2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Official Aldila Black, Green, Copper Mamba Trackman Review Thread. Comparison to Tensei Pro Product.

TollBros

I just ordered the xtorsion copper in 70tx. Planning to play it at 44.5” in my Cobra F8+. My ss is around 115, moderately aggressive. I was just wondering whether anyone had any recommendations on tipping? I was thinking tipping it a 1/2 inch though I don’t really have any idea what’s best. The Aldila website seems to say to butt cut it to length. Any advice is appreciated!

I would consult the dealer and have him look over your swing data to make sure recommendation. I'm sure you wouldn't buy from someone who didn't test and intimately know the products. Get their expertise which should be part of the buying process.

I just ordered the xtorsion copper in 70tx. Planning to play it at 44.5" in my Cobra F8+. My ss is around 115, moderately aggressive. I was just wondering whether anyone had any recommendations on tipping? I was thinking tipping it a 1/2 inch though I don't really have any idea what's best. The Aldila website seems to say to butt cut it to length. Any advice is appreciated!

I would consult the dealer and have him look over your swing data to make sure recommendation. I'm sure you wouldn't buy from someone who didn't test and intimately know the products. Get their expertise which should be part of the buying process.

Thanks, I just did that and they offered some thoughts. I bought the shaft online and hadn't done that before (and am not exactly an expert on this stuff if you couldn't already tell). I stumbled across this thread after I ordered it and was amazed at all the great info. Hopefully it doesn't end being a bad purchase...we'll see. And Toll Bros, I'll make sure to check out your offerings next time I'm looking to buy a shaft. I'm getting back into golf after a decade or so off having kids/grad school etc...when I played competitively I never really knew much about club specs or shafts just hit what I was fit for or had demoed and liked. This is all new

I just ordered the xtorsion copper in 70tx. Planning to play it at 44.5" in my Cobra F8+. My ss is around 115, moderately aggressive. I was just wondering whether anyone had any recommendations on tipping? I was thinking tipping it a 1/2 inch though I don't really have any idea what's best. The Aldila website seems to say to butt cut it to length. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks, I just did that and they offered some thoughts. I bought the shaft online and hadn't done that before (and am not exactly an expert on this stuff if you couldn't already tell). I stumbled across this thread after I ordered it and was amazed at all the great info. Hopefully it doesn't end being a bad purchase...we'll see. And Toll Bros, I'll make sure to check out your offerings next time I'm looking to buy a shaft. I'm getting back into golf after a decade or so off having kids/grad school etc...when I played competitively I never really knew much about club specs or shafts just hit what I was fit for or had demoed and liked. This is all new

No worries, and I'm glad the thread helped you in sorting out what might be best for you. I always feel that as a product seller, one should have intimate knowledge of the product and be able to fit customers or at least assist in their set up. Service is part of the sale in my world. :)

• 2 months later...

Following up on this. Reached out to toll and after speaking with him the green mamba 70tx was the ticket for me. For anyone who can get away with a little higher launching/spinning shaft the green mamba is the ticket. One of the smoothest feeling shafts I've put into play. Came from the diamana s+ 70tx and the green mamba is a touch lower launching and spinning. Possibly going to snag an 80tx to put in a 3 wood.

Can you compare the green mamba to the tensei pro blue in a fairway wood? Thanks!

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 50.08F & 56M DG S200

Callaway Jaws Raw Face Chrome 60Z DG Spinner 115 Steel

Odyssey Dual Force OR  Odyssey Jailbird LE 380 Microhinge Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

Following up on this. Reached out to toll and after speaking with him the green mamba 70tx was the ticket for me. For anyone who can get away with a little higher launching/spinning shaft the green mamba is the ticket. One of the smoothest feeling shafts I've put into play. Came from the diamana s+ 70tx and the green mamba is a touch lower launching and spinning. Possibly going to snag an 80tx to put in a 3 wood.

Can you compare the green mamba to the tensei pro blue in a fairway wood? Thanks!

Yup! Gamed both in a G400 3 wood. Liked the mamba but the launch was spin were a bit low for me. I absolutely love the Tensei line. The feel is so smooth however I haven’t found any issues with dispersion. I currently have a pro blue 80tx tipped 1’ but if I wanted something a bit lower I would immediately turn to the pro white as I prefer a softer feeling in the handle. Also gamed the 70tx green mamba in the driver and preferred the pro blue 70tx but eventually went to the pro orange due to me switching to the max from the LST and needing to drop more spin.

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

Very similar overall with the Pro Blue feeling a bit more muted and smooth. Both are fantastic fairway wood options. Also don't sleep on Black Mamba in a fairway either if you want something flatter and lower spin.

How counterbalanced is the copperhead? How many SW points lower would the copperhead be at the same length compared to a traditionally balanced shaft? Thanks.

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

How counterbalanced is the copperhead? How many SW points lower would the copperhead be at the same length compared to a traditionally balanced shaft? Thanks.

Roughly 2.5 points.

Thank you. That's a pretty big counterbalance. Seems similar to hzrdus yellow; I believe that one is around 3 points counterbalanced.

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

@TollBros: are all X-Torsion Copper 70TX made from 'tour modulus' materials or are there also versions made along the lines of the lighter weight versions? Is there any way to tell which materials are used form the shaft itself?

All the TX flex models of the X-Torsion line were designed for Tour. This applies to all weights as long as it is a TX flex.

@TollBros: are all X-Torsion Copper 70TX made from 'tour modulus' materials or are there also versions made along the lines of the lighter weight versions? Is there any way to tell which materials are used form the shaft itself?

All the TX flex models of the X-Torsion line were designed for Tour. This applies to all weights as long as it is a TX flex.

AFAIK the only Copper TX is 70g (vs. 70g/80g TX Greens), so thats the one for sure. Any way to tell it apart from the 70g X (non-tour) other than the T/TX designation? Maybe difference in cpm of any noticeable construction/material difference?

AFAIK the only Copper TX is 70g (vs. 70g/80g TX Greens), so thats the one for sure. Any way to tell it apart from the 70g X (non-tour) other than the T/TX designation? Maybe difference in cpm of any noticeable construction/material difference?

There is a 60tx Copperhead as well as Black and Green. Tour only of course but available through us. Visually the only distinguishing aspect is the TX flex designation.

There is a 60tx Copperhead as well as Black and Green. Tour only of course but available through us. Visually the only distinguishing aspect is the TX flex designation.

Thanks, I completely forgot the 60TX. It's not on the Aldila site, but I did have it my spec sheet. Do you happen to have a butt cpm value for the 70TX? Just to be sure....

Thanks, I completely forgot the 60TX. It's not on the Aldila site, but I did have it my spec sheet. Do you happen to have a butt cpm value for the 70TX? Just to be sure....

We have no stock of Copperhead at the moment so I cannot help you there.

• 3 months later...

I currently play a KK XT 60TX untipped in my G400 LST 8.5, I have G410 Plus on the way and was looking for a new shaft. Could I go Green or do I need to go Black. I do like the KK but a little higher launch probably wouldnt kill me.

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

> @drvrwdge said:

> I currently play a KK XT 60TX untipped in my G400 LST 8.5, I have G410 Plus on the way and was looking for a new shaft. Could I go Green or do I need to go Black. I do like the KK but a little higher launch probably wouldnt kill me.

I tested out the KK DC TX for alittle bit and just moved to the green. Wouldn’t really say they are comparable in terms of feel. The KK defiantly feels firmer and launched lower and spun less. I haven’t tried the black, but would think that’s more in line with the KK.

> @dalton044 said:

> > @drvrwdge said:

> > I currently play a KK XT 60TX untipped in my G400 LST 8.5, I have G410 Plus on the way and was looking for a new shaft. Could I go Green or do I need to go Black. I do like the KK but a little higher launch probably wouldnt kill me.

>

> I tested out the KK DC TX for alittle bit and just moved to the green. Wouldn’t really say they are comparable in terms of feel. The KK defiantly feels firmer and launched lower and spun less. I haven’t tried the black, but would think that’s more in line with the KK.

>

Thanks for the insight, I wonder if tipping the green would make a difference.

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

> @drvrwdge said:

> I currently play a KK XT 60TX untipped in my G400 LST 8.5, I have G410 Plus on the way and was looking for a new shaft. Could I go Green or do I need to go Black. I do like the KK but a little higher launch probably wouldnt kill me.

You absolutely do not want the green. If you want to stay in this line, Black Mamba is the choice. Let me know if you would like one.

• 1 year later...

This thread has been really helpful and an enjoyable read.

Xtorsion Green is one I’m due to test in the 3W this week - looking forward to seeing how it goes! 

I’ve played Diamana S+ & Diamana BF (both in TX profiles) and keen to see how this stacks up.

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the following:

- Xtorsion Green 60TX vs. Diamana BF 60TX vs Speeder Evolution IV 60TX in driver?

- Any other newer shaft releases over the last couple of years that I should factor into the mix when it comes to driver and fairway options to test that are at the stiffer end of the blueboard space?

On 12/21/2020 at 5:03 PM, christof87 said:

This thread has been really helpful and an enjoyable read.

Xtorsion Green is one I’m due to test in the 3W this week - looking forward to seeing how it goes! 

I’ve played Diamana S+ & Diamana BF (both in TX profiles) and keen to see how this stacks up.

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the following:

- Xtorsion Green 60TX vs. Diamana BF 60TX vs Speeder Evolution IV 60TX in driver?

- Any other newer shaft releases over the last couple of years that I should factor into the mix when it comes to driver and fairway options to test that are at the stiffer end of the blueboard space?

Xtorsion/mamba were really great shafts. I think copper is the special one of the lot though, you can tip it a good bit and get a really stable product that's as long as anything around.  

Aldila is a great place to look for incredible shafts from the past few years. Rogue 130, the graphene stuff (tour green, synergy) RIPx... going right back to mamba. Combination of feel and performance is top notch. 

• Thanks 1

TSR3 10* | Hzrdus Black Gen4 60TX 

Titleist TS3 3w | Diamana DF 70TX

Ping i525 3 iron | DG 120 X100 

Callaway Apex MB '18 5-Pw; X Forged '18 4i | DG X100 

Vokey SM8 52F, SM9 56F, SM7 60L | DG S400

Evnroll ER2v Long Plumbers Neck

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/26/2020 at 4:24 PM, mtg said:

Xtorsion/mamba were really great shafts. I think copper is the special one of the lot though, you can tip it a good bit and get a really stable product that's as long as anything around.  

Aldila is a great place to look for incredible shafts from the past few years. Rogue 130, the graphene stuff (tour green, synergy) RIPx... going right back to mamba. Combination of feel and performance is top notch. 

I managed to test the Green Mamba in my EFSZ 3 wood before lockdown 3.0 hit the UK.

Windy day but hit a few really good shots with it.

Your comment also persuaded me to try out the Copper in the driver - managed to find one for a good price!

Out of interest, have you hit the RIPx & the Green Mamba?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, christof87 said:

I managed to test the Green Mamba in my EFSZ 3 wood before lockdown 3.0 hit the UK.

Windy day but hit a few really good shots with it.

Your comment also persuaded me to try out the Copper in the driver - managed to find one for a good price!

Out of interest, have you hit the RIPx & the Green Mamba?

negative on the RIPx - the higher torque on the 60 and 70 gram versions scare me a little. Though I'm sure its unfounded  - prob just one of those urban myths that I need to get past - that higher torque = wilder. The fact that its the updated mamba shaft has definitely caught my eye. I take it you've had good experience with it?

I liked the green mamba for sure, I just like shafts with more feel in the butt section, and I thought green had the firmest butt section of all those shafts. So wasn't my ideal fit, but no doubt a great product. Let us know how you get along with that copper. I'm always thinking about building up a new driver with one. I played it in an Epic SZ a few years ago, I still don't know if I've ever had a longer combo (and that thing was only like 44.25"!)

22 minutes ago, mtg said:

negative on the RIPx - the higher torque on the 60 and 70 gram versions scare me a little. Though I'm sure its unfounded  - prob just one of those urban myths that I need to get past - that higher torque = wilder. The fact that its the updated mamba shaft has definitely caught my eye. I take it you've had good experience with it?

I liked the green mamba for sure, I just like shafts with more feel in the butt section, and I thought green had the firmest butt section of all those shafts. So wasn't my ideal fit, but no doubt a great product. Let us know how you get along with that copper. I'm always thinking about building up a new driver with one. I played it in an Epic SZ a few years ago, I still don't know if I've ever had a longer combo (and that thing was only like 44.25"!)

The ripx being higher torque is to help it not feel rigid. It’s a good feeling shaft as I have one currently in a 65tx and had a 75tx. I’m only selling it as I went with the rogue white 60tx. For being a less expensive shaft it doesn’t perform like one. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mtg said:

I’m sure I read a Toll Bros quote on here which said something to the effect of the advent of newer, exotic materials meant that using torque values as a proxy for stiffness was no longer as good a gauge as it once was in every instance. (Welcome challenge on this point, though, if I’ve misunderstood.) The thread on the RipX & description on the site certainly didn’t pitch it as loose and wild, so I’m hopeful!

Either way, I’m going to pull the trigger on the RipX in a 65TX - and will report back on it as well as the Copper once we can play again in the UK.

The copper is a bit of a departure for me in terms of trying something with a softer handle, so I’m intrigued. 

2 minutes ago, Gtyler14 said:

The ripx being higher torque is to help it not feel rigid. It’s a good feeling shaft as I have one currently in a 65tx and had a 75tx. I’m only selling it as I went with the rogue white 60tx. For being a less expensive shaft it doesn’t perform like one. 

How would you compare the RipX vs Rogue White 130 MSI in the 60TX.

Keen to understand differences in balance point and feel if possible?

1 hour ago, Gtyler14 said:

yeah that was my exact thinking, as these engineers can stabilize the tip section with better materials the need for uber-low torque goes out the window a little

Edit: If i'm playing devils advocate though - the hottest shaft on tour in quite a while, Ventus, promotes itself as one of the lowest torque shafts around and Fuji claims that quality effectively increases the MOI of the club 

Edited by mtg