Titleist TS3 vs Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero vs TM M5

hypergolf

TS3 is a monster. Beat everything on the market for me in October.

Haven't tried M5 or Flash, honestly not even tempted. All the reviewers have already shown there is nothing special in them. Seems like we are back to the high launch/low spin phenomenon for extra distance. M5 added no ballspeed from what i saw.

TS3 was 3mph faster than 2nd place for me. I swing 116-118

Is high launch and low spin a bad combo? Is it less forgiving and more erratic? Can you please explain pros and cons? Genuinely interested in learning.

Haven't tried M5 or Flash, honestly not even tempted. All the reviewers have already shown there is nothing special in them. Seems like we are back to the high launch/low spin phenomenon for extra distance. M5 added no ballspeed from what i saw.

Is high launch and low spin a bad combo? Is it less forgiving and more erratic? Can you please explain pros and cons? Genuinely interested in learning.

High launch and low spin is a brilliant combination but drivers that specailise in that tend to be less forgiving. The prime example is the Taylor Made SLDR which seemed to really usher in the high spin/low launch generation. It was brilliant if you had the speed and put a good swing on it. If you struck it badly it was one of the least forgiving drivers you could find.

My understanding is that create low launch and high spin the centre of gravity needs to be further forward in the head. That reduces the MOI. More forgiving drivers tend to have the centre of gravity further back.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

For me, the TS3 has been the longest and most forgiving driver I have hit to date. I will hit the Flash SZ and M5 when they come out, but I seriously doubt they will a huge amount better. Plus I like the all black head on the TS range, not to keen on the colors, lines and graphics on the other two. Just my $.02.

These 2 posts sum up it's performance perfectly. The TS3 is the best driver I have used to date and it looks great. Fastest ball speeds I have ever seen for my swing and it's very low spin. Even more impressive is that it gives me consistent (higher) launch, something I missed last year with the G400.

We've hit them all so I'll give you a little summary.

TS3 is a huge improvement in Titleist drivers. It brings them a lot closer than they have been to Callaway and Taylormade, especially in controlling spin. Ball speed is also quite respectable. They have not caught up but they are a lot closer than ever. Mid spin guys can now look at Titleist as an option when it used to really be only low spin players unless they wanted to give up 15+ yards.

Epic Flash SZ is basically the same club as the original SZ with a bit better off center ball speed with their new face design. It's not massively better, but it's an improvement.

M5 is going to give you the same high end of the industry ball speeds that Taylormade always produced, as well as even lower spin numbers from the previous generation. Twist face works no matter what anyone says and even the slightest advantage is worth having.

Overall every company is going to claim more ball speed every year but the CT is maxed out so any additional ball speed is very small and best. However they do keep finding ways to keep the mishits cloer to and farther down the fairway. Anyone claiming huge ball speed jumps either had a dud head or a misfit set up for them previously. 1-3 mph MAX is all you'll see assuming apples to apples on specs.

TS3 is a huge improvement in Titleist drivers. It brings them a lot closer than they have been to Callaway and Taylormade, especially in controlling spin. Ball speed is also quite respectable. They have not caught up but they are a lot closer than ever. Mid spin guys can now look at Titleist as an option when it used to really be only low spin players unless they wanted to give up 15+ yards.

Epic Flash SZ is basically the same club as the original SZ with a bit better off center ball speed with their new face design. It's not massively better, but it's an improvement.

M5 is going to give you the same high end of the industry ball speeds that Taylormade always produced, as well as even lower spin numbers from the previous generation. Twist face works no matter what anyone says and even the slightest advantage is worth having.

Overall every company is going to claim more ball speed every year but the CT is maxed out so any additional ball speed is very small and best. However they do keep finding ways to keep the mishits cloer to and farther down the fairway. Anyone claiming huge ball speed jumps either had a dud head or a misfit set up for them previously. 1-3 mph MAX is all you'll see assuming apples to apples on specs.

I know shaft testing is your wheel house. But, when you guys test these heads, do you collect similar data? Is there any chance of said data making its way here? I think you guys do a great job of representing different speeds and your testers do a good job of verbally describing the results.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Looks like the Scottish Golf magazine Bunkered, has been taking note of WRX, this was just posted 20 minutes ago -

I've not watched it yet but thought some of you guys might like to take a look at it.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Looks like the Scottish Golf magazine Bunkered, has been taking note of WRX, this was just posted 20 minutes ago -

I've not watched it yet but thought some of you guys might like to take a look at it.

Thanks for posting that. As kind of expected. They are all within a few mph's and yards to one another.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

That mean it's all about forgiveness then? He say the m5 is the most forgiving?

