new st190 driver review

tourpure

Internally - the biggest story is the shift to tour usage. So think the vid is more about how the ST190 ended up in Keith's bag - rather than a bunch of numbers and tech. When you've had several years of no driver usage on tour, the first player is a big deal. Marcus Fraser put his in play the same week at the British Masters. Luke Donald has put his in play since. There have been a couple of non contracted users too. Not going to win any driver counts just yet - but there is a big shift from ST180 to ST190. Another vid attached from the European Tour Performance Studio (you might have missed it).

I guess I'm confused as to who the audience is for this video...

They share with you the detailed Trackman numbers, but there is zero in the way of actual driver specifics. No shaft info, Keith eludes to hot melt but there is no further exploration of why (so no club head weighting info), Chris doesn't speak to the improvements made in this iteration of driver, etc.

Maybe I have unrealistic expectations...

I think the video is aimed at a wider audience than WRX, hence the normal speak and not techie talk. I could be mistaken in my assumption though.

I think the point was simply to show that, like Mizuno irons, PGA Tour players are talking about Mizuno woods. That is the breakthrough. In the past Mizuno woods were not strong contenders to get in Tour bags, but that has changed with the ST190.

Mitchell was a TaylorMade driver player who tested the ST190 as a favor to his friend Jeff Cook, a Mizuno tour player rep. And Mitchell was smitten by the driver to the point that he put it in play. And now that he has, he loves it and other players are noticing the club.

I believe the resin reference is to the TaylorMade M5/M6. Mitchell mentions glue in the head. That is part of the new TM design. They purposely made a driver face thst is hot beyond the USGA limits and then injected resin to stiffen the face and bring it back within the legal limit.

Mizuno also made the ST190 too hot to be conforming but used internal strictures — ribs — to stiffen the face and make it legal. Two different ways of doing the same thing. Mitchell preferred the sound and feel of the Mizuno method.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

My local PGASS in Southlake has the mizuno heads. They are out there.

I'm in Southlake too, will check it out.

I don't know if the ST 190 heads are there yet...I was more commenting on someone's post above that no one ever has Mizuno heads to demo. I've always found my local PGASS to have the full line of Mizuno heads to demo. Whether they have the ST 190 heads yet, I don't know.

I don't know if the ST 190 heads are there yet...I was more commenting on someone's post above that no one ever has Mizuno heads to demo. I've always found my local PGASS to have the full line of Mizuno heads to demo. Whether they have the ST 190 heads yet, I don't know.

Make that three of us that go to the Southlake store, and yes they have them. :nyam: They did say they will not have the 190s until mid Feb. :blush2:

The front page article mentions that there are 26 no upchsrfe shaft options, any idea what they are?

Would also like to know what the other "no up-charge" offerings will be besides the Atmos line they've been showing so far.

Is there anyone with any experience buying brand new Mizuno drivers? Or will this year's offerings have more/less options than usual?

Impressed with the American player. Great numbers. I'll have to test these two models out.

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

I you guys like Rogue, you will love these new drivers. Look pretty close, but the feel and sound is better to me. ;)

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

Make that three of us that go to the Southlake store, and yes they have them. :nyam: They did say they will not have the 190s until mid Feb. :blush2:

I haven’t been to the Southlake store but I feel like I want to now so I can join the club.

The front page article mentions that there are 26 no upchsrfe shaft options, any idea what they are?

Would also like to know what the other "no up-charge" offerings will be besides the Atmos line they've been showing so far.

Is there anyone with any experience buying brand new Mizuno drivers? Or will this year's offerings have more/less options than usual?

I’m very interested in shaft offerings as well. I’m pretty much otherwise ready to plunk down.

No upcharge options are always nice, but I also hope they have a comprehensive selection of “exotics”, even if there is a reasonable upcharge. For the current line, it seems like they only offered the tensei non pro. And not every weight or every flex was available in each shaft. I don’t know if they are able to custom order shafts “off menu” or not.

I think if the st190 comes in at 400 dollars and has a strong shaft selection, it should be a run away winner.

I you guys like Rogue, you will love these new drivers. Look pretty close, but the feel and sound is better to me. ;)

in what way? sorry, but it's sort of a pet peeve of mine when someone says something "sounds/feels" better than another club without qualifying it in someone. to some people loudish and tingy is better, others prefer dull and/or muted.

I loved the st180. I couldn't get over the blue. I would be super interested in this if I was in the market for a new driver.

+1. I just bought a Rogue driver & 3 wood last Spring, and I don't replace clubs very often. I like Mizuno a lot, that's what my hybrid & all irons/wedges are. But I never considered the ST180 because it was blue, that simple. I realize that doesn't make sense to others, but how a club looks is a factor in what I will buy & play.

I loved the st180. I couldn't get over the blue. I would be super interested in this if I was in the market for a new driver.

+1. I just bought a Rogue driver & 3 wood last Spring, and I don't replace clubs very often. I like Mizuno a lot, that's what my hybrid & all irons/wedges are. But I never considered the ST180 because it was blue, that simple. I realize that doesn't make sense to others, but how a club looks is a factor in what I will buy & play.

i think in this case it does make some sense since you are seeing the color during the course of play unlike complaining how the sole of a driver looks when the only time you see it is uncovered in your bag. if something doesn't fit your eye at address, it just doesn't fit your eye...be it color, headshape or otherwise.

Looooooove the stock length at 45". This and Cobra offering an optional stock setup at 44.5" really are enticing me to just buy for fun to test. I really can't stand that the others only offer stock length at 45.5 and 45.75. I'm never going to play it at that length, and then I have to go through a bunch of hassle making them shorter and adding weight to the head.

Also, if I can get the regular ST190 with Atmos black for no up-charge at $400, will buy and try for sure. Atmos Black worked well for me in a fitting at Club Champion. I know it is stock on the ST190G, but hopefully can order it on the non-G for no extra $. Funny how $400 seems like a steal these days...

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

Mizuno STG 15* Ventus Blue 7x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 5

I was always taylormade driver since the release of the original M2. I made a switch to the ST180HL driver last season because the results were that much more consistent. I told myself I would get over the blue and sound which was obvious steps behind TM. I really don't think the numbers will be that much of a difference with the new driver but the sound is far ahead of what the 180 is at. That and the new look will get me to upgrade. I am bummed with how much the price of my ST180 driver has dropped in just one year though. Will take a quiet a hit upgrading.

Looooooove the stock length at 45". This and Cobra offering an optional stock setup at 44.5" really are enticing me to just buy for fun to test. I really can't stand that the others only offer stock length at 45.5 and 45.75. I'm never going to play it at that length, and then I have to go through a bunch of hassle making them shorter and adding weight to the head.

Also, if I can get the regular ST190 with Atmos black for no up-charge at $400, will buy and try for sure. Atmos Black worked well for me in a fitting at Club Champion. I know it is stock on the ST190G, but hopefully can order it on the non-G for no extra $. Funny how $400 seems like a steal these days...

Is the Atmos black similar to the Matrix Black TIe?

Is the Atmos black similar to the Matrix Black TIe?

Not sure, both are low launch low spin. I've hit both but years in between, my initial thought is the Atmos feels little smoother/softer in the hands and the Black Tie a little more stout/stable.

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

Mizuno STG 15* Ventus Blue 7x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 5

Maybe its been mentioned and I missed it, but does anyone know or understand the settings with the weights in terms of creating a bias? Was hitting this yesterday in some driver fittings and we were trying to figure it out, not info from Mizuno with the driver and there's nothing on the website yet. We were working on setting it up fade bias, so would that mean the toe weight needs to be closet to the face and the heel weight furthest back or vice versa? Had it set with the toe weight forward and the heel weight back. Great looking and feeling driver, was hitting it with the Atmos Blue, was getting good distance and spin numbers with it but was the worst in dispersion for me in regards to the others I have hit so far.

**This is more of a product fitting I am doing for a company as opposed to actual fitting for myself so I am not always able to get the most optimum shaft choice, get as close to possible.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Ventus Blue TR 6X

3 Wood: Titleist TSR2+ 14.5* w/Ventus Blue TR 7x

5 Wood: Titleist TSi2 18* w/Aldila Rogue White 130 80 TX

Irons: Titleist T-200 3 iron w/Ventus Black 9TX

Titleist T-150 4-PW w/Project X 6.5

Wedges: SM9 Raw 52F & SM9 58T grind w/Project X 6.0

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5

Never far away: Custom Slighter Tacoma

Like many here, I'm a huge Mizuno fan and have used their irons for last 20 years now. Would love to see them increase their driver presence on tour and with better amateurs. I notice from Getty images however that Davis Love already seems to have replaced his with a Titleist TS3.

Ironically the familiarity that makes players gravitate to Mizuno irons may be the thing that keeps the driver out of their bag..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For those asking about the shaft options, here is the complete list of "no-charge" shaft/weight/and flex options. Just put an order in with Discount Dans for a ST190 9.5* with Atmos Black Tour Spec 60X. Their price cant be touched on these!

Driver:  Cobra Darkspeed LS 9* Tour 2.0 Black 65X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 14* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 5-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

i guess by now every one knows who Mitchell is

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B