2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Playing with THAT guy

A lot of us on here have kids who play tournament golf at some level or another. While I know my daughter isn't the best she loves to play so we do it. By what drives me crazy are parents who think their kids are going pro next week, and even though their kid in their current skill set lacks the talent to really be good or great they always find a reason to why. Oh the course is too short for her to hit driver so she played bad. Her grip needed to be changed that's why she missed every fairway and hit most in the trees. Oh the greens sucked so bad, I need to change to a softer compression ball. (Those who buy into winter balls lol) Whatever the reason is. Last I checked regardless of anything conditions is always you vs the course.

Stop making up crap reasons for your kid. Stop. Either they are good or not. They can score well or not. Perhaps look in the mirror and perhaps you will find its you that is holding them back. I hate playing with that parent.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of us on here have kids who play tournament golf at some level or another. While I know my daughter isn't the best she loves to play so we do it. By what drives me crazy are parents who think their kids are going pro next week, and even though their kid in their current skill set lacks the talent to really be good or great they always find a reason to why. Oh the course is too short for her to hit driver so she played bad. Her grip needed to be changed that's why she missed every fairway and hit most in the trees. Oh the greens sucked so bad, I need to change to a softer compression ball. (Those who buy into winter balls lol) Whatever the reason is. Last I checked regardless of anything conditions is always you vs the course.

Stop making up crap reasons for your kid. Stop. Either they are good or not. They can score well or not. Perhaps look in the mirror and perhaps you will find its you that is holding them back. I hate playing with that parent.

You win WRX post of the day, bro.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Was at the range over the weekend. Stall next to me was a father and daughter. I was appalled at how he spoke to her.....actually felt sorry for the girl. Father was berating her about positions in her golf swing. He would grab club from her hands when she didn't pause in right position. He would then start swinging club. Girl just stared off down the range. Went on for about 40 minutes. Father eventually stormed off! Girl looked over to and apologized. I told her there was no need forl an apology on her part. Girl then started to hit balls with a smile on her face. Just kills me inside when I see a parent treating a kid this way.

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

Every single dad that has a daughter playing golf under the age of 10 thinks their daughter is going to play on the LPGA. Their was a couple of times I had to give my head a shake and just have patience and let her have fun and try hard not to be that guy.

Ping G400 Fujikura Pro 60
Ping G30 Fujikura Vista Pro 80
Adams Pro 18, 23 Diamana White 83
Callaway Razr X Tour R300
Vokey SM6 50, 54, 58

Bobby Grace V-Foil 6.4 by Macgregor

Was at the range over the weekend. Stall next to me was a father and daughter. I was appalled at how he spoke to her.....actually felt sorry for the girl. Father was berating her about positions in her golf swing. He would grab club from her hands when she didn't pause in right position. He would then start swinging club. Girl just stared off down the range. Went on for about 40 minutes. Father eventually stormed off! Girl looked over to and apologized. I told her there was no need forl an apology on her part. Girl then started to hit balls with a smile on her face. Just kills me inside when I see a parent treating a kid this way.

Dude at my course used to make his 7-year-old cry on the range all the time. Used to rip the club out of the kids hands until the kid cried and just ran to the parking lot. The guy is "that-guy-at-every-course" who 1) takes himself and his golf way too seriously; 2) had no prior athletic success himself in ANY sport, and 3) can't find anyone to regularly play with.

Every single dad that has a daughter playing golf under the age of 10 thinks their daughter is going to play on the LPGA. Their was a couple of times I had to give my head a shake and just have patience and let her have fun and try hard not to be that guy.

And the crazy thing is, how desirable is the LPGA lifestyle anyway? I would argue that relative to the very low odds of a player becoming a top 50 in the world pro, that it's not a very wise pursuit for most.

If you consider travel, caddy, and other expenses, only those inside the top 75 are making a legitimately good living. Even if a player has a good year there's no guarantee that its sustainable, and a drop off in performance can leave you barely making ends meet. Very different than the men where one win and you're set for a good long time.

Sure, the top players get lucrative endorsement deals, but again, that's limited to the elites who are deemed marketable for things beyond their golf.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

And the crazy thing is, how desirable is the LPGA lifestyle anyway? I would argue that relative to the very low odds of a player becoming a top 50 in the world pro, that it's not a very wise pursuit for most.

If you consider travel, caddy, and other expenses, only those inside the top 75 are making a legitimately good living. Even if a player has a good year there's no guarantee that its sustainable, and a drop off in performance can leave you barely making ends meet. Very different than the men where one win and you're set for a good long time.

Sure, the top players get lucrative endorsement deals, but again, that's limited to the elites who are deemed marketable for things beyond their golf.

I think it may be better for players today but even guys who made it on the PGA tour and Won have a hard time making ends meet. I have met a lot former PGA pro's who either got a job in Sales or actually teach now for a living.

For a person to make it on a tour you have got to have good PR and negotiation skills to make a decent living. Of course if you win enough life is good but that goes without saying. The most money in golf has always been off the course not on the course.

I think it may be better for players today but even guys who made it on the PGA tour and Won have a hard time making ends meet. I have met a lot former PGA pro's who either got a job in Sales or actually teach now for a living.

For a person to make it on a tour you have got to have good PR and negotiation skills to make a decent living. Of course if you win enough life is good but that goes without saying. The most money in golf has always been off the course not on the course.

That outlook is probably outdated. In 2018, one hundred and fourteen players made at least one million dollars. In one year.

It may be hard to stay on tour, but once you’re there it sure looks like the cash is there to take home.

I agree. There is nothing compelling about a LPGA lifestyle unless you are one of the best. I think the same can be said for every Professional Women's sport.

Just guessing at this point, but I would think Web.Com tour players are better off financially than LPGA.

Somewhere along the way, people have quit letting kids be kids. It ok to fail, if you learn and grow from it. No one has ever made it through this life without failing at something. I would rather they learn young versus when they are out of school and on their own. It is going to be interesting watching the youth grow up!

You ever see that guy in a big straw hat walking way ahead of the group? He is set up on a shady mound behind the green on approaches and is half way down the fairway when the kids tee off? Rude SOB doesn't talk to anybody all day, not really sure which kid is his?

Yeah that's me.

That is me as well. Backpack, Hat, Ear buds.

That outlook is probably outdated. In 2018, one hundred and fourteen players made at least one million dollars. In one year.

It may be hard to stay on tour, but once you're there it sure looks like the cash is there to take home.

A million Dollars isn't what is used to be either. Especially when you consider all the expenses and losing half of that to taxes. You also have to remember they may have an agent, travel expenses and other fees like paying their caddie. Add it all up and would not be surprised if they only cleared 200k. Not starving but also not going to be enough to retire and play golf the rest of your life.

The guys killing it get endorsements and play a lot corporate functions and there the people that most people would recognize on tour.

It may be hard to stay on tour, but once you're there it sure looks like the cash is there to take home.

A million Dollars isn't what is used to be either. Especially when you consider all the expenses and losing half of that to taxes. You also have to remember they may have an agent, travel expenses and other fees like paying their caddie. Add it all up and would not be surprised if they only cleared 200k. Not starving but also not going to be enough to retire and play golf the rest of your life.

The guys killing it get endorsements and play a lot corporate functions and there the people that most people would recognize on tour.

Probably correct, but what else is a tour grinder gonna do for 200/year with a chance to get ten times that much? They aren’t making that as a club pro. Especially when compared to the LPGA, if you polled 200 graduating D1 golfers if they would take a guaranteed spot on the tour clearing at least 300/year, I’m guessing most would take that. It’s not Tiger Woods, but it’s a pretty good living.

Probably correct, but what else is a tour grinder gonna do for 200/year with a chance to get ten times that much? They aren't making that as a club pro. Especially when compared to the LPGA, if you polled 200 graduating D1 golfers if they would take a guaranteed spot on the tour clearing at least 300/year, I'm guessing most would take that. It's not Tiger Woods, but it's a pretty good living.

I've met a lot these guys along with Ex NFL players selling things like commercial real estate and investment products like 401k or insurance to large companies. They end up making a lot more than 200k too. Ironically you could say golf was the ticket because they are where they are because they played golf.

If you can play good golf and have good stories you can make a decent living in Sales for sure.

I don't pick up my daughter from gymnastics very often but I wanted to see her floor routine so I went and in the parent holding pen there's a great poster up on the wall.

Dear ABC Parents,

Please refrain from comparing your child with other students. We believe that each child is unique, with their own strengths and weaknesses, and as long as they are consistent in their attendance and and give their best effort while in class, they will progress at a pace appropriate for them. Look for the progress your child is making in gymnastics and celebrate it!

Yours truly,

ABC Staff

This is double-speak.

What they're really saying is

Always Be Closing!

Always Be Closing!

Always Be Closing!

I guess the OP left the building.

If you make a million dollars, spend a quarter of it on travel, pay your caddie $70k, then pay 40% of what's left in taxes, then you made $408,000.00 after taxes. Even if you spend $50 to 100k on a swing coach, nutritionist, physical trainer, masseuses, or whatever you cleared in the neighborhood of $300k to $350k. Most would think that would provide a decent lifestyle and retirement for playing a game 4 days a week. I fear some of you may have lost touch? If perhaps you're wonderful daughter golf prodigy did not qualify for LPGA Q School and decided to pursue her backup, perhaps a career in education as that's what she got her degree in she would have a starting salary of $30k to $50k depending on where she decided to live and the average salary for her over her career would be just shy of $60k. Less than 1/5th of her potential LPGA net income. Perhaps she wants to be a firefighter, nurse, police officer, or paralegal? Once again, all noble professions, and none of them a fraction of her potential as a professional athlete. Hard for me to understand how that is not a good income other than the optimism and over-reaching draconian parenting will only result in her being a top surgeon, CEO, or architect where on average she might equal her potential LPGA income.

Of course there is a lot of travel. Probably nearly the same amount as a Wholesale or Manufacturing Sales Associate that would earn on average $60,000.00 per year. Once again, a nearly un-livable wage for our prodigy.

I agree. There is nothing compelling about a LPGA lifestyle unless you are one of the best. I think the same can be said for every Professional Women's sport.

Just guessing at this point, but I would think Web.Com tour players are better off financially than LPGA.

Sungjae Im was #1 on 2018 Web.com money list with $534,326.

$534,326 would be #43 on 2018 LPGA money list.

https://www.pgatour.com/webcom/stats/stat.02668.html

http://www.lpga.com/statistics/money/official-money

I don't pick up my daughter from gymnastics very often but I wanted to see her floor routine so I went and in the parent holding pen there's a great poster up on the wall.

Dear ABC Parents,

Please refrain from comparing your child with other students. We believe that each child is unique, with their own strengths and weaknesses, and as long as they are consistent in their attendance and and give their best effort while in class, they will progress at a pace appropriate for them. Look for the progress your child is making in gymnastics and celebrate it!

Yours truly,

ABC Staff

This is double-speak.

What they're really saying is

Always Be Closing!

Always Be Closing!

Always Be Closing!

someone is always closing either you are closing them or they are closing you.

I notice you write, "I hate playing with that parent."

Is it a team event, father / daughter? Do you hate observing her play with the children of those parents? Do you caddy and consider yourself part of her "team" like Spieth and Greller?

Not judging, just curious.

Nope I'm still here. Most of my experiences come from events where its stroke play events. It has nothing to do with the children of the adults I am referring to. Yes I am the caddy for my daughter until she fires me which I hope is soon. Do I consider myself part of her team? Any Caddy player is a team from my standpoint would you consider Spieth and Greller a team?, but Its never my win or loss its hers. I'm there to watch have fun and support her. But I think you might be missing the point. My daughter is average at best for her age but I'm talking about the guy who has a reason for every mistake his kid makes. Blocks one in the tree. The shaft might be cracked. Missed the putt oh I forgot to put "winter" balls into play. But she shot 31 yesterday. Whatever it is. Just go out there support and love watching your kid play. She not Lexi Thompson and probably never will be.

I notice you write, "I hate playing with that parent."

Is it a team event, father / daughter? Do you hate observing her play with the children of those parents? Do you caddy and consider yourself part of her "team" like Spieth and Greller?

Not judging, just curious.

Nope I'm still here. Most of my experiences come from events where its stroke play events. It has nothing to do with the children of the adults I am referring to. Yes I am the caddy for my daughter until she fires me which I hope is soon. Do I consider myself part of her team? Any Caddy player is a team from my standpoint would you consider Spieth and Greller a team?, but Its never my win or loss its hers. I'm there to watch have fun and support her. But I think you might be missing the point. My daughter is average at best for her age but I'm talking about the guy who has a reason for every mistake his kid makes. Blocks one in the tree. The shaft might be cracked. Missed the putt oh I forgot to put "winter" balls into play. But she shot 31 yesterday. Whatever it is. Just go out there support and love watching your kid play. She not Lexi Thompson and probably never will be.

I don't disagree with you but I have to ask why do you care? Lots things happen in tournaments you never see in practice. I am sure everyone has seen where practice is perfect only to see it mess-up during a round.

I know it's a lot better when you don't have to caddy anymore you can just sit back and watch them. Being a caddy for a younger kid is tough. I dread doing it for my 8 year old the experience is a lot different.