Chamblee: Every player should leave flagstick in

RMGC_NV

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great find Dave!

Is this treading in the same territory as the "bigger holes" thing? Changing the cup (or the flagstick within the cup) to improve a putt's chance of going in?

Of course it is. Maybe small but certainly in that direction.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Apologies Dave but what you quoted is the max, there is no stated min and no standard. In a different thread I brought up the topic of tapered pins and the impact that would make on the decision to leave the flag in or out.

This is accurate, all that we have is a maximum diameter, and a circular cross section. Actually, there IS a maximum diameter of 2 inches, and I've seen flagsticks that taper from a small tip to a thicker middle. The other prohibitions are that it can't be designed to absorb shocks, and it cant be designed to unduly influence the movement of the ball. I wonder whether a flagstick that tapers at about green level would be disallowed for unduly influencing the ball. I can see that a flagstick that tapers at that level could tend to deflect a putted ball more downward.

That was exactly my point in the other thread regarding tapered pins. Those that are thinner at the bottom would seem to provide an advantage when putting with the stick in. It wouldn't seem as though the "intention" of the rules is for a pin to provide any advantage whatsoever.

In my memory, which admittedly is far from perfect, when I've played a course with "tapered" flagsticks, the taper occurs at some significant distance above the ground, well above the height of a rolling golf ball. So I started googling. I can see places to purchase tapered flagsticks, but no real descriptions. Then I stumbled onto this article:

http://archive.lib.m...e/2008jun22.pdf

Apparently a superintendent did a moderately scientific test of three different flagstick models. You can read for yourself, but thhey did find a slight difference between a standard straight 1/2" model and a 3/4" tapered model. In both cases, the portion of the stick within 12" of the surface was 1/2" diameter. I wonder of Bryson has read this.

Oh my, I just stumbled onto another one, "The Putt-Saver Technology is a precisely tapered fagstick angle to direct your ball into the cup."

https://www.standard...2/puttsaver.pdf

I wonder if that violates this requirement:

The flagstick must not:

a. incorporate features, including materials, designed to act in a shock absorbing manner or have shock absorbing properties upon impact with the ball, or

b. have features or properties which are designed to unduly influence the movement of the ball, or

There is a marketing opportunity here for the tapered flagstick. 5% more birdies is a nice competitive advantage. Now...whether it's within the rules...another story.

There is a marketing opportunity here for the tapered flagstick. 5% more birdies is a nice competitive advantage. Now...whether it's within the rules...another story.

Doubt it would be 5% difference on putts. The tests you linked to were to simulate chips.

The ball was rolling down a 10 foot slope at a grade of 20%. (Ten foot long pipe with end raised 2 feet off ground).

The pipe exit was 14 inches from the hole. The ball would've been CRUISING way past the hole, much further than a typical putt.

EDIT: My brain didn't comprehend that maybe you meant marketing angle beyond just the putting with flagstick in rule change.

I chuckle at the "we will all agree that within ___ feet it's coming out (or leaving it in)" stuff and the silly "they'll quickly see it our way" attitude - even if it a minority. A tricky 1,2,3,4,5,6 footer may make a difference whether it needs to be in or out for a particular player.

Putting some peer pressure element into it is really against the essence of the game.

I chuckle at the "we will all agree that within ___ feet it's coming out (or leaving it in)" stuff and the silly "they'll quickly see it our way" attitude - even if it a minority. A tricky 1,2,3,4,5,6 footer may make a difference whether it needs to be in or out for a particular player.

Putting some peer pressure element into it is really against the essence of the game.

Yup. I don't want to be guilted into leaving the stick out because of some blood oath everyone took on the first tee.

It's personal preference, embrace that everyone is different (particularly on a site where we tell guys to "do what works for you").

Doubt it would be 5% difference on putts. The tests you linked to were to simulate chips.

The ball was rolling down a 10 foot slope at a grade of 20%. (Ten foot long pipe with end raised 2 feet off ground).

The pipe exit was 14 inches from the hole. The ball would've been CRUISING way past the hole, much further than a typical putt.

EDIT: My brain didn't comprehend that maybe you meant marketing angle beyond just the putting with flagstick in rule change.

I responded to the research, the younger and much more handsome Dave provided the content. My comment was purely that if you were selling flagsticks, being able to say on "this test data" we saw 5% more putts/chips/pitches go in is certainly a feature of a pin. Again, the question of the variance of the diameter and how that factors into the rules is certainly a consideration.

I responded to the research, the younger and much more handsome Dave provided the content. My comment was purely that if you were selling flagsticks, being able to say on "this test data" we saw 5% more putts/chips/pitches go in is certainly a feature of a pin. Again, the question of the variance of the diameter and how that factors into the rules is certainly a consideration.

Makes sense. I usually quote more text than necessary. For sure, I would think if you are in the business of selling a commodity (flagstick), any way you can differentiate yourself from the competition is a good thing.

I suppose something about the angle of the taper would cause the ball to deflect more downward than it otherwise would have without the taper?

Kind of funny that in 2019, "flagstick tech" is a hot-button issue :D

We can kid, but it is this type of analysis that will continue providing competitive advantages going forward. People laugh about a 300 RPM difference in spin, or a .03 advantage in strokes gained from doing X, Y or Z. The advantages are so small they are seen in fractions of a stroke per round. But if you do enough of the "little things" they add up.

Ahhh,, the good ole USGA...

Very well reasoned and thought out, and completely clear. How could anyone NOT change their mind based on this?

Let’s not defend them too much. We haven’t forgot about the groove rule ( does nothing but cause people in competition to have to buy new irons and wedges )

At The us open at oakmont they used hi def zoom , gnat cameras to see DJs ball. Maybe move. Then inform him mid back 9 Sunday he may want to look at it and side with them. After his playing partner and an attending official said he was good.

Or the time they declared singles couldn’t post rounds. Coincidentally eliminating most walkers from posting half their rounds. Hmmm. $ is a big part of the USga agenda.

To call singles dishonest for no reason and allow putting with the pin in and free replacement of any ball you move “ accidentally “ just slaps people in the face if you’re trying to use logic.

The USga deserves every ounce they get good or bad.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I responded to the research, the younger and much more handsome Dave provided the content.

I hope you're talking about someone other than this particular 63-year old fat ugly Dave

Very well reasoned and thought out, and completely clear. How could anyone NOT change their mind based on this?

Let's not defend them too much. We haven't forgot about the groove rule ( does nothing but cause people in competition to have to buy new irons and wedges )

At The us open at oakmont they used hi def zoom , gnat cameras to see DJs ball. Maybe move. Then inform him mid back 9 Sunday he may want to look at it and side with them. After his playing partner and an attending official said he was good.

Or the time they declared singles couldn't post rounds. Coincidentally eliminating most walkers from posting half their rounds. Hmmm. $ is a big part of the USga agenda.

To call singles dishonest for no reason and allow putting with the pin in and free replacement of any ball you move " accidentally " just slaps people in the face if you're trying to use logic.

I wasn't defending anyone, I was trying to lampoon Mr. Grumpy's complete lack of anything to say.

But really, the groove rule hasn't taken effect for (guessing here) over 99% of all golfers, and most of us will have bought conforming wedges sometime in the 14 years between the initiation of the rule, and the time it DOES take effect for all players. I just don't quite understand the vitriol over a rule that doesn't impact most of us.

As for high-def cameras, the USGA enforced the rules in effect at the time, as they're required to do. They also took steps to minimize that particular issue going forward, a pretty reasonable response.

As for posting rounds you play by yourself, why should those scores be used to calculate a handicap that, by definition of the purpose of handicap, you only use when you're competing against someone else? Makes good sense to me to count only scores played in the company of other players. It has little to do with honesty, and more to do with logic. Actually, it makes more sense to count only competitive scores, but at least it was a move in the right direction.

But again, this isn't the place for a debate on the USGA as a whole. It IS a place for discussion of Mr. Chamblee's advice about the flagstick, and Mr Grumpy didn't seem prepared to discuss anything at all.

Yup. I don't want to be guilted into leaving the stick out because of some blood oath everyone took on the first tee.

It's personal preference, embrace that everyone is different (particularly on a site where we tell guys to "do what works for you").

That's quite a different approach than what you said in post #5 on this very same thread. ;)

Or the time they declared singles couldn't post rounds. Coincidentally eliminating most walkers from posting half their rounds. Hmmm. $ is a big part of the USga agenda.

To call singles dishonest for no reason and allow putting with the pin in and free replacement of any ball you move " accidentally " just slaps people in the face if you're trying to use logic.

So singles that couldn't post their rounds eliminated WALKERS from posting rounds ? LOL

What are the 3 LARGEST complaints about golf ?

Right. Cost, slow play (and the time it takes in general) and SANDBAGGING.

So singles can't post their rounds bothers you why again ? LOL

A cornerstone of handicapping is "peer review". Of which, BTW, there is NONE when someone plays alone (not that there would be much if he was playing with strangers,,,,, or even with friends for that matter.

But that's a different story and one that hopefully will be addressed by the WW handicapping changes for NEXT year.,,,,,,,

Define "irony". Someone defending a single's ability to post scores for handicaps by the guy who is probably the most vociferous on the site about the sandbaggers at HIS club.

Talk about irony. :taunt:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

That's quite a different approach than what you said in post #5 on this very same thread. ;)

The "emojis" matter.

I'd say post #5, with the "smilie", was at least a little bit "tongue in cheek". Wouldn't you agree ? :)

The last point you have crossed out above--the flagstick offers an aid - it gives the player yet another point or two at which to aim--would be my #1 motivating factor in doing this. I find that on the practice putting green my make % is significantly higher on shorter putts when I'm too lazy to take the flag out, and I attribute that largely to having a better more precise aiming point. That said I have no intention of being the annoying guy in the group who always asks for the flag to be put back in, but if the group I was playing in wanted to leave it in all the time I'm more than OK with that.

Interesting point.

So you're really willing to play worse to avoid a perceived annoyance? Dang, dude.

The default for a pin is in... I'd say those who want it out are being annoying :D

Titleist Pro V1X

Makes sense. I usually quote more text than necessary. For sure, I would think if you are in the business of selling a commodity (flagstick), any way you can differentiate yourself from the competition is a good thing.

I suppose something about the angle of the taper would cause the ball to deflect more downward than it otherwise would have without the taper?

We can kid, but it is this type of analysis that will continue providing competitive advantages going forward. People laugh about a 300 RPM difference in spin, or a .03 advantage in strokes gained from doing X, Y or Z. The advantages are so small they are seen in fractions of a stroke per round. But if you do enough of the "little things" they add up.

It's winter with limited playing opportunities and now that football season is over in Chicago, we can focus on minute details of a ball hitting an upright metal object.

Oh wait...this reminds me of Cody Parkey and the mistake on the Lake from Sunday.

Now, now, let's not cast aspersions on Mrs. Pelz' choices.

Thank you. :hi:

Titleist Pro V1X

It's winter with limited playing opportunities and now that football season is over in Chicago, we can focus on minute details of a ball hitting an upright metal object.

Oh wait...this reminds me of Cody Parkey and the mistake on the Lake from Sunday.

The flagstick clearly kept that ball out!! Should have had Trubisky down there attending it for him.

After conferring, her preference is the stick out. Always. Prefers a different room, too although I have no idea of how that is related to this topic.

After conferring, her preference is the stick out. Always. Prefers a different room, too although I have no idea of how that is related to this topic.

So long as her preference isn't the "much more handsome Dave" !!! :lol:

Titleist Pro V1X

So singles that couldn't post their rounds eliminated WALKERS from posting rounds ? LOL

A cornerstone of handicapping is "peer review". Of which, BTW, there is NONE when someone plays alone (not that there would be much if he was playing with strangers,,,,, or even with friends for that matter.

But that's a different story and one that hopefully will be addressed by the WW handicapping changes for NEXT year.,,,,,,,

Define "irony". Someone defending a single's ability to post scores for handicaps by the guy who is probably the most vociferous on the site about the sandbaggers at HIS club.

Preach!

Totally agree with not letting singles post their scores. 100%.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Preach!

Totally agree with not letting singles post their scores. 100%.

I was actually wondering about this the other day. What about in a US Open when an odd number of players make the cut and someone goes out on the weekend as a single and they elect not to use a marker. They are a single playing in a USGA event. Obviously there are throngs of people and cameras to verify whatever score they shoot, but it still seems odd, doesn't it?

I was actually wondering about this the other day. What about in a US Open when an odd number of players make the cut and someone goes out on the weekend as a single and they elect not to use a marker. They are a single playing in a USGA event. Obviously there are throngs of people and cameras to verify whatever score they shoot, but it still seems odd, doesn't it?

For the most part, those guys aren't posting scores, although I suppose its possible for an amateur to be the high score playing on day 3. I'd have to believe that there's always an official marker assigned to a single player, even if its not someone playing.

I'm fairly certain that you can't elect to "not use a marker." Even if you don't have a "playing marker," you have a marker.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

I'm fairly certain that you can't elect to "not use a marker." Even if you don't have a "playing marker," you have a marker.

I knew that you had the option of using a playing marker or not. I believe someone at Kapalua (Keegan Bradley maybe?) played as a single without a playing marker one day and the announcers were commenting on how fast his round was.

But you're probably right in that there is still someone out there attesting your card.

Cleveland is the O.G. "Mistake on the Lake"! I don't feel too bad for Chi-town. Both teams with a World Series past 15 years :D

So, with that, I share O.G. Phil Dawson showing the proper way to hit a crossbar (or stanchion).

when i am playing by myself, i have always left the flag in. Simply because i didn't want to walk back and forth to pull and then place the flag.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Most baggers travel in packs. It’s the regular 4 somes that breed this. Takes playing partners who don’t say anything to get it done. Singles are opposite if anything. Do overs etc equal a vanity cap. Not a bagger.

Think about it. If you wanted to cheat as a single. Just enter fake scores . No need to play. Sandbaggers arent erased now that singles can’t post. So the point doesn’t hold water.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock