Golftec swing analysis what a ripoff

reteemcgee

The complaints about Golftec seem to center on two issues ,pushing golf packages and incompetency among instructors.

There is no doubt that Golftec is aggressive in pushing golfers to purchase packages.Many do not like this approach ,but there is nothing to prevent a golfer from saying NO.But selling packages like this is not limited to just Golftec. There is a group with two locations in Contra Costa County Ca,with most of the newest technology(including Golf Gears).The cost of some of their packages is so high ,that it almost requires a golfer to mortgage his house.

The second ,competency involves Golftec and applies to the entire golf teaching industry.The dirty secret of golf instruction is that there are few(%10-20) really competent instructors .Some NO doubt are at Golftec,but my guess is that most of the better instructors at Golftec eventually either go out on their own or become associated with golf courses.

Another caveat that needs emphasizing is golfers' zombie like belief in technology like Golf Gears,Myswinggolf ,Trackman and force plates.In the right hands technology offers great tools to help a golf a golfer improve.But the best technology in the world will not suddenly transform an incompetent instructor into a competent one.

• 4 months later...

Reviving this semi-zobie thread with another data point. I'm returning to the game - 12 years since I last played a round, 25 years since I played regularly, back then about a 10 handicap - and wanted to get fitted for new clubs and revive my swing. There is a Golftec very close and if you do the fitting and buy the clubs there the fitting is free. After doing some research and hitting some random clubs at a local Roger Dunn (to not great effect), I figured it was worth the experiment. Made an appointment, and already had an idea of what I wanted and my goals. Went through the process of hitting some different heads and shafts while taking measurements (physical and electronic). Settled on the "right answer", not so much for how I'm hitting it now but where I realistically can be with some practice and instruction. Yes, the club price was a bit more than if I bought online (but not by much as these weren't off-the-rack setup), but the personal touch and reinforcement with data was worth it to me.

Also did some video analysis and while it was obvious to me what parts of my swing were wonky, the instructor had some good insight into why that was happening rather than just what was happening. Probably going to sign up for a package, in part due to the fact that it gives you free unlimited bay time. Would I rather be hitting outside on the range? Sure. But the local ranges are mats so getting outside isn't getting me onto turf. Is the package expensive? Yes, though private lessons with a local pro are comparable (local public course is $185/hr). Is there value? For me, yes, as I've got a crazy schedule and having a practice facility that is about 10 blocks away from home and work can make the difference between swinging the club and not (LA traffic can seriously blow, and hard to carry my clubs on a motorcycle and lane split).

I view the tech as a tool. Since I actually get paid to teach (but not golf), I understand that there are good instructors and bad instructors, and different styles. The guy I worked with was fine - low key, no BS. I ordered the clubs from him, and he didn't push lessons or the package, but just said if I wanted we can talk about options. I emailed him afterwards to ask about pricing, he got back to me with a couple of ways to go, but no high pressure.

There certainly are cheaper ways to go, and no doubt, significant variability in the quality of instructors. But it can work for some depending on their situation. Ymmv.

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

Like anything else, finding the instructor who clicks with you is key. I had a few traditional instructors that never did. However, I did click with my GolfTec pro. Got me from about an 18 to a 12. He was able to give me the proper swing positions/thoughts that were backed up on the video. It really helped me to try and get in the right positions and be able to watch instantly the video to see if I did. Or to see what I did wrong on video and then work on it with video in between every swing. That was the most valuable. I was working on an inside, under plane swing. No way to deny that on video. I too liked the indoor practice when it was too hot or too cold to practice during the day. Also a great lunch time escape from work!

I am now a 9 HC but would have never gotten there without the initial rebuild at GolfTec.

But again, some will not like it. My coach asked me what shot shape I wanted so they did not seem to have one way to swing.

I wish you luck and hope it works for you. Ignore anyone who tells you something is not “correct” if it works for you.

So i booked a swing analysis due to wanting to punch my driver in the face (just my driver). I talked to the guy on the phone told him I was struggling with just my driver. He says that the "initial" lesson is videoing swing then he would give you some tips to work on. I was excited to do this because of all the technology they use I figured it would take a lot of the guess work out.

The appointment was an hour long even though he told me we would probably go for 1.5 hours and it was $125.00 which is not a bad deal for that technology and that long of a lesson.

The first part of the lesson I hit balls and he took video. about ten minutes in he brought me over and showed me my swing on camera. All my swings to that point he had me hit an 8 iron. He pointed out a couple things I did wrong even though I instantly spotted the main problem he never mentioned it.

He then gave me a couple pointers and i hit literally TWO golf balls. He then took a video of a practice swing doing the pointers. He then brought me back over for a before and after analysis. The after swing he used was a practice swing. Newsflash my practice swing looks like Tiger in his prime versus my actual swing so lookout. He told me look how much better your swing is since the little time I have worked with you just imagine what we could do if we did a long term plan. I thought to myself oh boy here we go.

And away we went indeed. We worked together for a total of 21 minutes the next hour and nine minutes were him trying to sell me some kind of lesson package that was around 3k. I was furious and I let him know it. First off you to take a practice swing and compare it to an actual swing is beyond stupid I don't know what suckers this works on but I am not one of them. I told him I literally came in to get a tip for driver and not once did he mention it or even let me hit despite me bringing it up several times. I will never ever go back there again place is a scam. Lesson learned.

TLDR: Golftec swing analysis is a 20 minute swing video and over an hour of a sales pitch trying to sell you thousands of dollars worth of lessons while not fixing anything in your first "lesson".

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I think what leaves many with a sour taste about GolfTec is the business model. As a new student I want my first lesson to be focused on how I can improve and a plan to get there. The constant focus on upselling leaves a sour taste in some peoples' mouths.

They also immediately jump to selling packages and locking you in. Plus some of the better teachers want a year commitment... even before you've met them. I think that would be an easier sell if 90% of that first lesson was focused on pure instruction.

...and, as mentioned the 'Tec' side is now way behind the curve in some of the places... Gen 1 wired K-Vest, busted microphones... It doesn't necessarily feel that 'techie'...

I can’t say enough positive things about MY experience at golftec. The business model is what it is, their main revenue stream is selling lesson packages. If you don’t want to be sold to, golftec will put you off a bit. I saw this as a positive. The guy I worked with really got to know me, my game, and my goals and then he utilized that information to try and sell me a package. I chose a lower cost plan, and then he used everything he had learned about me to guide our next 10 lessons.

Where I feel bad for the guy I worked with is the perception that golftec lessons are either great or a scam and then they all get lumped together. Golftec is just the facilitator. Your experience and quality of lessons will come down to the individual instructor and how his or her teaching style and philosophies transfer to you as the student. Saying golftec lessons are a scam or golftec lessons are fantastic is not all that different than lumping all club pros together or all driving range pros together.

My recommendation would be to find an instructor within your budget that comes well recommended and meshes with your learning style. If that’s at a golftec, great. If that’s out of some guy’s garage, fine. If that’s with your club pro, cool.

Nobody ever comes on here after a bad lesson at their club and says lessons at private country clubs are a scam. I saw significantly more improvement in my golf game from my lesson package at golftec than I did from a similar package of lessons at my club at a similar price.

Just take threads like this with a huge grain of salt. YMMV.

I paid for a series at GolfTEC in Los Angeles when I was a 15 handicap. The first lesson they asked me my goal, I said I wanted to be a low single digit handicap. They said that is probably not possible and that most people who start later in life will never be a high single digit. They added, how about we set a realistic goal of a 12 handicap?

I stopped going and never paid.

Srixon Z 785 9.5 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z F85 15 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z U85 18 Steelfiber i110 S
Srixon Z FORGED 3-9 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 46 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 Forged 50 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland RTX4 58 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 11S

Bettinardi QB6 DASS High Polish
Srixon ZStar XV Yellow

Here's my (copy paste) take as someone who is currently in a Golftec package:

I bought a 6 month package. The best thing about it is the free practice time. I know all my gaps now, I can hit balls for 'free' whenever I want, and golftec is about 5 minutes from my house.

When I started I had just gotten into the game after a 10 year absence and was playing HORRIBLE golf. Big OTT move, swaying all over the place, no ball striking consistency, and no Idea what I was doing wrong. Avg score 120+ (no hcp).

3 months in, I'm shooting repeatably in the 90s (22.0 hcp) and am trying to get rid of my big slice miss (issues closing the clubface, still have limited "feel"). I still can't hit my driver.

My take is, if you suck at golf swing, GOLFTEC is going to point you in the right direction. If I was a 10 hcp and had some control of my swing already and wanted to make nuanced changes, I would find somewhere else. It's a great avenue to fix glaring swing issues and address the swing big picture, plus you get loads of practice time in a bay, and you can hit whatever club they have whenever you want - so there is some real benefit to be had there. I really like my coach, which I think as with anything else, it's the coach you end up with, not necessarily GOLFTEC that is going to make or break you experience.

When I'm done with my 6 month package I will see if there is a 'practice package' so I can still use the facilities, but I will likely seek instruction elsewhere (Does anyone recommend a trackman or GCQuad equipped coach in SD?), not at the fault of my coach but just to get some fresh eyes and some new thoughts... (probably Monte's).

Sorry, guys, have to give GolfTec props. Yes, they are expensive. Yes, they have variability in instructors, I'm sure. But I found a really good one, and he's made a big difference in my golfing life. I've tried a few other instructors in other places who did nothing for me. Ryan Skoglund (in the Boston area) did a great job of slowly changing my swing while also teaching me about the damn thing so I could better understand what to do when things go awry. And he can diagnose my problems quickly and explain them clearly. He uses technology, but he has not tried to make my swing look like any pro golfer--and given that I'm 66, an overweight hacker, that will never happen. I tend to do a bunch of lessons in the winter, get things squared away, and then only go back occasionally in the summer if all hell breaks loose with my swing. Unfortunately, he's just moved to another location, so I'll either need to be comfortable with another instructor or not go back to GolfTec. But, simply put, I play better and I'm happier on the golf course with Ryan's help.

Don’t think one lesson is enough to fix anything major?

Some have written that they took 6 lessons where backswing was the lesson, it’s totally possible that was his issue and he hadn’t fixed it the first 5 lessons?

It’s tough to learn golf and even tougher to teach it. Not an easy sport to learn by any means.

Been playing rugged LH golf for 40 years. Have learned to accommodate my swing flaws in order to score (I am a 8 index), but felt I could do better. A friend recommended Golftec based on a reference from a player he witnessed going from a 14 to a 4 - in 1 year. I was intrigued. I went through a swing evaluation and felt the "coach" was knowledgeable and a good personality fit for me. I signed up for a 10 lesson package (including unlimited practice time). It is not for the feint of wallet.

So far (3 lessons in) I have learned a lot about how I can improve and the practice time is really important to build the muscle memory to change. The videos are crucial to see/hear about your flaws. My coach is terrific, but frankly, I feel lucky to have him based on some of the other coaches I see at the facility. Not sure how far I can go in terms of improvement with Golftec, but make no mistake - I will be an improved player. I am getting better - no doubt.

We all have fantasies that the next new driver, irons, wedges, ______ (fill in the blank) will be "the difference" in our game, but all too often are we are swinging the next shiny thing with the same old swing. It's fun, but somehow a little hollow. I recall playing with a pro in Naples who was demoing the latest irons on the market. I asked "how do you like 'em?" He said "they are really nice....... but I can hit anything..." Right then, it really hit me -- it's the swing stupid! For me, Golftec has been great. YMMV.

Definitely, the golf clubs these days are virtually all the same size, shape etc. Very unifrom now, within reason. Obviously, i mean blades are blades, GI clubs are GI clubs, all the same in each category. As long as they are fit to the individual, new clubs aren't going to change your swing for you.

• 1 month later...

Went to GolfTEC in Baton Rouge, at first I thought it might work for me with the sensors and video technology but the instruction was actually pretty bad. I did a swing review and 2 lessons, the instructor was cool and seemed to have some knowledge of the golf swing but when I went back and reviewed the lessons I realized how lacking the instruction was. It seemed as if I had to diagnose what I was doing wrong myself and then ask him for a good way to fix it. I canceled the third lesson and asked for a refund for the remaining lessons and thankfully they had great customer service and returned my money. I wouldn’t suggest GolfTEC unless someone you know has had a good experience there and can vouch for the instructor. In my case I believe I would have been working on the same things by the time we got to the last lesson and probably would’ve been asked to purchase more lessons to finish.

Worked for GolfTEC back in the day starting out my career. Fantastic for me to learn how to run a business, also good because I got a lot of reps in teaching people. My frustration, they didn’t promote me learning more about teaching and refining my craft, they internally do that and basically want all to teach S&T (not my thing). Also, yes goal is not to get people better, it’s to keep people coming back for more. You must sell a certain number annually or you are not retained. Also I was well over that number in 10 months, and in track to make $31,000 in pay. Rest of compensation they report is in benefits, which as I was starting out I was naive too.

They also pride themselves on teaching 2000 lessons a year for each coach, it was impossible to know each persons game and be a true coach, which I always felt bad about.

Again there are great coaches, in the system, many are franchise owners as well, but as mentioned before many other who I would steer away from.

My experience at GOLFTEC has been nothing but positive. Went from shooting in the low to mid-80s to mid to high-70s. Hitting it way better, misses are way more consistent, game is more fun, etc. This has taken six months. Brad Hunter in Tualatin Oregon is the man.

You people that have one or two lessons and don’t see a huge improvement crack me up. It takes pros months to make small changes and you are pissed because an instructor can’t fix your crap swing in two weeks.

