How great will Cameron Champ be?

Darth Putter

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was one of those ; JB Holmes gonna be awesome! Alas that hasn't worked out too well....so I won't jinx CC with my prognostication BUT I like his chances....nvm

Four PGA Tour wins, $23m+ in career earnings. Might not be "awesome!" but it's not bad.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I was one of those ; JB Holmes gonna be awesome! Alas that hasn't worked out too well....so I won't jinx CC with my prognostication BUT I like his chances....nvm

Four PGA Tour wins, $23m+ in career earnings. Might not be "awesome!" but it's not bad.

Gary Woodland too. Only player on tour with a measured 200 mph ball speed during his rookie season. Also, I am overly impressed how well Cameron has played with wins on both tours but were there any top 100 players in those fields?

was fortunate to be his group's scorer at the RustOleum Tournament last summer.

really a nice upbeat guy and oh boy could he shoot.

now that he's got the media coverage everyone can see that now.

that autographed ball is a keeper.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

My hope is that he’s great but I don’t see him getting to Tiger/Jack level . Both Tiger and Jack had stellar amateur careers before turning pro. I’m still more excited for Champ in 2019 than just about anyone else . If I had to put a high bar on Champ it would be getting to Phil level which again will take a long time to play out. I wish him the best and hopefully I’m just as excited about him next year at this time.

My hope is that he's great but I don't see him getting to Tiger/Jack level . Both Tiger and Jack had stellar amateur careers before turning pro. I'm still more excited for Champ in 2019 than just about anyone else . If I had to put a high bar on Champ it would be getting to Phil level

Saying Champ will be at Phil's level as a pro is completely discounting Phil's amateur career. Phil had one hell of an amateur career including winning a PGA Tour event. Phil's amateur career is one of the best in history and puts most other amateur careers to shame. To say nothing of his junior accomplishments. Champ won't sniff what Phil has accomplished as a professional. FWIW I'm not a Phil fan and I like Champ. Some perspective is needed.

https://en.wikipedia...on#College_golf

Mickelson attended Arizona State University in Tempe on a golf scholarship and became the face of amateur golf in the United States, capturing three NCAA individual championships and three Haskins Awards (1990, 1991, 1992) as the outstanding collegiate golfer. With three individual NCAA championships, he shares the record for most individual NCAA championships alongside Ben Crenshaw. Mickelson also led the Sun Devils to the NCAA team title in 1990. Over the course of his collegiate career, he won 16 tournaments.[12]

Mickelson was the second collegiate golfer to earn first-team All-American honors all four years. In 1990, he also became the first with a left-handed swing to win the U.S. Amateur title. Mickelson secured perhaps his greatest achievement as an amateur in January 1991, winning his first PGA Tour event, the Northern Telecom Open, in Tucson.[13][14] At age 20, he was only the sixth amateur to win a tour event and the first in over five years after Scott Verplank at the Western Open in August 1985.

^^the past you replied to did say the "high bar" for Champ was Phil. Discounting the odd idea that Champ couple reach really epic heights of Tiger/Jack.

A lot of posts have been like that. Explaining what they think is the best Champ could do in his career.

For instance I expect Champ to win ten times or so in his career. It might include a major or two. He has the type of game perfect for tour golf. Long and a good putter. Not the type that will likely be in the mix week in and week out but will have great weeks. I would see the high bar as 20 wins and a few majors.

But it's all silly conjecture isn't it? 24 year old just letting his game it seems. Who knows what could happen if he hones his wedges like DJ for instance? He has shown great patience off the tee using driver only where warranted. Must be nice to have a 300 yard fairway finding iron you can hit off the tee.

^^the past you replied to did say the "high bar" for Champ was Phil. Discounting the odd idea that Champ couple reach really epic heights of Tiger/Jack.

A lot of posts have been like that. Explaining what they think is the best Champ could do in his career.

For instance I expect Champ to win ten times or so in his career. It might include a major or two. He has the type of game perfect for tour golf. Long and a good putter. Not the type that will likely be in the mix week in and week out but will have great weeks. I would see the high bar as 20 wins and a few majors.

But it's all silly conjecture isn't it? 24 year old just letting his game it seems. Who knows what could happen if he hones his wedges like DJ for instance? He has shown great patience off the tee using driver only where warranted. Must be nice to have a 300 yard fairway finding iron you can hit off the tee.

Irons are getting mega strong. Dustin flies his M4 4 iron 265 yards. I'm almost 60 with a knee replacement and I fly my M4 5 iron 205 yards and it has replaced my Mizuno MP15 3 and 4 irons. It seems like the majority of the tour hits their 9 irons well over 160 yards with ball speeds in the mid to high 120s. My 9 is 100 mph ball speed. At least I used fly Cameron's drives by 200 yards hitting next to him on the range. He was only 5 or 6 at the time though.

I think Champ is almost like a late bloomer due to his prodigious length. The other parts of his game weren't emphasized enough for him to be winning much as an amateur. I'm saying that because it seems as a pro those other parts have gotten way better, covering what others say were holes in his game. He's playing better competition in PGA tournaments vs amateur tournaments, so I think while amateur wins really tells you about talent, he is still performing better than some other past top am's in the in the pro circuit. Of course this is all at a very elite level. He wasn't sucking, he just got better.

OK i just read some articles on him and it seems that at the beginning of his college career he was struggling with bulging disks in his back (!). Not surprising with his swing speed, but he started working out and stretching and obviously got better. So really, for amateurs trying to emulate, make sure you are strong so you don't hurt yourself trying. Anyway, I do think that's partly why he struggled his first year and never fully dominated in his college career.

There's a lot more to come from him. Hope both he and Sam Burns have great careers. If he gets his iron game and short game dialed in to PGA elite level, watch out number 1! Might take a couple years though.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

Still waiting for the Matthew Wolff vs. Cameron Champ thread ala the Rahm vs. Bryson thread.

My money is on Wolff.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Couldn’t agree more. It’s not impossible for Champ to be in the conversation with Jack and Tiger by the end of his career. Very unlikely but it has happened in other sports. What would the football experts have said about Tom Brady when he started his first game at age 22 after such a mediocre amateur career.

Probably see in two or three seasons if he dominates or just be a part of conversation week to week...but not the conversation.

It really takes someone extra special to get to where Tiger/Jack was.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

I'm a fan because he's a local boy and I appreciate his story. So, I've watched much of his early PGA time (and his last win on the previous tour). I've seen some substantial issues with his short game. Some chunked chips, enough misdirected short irons to make me wince. If he can hone that he'll probably go down as one of the best ever. I don't see this kid getting in the gym and doing some risky stuff. He doesn't need more power.

My hope is that he's great but I don't see him getting to Tiger/Jack level . Both Tiger and Jack had stellar amateur careers before turning pro. I'm still more excited for Champ in 2019 than just about anyone else . If I had to put a high bar on Champ it would be getting to Phil level

Saying Champ will be at Phil's level as a pro is completely discounting Phil's amateur career. Phil had one hell of an amateur career including winning a PGA Tour event. Phil's amateur career is one of the best in history and puts most other amateur careers to shame. To say nothing of his junior accomplishments. Champ won't sniff what Phil has accomplished as a professional. FWIW I'm not a Phil fan and I like Champ. Some perspective is needed.

https://en.wikipedia...on#College_golf

Mickelson attended Arizona State University in Tempe on a golf scholarship and became the face of amateur golf in the United States, capturing three NCAA individual championships and three Haskins Awards (1990, 1991, 1992) as the outstanding collegiate golfer. With three individual NCAA championships, he shares the record for most individual NCAA championships alongside Ben Crenshaw. Mickelson also led the Sun Devils to the NCAA team title in 1990. Over the course of his collegiate career, he won 16 tournaments.[12]

Mickelson was the second collegiate golfer to earn first-team All-American honors all four years. In 1990, he also became the first with a left-handed swing to win the U.S. Amateur title. Mickelson secured perhaps his greatest achievement as an amateur in January 1991, winning his first PGA Tour event, the Northern Telecom Open, in Tucson.[13][14] At age 20, he was only the sixth amateur to win a tour event and the first in over five years after Scott Verplank at the Western Open in August 1985.

Phil's college career is probably the best ever and an order of magnitude better than Champ.

Nobody we have seen is the next Tiger or Jack, and I doubt any we have seen are the next Phil.

Probably see in two or three seasons if he dominates or just be a part of conversation week to week...but not the conversation.

It really takes someone extra special to get to where Tiger/Jack was.

Putting Champ in the same conversation with Tiger and Jack is ludicrous.

Maybe putting Champ in a conversation including Rohm or Dechambeau would be OK, but even that is a stretch.

Did anyone put Champ in the Tiger Jack conversation? Other than to say he is not in that conversation?

Most have said he had a solid start to his career. A career that has a lot of potential.

Did anyone put Champ in the Tiger Jack conversation? Other than to say he is not in that conversation?

Yes. Two votes.

They can’t respond, we banned them from the forums for violating the GolfWRX lunacy policy.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Yes. Two votes.

They can’t respond, we banned them from the forums for violating the GolfWRX lunacy policy.

If there was a GolfWRX Lunacy Policy, this forum would have been shut down after two Tiger Woods threads.

WhoTF is Cameron Champ???

I take a few weeks off and this is what I return to, lol??

I agree with Britboy, “Cam Champ” sucks?

I also agree with Pin High, that while it may be a tad early to punch his ticket to the HoF, his early days on tour, regardless of what tourney that he won, have been superb and he has punched his ticket into events for the next two years, which takes a whole lotta pressure off of a young guy’s back and allows him to just go out and Play, not worryin about when and where he’s gonna be Playin next week, next month or next year.

Oh yea, regarding that less than 10% of every Pro that has ever planted the peg in a PGA event has or will ever win one, and I don’t give a s*** if it is a “glorified web.com” event(I would loooove for someone to sit at a table in a PGA lockeroom and chirp this asinine comment??Seriously??? Ya think so??!? Why don’t ya ask Patrick Burke(Rangersgoalie) what he thinks of that statement, lmao??. Seriously, message him and ask him!! I loooove this friggin place??), it’s a PGA title, with all the benefits, perks and monetary gains that come with it, and it puts the Camster(I like this much better than friggin “Cam”) in a very small, select and elite group of men.

Will he win again?

WhoTF knows, lol

My Tour Bud won his rookie year, and like Danny Mo, he thought he’d get back to that circle again and he’s been chasing it for the past 26 years, so there sure are no guarantees.

However one thing that I do not question and I am confident that Cameron Champ has enough of, and that’s mental toughness and mental game.

You do not win on the PGA Tour without it.

Even if it’s only one time, 72 holes, 4 days~

For that one tournament, 72 holes and 4 days, he showed that he’s got “it.”

Oh, and I know who Cameron Champ is?

And “Cam Champ” still sucks?

Cameron Champ?

He’s a Stud?

And I was dead arse serious about messaging Patrick and telling him ya think that Cameron won a “glorified web.com event,” lmao??

You guys kill me, lmao

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• 4 weeks later...