For those that dont want to waste your time, in summary, they are all great driver, he picked the epic sz, which was 4 yards longer.

Pick the one you like the best and get fit.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

I think you'll find very few people who've had a chance to hit all 3....

What I will say is this...

Titleist's improvement from 917D2/D3 to TS2/TS3 was a much bigger progression than Rogue -> Flash or M3 -> M5.

I honestly had such a bad taste in my mouth from the 915 series that I never even tried the 917. After a while, I noticed that it was getting some good feedback. Was it a dog for most? It can be had for a steal now. Plus, it is a beautiful driver. I'm contemplating grabbing one for craps and giggles.

I had similar experience. I did hit the TS line. Totally different. Very amazing.

I have purchased a Rogue SZ late last year for an incredible deal and so I am not in the market for a new driver. Epic Flash tech looks legit. G410 could be a show stopper.

For me, the TS3 has been the longest and most forgiving driver I have hit to date. I will hit the Flash SZ and M5 when they come out, but I seriously doubt they will a huge amount better. Plus I like the all black head on the TS range, not to keen on the colors, lines and graphics on the other two. Just my $.02.

These 2 posts sum up it's performance perfectly. The TS3 is the best driver I have used to date and it looks great. Fastest ball speeds I have ever seen for my swing and it's very low spin. Even more impressive is that it gives me consistent (higher) launch, something I missed last year with the G400.

I had the problem of hitting the G400 too high. TS is amazing. Let me know if you want to sell that G400...

I know shaft testing is your wheel house. But, when you guys test these heads, do you collect similar data? Is there any chance of said data making its way here? I think you guys do a great job of representing different speeds and your testers do a good job of verbally describing the results.

We test everything, and I mean everything. Long term durability of golf bags, shirts, shoes, etc. We test golf ball performance and durability, shafts, heads, etc. If it's golf, there's a customer that submits it for testing so we are very familiar with every form of equipment testing.

As for the data, the issue is that the customer who presents the product, legally owns the data. That handcuffs us on being able to release it. We generally will retest product on our own, which is what you see in the site here, but we generally have embargos on any data gained with new products and this needs to be cleared with the client before we can post anything data related. It's a legal process we are bound to, which is why we don't post a lot more. Saying all that, you'll see the M5 and M6 hard data when we have the Tour heads in stock in about 5-6 weeks.

We test everything, and I mean everything. Long term durability of golf bags, shirts, shoes, etc. We test golf ball performance and durability, shafts, heads, etc. If it's golf, there's a customer that submits it for testing so we are very familiar with every form of equipment testing.

As for the data, the issue is that the customer who presents the product, legally owns the data. That handcuffs us on being able to release it. We generally will retest product on our own, which is what you see in the site here, but we generally have embargos on any data gained with new products and this needs to be cleared with the client before we can post anything data related. It's a legal process we are bound to, which is why we don't post a lot more. Saying all that, you'll see the M5 and M6 hard data when we have the Tour heads in stock in about 5-6 weeks.

Didn't realize that. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a cool job! Totally understand the legalities of it all. Look forward to the M5 and M6 data though.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Just a few years ago TM drivers were by far the leaders when it came to distance. You would have one or two other OEMs every year that would have a driver that were close distance wise and slightly more forgiving they were rare and OEMs that could match TM would vary year by year. I hated to admit it at the time but it was 100% true.

When Callaway released the Epic line two years ago the game changed. They matched TM step for step with distance and forgiveness and were both a step ahead of every other OEM.

2018 it seems that every OEM figured out how to match these two. Ping, Cobra, Titleist, Srixon, Mizuno, TEE, hell even Wilson figured out how to match TM and Callaway. The game has changed....

Its more than safe to say that for 2019 the three drivers you mentioned will be equal so it will come down to looks and feel.

My problem with the TS3 was that it spun too much. And this was when I was swinging my club 101mph (now about 115mph, so I assume it will spin way more). I was hitting the TS3 with Smoke 6.5 shaft about 2600 RPM, while I was hitting my Epic SZ (not Flash) 1800 RPM with front weight 12g and rear 2g and GP6-X shaft.

I really liked the TS3, but spun too much. Will give it another shot at Club Champion fitting coming up this month next to the Epic Flash and other offerings. We will see...

How did you pick up 14 mph club of head speed in such a short period of time?

It was just a commitment to gain swing speed. I was about 110mph 3 years ago, then injury last year got me down to 101mph. Finally healed my injury (for most part) and worked out a ton, ate healthy, and committed to gaining swing speed. Swinging hard, overspeed training, etc. But one of the biggest difference makers was a major swing change as well. I gained back a lot of what I lost, and then some. A whole lot of gym/fitness and dedication. In the end, it was very hard work.

Glad you are back healthy! Interested to see how your fitting turns out. I’d have a hard time making claims about something spinning too much for me if I was injured or just coming off injury. I have no dog in this fight. I play an M3 and Titleist fw, hybrid and irons

Just a few years ago TM drivers were by far the leaders when it came to distance. You would have one or two other OEMs every year that would have a driver that were close distance wise and slightly more forgiving they were rare and OEMs that could match TM would vary year by year. I hated to admit it at the time but it was 100% true.

When Callaway released the Epic line two years ago the game changed. They matched TM step for step with distance and forgiveness and were both a step ahead of every other OEM.

2018 it seems that every OEM figured out how to match these two. Ping, Cobra, Titleist, Srixon, Mizuno, TEE, hell even Wilson figured out how to match TM and Callaway. The game has changed....

Its more than safe to say that for 2019 the three drivers you mentioned will be equal so it will come down to looks and feel.

This 100%. Why I'll be going the ST190

My problem with the TS3 was that it spun too much. And this was when I was swinging my club 101mph (now about 115mph, so I assume it will spin way more). I was hitting the TS3 with Smoke 6.5 shaft about 2600 RPM, while I was hitting my Epic SZ (not Flash) 1800 RPM with front weight 12g and rear 2g and GP6-X shaft.

I really liked the TS3, but spun too much. Will give it another shot at Club Champion fitting coming up this month next to the Epic Flash and other offerings. We will see...

How did you pick up 14 mph club of head speed in such a short period of time?

It was just a commitment to gain swing speed. I was about 110mph 3 years ago, then injury last year got me down to 101mph. Finally healed my injury (for most part) and worked out a ton, ate healthy, and committed to gaining swing speed. Swinging hard, overspeed training, etc. But one of the biggest difference makers was a major swing change as well. I gained back a lot of what I lost, and then some. A whole lot of gym/fitness and dedication. In the end, it was very hard work.

Glad you are back healthy! Interested to see how your fitting turns out. I'd have a hard time making claims about something spinning too much for me if I was injured or just coming off injury. I have no dog in this fight. I play an M3 and Titleist fw, hybrid and irons

Just to clarify, I had a nagging injury for over a year and played that way all year (pretty successfully too). Over that time my swing got slower and slower (100mph), probably subconsciously to protect myself from injuring further. I still hit my Epic SZ with GP 6x shaft 1800rpms on Trackman while TS3 with Smoke 6.5 was 2600+rpms. I know shafts make a difference, but both those models are supposed to be low spin (albeit GP is lower).

Over that period of time, I was also hitting my irons a little too low.

Now I got my swing speed back up over 110mph and everything goes way higher and I would assume even more spin. But I will keep an open mind. It is very possible that the smoke shaft just spun too much for my swing. Sad part is that I hit that combo perfectly during the demo day. Just felt right to me. Either way I am sure CC will fit me properly into something out there.

On gcquad the Hzrdus smoke 6.5 spun average of 2400

The GP6S (stiff! Not even X) spun 1950

Both same TS3 head.

The GP, for me, was much lower spin. Too low considering the lower launch I saw.

The feel may change my release or something, but I promise you those shafts aren’t even close to comparable... at least not for me.

Titleist TSR3 - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Rogue LS - 15* - Tour ADXC 7x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - KBS Tour 120 Wedge

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft TruTrack (Winter)
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

Each time I have been fitted indoors and pay attention to numbers the result on course is always different. I wanted to love and continue to game my M3 with my go to shaft. With the Exact same driver head weight, swing weight, Shaft length and loft the M3 was longer by 9 yards indoors on monitors. I went onto the course with that outlook, but on course in the "real world" the TS3 is longer and straighter. The misses with the TS3 are much better than M3.

• Qi10- Kai’li White 60TX
  • Tsi3 5W -  Tensei White 70X
  • P790 3I - AD DI
  • P7TW 4-PW -  $ Taper
  • MG4 52 - 58 - $ Taper
  • GoodWood 
  • TP5X

Say what you will about Crossfield, but his message in every driver review is the same and pretty much hits the nail on the head.

1. Test clubs for yourself. Someone else's results or opinions to include his own, while they might be entertaining, are of little or no value in determining what will work best for you.

2. When you find a club you particularly like, get fit for it.

3. All the major OEM's make a great product, and any performance differences between them are negligible (hence he goes on and on about 262).

4. If you want a new club simply because you want a shiny new toy, that's a perfectly legitimate reason to buy.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Now...I have hit the TS stuff. Its alright, but it just doesnt perform as well as I thought it would. I thought the feel was ok at best. Swingweight felt odd to me, maybe too light. Im pulling it off the rack, so Im comparing to Cobra, Cally, and TM off the rack.

Well there's your problem... Titleist woods are not going to work off the rack, you need to be fitted unless you know your specs and what shaft. Comparing their woods off the rack is like driving a car with the seat and mirrors not adjusted for you.

Ya know...ive always felt that Ive been shortchanging the other drivers out there because Im putting in nice shafts that work for my game in Callaway heads. The Callaway has the advantage. Its not a fair test. Ive tried to use the same shaft for each head the best I can, but I swear, Callaways shaft offerings are better tipped for me.

Only once did I find a driver that actually gave me better numbers and it was the M1 in 2016 vs my DBD 815 Callaway. I had to buy the M1, and then of course...The Epic has been bagged for 2 seasons.

Epic Flash is the frontrunner, but theres a shot that an M5-6 or the TS2-3 get looked at extensively

I think it happens a lot, you go to the golf store and you battle it out. For me, the Callaway clubs usually win. My loyalty is strong to Callaway.

King Cobra Forged Tec and p790 taught me a bit about the benefits of these distance players irons. Apex Pro here I come.

I'm 2 out of 3 for your requested drivers:

TS3 w Tensei CK Orange Pro - Not sure how it all happened but this combo is a rocket launcher. Sound, distance, and feel are out of this world. Putting the heavier weight in the head with the counter-balanced Orange made things even better.

Epic Flash SZ Tour AD DI - I pretty much got the same results as my Rogue SZ. Biggest difference for me was sound. Rogue is more muted.

Youve gained 14 mph SS?

Youve gained 14 mph SS?

Yep. Finally healed an injury and was able to get back to working on swing the right way. Regained ~8 mph to get back to where I was, and then another 6 mph from hard work, swing change, fitness, stretching, conscious effort to increase swing speed, and more hard work. Anybody can gain a good amount of swing speed in very short amount of time (with very hard work). You just have to find the low hanging fruit and improve on it.

Youve gained 14 mph SS?

Yep. Finally healed an injury and was able to get back to working on swing the right way. Regained ~8 mph to get back to where I was, and then another 6 mph from hard work, swing change, fitness, stretching, conscious effort to increase swing speed, and more hard work. Anybody can gain a good amount of swing speed in very short amount of time (with very hard work). You just have to find the low hanging fruit and improve on it.

Any chance you'd be willing to share some of the things you did? I fractured my ankle last year and have lost ~5-7 mph. I'm working on the swing and stretching more, but I'm not sure I'm working on the "right" things. Would love to learn from your experience, so any details are appreciated. Feel free to DM me. Thx.

Audi A-Fore

Titleist TSR3 10* (D4), GD UB-6S

Cobra LTDx 15* HZRDUS Blue S (@ 16* )
TM M2 18*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S
Titleist 816 21*, Tensei Blue S
Mizuno 223 Nippon Modus 105s (5-GW)

Titleist Vokey 54*
Titleist Vokey Gunblue 58* M Grind, 58* Low Bounce K
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1.5 (2010), On the Bench: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Titleist is late to the game and they still dont have a piece of equipment that can best the Callaway and Taylormade offerings. All their stuff is very nice looking, but I dont see any performance benefits.. ever.

Looking forward to hitting the new Cally and TM offerings.

Until I hit the TS3 driver earlier this year, I would've 100% agreed with you on every Titleist club I had ever hit up until that point, with the exception of 906F2. Every other Titleist club just didn't agree with me for whatever reason, and there always seemed to be a better option from Taylor or Cally. At least for me. Then I hit the TS3.

Is it the longest? Maybe, maybe not. For me, though, it's way better than what I saw with M3/M4 or Rogue (none of those worked for me at all), and it bested my 2017 M1 440 Tour by enough that it's now in my bag sporting that beautiful TS headcover. And it's definitely a big step up over 917D3, which I demo'd extensively last year and couldn't come close to my M1. It's funny - I've always wanted to love Titleist clubs, but none of them ever performed well enough for me (again, except 906F2) to allow me to actually love them - until the TS3 driver.

As for the TS fairways, the jury is still out for me. They're definitely good, but just not as much an improvement over the 917 fairways as the TS3 was over the 917D3, if that makes sense. And compared to my CBX, it was close but just not quite good enough. The only thing that's beaten my CBX is the new Cobra F9 Tour fairway, but that's another story.

Believe me, I'm no Titleist fan boy - never have been and probably never will be. In fact, if you'd told me last year that I'd have a Titleist driver in my bag at the start of 2019, I woud've laughed you out of the room. But now the TS3 is in my bag, and I'm laughing for a very different reason.

Just my experience, but I think Titleist has a winner with TS3.