Cold Weather Golfing - How Was Your Round

Naptime

Got up to almost 50 in Chicago yesterday. Absolutely perfect weather. Played 9 holes and honestly hit the ball as good as ever, especially with my irons. All the indoor practice this winter has certainly paid off.

I just moved to Chicago a few months ago from the south and am new to indoor practicing, can you recommend a few places?

DGAnderson - what area in/around Chicago do you live in?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played outside Chicago last week when it was in the mid 40*s...I ask the pro shop guy what to expect on the course, and he says approach shots are bouncing 10+ feet in the air. The first tee was so frozen, I broke 3 tees trying to tee up the ball, so I believed the warning. First hole approach is about 145 to a back pin from middle of fairway. I club down to land just in front of the green - about 120 yds. The ball stopped dead in its pitch mark. It took a chip and 3 putts to get down for a double bogey on a green running about negative 3 on the stimp.

Second hole: 90-ish yard approach on a par 5. Decide to land the ball on the front of the green and play for the big hop. The ball stops within a foot of its pitch mark on the heavily sanded green. 3 more putts on shag carpeting masquerading as a green.

Played the rest of the course straight up in terms of carry into the greens, and virtually every ball stopped within 5-8 feet of its pitch mark. After getting the green speeds dialed in, the rest of the putting day was much better.

Just glad to be playing any kind of golf in December/January in Chicago!

Enjoyed a rare January round in Michigan yesterday. Near 50 degrees and sunny. Walked 18 with a couple buddies while having beers and cigars plus a few whiskey flask pulls for birdies.

Great day yesterday here around Detroit. Got in 18 with our foursome. This was my third round since December 23. Loving this great weather.

Where did u play?

Fox Hills in Plymouth. The (3) nines at the Classic course are usually open all year round... unless it is just too wet.

Enjoyed a rare January round in Michigan yesterday. Near 50 degrees and sunny. Walked 18 with a couple buddies while having beers and cigars plus a few whiskey flask pulls for birdies.

Great day yesterday here around Detroit. Got in 18 with our foursome. This was my third round since December 23. Loving this great weather.

Where did u play?

Fox Hills in Plymouth. The (3) nines at the Classic course are usually open all year round... unless it is just too wet.

Gotcha. That's a bit of a hike from me in Lake Orion. I ended up playing The Fountains in Clarkston and it was in surprisingly good shape.

Lovely day in mid-Maryland yesterday, and I was able to hit balls for only the third time since my accident. Spent about and hour-and-a-half on the range and chipping area mostly focusing on target visualization and pre-shot routine. Had lunch at the bar (turkey club and a diet coke) and then spent another 30 minutes on the putting green. The sun came out about 1:30. Nice day. Probably the last one we'll have here for several weeks.

Jury duty cut short because the case settled before jury selection.

I got to play weekday golf!

44F, super foggy from the rain over night to am.

Walked alone first 8 holes then 3 seniors in jeans adopted me.

Really enjoyed playing with those gentlemen.

They even offer me to join their regular Friday golf but unfortunately I have to work.

Hope to run into them again.

10c, overcast, breezy. My favourite course, Kirtlington. Had a very nice game - I'm beginning to think that my swing work is paying off. I only had two push fades and they were both on the back nine when I was trying to over swing. The last drive on the 18th was beautiful. I even got a birdie on one hole with a great drive and an awesome 3 hybrid to the green. Only issue I noticed was that my approaches were still a bit short. I think my new swing is imparting more backspin as the balls aren't running up the green like they used to. They pretty much stop where they've landed.

Came away with a rather nice +17 or 87 overall.

Unfortunately my new golf trolley appears to have stripped a gear so that'll have to be sent off for repair. Mildly annoying but knowing them there's a possibility they'll just drop a new trolley off when they pick the old one up.

10c, overcast, breezy. My favourite course, Kirtlington. Had a very nice game - I'm beginning to think that my swing work is paying off. I only had two push fades and they were both on the back nine when I was trying to over swing. The last drive on the 18th was beautiful. I even got a birdie on one hole with a great drive and an awesome 3 hybrid to the green. Only issue I noticed was that my approaches were still a bit short. I think my new swing is imparting more backspin as the balls aren't running up the green like they used to. They pretty much stop where they've landed.

Unfortunately my new golf trolley appears to have stripped a gear so that'll have to be sent off for repair. Mildly annoying but knowing them there's a possibility they'll just drop a new trolley off when they pick the old one up.

The only time I got any rollout playing winter golf in the UK was when the ground was frozen. Otherwise, it was just too wet.

We are officially shut down in Northeastern Ohio until the next warm up. Bummer! Love my winter golf and we had a GREAT run this year. BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

The only time I got any rollout playing winter golf in the UK was when the ground was frozen. Otherwise, it was just too wet.

Yeah, I'm sure that's a factor. But usually I expect a little roll-out all year round because I don't generally hit high balls. With my new swing though I'm hitting wedges that launch the ball quite nicely. It's going to be interesting adapting to the changes as spring rolls around.

Yeah, I'm sure that's a factor. But usually I expect a little roll-out all year round because I don't generally hit high balls. With my new swing though I'm hitting wedges that launch the ball quite nicely. It's going to be interesting adapting to the changes as spring rolls around.

Sounds like you've got a better ball flight now. Just club up!

Have had a few under 80 rounds in past 10 days and cant post them due to inactive period here in Maryland.

Also an 84 and 83.

I have noticed that the winter temps and wind may hurt a golfers game but the greens being more forgiving can help a golfer.

Now its all that white stuff. Watching the web.com at emerald bay. This is torture

i played steady golf thru Jan 9.(Super wet winter mud season on dormant bermuda, most rain in 2018 in over 100 years ) WE have 12 inches of snow on the ground now and more coming. Its the dead of winter and spring cant come fast enough. It will take forever to melt unless we get a warm rain followed by a week of dry weather.

Starting times pushed back a bit this morning...

Same for me in Cincinnati, Ohio..

I think I'm done for Month of January.. It's going to get colder, which means that the snow isn't going anywhere soon..

Sucks..

Yep. Here in the mid-Atlantic we're expecting ultra-cold temperatures for the next 6-8 weeks. We're not going to see much grass until March.

Booked Sunday's round today. Predicted to be overcast, 4c max and 8mph wind. We're playing Rye Hill which as the name implies isn't very sheltered. So it'll be a pair of winter gloves which is unlikely to help my score. But at least I'm getting onto the course :)

4c, dull with some sun. No wind. Ground was soft but not muddy. Ended up +19 for 91 which was pretty good. My driver continues to go well and my wedges continue to come up short. Putting was good. Definitely looking forward to what I can do in better conditions.

I have been able to get out, but there is a LOT of mud and now very cold (yesterday the temp with windchill never made it above 15F). I see nothing in the next 10 days that resembles golf. I had found a pretty good groove after the first of 4 lessons I have booked. 2 rounds in a row under par but Friday it was cold and windy and I threw an 80 on an easy course.

The thing I am most looking forward to is my next lesson. The pro went to Mexico for 3 weeks which did give me time to work on lesson 1. He should be back next week and I am really looking forward to lesson 2. I probably hit less than 10 shots during the first lesson, but with video that was enough for him to identify my biggest problem (not what I thought but pictures don't lie) and suggest how to fix it. So far paying big dividends with more distance and better dispersion. Winters are a great time for me to take lessons. The weather slows me down enough to work on the game instead of playing golf.

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

Played at one of the courses I'm a member of today - The Chase just outside Cannock. Was about 3 degrees, a bit foggy, very little wind and generally very cold and miserable. Course was very playable though, fairways fairly firm and very receptive greens. Playing off full greens and tees, with the exception of the Par 3s which were on decent mats.

Only went for 9 as I hurt my back go karting in the week and didn't want to push it after a range session yesterday, but walked off 36 shots later (par 37) with an enormous grin on my face. All the work I've been doing on my game has started paying off, as I hit every fairway and got up and down 5 times (100% success rate).

Just need to figure out how to do it in a comp now lol

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen