Tiger Woods 2019 Taylormade Irons...P7TW?

hokiealumn

I am not a machinist, but isn't the milling just a way to use a machine to do the work that Mike Taylor does by hand on a grinding wheel? He takes a forged club blank and uses his hands and a grinder to create the final shape. I'd assume TM is taking forged blanks and using a computer controlled mill to get the same results without having to clone Mike Taylor. Forging or casting is how you get the blanks, milling and grinding is how you finish the clubs. Is this accurate?

Chance are they take MT's grind, put it on a CMM, digitize profile and program a NC miller to replicate it to near exact specs and then finish sand.

I worry retail will be neutered because TW likes them heavy, tall faced and with added mass in the vertical. My hope is that they don't mess with it, in the way it was done on the 681 or get real dopey and strengthen the lofts. Offer them in S400, to true spec, I'm buying them.

• Like 1

I am not a machinist, but isn't the milling just a way to use a machine to do the work that Mike Taylor does by hand on a grinding wheel? He takes a forged club blank and uses his hands and a grinder to create the final shape. I'd assume TM is taking forged blanks and using a computer controlled mill to get the same results without having to clone Mike Taylor. Forging or casting is how you get the blanks, milling and grinding is how you finish the clubs. Is this accurate?

Chance are they take MT's grind, put it on a CMM, digitize profile and program a NC miller to replicate it to near exact specs and then finish sand.

I worry retail will be neutered because TW likes them heavy, tall faced and with added mass in the vertical. My hope is that they don't mess with it, in the way it was done on the 681 or get real dopey and strengthen the lofts. Offer them in S400, to true spec, I'm buying them.

Very few people should be playing irons built to Tiger's exact specs, and probably even less than that. What's the allure of having a limited release be exactly Tiger's specs if they're not playable by the majority of people buying them? There won't be much, if any, collector value to these. I can understand wanting to have something that's essentially his, but most people will want to play them.

I have a set of 681T and was pleased they weren't exact duplicates of Tiger's irons because his would have never worked for me.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

Very few people should be playing irons built to Tiger's exact specs, and probably even less than that. What's the allure of having a limited release be exactly Tiger's specs if they're not playable by the majority of people buying them? There won't be much, if any, collector value to these. I can understand wanting to have something that's essentially his, but most people will want to play them.

I have a set of 681T and was pleased they weren't exact duplicates of Tiger's irons because his would have never worked for me.

You’d probably be shocked how much easier they are to hit with the beef tiger has made into them.

I have a proto set of 681 no stamps. They are near identical to tigers 681 proto set before the T stamp set. Easiest blade to hit I’ve ever held. My set was made for Matt jones. The resemblance ( near exact ) is undeniable.

The reason they water them down is because it’s cheaper to make. Less material and work time to make a generic shape. Same reason it takes mike Taylor to shape him a set is the same reason you won’t see the real shape come to retail. It’s not just TM. Nike and titleist did it too.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Other than shafts I don't see whats wrong with his specs for most people? I'd love a set with a 50° PW

It's not the loft specs, it's the CG properties that are considerably different than "average."

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

681's and T stamps are similar but T's a truer to his spec.681's left the muscle a bit lower yet they are still fantastic. Reality is most Pro's play different grind in the clubs they sponsor Rare to get same setup in retail set T's were of the exception and are perhaps one of the most valued blades offered in last 20 years. They want the P7 to be as coveted, they'll go the route of the T-stamp There's plenty of clubs out there go "rational", who needs another.

You'd probably be shocked how much easier they are to hit with the beef tiger has made into them.

I have a proto set of 681 no stamps. They are near identical to tigers 681 proto set before the T stamp set. Easiest blade to hit I've ever held. My set was made for Matt jones. The resemblance ( near exact ) is undeniable.

The reason they water them down is because it's cheaper to make. Less material and work time to make a generic shape. Same reason it takes mike Taylor to shape him a set is the same reason you won't see the real shape come to retail. It's not just TM. Nike and titleist did it too.

If you hit them well, it's because your dynamics at impact match up well with the CG location in those heads. That's great for you! But if Tiger's irons were easier to hit than other blades for the majority of the target market, no company would intentionally release a version that's harder to hit. Titleist would have just been releasing Tiger's heads instead of the 681s or any other blade they released during that time.

There's nothing inherently different about the design Tiger's blades that make them cost prohibitive to produce as a retail offering (I'm not talking about making Tiger's gamers). If a company wanted to sell a Tiger blade at retail, they could setup a production line and produce them for about the same cost as they could for any other design. So why don't they? Because the CG location in these heads mean they're harder to hit for most of the players in the target market. That was my point in the post above.

Replica sets released in the past were based off the existing production line because it was cheaper to use those heads instead of spinning up an entire production run of a different design head. It has absolutely nothing to do with watering down one version because the design is cheaper to make. It was all about economy of scale as it related to their production runs.

If the P7TW are made the way we all seem to think they are, and they find their way to retail as a limited offering, then I think they'll be very close to Tiger's actual specs. The P730 design is too far away from the design of Tiger's heads to be a close enough match.

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

You'd probably be shocked how much easier they are to hit with the beef tiger has made into them.

I have a proto set of 681 no stamps. They are near identical to tigers 681 proto set before the T stamp set. Easiest blade to hit I've ever held. My set was made for Matt jones. The resemblance ( near exact ) is undeniable.

The reason they water them down is because it's cheaper to make. Less material and work time to make a generic shape. Same reason it takes mike Taylor to shape him a set is the same reason you won't see the real shape come to retail. It's not just TM. Nike and titleist did it too.

If you hit them well, it's because your dynamics at impact match up well with the CG location in those heads. That's great for you! But if Tiger's irons were easier to hit than other blades for the majority of the target market, no company would intentionally release a version that's harder to hit. Titleist would have just been releasing Tiger's heads instead of the 681s or any other blade they released during that time.

There's nothing inherently different about the design Tiger's blades that make them cost prohibitive to produce as a retail offering (I'm not talking about making Tiger's gamers). If a company wanted to sell a Tiger blade at retail, they could setup a production line and produce them for about the same cost as they could for any other design. So why don't they? Because the CG location in these heads mean they're harder to hit for most of the players in the target market. That was my point in the post above.

Replica sets released in the past were based off the existing production line because it was cheaper to use those heads instead of spinning up an entire production run of a different design head. It has absolutely nothing to do with watering down one version because the design is cheaper to make. It was all about economy of scale as it related to their production runs.

If the P7TW are made the way we all seem to think they are, and they find their way to retail as a limited offering, then I think they'll be very close to Tiger's actual specs. The P730 design is too far away from the design of Tiger's heads to be a close enough match.

You’re saying the same thing as me. They didn’t make them because it would cost more.

Tiger doesn’t go to mike and say “ make me something harder to hit. This is too easy “. His irons are beefy all over. Especially the short irons. But really everything.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I probably SHOULD NOT get two burritos when I go to chipotle, but I digress.

Telling a golfer what they should and shouldn’t do when you’re not their coach or instructor is like adding gas to a fire.

I’m playing off 18. I suck. I have no reason to play blades or most any of the other clubs I use but check it out, I can and I do. I’m a glutton for hard learning because that is a way that teaches best.

The irons are a bit of a mystery and do look appealing. Everyone is curious to see what big car puts in the bag for the year and what, if anything, changes.

But don’t ever tell us what we should and shouldn’t do.

Telling a golfer what they should and shouldn't do when you're not their coach or instructor is like adding gas to a fire.

I'm playing off 18. I suck. I have no reason to play blades or most any of the other clubs I use but check it out, I can and I do. I'm a glutton for hard learning because that is a way that teaches best.

The irons are a bit of a mystery and do look appealing. Everyone is curious to see what big car puts in the bag for the year and what, if anything, changes.

But don't ever tell us what we should and shouldn't do.

*sigh*

Go back and read a bunch of my old posts. I always say that no one should ever tell someone else how they should derive their enjoyment from the game. If someone is a 35 and wants to play blades, by all means play blades. I'm not going to criticize someone for it.

What I was trying to get across in my post, poorly apparently, is that the specific specs of Tiger's irons, the ones mentioned in the post to which I replied (heavier, high CG, etc) do not fit even a small segment of the market. As such, I remain genuinely curious why people care that a future model matches his exact specs, as opposed to a model that is inspired by his but are more playable (hence the analogy to the 681T). If the answer is nothing more than, "I like Tiger and want to play his irons," or "They look really cool," then great. Play them.

These forums would be a lot better if everyone tried to assume positive intent when reading a post instead of immediately taking things in a negative way. I'll admit that I could have worded my post with a little softer tone, but I don't think it warranted a "don't tell me what to do" type of response.

• Like 1

TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

Telling a golfer what they should and shouldn't do when you're not their coach or instructor is like adding gas to a fire.

I'm playing off 18. I suck. I have no reason to play blades or most any of the other clubs I use but check it out, I can and I do. I'm a glutton for hard learning because that is a way that teaches best.

But don't ever tell us what we should and shouldn't do.

*sigh*

Go back and read a bunch of my old posts. I always say that no one should ever tell someone else how they should derive their enjoyment from the game. If someone is a 35 and wants to play blades, by all means play blades. I'm not going to criticize someone for it.

What I was trying to get across in my post, poorly apparently, is that the specific specs of Tiger's irons, the ones mentioned in the post to which I replied (heavier, high CG, etc) do not fit even a small segment of the market. As such, I remain genuinely curious why people care that a future model matches his exact specs, as opposed to a model that is inspired by his but are more playable (hence the analogy to the 681T). If the answer is nothing more than, "I like Tiger and want to play his irons," or "They look really cool," then great. Play them.

These forums would be a lot better if everyone tried to assume positive intent when reading a post instead of immediately taking things in a negative way. I'll admit that I could have worded my post with a little softer tone, but I don't think it warranted a "don't tell me what to do" type of response.

It’s all good bud. I have read countless posts you’ve made and that one did take me aghast. Nothing personal intended or taken. Some still have that mentality of stating what should and shouldn’t be done when referencing playing experience and blades and handicaps and it’s yadda yadda. I don’t know you to be the one that point that notion out which is why I spoke up. But I’m also a noted “d***head” so there is that as well.

Here is to hoping that TM takes these posts to heart and maybe opens a market for the rors, TW, DJ, and all other TM staffers protos. I personally don’t think they’d be able to fill the orders quick enough.

If Taylormade will do a fully milled set of P730 irons for Rose and McIlroy, I don't see why they won't Tiger's irons would be any different. From what I understand, hand grinding the sole is such a tedious process, one misstep and the iron head is garbage. Milling the sole of an iron can be replicated time after time to exacting standards. With TW's attention to detail, milling the soles of his irons probably yields the best results.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Question - Did you guys enjoy the MeandMyGolf "Behind-the-Scenes" vlog at our photoshoot in Florida? The easter egg in the video aside, would you like to see more of this?

And on a side note, if we like a post in these forums, it generally means it's correct information. :good:

Behind the scenes of this video?

I did see Rahm with a proto Aldila Green with graphene and Tiger with a DF.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

Question - Did you guys enjoy the MeandMyGolf "Behind-the-Scenes" vlog at our photoshoot in Florida? The easter egg in the video aside, would you like to see more of this?

And on a side note, if we like a post in these forums, it generally means it's correct information. :good:

Well. Since the only post you’ve liked is the one above with the milled heads it begs the question. Why didn’t you do this from the word go ? You had his TGR iron specs to program off of.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Ok good, now give us a release date on the P7TWs:)

Ok good, now give us a release date on the P7TWs:)

I didn’t read that as a confirmation of a TW exact copy in milled form being released. But happy to be told I’m wrong. Tm what say ye ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

While I personally have zero interest in a Tiger Woods model blade, or any blade for that matter, I do think it’s bordering on criminally moronic to be paying arguably the greatest player in history a huge sum of money to be part of your staff program and NOT offer a line of irons with his name on them. I wonder if Tiger won’t allow it?

While I personally have zero interest in a Tiger Woods model blade, or any blade for that matter, I do think it’s bordering on criminally moronic to be paying arguably the greatest player in history a huge sum of money to be part of your staff program and NOT offer a line of irons with his name on them. I wonder if Tiger won’t allow it?

This man smells the smoke.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Agree with what you're saying, but splitting hairs...remember Tiger doesn't even own his own name anymore, Nike does. That's why he has TGR, Woods Jupiter, etc that are all his, but none bear the name "Tiger Woods".

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

I for one enjoyed the video and I am looking forward to the subsequent releases the guys talked about. They teased at the end of the video they were doing a series of 5 videos and making a sort of "ultimate player" kind of thing which I thought was interesting. Honestly, I'm really just looking forward to all the Mic'd commentary they have of the players talking while filming the shoot over the course of the day.

Aside from the surprise that caught my eye, two of the more enjoyable scenes was the long drive competition between Rory & DJ and the commentary of the group asking Tiger how he controls spin with his wedge shots.

........ So after the rant, short answer is YES!

Titleist TSR3 9*, Hzrdus Smoke Green Hulk PVD 70 TX

TaylorMade Mini BRNR 11.5*, Hzrdus Smoke Green Hulk PVD 90 TX
Titleist TSR3 13.5*, Ventus Blue TR 80 X

TaylorMade SIM2 Rescue 2HY, Ventus Blue 90HY X
Srixon ZX Utility 20*, Ventus Black 100TX

Srixon ZX7 5-PW, LAGP L-Series 05
TaylorMade Hi-Toe 3 50, 55 & 60 LAGP L-Series 05

LAB Link.1, LAGP P-Series 135
Titleist -ProV1X

Agree with what you're saying, but splitting hairs...remember Tiger doesn't even own his own name anymore, Nike does. That's why he has TGR, Woods Jupiter, etc that are all his, but none bear the name "Tiger Woods".

Interesting thought, but not true. That’s actually something of an Urban Legend. Tiger Woods absolutely owns his name and can do anything he wants with it.

If Tiger wanted to, he could certainly ALLOW TM to use his name to market a set of irons. He obviously would get a large chunk of money to allow that. I’m guessing It would almost surely be in addition to whatever his existing agreement is to be on their staff. Maybe he and TM can’t reach an agreement.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-woods-jupiter/

He also has a Hi Toe 60* low bounce in his bag along with his regular MG 60* in the video.

Looked like hi hi toe had some taken off the heel as well

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

“Generally” = most cases

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/