ....who thinks they are playing stroke and distance anyway “?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock