MEMBER TESTING: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Putters! See What Members Are Saying!

We have 5 GolfWRX members testing out the new Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT putters! They will be putting the putters through their paces and reporting back to you here. The members testing are...

pappaf2

Ivyguy

Wedge Ninja

SCOTT4099

mnuemann

They will be posting their reviews shortly and make sure you ask them any questions you might have on the new Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT putters!

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Putter arrived.

Out of the box it looks good. I ordered it 1 degree upright as I have noticed the past several years that many OEMs putters standard lie angles have been 70 degrees.

I have putted with this on the practice green at a local range for three half hour sessions. The first thing that stood out was the distance control, very consistent off different areas of the face. Easy to predict with a soft click.

I will report back after I have a few rounds of use but so far this is an excellent putter for the price point. The only knock I have on it is the oversized grip is too round for my liking. I may put on a smaller pistol style golf pride grip soon.

Thanks wrx and Cleveland for the chance...

Callaway epic 9.0
Cobra bio cell 3/4
Ping G 19 degree hybrid
Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105
Callaway MD3 54/58 wedges
Cleveland HB soft 11 putter 35

I rolled that yesterday at golf galaxy. Only Cleveland they had. EXTREMELY nice putter for $129! Felt good and had a nice roll. If I didnt love my SC studio style newport 2 gss i would be very tempted go add this to my Srixon irons.

Kudos to Cleveland, great putter at a fantastic price!

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

I have putted with this on the practice green at a local range for three half hour sessions. The first thing that stood out was the distance control, very consistent off different areas of the face. Easy to predict with a soft click.

How does the "softness" of the face compare to your existing Odyssey putter?

Driver: Titleist TSR2

Fairways: TaylorMade M1 (2017) Aldila Black; Cobra Baffler F6

Irons: Cobra KING Forged Tec Irons Steelfiber i110cw

Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 54*; Callaway JAWS Full Toe 58*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Versa 3T

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

How does the "softness" of the face compare to your existing Odyssey putter?

Sorry I just updated that......forgot what was on there. Face face is noticeably harder than an odyssey white hot but it seems less adjustment time is needed to get to know how hard to strike it, if that makes sense. I hit some off the toe and distance/ direction was very predictable. I do this with downhill putts with a blade to get the ball to come off slower than hitting it in the center. These putters look high end due to the finish. I think they will be good sellers....

Callaway epic 9.0
Cobra bio cell 3/4
Ping G 19 degree hybrid
Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105
Callaway MD3 54/58 wedges
Cleveland HB soft 11 putter 35

Face face is noticeably harder than an odyssey white hot but it seems less adjustment time is needed to get to know how hard to strike it, if that makes sense. I hit some off the toe and distance/ direction was very predictable. I do this with downhill putts with a blade to get the ball to come off slower than hitting it in the center. These putters look high end due to the finish. I think they will be good sellers....

I appreciate the feedback. Predictability is always a good thing when it comes to putters.

Driver: Titleist TSR2

Fairways: TaylorMade M1 (2017) Aldila Black; Cobra Baffler F6

Irons: Cobra KING Forged Tec Irons Steelfiber i110cw

Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 54*; Callaway JAWS Full Toe 58*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Versa 3T

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

I was selected to test and review a Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT putter. I want to say I am extremely grateful to Cleveland and GolfWRX for the opportunity to be selected. I chose the Cleveland 8.5 in 34" length and 73* lie and a Iomic midsize grip. I was really interested in the milling tech on this putter and the promise of the consitent distance control on putts hit on different portions of the face. I had just had a SAM lab putter fitting while my path and face angle were very consistent the issue I had was inconsistent face contact. This putter seems like it could do a world of good.

Face Contact image from recent SAM lab.

Putter Arrives from Cleveland. It was well protected for its journey up the coast of California.

Putter Cover looks great. Really like the colors they used, I'm a sucker for that sort of electric blue.

Milling looks very nice, the milling patter tech is very noticeable. The center milling is so much deeper than the edges of the putter face.

Another Face view

Putter Cavity nice clean look with narrow milling lines pointed target-ward.

Putter from above. The head sits really nicely behind the ball. I'm not a huge fan of plumbers neck putters but this neck with about 1/2 the offset of a standard plumbers neck looks good. The bumpers and milling lines make the putter look nice behind the ball. I would prefer the sight line be on the flange vs the top line but what are you going to do.

Unfortunately the putter arrived with a miss aligned putter grip. Kinda hard to tell from the picture but it was open to the face. I didn't contact Cleveland about this as I figured I'd just take care of it myself. I pulled the grip and reinstalled it to my liking.

I rolled some balls with the new putter on my Big Moss mat. First thing I noticed was the head on this putter is 360g and is noticeably heavier than my standard putter. Putts struck in the center of the face come off very soft. Putts struck offcenter seem to come off much more firm and clicky depending on the ball used.

I've gotten two rounds in with my new 8.5 since I got it. I am going to be honest I am having a really hard time getting comfortable with this putter. I have found distance control to be a bit difficult to dial in. As I mentioned there is a decent difference between the feel of center face strikes and off center strikes. I have found myself blowing putts way past the hole in a way that isn't typical of me. I have also found myself missing some very makeable putts, like inside 3-4 feet. At this point I think the extra headweight of this putter is really throwing me off. In my round today I felt less confident standing over putts than I have in a long time. I am considering adding a counterweight to the butt of the putter to lighten up the feel of the putter head. I'm frankly shocked that I am having such a difficult time adjusting to this putter just given the fact that I think it looks good and the length, lie, loft, and offset are what my recent SAM report recommended.

I am not giving up on this putter yet and I will post updates as I use it more.

Once again thanks to WRX and Cleveland for the opportunity.

I was selected to test and review a Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT putter. I want to say I am extremely grateful to Cleveland and GolfWRX for the opportunity to be selected. I chose the Cleveland 8.5 in 34" length and 73* lie and a Iomic midsize grip. I was really interested in the milling tech on this putter and the promise of the consitent distance control on putts hit on different portions of the face. I had just had a SAM lab putter fitting while my path and face angle were very consistent the issue I had was inconsistent face contact. This putter seems like it could do a world of good.

Face Contact image from recent SAM lab.

Putter Arrives from Cleveland. It was well protected for its journey up the coast of California.

Putter Cover looks great. Really like the colors they used, I'm a sucker for that sort of electric blue.

Milling looks very nice, the milling patter tech is very noticeable. The center milling is so much deeper than the edges of the putter face.

Another Face view

Putter Cavity nice clean look with narrow milling lines pointed target-ward.

Putter from above. The head sits really nicely behind the ball. I'm not a huge fan of plumbers neck putters but this neck with about 1/2 the offset of a standard plumbers neck looks good. The bumpers and milling lines make the putter look nice behind the ball. I would prefer the sight line be on the flange vs the top line but what are you going to do.

Unfortunately the putter arrived with a miss aligned putter grip. Kinda hard to tell from the picture but it was open to the face. I didn't contact Cleveland about this as I figured I'd just take care of it myself. I pulled the grip and reinstalled it to my liking.

I rolled some balls with the new putter on my Big Moss mat. First thing I noticed was the head on this putter is 360g and is noticeably heavier than my standard putter. Putts struck in the center of the face come off very soft. Putts struck offcenter seem to come off much more firm and clicky depending on the ball used.

I've gotten two rounds in with my new 8.5 since I got it. I am going to be honest I am having a really hard time getting comfortable with this putter. I have found distance control to be a bit difficult to dial in. As I mentioned there is a decent difference between the feel of center face strikes and off center strikes. I have found myself blowing putts way past the hole in a way that isn't typical of me. I have also found myself missing some very makeable putts, like inside 3-4 feet. At this point I think the extra headweight of this putter is really throwing me off. In my round today I felt less confident standing over putts than I have in a long time. I am considering adding a counterweight to the butt of the putter to lighten up the feel of the putter head. I'm frankly shocked that I am having such a difficult time adjusting to this putter just given the fact that I think it looks good and the length, lie, loft, and offset are what my recent SAM report recommended.

I am not giving up on this putter yet and I will post updates as I use it more.

Once again thanks to WRX and Cleveland for the opportunity.

Great review. Thanks for taking the time, please keep us updated with your progress RE: counter balanced grip install. I hope this helps.

Keep up the good work

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5* Tensei Blue 65 S 
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16* AeroTech Steel Fiber FC HYB S (+1/2")
Srixon ZU85 4(22*) UST Recoil f3
Callaway Apex ‘21 5/6 UST Recoil SW 780 f4 (+1/2")
Callaway Apex Pro ‘21 7-AW UST Recoil SW 780 f4 (+1/2")
Callaway MD5 Tour 54*S /60*T DG S200 (+1/2")
Toulon San Diego 34” or Odyssey #1 Tank CB 38” 
Callaway Chrome Soft 3's

Thanks to Cleveland and GolfWRX for allowing me to test out this new putter.

I'm coming from a Odyssey White Ice 2 ball center shaft with the 370g weight. I really have never liked the look of my putter, too big and bulky, but I make putts with it and no one seems to make a center shafted mallet putter anymore, so I've stuck with it. When I saw the Cleveland 11c, I was in to give it a shot because its exactly what I want but much smaller. Maybe I'm not in my own boat though because the putter was originally backordered, but Cleveland still got it to me nice and quick. Hopefuly this style starts to catch on again.

I would describe my putting game as overall above average, usually will make a long one 25 feet or so once a round, lots of good lags to inside 3-4 feet otherwise. I have always struggled with alignment all the way through the bag which seemed to be helped by this style of putter, and when I get lazy I will absolutely miss a 3-4 3 footers or a 2 footer on a bad day.

Without further ado, here are some pics of the putter and cool headcover which I like a lot. One bonus in the last pic, the teeth or fangs or whatever on the back of the putter are just the right size to pop the putter right down on top of the ball and pick it up, useful for all those gimmes, lol.

Putted around in my living room a little over the Christmas weekend and noticed that this putter was extremely soft. I'm seriously not even noticing the thing hit the ball, easily the softest non-insert putter i've ever used (not saying a lot I haven't gamed a ton). It feels really nice but my first concern is that I won't get a lot of feedback on off center hits since I can't really feel the ball come off the face. My alignment seemed dead on and really easy to get the ball started on line. Of course this is all on the carpet.

Only other quick note is for some reason this doesn't feel as heavy as my 370g odyssey, no clue why, may be the placebo affect of a smaller sized head.

Got out on the course a couple times this week and was mostly happy with most of the performance. Made the first few putts on the putting green before the first round and then off to the first hole. Took a little getting used to as I ran the first putt from about 40 feet 15 feet by, will need to work on that distance control. Over the next few holes alignment was perfect and I felt like I was deadly inside of about 10 feet, outside of that continued to struggle with distances for some reason leaving many putts 8-10 feet short or long from 30 feet+.

Played a second course a couple days ago and mostly more of the same. Everything was right on line and any miss insider 10 feet was an absolute misread, but still having trouble outside about 25-30 feet with hitting those nice dead lags.

At this point I'm not sure whether to attribute the distance control issues to 1) getting used to a new putter, especially one without an insert, 2) playing 2 courses this week I don't play a lot, one that was drenched wet and the other that still had some frozen spots on the greens, so possibly I was just inconsistent with my normal speed control, or 3) something with the putter I don't get along with.

I'm absolutely keeping the thing in the bag for a bit to try and get this distance control sorted out as I love the confidence I have from short range and love that I no longer have a giant ugly behemoth on a stick to putt with. Should get a few more rounds in in the next couple weeks and will report back with results or to answer any questions. Bandon trip end of month so if the distance control isn't sorted out by then I may have to give it a break for a bit cause that could be ugly.

I posted in another thread that I bought the Soft 11 model sight unseen, the only club I’ve bought full price in 10 years, because of the slant neck in the “flagship” 11.

Imagine my surprise when my left handed 11 model shows up and instead of a slant neck, it’s just a double bend shaft like every other fanged putter on the market. Then I go onto Cleveland’s website and there’s an asterisk, clearly added after release, that says left hand models are “double bend hosel only”. Every retailer site I’ve been to doesn’t have this after-the-fact asterisk and is selling left hand 11 models marketed as having slant necks.

Why in the world would you advertise the 11 as being offered in lefty, when clearly it isn’t? I can’t tell you how disappointing and flat out frustrating this was to me. Needless to say, I returned the putter because it wasn’t what you said it was. Seriously, there are no pictures or advertising showing an 11 type model with a double bend shaft, not that I’ve seen anyways. So disappointing.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

At this point I'm not sure whether to attribute the distance control issues to 1) getting used to a new putter, especially one without an insert, 2) playing 2 courses this week I don't play a lot, one that was drenched wet and the other that still had some frozen spots on the greens, so possibly I was just inconsistent with my normal speed control, or 3) something with the putter I don't get along with.

I'm absolutely keeping the thing in the bag for a bit to try and get this distance control sorted out as I love the confidence I have from short range and love that I no longer have a giant ugly behemoth on a stick to putt with. Should get a few more rounds in in the next couple weeks and will report back with results or to answer any questions. Bandon trip end of month so if the distance control isn't sorted out by then I may have to give it a break for a bit cause that could be ugly.

I have 3 rounds on the 11c myself and had real trouble with distance the first round but it improved greatly in rounds 2 and 3 and after I put a counter core grip on it. I have really felt like i am aiming well and better on the short putts with it so I am giving it more time in the bag. Its the first center shaft I've used in a long time and i have a hard time looking down at my other putters with offset right now

Also I can definitely feel the difference between center face contact and off center. It is mushy ( almost in a bad way) on center and more firm heel and toe

Chiming in here. Thanks to GWRX, I felt compelled to visit my local golf bazaar, just to roll the Huntington Beach 4 (the $99 offering).

I game a 1995 SC Laguna. Love it. But, damn, for under a ton, Cleveland has really hit on something. The ball rolls off that milled face

in such a way that I was scratching my head in mild amazement. Plays like a much pricier offering. Golf clap for Cleveland. Bravo.

I have 3 rounds on the 11c myself and had real trouble with distance the first round but it improved greatly in rounds 2 and 3 and after I put a counter core grip on it. I have really felt like i am aiming well and better on the short putts with it so I am giving it more time in the bag. Its the first center shaft I've used in a long time and i have a hard time looking down at my other putters with offset right now

Also I can definitely feel the difference between center face contact and off center. It is mushy ( almost in a bad way) on center and more firm heel and toe

Good call on the counter core. I just put about 55-60g of back weight into the butt of my 8.5 via lead tape wrapped lag bolt. Haven't hit any putts with it yet but it felt nice with the waggle test.

Good call on the counter core. I just put about 55-60g of back weight into the butt of my 8.5 via lead tape wrapped lag bolt. Haven't hit any putts with it yet but it felt nice with the waggle test.

I've never tried a counter weight grip, but it makes the head weight feel lighter right? At least that's how it makes sense in my head.

Not sure I'd be on board with that as this putter at 370 already feels light to me, but maybe I am not getting it.

I posted in another thread that I bought the Soft 11 model sight unseen, the only club I've bought full price in 10 years, because of the slant neck in the "flagship" 11.

Imagine my surprise when my left handed 11 model shows up and instead of a slant neck, it's just a double bend shaft like every other fanged putter on the market. Then I go onto Cleveland's website and there's an asterisk, clearly added after release, that says left hand models are "double bend hosel only". Every retailer site I've been to doesn't have this after-the-fact asterisk and is selling left hand 11 models marketed as having slant necks.

Why in the world would you advertise the 11 as being offered in lefty, when clearly it isn't? I can't tell you how disappointing and flat out frustrating this was to me. Needless to say, I returned the putter because it wasn't what you said it was. Seriously, there are no pictures or advertising showing an 11 type model with a double bend shaft, not that I've seen anyways. So disappointing.

That's weird. Because I am also a lefty and I have an 11 Soft Slant neck. I ordered it when they first became available.(I have way more putters than is good for me!)

I just checked the Cleveland web site. That disclaimer about the LH only being available in double bend wasn't there when I ordered mine. Perhaps they are just temporarily out of the LH slant necks. It does seem quite strange.

I haven’t had a chance to roll any of the new Soft line yet, but from the time they were released I’ve wanted to try the 11. After looking at some of the photos of the 11C, I’m every bit as intrigued by it. I already have 4 putters in the original Huntington Beach line (2, 3, 6C, and 8). Whenever my putting gets out of whack, I usually turn to the 6C to get straightened back out. There is something about that center shaft that makes everything seem simple. I have had it back in the bag for my past couple of rounds (including two this weekend), and made a bunch of putts both days. The 11C photo at address posted above just screams Straight Back and Straight Through to me. Going to have to find a way to get my hands on one to test out before too much longer.

A few of you have noted that there is a different sound and feel between centerface and off center strikes, but have you noticed what they call "Speed Optimized Face Technology"? They say the ball speed is constant all across the face. Are you guys finding off center hits to go the same distance as you'd expect center face contact to go?

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

Hello. I just want to start off by saying thanks to GolfWRX and Cleveland Golf for the opportunity for the chance to enter in (and win) their member testing contest. I am extremely grateful and have enjoyed the process very much. Now on to the review.

Right out of the box the putter looks absolutely beautiful. It came in exactly at my requested specs (33" length, 1 degree flat lie, Rosemark putter grip). When I was selected to test out a putter I went online to try and decide which model I liked best and I have to say that none of the online pictures does this putter justice. It is an absolute beautiful putter in person and sets up perfectly. Upon opening it I immediately rolled it on the carpet a few times and was immediately impressed with the feel as well. Very soft feel with a good amount of forgiveness. This putter was checking several boxes right out of the box. As someone has mentioned before, the only thing that seemed off was the weight. This putter does not feel like a 370 gram head. Definitely not a deal breaker for me, but just something that I thought I would note. Going back to the feel, I will also say that my previous putter was a Tour issue Scotty Cameron 5w with a welded neck and all. Let's just say that putter didn't last long because I didn't care for the feel and sound. This putter does everything I had hoped my previous putter would do and has a somewhat similar head shape at a fraction of the cost. Great job Cleveland!

In between the holidays and rainy days I was able to get a total of 5 rounds under my belt with this putter and let's just say it has definitely made its way into my bag. This is an EXTREMELY nice putter especially for the price! The feel is just as good or better than just about anything out there. Cleveland Golf really nailed it with this line. It offers great feedback on center and off center strikes. I honestly can't say one way or the other if the Speed Optimized Face Grooves have an effect on distance control, but I had absolutely no problems adjusting to this putter. It really shines on short putts for me, those seem to hold their line very well and rolls really true, which I guess some of that can be attributed to the Speed Optimized Grooves. Longer lag putting has not been better or worse than other putters, but it gets the job done without having to think about it too much. All in all I don't think that you can go wrong with this putter line. It offers a premium look, a milled putter feel with optimized grooves for added forgiveness, and different models to choose from. All at a great price! I'm not sure there's anything not to like.

I will be checking back periodically to answer any questions that you guys may have and also to update my review as things change. Please feel free to reach out to me if you need any questions answer or would like to know any other specifics about my experience with this putter. Thanks again GolfWRX and Cleveland Golf!!