2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Rory Mcilroy has become a bad pressure player (There, we've said it)

bscinstnct

Bs6SgTFCYAAoTtd.jpg

In more important matters, I don't care what anyone says...wide legs and pleats were better than skinny flat fronts.

I think there's room for Jimmy Hoffa in either of Rickie's pant legs. Thank god that trend is gone.

Suits with pleats and long creases were the thing in the 90s, was just what you wore. In retrospect, it got a bit out of hand with the baggyness and also, they pleats/creases would get unpressed and you ended up with that "baloon" look.

Flat front is much better.

TW did manage to pull of the baggy look. Well, when he was playin like this....

TigerWoods.jpg

Well I'm 55 so I was there and a part of it unfortunately. But you are right it did get out of hand. David Duval when he shot 59 in the desert or Tiger when he made his ace on 16 at Scottsdale are two good examples.

G2DuvalAP.jpg

Woods-Topper-SI.jpg

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no magical explanation, and the cure is simple...he has to want it. Clearly, in his interviews he stated he was not all about chasing wins at all costs. He looked/looks pretty comfortable with the big endorsement contracts, private jet, and enough game to "contend" pretty much every tournament. He likes his view of a well rounded life. I'm not faulting him, and not calling him a choker. He just doesn't get picked for any majors pools / bets.

Last year was last year, so those 6 tournaments where he didn't get the win are history, but it did lead Rory to play at the Sentry for the first time, a course he has not seen. So instead of calling it 0 for 7 in final groups, call it 0 for 1. The fact he played in the tournament shows he is taking the schedule/game with a different strategy. Maybe that leads to him being in better form for majors, maybe not.

I really do not see him as that far off. There was another guy just like him until he broke through and got his first Masters...Phil...ahem...

Its reasonable to assume at this point he has gone to a sports psychologist but his lack of confidence when something goes wrong is glaring. He clearly hasn't found the mental reset button when that happens so maybe its time for another caddie change. He went to his best friend for familiarity but I think he needs to find a very confident person that he can feed off of. Not an a****** but cocky enough that he can ride the line of being the supporting character but when needed, takes the reigns as the Alpha. Rory used to and still is an Alpha but maybe he has calmed over the years with age and likes not being the one in charge of everything. No evidence whatsoever for this on my part but not being a Type A personality myself, I know that when I play with my Type A friend or when we went out to the bars, they instilled confidence in me at times and maybe this is what Rory needs on the course.

What he needs to do is get super p'eed off at a competitor, and decide to just bury the other guy.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

See, now we're talking about important social issues. Baggy pants are and always have been where it's at, they'll be back! Wouldn't mind seeing see a nice cuff from time to time too, lol.

That guy was tailored.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

There's no magical explanation, and the cure is simple...he has to want it. Clearly, in his interviews he stated he was not all about chasing wins at all costs. He looked/looks pretty comfortable with the big endorsement contracts, private jet, and enough game to "contend" pretty much every tournament. He likes his view of a well rounded life. I'm not faulting him, and not calling him a choker. He just doesn't get picked for any majors pools / bets.

Last year was last year, so those 6 tournaments where he didn't get the win are history, but it did lead Rory to play at the Sentry for the first time, a course he has not seen. So instead of calling it 0 for 7 in final groups, call it 0 for 1. The fact he played in the tournament shows he is taking the schedule/game with a different strategy. Maybe that leads to him being in better form for majors, maybe not.

I really do not see him as that far off. There was another guy just like him until he broke through and got his first Masters...Phil...ahem...

"Wanting it" is a beginning, not a cure.

He can want it and still not win. But, I agree that the starting point is getting his hunger to prove he is the best back. I remember an old interview he did and said that as he was growing up, he know he was really good. He didn't have the length yet but he waited for it to come and once he got it, he wasn't afraid of anyone.

I think Rory had a Tiger like desire at one point to prove he was the best. He was probably underestimated a lot due to his stature and that drove him even more. But I think his motivation to beat everybody in his way was very high.

Not sure if that's his mind set anymore. I don't question that he wants to win. But I wonder if he is in a mode where "it's ok" if he does not.

The clickbait incentive is too tempting for online publications.

Nonetheless, while I knew Rory wasn't playing great, I did not know..

"Rory has played in seven final pairings (or threesomes) in the past year, and he hasn’t captured even one of those titles."

Yup his win at bayhill he was in the the 4th before last group i believe. it seems his course management leaves him at odd times. For a ball striker of his caliber youd think hes missing putts only in those final rounds but his whole game falls apart. he was 54th in final round scoring last year.If you take out his 64 at bay hill he falls to 122nd. That tells you alot about his mental game at this point in his career. As a reference point phil was 4th place in final round scoring this past season almost 2 shots better than rory as a 47 year old. The way rory drives it that should never ever happen

Should we say the same with Tiger being only 41st in final round scoring - along with cherry picking one of his low final rounds so he falls into the 100’s?

Some perspective, Rory is tied-1st in players having the most wins when trailing entering the final round on PGA Tour since 2010, when he joined FT. So comparatively compared to Rory’s own performances in previous years, yes 2018 has been poor by his/any previous standards. But I think the explanation is nothing but a mix of poor swing issues that we’ve seen throughout the year and in other rounds rearing their ugly head and these poor results being mere circumstance. It’s a little like his “3rd round issue” a few years back he was said to have had after a collection of similar poor 3rd round results that people naively read something into it when it was just a random poor run of 3rd round results.

Also, it’s wise to look a little more deeply and take into account the reality that of the last 7 final group events Rory’s been a healthy 3 shots behind the leader in 4 of those 7 events which means Rory has had to push hard quickly in order to put pressure on his opponents. Strategically how Rory’s gone about putting pressure on his opponents I think he could have done better in this regard during 2018 - he actually spoke to this point prior to the TOC final round about this time not pushing too hard and “letting it unfold”. Yes the result wasn’t there either but prior to the TOC 1st round he did speak to his new off season swing changes and him looking forward to seeing how they hold up under pressure of tournament play. Well, he got that answer.

Given that it’s the 1st event of the year, and as I know all too well, it’s a process with weeks old new swing changes, especially for tour pros testing under under final round pressure and applying pressure testing so early in the year. So all in all, yes it was another poor final round, but T4 for the week makes for pretty good feedback showing plenty of good signs on those changes but with much work still to be done if they’re to hold up well enough to win.

Its reasonable to assume at this point he has gone to a sports psychologist but his lack of confidence when something goes wrong is glaring. He clearly hasn't found the mental reset button when that happens so maybe its time for another caddie change. He went to his best friend for familiarity but I think he needs to find a very confident person that he can feed off of. Not an a****** but cocky enough that he can ride the line of being the supporting character but when needed, takes the reigns as the Alpha. Rory used to and still is an Alpha but maybe he has calmed over the years with age and likes not being the one in charge of everything. No evidence whatsoever for this on my part but not being a Type A personality myself, I know that when I play with my Type A friend or when we went out to the bars, they instilled confidence in me at times and maybe this is what Rory needs on the course.

Don’t forget Rory got rid of his caddie BECAUSE he wanted to take charge and have more ownership on every level of his game on and off the field. Also, he loves being the alpha dog in the biggest events… I watched and followed him first hand at the Ryder Cup in France. If anything, I think he thrives on the attention and being fired up. Agree on him having a stronger character on the bag though.

"Wanting it" is a beginning, not a cure.

He can want it and still not win. But, I agree that the starting point is getting his hunger to prove he is the best back. I remember an old interview he did and said that as he was growing up, he know he was really good. He didn't have the length yet but he waited for it to come and once he got it, he wasn't afraid of anyone.

I think Rory had a Tiger like desire at one point to prove he was the best. He was probably underestimated a lot due to his stature and that drove him even more. But I think his motivation to beat everybody in his way was very high.

Not sure if that's his mind set anymore. I don't question that he wants to win. But I wonder if he is in a mode where "it's ok" if he does not.

bscinstnct:

“But I wonder if he is in a mode where "it's ok" if he does not.”

–––––––––

I absolutely agree with you on this point… Rory’s always been a very grounded and philosophical guy about golf and life in general, and I think he’s become even more philosophical and content due to his early success, yes he ‘wants’ more… but he doesn’t ‘need’ it now. That’s a big difference.

"Rory has played in seven final pairings (or threesomes) in the past year, and he hasn’t captured even one of those titles."

Yup his win at bayhill he was in the the 4th before last group i believe. it seems his course management leaves him at odd times. For a ball striker of his caliber youd think hes missing putts only in those final rounds but his whole game falls apart. he was 54th in final round scoring last year.If you take out his 64 at bay hill he falls to 122nd. That tells you alot about his mental game at this point in his career. As a reference point phil was 4th place in final round scoring this past season almost 2 shots better than rory as a 47 year old. The way rory drives it that should never ever happen

Every time watch him (which, admittedly, isn't that often), I see him hitting wedges to 12 to 18 feet when guys who are dialed in are knocking them to 4 to 8 feet. I know what the tour averages are from 100 to 120 yards, but it still seems like he underachieves with his wedges, especially. Am I crazy?

You are bang on Obee… Rory’s decline in ballstriking, particularly Approach play in recent years is the key and biggest cause for his decline in results. Last year Rory’s putting was virtually equal to his 2nd best ever putting year (2012) when he won 5 events including 1 major. Rory’s ballstriking performance between 2012 & 2018 are miles apart.

• SG-TEE…#6 (+0.761)

• SG-APP…#56 (+0.269)

• SG-TEE…#2 (+1.071)

• SG-APP…#2 (+1.002)

Every time watch him (which, admittedly, isn't that often), I see him hitting wedges to 12 to 18 feet when guys who are dialed in are knocking them to 4 to 8 feet. I know what the tour averages are from 100 to 120 yards, but it still seems like he underachieves with his wedges, especially. Am I crazy?

You are bang on Obee… Rory’s decline in ballstriking, particularly Approach play in recent years is the key and biggest cause for his decline in results. Last year Rory’s putting was virtually equal to his 2nd best ever putting year (2012) when he won 5 events including 1 major. Rory’s ballstriking performance between 2012 & 2018 are miles apart.

• SG-TEE…#6 (+0.761)

• SG-APP…#56 (+0.269)

• SG-TEE…#2 (+1.071)

• SG-APP…#2 (+1.002)

Insert boiler plate stuff seen all over --> past performance is not indicative of future results.

It's not his ballstriking. He could drop wedges on a flag repeatedly at the practice range. He knows how to hit the center of the face with accuracy...over and over. Something else is going on long before he steps up to the crucial wedge shot. What it is? Who knows???

I would much rather be in his shoes knowing a few tweaks and I am back in the winning circle, majors included, vs someone like Rahm. Who do think will win a major first in that comparison?

CasualLie:

“Insert boiler plate stuff seen all over --> past performance is not indicative of future results.

It's not his ballstriking. He could drop wedges on a flag repeatedly at the practice range. He knows how to hit the center of the face with accuracy...over and over. Something else is going on long before he steps up to the crucial wedge shot. What it is? Who knows???

I would much rather be in his shoes knowing a few tweaks and I am back in the winning circle, majors included, vs someone like Rahm. Who do think will win a major first in that comparison?”

––––––––––––––––––

I’m not saying it is “indicative of future results”. I’m just highlighting the facts/results of his Approach performance and the decline in those years. This isn’t my opinion, these are the objective facts. Whatever the reason, (mental, technical - I’m observing technical) the result of his Approach performance is the result.

As for your last question, that’s tough one, I think both can and likely will win more majors. I would say Rory IF he can improve his poor Approach play. If not, then Rahm.

CasualLie:

“Insert boiler plate stuff seen all over --> past performance is not indicative of future results.

I would much rather be in his shoes knowing a few tweaks and I am back in the winning circle, majors included, vs someone like Rahm. Who do think will win a major first in that comparison?”

––––––––––––––––––

I’m not saying it is “indicative of future results”. I’m just highlighting the facts/results of his Approach performance and the decline in those years. This isn’t my opinion, these are the objective facts. Whatever the reason, (mental, technical - I’m observing technical) the result of his Approach performance is the result.

As for your last question, that’s tough one, I think both can and likely will win more majors. I would say Rory IF he can improve his poor Approach play. If not, then Rahm.

More majors Rahm? He is still yet to win his first. As good as he is; likely he will not win any majors. That's the cruel reality of golf at the highest levels.

Yes, I see what you are saying. The facts / stats of Rory are indisputable. I just feel like the lack of ballstriking label, in terms of a tour player, not to apply at anyone. They can all strike the ball very well, but sometimes "outside" factors creep in and undermine ability.

I do believe you and I are very much in the same page.

Cheers.

Very few people are capable of having hunger and fire after falling into crazy money. Guys like Tiger, Jordan are borderline psychos.They live through their achievements and are addicted to competition. Thats why someone like Phil despite his sheepish grins is an assassin in money games on tour. Phil has FU money like tiger does yet still wants it and is grinding like a 25 year old trying to keep his card. Some people simply get comfortable and dont like feeling that pressure all the time. If you matched Rorys game with tigers desire heck even Phils resiliency hed have 8-10 majors by the time he was 35. i really hope he finds that ruthlessness he once had. Special player who could do so much more despite streaky putting and subpar wedge game

Bs6SgTFCYAAoTtd.jpg

In more important matters, I don't care what anyone says...wide legs and pleats were better than skinny flat fronts.

Good god i hope your joking!

Please don't tell me your still rocking the baggy turtle necks?

Nike is releasing them again this year

Pretty much every fashion that went away comes back again at some point…

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Bs6SgTFCYAAoTtd.jpg

My wife is a bit younger than I am, and I can remember clearly when I met her in about 2000 that she made fun of my tapered-leg jeans, so went about and bought all new stuff with good wide legs and a length that I all but stepped on when I walked. (A good investment apparently, as she did marry me eventually!) Anyway, we were at nordstrom last week getting me some new pants and the lovely young woman working there made a comment that my current pants were way to long and wide. :D The more things change....

[size=2][i]"I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"[/i][/size]

[size=2]-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom[/size]

Very few people are capable of having hunger and fire after falling into crazy money. Guys like Tiger, Jordan are borderline psychos.They live through their achievements and are addicted to competition. Thats why someone like Phil despite his sheepish grins is an assassin in money games on tour. Phil has FU money like tiger does yet still wants it and is grinding like a 25 year old trying to keep his card. Some people simply get comfortable and dont like feeling that pressure all the time. If you matched Rorys game with tigers desire heck even Phils resiliency hed have 8-10 majors by the time he was 35. i really hope he finds that ruthlessness he once had. Special player who could do so much more despite streaky putting and subpar wedge game

I didn't want to entertain this theory, but it definitely grows on me more each day. While some athletes might lose some of their intrinsic drive for performance, I'd have a tough time telling Rickie Fowler that his talent would materialize in a Major victory if only he cared about winning more than getting wealthy.

Bs6SgTFCYAAoTtd.jpg

We've reached a point in which wearing socks with sandals is considered cool. Therefore anything is possible.

Bs6SgTFCYAAoTtd.jpg

Well....what now?

Dunno we're still cashing big checks.

Was this pic taken in the 80's?

2007 Walker Cup from the Horschel/ Fowler 2&1 win over Caldwell/McIlroy in a Sunday morning match.

The winning US team at Royal County Down

416418725_5566973905001_5566930315001-vs.jpg

Good group, the GBI team won the career slam when Danny Willett won The Masters.

I firmly believe that Jordan Spieth's ascent to the top of the golfing world in 2015 is as much a factor as any in Rorys relatively weak play.

Rory was tagged the new improved golfing prodigy following the Tiger era and he was going to lead this generation. But nobody saw a younger American prodigy in Jordan Spieth coming. Those majors Spieth won took something out of Rory on a mental level. I watched it happen.

I actually believe Jordan is going through something similar. In sport nothing shatters the confidence quicker than being in the presence of somebody better than you. Jordans never feared Dustin, Rory, or Koepka. But somebody's return to golf might have shaken more than the TV ratings. Just saying

Rory is not a bad pressure player because he is not feeling pressure since Royal Liverpool 2014...

Except that any time he thinks about Augusta, he feels immense pressure. He has scheduled this year to be ready for the second weekend in April.

I haven't seen anyone post this yet, so here are his scoring averages by round in 2018:

1st round: 24, 69.65

2nd round: 67, 70.29

3rd round: T1, 68.00 (tied with Tiger)

4th round: T54, 70.00

I could see those numbers supporting both sides of this argument, depending on how you view it before you saw those numbers. Maybe he doesn't play well under the pressure to make the cut, free flows on Saturday and lets his talent fly, then puts himself in contention and doesn't play well under that pressure. Or maybe Saturday is an outlier and he plays to his ability on Sunday. Or maybe this is just a weak data analysis that fits what the thread wants to hear. I'm not digging super deep in the stats here.