How many of you carry 5 wedges?

rxk9fan

If you do, I would love to hear what they are and how you justify that bag makeup.

I am questioning my decision to reduce the long end of the bag to Driver/3W/4i in order to bag a 48/52/56/60/64.

In my mind at least for now, partial wedge shots have cost me more than giving up my 3i. Half wedges from soggy winter/spring conditions cost me more shots than they should!

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I did very briefly. Only because OEM's are shoving distance down our throat and have been over there course of a few years, when you dip into sets that have a 42°/44° PW, it becomes more difficult to not carry that many wedges, especially those players who bag a wedge 59°+, you could easily game 5. Most sets that have the 42°/44° PW have an AW or GW that the majority of players do not like, so in most cases, they will purchase another brands wedge on preferences alone. It's becoming more common.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

Just shows how we're all different... I've been thinking of adding another wedge to my 45PW, 50, 54, 58. I don't use fairways but have 3 hybrids 2 / 3 / 4.

Been thinking I could drop the 2 and play a 62 or 64 wedge. I know it wouldn't get used that often but then the 2 hybrid rarely gets used. I hit the 3 better and as far.

But... I'm not adding the extra wedge for the same reasons as you - sounds like you like full shots on wedges whereas I rarely hit a full 50, hardly ever a full 54 and never a full 58 lol.

If I have to go over 100 yards I'll pull PW and play 3/4s. And same throughout the rest. I never push wedges to the max but that's me. I'm more likely to pull, chunk or thin a full shot than I am a 1/2 or 3/4 shot where I feel more in control

Guilty as charged ... for some courses. 45-50-55-60-64. 64 or 6 iron dropped at times

Another set I go 45-50-54-58-62

Though right now in Florida I am 46-53-59.

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I have, and I even did it with only 3° gaps at one point: 60, 57, 54, 51, 48

Here's the thing, if you aren't tracking your strokes gained and then calculating how much each shot is actually costing you per round, they you don't really know what to do or not to do.

For instance, I'm a pretty bad partial wedge player from 70 - 80 yards (-0.42 SG/shot) and still poor, but a better 90 - 100 yard wedge player (-0.32 SG/shot). But, over the past year, I have faced more than twice the number of 90 - 100 yard shots than ones from 70 - 80 yards. So, my strokes gained per round from 70 - 80 yards is only -0.15 whereas my strokes gained per round from 90 - 100 yards is -0.27.

I can save almost twice as many strokes PER ROUND (the real goal) practicing shots from 90 - 100 yards than I can from 70 - 80 yards, even though I'm worse from 70 - 80 yards. Once you have some stats like this to look at, then you can start to really get down to brass tacks when it comes to bag setup. And once you are there, you have to answer the question of whether more wedges does or doesn't help your partial wedge game. And while you should be able to get a very good idea about this on the practice tee and preferably with some targets or a launch monitor, but it really can't be definitively answered until you get on course, in game situations, where you keep the stats and see what really happens under the gun, so to speak.

And just to make the rabbit hole a little deeper, you need to know exactly what shots you are asking those clubs at the top of your bag to hit before you start removing them. For instance, if your 3w is a valuable club as a 2nd driver, but not a club you use off the turf much, then I would recommend keeping it or even moving towards a 2w type of club. I would also advise against moving more towards a 4w type of club just for the sake of pretty gapping, because that gapping is irrelevant if you are almost never hitting that club off the turf!

Oh what a tangled web we weave, when we try to set up our 14 clubs most efficiently! Isn't that the way the quote goes? I dunno......

• Like 2

AI Smoke TD 8° w/shaft TBD

Big Bertha 815 Alpha 14° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

'16 Apex Hybrid 23° w/DG 
'24 Apex CB 5-7; '24 Apex MB 8-11 w/DG

MD2 55° + PM 1.0 58° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

I have 5 wedges 46/50/54/58/62 my usual set up (AP2/Vokey). I have a lot of approach shots from 145 or less at my home course and I am not great at partial wedge shots so having smaller gaps at this end of the bag makes sense. The 58 has significant bounce (Vokey D grind) while the 62 has less bounce (M grind) so they are used in different situations around the green. Even though the D and M bounce numbers are only 4 degrees different (12 and 8, respectively) their bounce design makes them play very differently to me.

You have to weigh how valuable the unique benefits of a particular club are over the next best option in addition to how often that club gets used in a round.

For my particular skill set at my typical course, I need the advantages of the 62 wedge more than having closer gaps from my woods/hybrids. Some people are skilled enough to use a 56 degree wedge for all the shots I need a 54, 58, and 62 to reliably produce.

I go PW, AW, 54*, 59*, 64*.

I could easily go with four and add a club at the top of the bag if I didn’t love the high lofted option so much. My confidence with the 64* allows me to be a much more aggressive iron player and that means more birdie opportunities.

I’m never going to keep up with the long hitters, so I concentrate on the parts of the game that don’t require high swing speed and strength.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

I knew a former small-college basketball player, about 6-foot-5 tall, who switched over to golf.

He hit the ball a loooooong way, and carried five wedges so he had some distance options close in. His full-shot PW carried 150 yards, so you can see his challenge.

Personally, I went the other way last season, 4 down to 3. It really simplified my wedge game.

One shortfall: my 48* combo PW-GW. If I need a little extra yardage, I go with a three-quarters 9i or play the 48* back an inch to deloft it.

What does a 64 do that a 60 won't do? .....

Some people can do magic tricks with a 64* but most people can't. I think it's genetic.

Also, if you run into Phil M at happy hour, you can tell him how you hit a 64* into a false-front green and watched the ball spin back down to your feet.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

What does a 64 do that a 60 won't do?

What does a 60 do that a 56 won’t? It’s the same argument. Folks thought the 60* was crazy when it first appeared. I still play with guys who think you don’t need to go past 56 but tell me they wish they had my short game.

The 64 hits a higher shot that lands more softly, it allows you to take a nice full swing which is frequently easier than manipulating a lower lofted wedge, it allows you to worry less about being short sided. It’s also really fun.

• Like 3

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

What does a 60 do that a 56 won’t? It’s the same argument. Folks thought the 60* was crazy when it first appeared. I still play with guys who think you don’t need to go past 56 but tell me they wish they had my short game.

The 64 hits a higher shot that lands more softly, it allows you to take a nice full swing which is frequently easier than manipulating a lower lofted wedge, it allows you to worry less about being short sided. It’s also really fun.

Your full swing comment is spot on!

I carried 5 wedges briefly a few years ago. 49, 52, 56, 60, 64. The 64 ended up being more trouble than it was worth so I got rid of it.

However, with recent equipment trends, and a certain few guys obsessed with comparing iron yardages with me, I sometimes carry 14 wedges ranging from my 4* putting wedge, 10.5* adjustable driving wedge, to my 60* lob wedge.

• Haha 1

I carry 4 wedges. PW, 50 54 58. I understand the concern with partial wedge shots, but my solution to that was to improve my wedge play. My wonderful wife purchased me a membership to a short game area where I worked to improve my short game play. I also spend a considerable time on the range to practice my wedges. I'm almost to the point of reducing wedges, but I love the flexibility of having some "on the money" full swing wedge distances.

I like the top end of my bag, and the courses I play set up pretty well for D, 3W, 3i.

Guilty as charged ... for some courses. 45-50-55-60-64. 64 or 6 iron dropped at times

Another set I go 45-50-54-58-62

Though right now in Florida I am 46-53-59.

What bounces do you have on your setup UC?

My most common set up .... with the satin Vokey fun spin sm2's is this ..

45 ... not sure on ping s55 bounce

54.12 ... bent to 55 .. Tvd M

60.08 ... tvd M

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Wow, more comments than I expected.

The 64 for me is just another gap down vs using 1/2 or 3/4 swings without me having to overthink. Hitting the 64 with a full swing is no different for me than the rest of the wedges. My full swing distances are usually:

64 degree - 65-68yards

60 degree - 75yards

56 degree- 90yards

52 degree- 105yards

48 degree- 120yards

Of course each of the above can drop to 15 feet accompanied by a divot suitable to bury a small animal in :-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

The 64 for me is just another gap down vs using 1/2 or 3/4 swings without me having to overthink. Hitting the 64 with a full swing is no different for me than the rest of the wedges. My full swing distances are usually:

64 degree - 65-68yards

60 degree - 75yards

56 degree- 90yards

52 degree- 105yards

48 degree- 120yards

Of course each of the above can drop to 15 feet accompanied by a divot suitable to bury a small animal in :-)

Chunky monkey is the second worst shot in all of golf.

What club do you hit for 50 yds?

I have 2 sets of wedges. Vokey 46, 50, 54 58 and Taylormade Hi Toe set from 52, 56, 60, 64.

I am going to sell my 46 Vokey cuz my 718 CB PW and my Mizuno MP-18 PW have more forgiveness. I like to carry more wedges in my bag and I even sometimes ditch my driver because I have a Mizuno MP-H5 1i that I can bomb out 290. So my suggestion is if you have the swing speed and accuracy with a long iron to ditch a few at the top of the bag then add more wedges with 4-5 degree gaps. I don't need a 64 at all because a 58 is plenty of loft but the 64 is fun to bring out once in a while for some serious flop shots. My hi toe 52 degree is the best 52 I've hit versatility wise. Not the best feel like a Vokey wedge but I am able to hit low runners from really tight lies which increase my confidence. I am going to always carry a PW, gap wedge, sand wedge and lob wedge with 4 degrees. It just works for me since my swing speed is pretty high and a 6 degree gap puts too much of a yardage gap.

I carry 5.

51 Vokey

54 Vokey

58 vokey

Set wedges at 43 and 47. Strong lofts on the set so...

I dont carry my 4i generally as I dont hit it that well. If I need the 4i, I put a draw on my 5i or cut my 3h or choke down on it.

I play in the Pacific NW so I understand the aoggy wedge shots costing you. Im a digger but try to pick in the slop.

I sometimes carry 5: pw, 52, 56, 60, 64

I mainly have the 64 for one particular course in my area that has virtually every green being elevated and protected with berms. Soft high lob shots are the ticket there. Sure I could open my 60, but on that particular course, the 64 is more reliable. Then again, I practice those shots so they seem "safe" to me.

I often leave out the 64 for the rest of the courses I play, but I don't generally replace it with a club on the longer end. My longest non-driver club is a 19 deg hybrid. Not much of a 3w player, so I just play 13 clubs in those situations and enjoy the slightly lighter bag.

I carry 5. AP1 PW, 48 deg as part of the set. Then 52, 56, 60 deg Vokeys. This is solely from the major manufacturers changing the name of my 9i to PW, and my 3i to 4i, and so on through the set...

Ping G400 LST 10 deg - Oban Kiyoshi White 04

Ping G400 16.5 deg - Oban Kiyoshi White 04

Ping i59 4-PW - PX IO 6.0, 1” long

Vokey SM7 Jet Black 52-56-60 

Scotty Cameron 2018 Newport 3

64 degree - 65-68yards

60 degree - 75yards

56 degree- 90yards

52 degree- 105yards

48 degree- 120yards

Chunky monkey is the second worst shot in all of golf.

What club do you hit for 50 yds?

That is where it gets tough...I have to think. If nothing is in front of me and lots of green to work with, I will try to knock in something lower. If I have short sided myself, the 60 or 64. My plain stock shot, would be a 9 o'clock dead handed swing with the 64.

Many years ago I had a teacher who taught 3 swings on the clock face with 3 wedges. You practiced them a lot, and you taped to each shaft how far each club went with the three different swings. His thoughts were this held up in competition because you knew you're distances. Honestly, I could not produce the same swing force from each position under different circumstances. This is another reason I have more wedges...If I have 5 wedges and two swings...one is a normal full swing and the other is a stand on it and give it a little extra...then I have a pretty good feel for my distances. My problem is the 50 yard shot mentioned. We all know deceleration kills you, so I usually fight that urge and go too long?

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I have, and I even did it with only 3° gaps at one point: 60, 57, 54, 51, 48

Here's the thing, if you aren't tracking your strokes gained and then calculating how much each shot is actually costing you per round, they you don't really know what to do or not to do.

For instance, I'm a pretty bad partial wedge player from 70 - 80 yards (-0.42 SG/shot) and still poor, but a better 90 - 100 yard wedge player (-0.32 SG/shot). But, over the past year, I have faced more than twice the number of 90 - 100 yard shots than ones from 70 - 80 yards. So, my strokes gained per round from 70 - 80 yards is only -0.15 whereas my strokes gained per round from 90 - 100 yards is -0.27.

I can save almost twice as many strokes PER ROUND (the real goal) practicing shots from 90 - 100 yards than I can from 70 - 80 yards, even though I'm worse from 70 - 80 yards. Once you have some stats like this to look at, then you can start to really get down to brass tacks when it comes to bag setup. And once you are there, you have to answer the question of whether more wedges does or doesn't help your partial wedge game. And while you should be able to get a very good idea about this on the practice tee and preferably with some targets or a launch monitor, but it really can't be definitively answered until you get on course, in game situations, where you keep the stats and see what really happens under the gun, so to speak.

And just to make the rabbit hole a little deeper, you need to know exactly what shots you are asking those clubs at the top of your bag to hit before you start removing them. For instance, if your 3w is a valuable club as a 2nd driver, but not a club you use off the turf much, then I would recommend keeping it or even moving towards a 2w type of club. I would also advise against moving more towards a 4w type of club just for the sake of pretty gapping, because that gapping is irrelevant if you are almost never hitting that club off the turf!

Oh what a tangled web we weave, when we try to set up our 14 clubs most efficiently! Isn't that the way the quote goes? I dunno......

Common sense talking...

• Like 1

I still think the 60° is a little crazy.

3 wedges, Gap, 56, 60. I can make those three into about 8 wedges if need be. I would much rather have the driver, 3 wood, hybrid set up and a 3-pw since the holes off the tee dont require much length and I can play to a yardage. I usually switch between a 3 hybrid and a 3 iron depending on longest par 3 distance.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Thought about it, but decided to stick with my current lineup - 45/50/54/58 as I don't want to create too big a gap on the longer end than I already have (carry a 2I and a 4I but no 3I). In addition, I figure I can always go with a 3/4 swing on the 58 for distances shorter than stock, and am pretty good at distance control when doing so.

Frankly, I think having the ability to make effective 1/2 and 3/4 swings while controlling distances - as well as the ability to flight wedges up or down as needed - is FAR, FAR more important than having additional "stock" distance options that would come from carrying a 60, 62 or 64. At least for me.

In my mind at least for now, partial wedge shots have cost me more than giving up my 3i. Half wedges from soggy winter/spring conditions cost me more shots than they should!

Have you measured it in reality and not just in your mind?

If you have unrealistic expectations it will color all your mental data.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I want a 64 for when I'm a foot right of the right side bunker which is 8 yards wide and the pin is cut with 6 foot of green to land within. And its downhill.

Yes, we have that hole. And the shot is a downhill lie. Under hit and you're in the bunker, over hit and you're in the left hand bunker.

And yes, I do land my tee shot there or in the vicinity....

OK, I get that the 64 is something of a luxury but pretty sure I'll use it at least as often as my 2 hybrid. And if i can get that 9 or 10 yard, high flopping, soft land and stoppy shot, then that will gain me more shots than the hybrid

• Like 1