Which Golf App for Apple Watch 4?

I have the Apple Watch 4.

Here are my requirements:

Reasonable battery use.

Reasonably fast GPS distance - one second or so.

Distances to hazards (on the watch, not the phone).

Shot distance.

Basic score keeping.

I don't need scoring for foursomes, handicap calculation, course tee time reservations, club selection recommendations, and the like. I just want distances and score entry, all done on the watch with reliability and reasonable battery usage.

I have tried The Grint. Distances are not accurate. Contacted their customer service and they acknowledge the problem with Apple Watch and say they are working on it. Excellent customer service, incidentally, timely and no nonsense or runarounds.

I have tried Hole 19. Excellent, except no distances to hazards on watch (phone only).

I am willing to pay for the service if it gives me what I need.

I am looking to try Golfshot next, but would like to know ahead of time if it will satisfy my needs, as it is 30 bucks. I would also appreciate knowing if there are others that will satisfy my needs.

I've been using Golfshot for years and really like it. The paid version should meet all your requirements, don't judge based on the free version, which doesn't give a good picture of the paid version imo. I like the ease of use and the ability to take screenshots on my scorecards and share them easily through social media after. Other apps have sharing features but I found the screenshots from Golfshot the easiest vs links or other app's screenshot view.

Keep an eye on their twitter as they sometimes give 50% off deals, believe these only work for new customers.

Well worth the $30/year imo, though I'm thinking of trying Arccos this year

Have you checked out Fun Golf? Works well on Apple Watch 3 and uses the watch’s gps. There is an annual fee but it’s reasonable. Probably worth checking out.

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311 P w/accra  5-gap 
54* & 58* PXG Forged
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

I have tried Hole 19. Excellent, except no distances to hazards on watch (phone only).

this irks me the most about hole19. as odd as it seems, I think the golfnow gps has distance to (some) hazards on the watch iirc....but I think I tried it and I wanted more data for free with the scorekeeping that I couldn't get from golfnow.

I've been using Golfshot for years and really like it. The paid version should meet all your requirements, don't judge based on the free version, which doesn't give a good picture of the paid version imo. I like the ease of use and the ability to take screenshots on my scorecards and share them easily through social media after. Other apps have sharing features but I found the screenshots from Golfshot the easiest vs links or other app's screenshot view.

Keep an eye on their twitter as they sometimes give 50% off deals, believe these only work for new customers.

I tried Golfshot yesterday. I used the free 7-day paid version. It satisfied all of my requirements, with a couple of quibbles.

It used about 60% of my watch battery. I charge my watch nightly and 40% easily gets me through the day so this isn't a problem if it doesn't get worse.

It took the GPS up to three seconds to stabilize. Not nearly as good as Hole 19, but not terrible.

I was annoyed that I couldn't modify the default score and putts - then I found that you do this with the watch crown. A bit funky in comparison to tapping up/down arrows on the watch face, but not a problem.

I really like the use of force touch to bring up the advanced features!

I used the app in standalone mode.

Is this consistent with your experience with Golfshot, or am I missing something?

Keep an eye on their twitter as they sometimes give 50% off deals, believe these only work for new customers. https://twitter.com/...887584345546753

I tried Golfshot yesterday. I used the free 7-day paid version. It satisfied all of my requirements, with a couple of quibbles.

It used about 60% of my watch battery. I charge my watch nightly and 40% easily gets me through the day so this isn't a problem if it doesn't get worse.

It took the GPS up to three seconds to stabilize. Not nearly as good as Hole 19, but not terrible.

I was annoyed that I couldn't modify the default score and putts - then I found that you do this with the watch crown. A bit funky in comparison to tapping up/down arrows on the watch face, but not a problem.

Is this consistent with your experience with Golfshot, or am I missing something?

Sorry I just use the app on the iPhone, don't have the Apple Watch and don't/can't play w/ a watch on.

Aadadams, I thought that I was set with Golfshot but today the time it took the watch to find satellites was terrible. So I am interested in Fun Golf. This is aGolfshot issue, as the watch was lightning fast on Hole 19.

I cannot see from the Fun Golf website how I see hazard distances on the watch. How do you do this? Other than this it really looks nice, and they claim that they are the fastest on giving distances.

I do not see a free trial. Do you know anything about this?

Keep an eye on their twitter as they sometimes give 50% off deals, believe these only work for new customers. https://twitter.com/...887584345546753

I'm on my 2nd year with Golfshot and find it just keeps getting better. I used an Apple Watch 4 and seldom look at the phone while playing.

Aadadams, I thought that I was set with Golfshot but today the time it took the watch to find satellites was terrible. So I am interested in Fun Golf. This is aGolfshot issue, as the watch was lightning fast on Hole 19.

I cannot see from the Fun Golf website how I see hazard distances on the watch. How do you do this? Other than this it really looks nice, and they claim that they are the fastest on giving distances.

Take a look here: https://watchaware.com/watch-apps/521998621 at the apple watch images below. the dot in the center of the green is the yardage in the corner. Using the crown, you can back away from the green to get distance to and to clear hazards along the fairway really quickly. No diving into menus etc. Unfortunately, there is not free trial. I bought 3 apps and continue to pay for this one annually, while no one size will fit all you can start with a smaller pool of test subjects...

Take a look here: https://watchaware.com/watch-apps/521998621 at the apple watch images below. the dot in the center of the green is the yardage in the corner. Using the crown, you can back away from the green to get distance to and to clear hazards along the fairway really quickly. No diving into menus etc. Unfortunately, there is not free trial. I bought 3 apps and continue to pay for this one annually, while no one size will fit all you can start with a smaller pool of test subjects...

I actually decided last night to buy the app. It is not expensive. I used it for a round today. It is the best watch based app I have found so far. The Grint distances never did settle when using the watch (The Grint is working on a resolution to the problem). Golfshot distances settle slowly and unreliably on the watch. Fun Golf distances settle by the time I get my wrist raised, and they seem very accurate. I compared them on several occasions with my laser. I really like the visual interface and the way that I can see the distance to any point. I don’t understand why the link that you sent me says that you go to a spot using the watch crown. I just scrolled with the touch screen. So nice! Not only is the first app that actually works right(!), it has no obvious flaws. I see Fun Golf is only for IOS devices. Seems that this would seriously limit their market...

I'm glad it worked for you. The crown is more precise for me that using the screen, so maybe that was a bit of bias on my part.

Great recommendation. The more I use it the more I like it. It does everything I need, and the integration with the Apple Watch is pretty flawless.

The one problem that I have found is the mapping on a couple of holes on one of my courses. Normally the distances are in excellent agreement with my laser, but there are problems on one course. I wrote to Fun Golf and explained the problems. I haven't heard a word back. I used their email. Do they not take input re. mapping errors?

I play older courses with stable layouts... So, I haven’t run into this problem. I hope they respond, but my guess is the individual course data is purchased by FunGolf. Whoever they get it from needs to update their database. Do let me know if they respond, and if they can fix it.

Ha, I just found the Fun Golf reply in my Spam folder. They fixed my course mapping problem in a matter of a few days. I haven’t played the course, so I can’t confirm 100%, but I’m really happy. Very responsive support!!

I like to write my scores and stats down on the card, so never investigated that... I literally fire it up and look for distance with the raised wrist activation 99% of the time. if there’s a hazard to avoid... I’ll scroll with the crown easier for me the torch screen scrolling and my fat fingers don’t always agree. Glad to hear they were quick to “fix” your issue. Funny, but that makes me like the app even more!

• 2 weeks later...

Reasonable battery use.

Shot distance.

Basic score keeping.

I don't need scoring for foursomes, handicap calculation, course tee time reservations, club selection recommendations, and the like. I just want distances and score entry, all done on the watch with reliability and reasonable battery usage.

I have tried The Grint. Distances are not accurate. Contacted their customer service and they acknowledge the problem with Apple Watch and say they are working on it. Excellent customer service, incidentally, timely and no nonsense or runarounds.

I am looking to try Golfshot next, but would like to know ahead of time if it will satisfy my needs, as it is 30 bucks. I would also appreciate knowing if there are others that will satisfy my needs.

Reasonable battery use.

Shot distance.

Basic score keeping.

I have tried about 5-6 different apps and found "track my golf" to be the nest app for the Apple Watch. It addresses many of your concerns but I think you already bought golf shot but just try the free version and see how it compares.

Nope, I didn't buy Golfshot. I did the free trial and found that the GPS settle times were terrible. I ended up with Fun Golf GPS and I love it. It is blazingly fast, accurate, has a beautiful graphic display, has a terrific feature that gives you the distance to any point on the hole, seems to be glitch-free, and uses the watch GPS even when the watch is tethered to the phone via Bluetooth. I highly recommend it.

• 1 month later...

I have about 10 months left on my subscription. I haven't noticed any change. I played a round on Friday and it worked normally. I continue to love the app - accurate, fast, distances to any point, shot distance measurement, and glitch free.

I have no idea what their strategy is. Will it only work with TagHauer watches in the future? I hate the thought of having to find another app when this one is perfect for my needs.

They will have an Apple watch app, but the first iteration of the app limits the features. So, people that paid for fun golf can't see what Tag Golf has to offer... One thing I already don't like is that it requires you to download a course on the phone before loading it on the watch. ...before telling you that without a current Tag Golf subscription they wont't connect to each other. All of this could change over the last months of our fun golf subscriptions, and I for one sure hope it does!

• 4 weeks later...

Any other good apps for the Apple Watch series 4? I tried Track My Golf, and that was an absolute rip off. Charged me for the first month and the yardages don’t even show up on my watch, keeps saying it’s trying to connect. The company won’t respond to email either....guess I should have read the istore reviews before I purchased.

Paradym 3D Swing Balance Yellow
Ping G430 LST 3w Ventus Red 8X

Ping G430 Max 7w Ventus Red 8X

PXG Gen6 0311P 4-G, SteelFiber PR

Edel SMS 54* & 60*

L.A.B. DF2.1 Stability Tour

> @PT1911 said:

> Any other good apps for the Apple Watch series 4? I tried Track My Golf, and that was an absolute rip off. Charged me for the first month and the yardages don’t even show up on my watch, keeps saying it’s trying to connect. The company won’t respond to email either....guess I should have read the istore reviews before I purchased.

If you can still get Fun Golf I highly recommend it. As you can see above I tried The Grint, Hole 19, and Golfshot. They all had issues as far as I am concerned. Fun Golf OTOH just works perfectly on Watch 4, every time, no glitches. I want distances to hazards and shot distances, and it gives me everything that I need. I have no idea if it is still available now that Tag H. bought it.

• Like 1