I don’t understand why people hate on the fact that they try to sell you lesson packages. That’s their business model and that’s how the instructors get paid. If you don’t like it go somewhere else.

Last thing is that there are some really good instructors there and there are also some crap instructors. Same exact story at any club or teaching facility.

I don't understand why people hate on the fact that they try to sell you lesson packages. That's their business model and that's how the instructors get paid. If you don't like it go somewhere else.

Last thing is that there are some really good instructors there and there are also some crap instructors. Same exact story at any club or teaching facility.

You don't understand why folks might be less than enthused to sign-up for a costly multi-lesson deal with a potentially 'crap instructor'?

And no, it's not the same story everywhere else. I don't know of a single instructor that doesn't offer a one-lesson deal.

I don't understand why people hate on the fact that they try to sell you lesson packages. That's their business model and that's how the instructors get paid. If you don't like it go somewhere else.

You don't understand why folks might be less than enthused to sign-up for a costly multi-lesson deal with a potentially 'crap instructor'?

And no, it's not the same story everywhere else. I don't know of a single instructor that doesn't offer a one-lesson deal.

You should be able to tell during the evaluation if the instructor is decent. Start small with just 3-5 lessons. If it doesn’t work out then bail and try someoelse.

Yes, most instructors offer one lesson at a time. I think it is incredibly foolish to think one lesson with anyone is going to tell you if it’s a good match but that’s another topic. However, this has nothing to do with what I said. My comment pertains to there being good/bad instructors at golftec and any club/teaching facility. This is a fact.

You should be able to tell during the evaluation of the instructor is decent. Start small with just 3-5 lessons. If it doesn’t work out then bail and try someoelse.

Yes, most instructors offer one lesson at a time. I think it is incredibly foolish to think one lesson with anyone is going to tell you if it’s a good match but that’s another topic. However, this has nothing to do with what I said. My comment pertains to there being good/bad instructors at golftec and any club/teaching facility. This is a fact.

Just curious, how often does golftec want you in lessons ?

Personally I think Golf Tec and Top Short Golf are killing the game. In an ideal world you could take swing lessons on a true golf hole , the feedback would be incredible.

I am having a great experience with my GolfTec instructor and in 3 lessons (plus the initial analysis) I am already hitting from inside and have much better club face awareness in my swing. I bought a 10 lesson (6-month time limit) package for $880. Lessons always go a bit over time. I always get a video and a game plan with specific skills to work on for the week. I love the web interface and the technical aspect of it all. I do go home and practice quite a bit hitting int a net using a mat in the garage. Is it all fundamental skills and stuff that is posted online from a variety of other teachers (a la YouTube) that they are teaching? Yup. Was I able to figure it out and apply it myself? Not a chance in hell. My game would have been much better had I started this process when I thought I could teach myself golf. But I am learning and getting better and I see value in their methods. It is not the cheapest - but I have to say that I am having a great experience - even though the first 2 weeks of retraining my grip and swing path was pure HELL. At least now I KNOW what I am supposed to FEEL like in a proper golf swing. Feel is definitely NOT REAL. Good luck! Stay positive.

I am having a great experience with my GolfTec instructor and in 3 lessons (plus the initial analysis) I am already hitting from inside and have much better club face awareness in my swing. I bought a 10 lesson (6-month time limit) package for $880. Lessons always go a bit over time. I always get a video and a game plan with specific skills to work on for the week. I love the web interface and the technical aspect of it all. I do go home and practice quite a bit hitting int a net using a mat in the garage. Is it all fundamental skills and stuff that is posted online from a variety of other teachers (a la YouTube) that they are teaching? Yup. Was I able to figure it out and apply it myself? Not a chance in hell. My game would have been much better had I started this process when I thought I could teach myself golf. But I am learning and getting better and I see value in their methods. It is not the cheapest - but I have to say that I am having a great experience - even though the first 2 weeks of retraining my grip and swing path was pure HELL. At least now I KNOW what I am supposed to FEEL like in a proper golf swing. Feel is definitely NOT REAL. Good luck! Stay positive.

That time limit on lessons is silly. You should buy lessons as you need them. Not feel rushed into using them. A lesson a month should fit most people.

Good Schedule:

Range Session, Play 9, get your lesson and see what needs improvement, do improvement exercises at home, play more rounds, go to the range. In a busy life that should take a month.

Repeat...

I'm pretty sure that they would not be such sticklers for the time limit at my GolfTec. It is so low key and relaxed there. The sales pitch was pretty mellow as well. He showed me the options and answered questions after an hour of hitting through the bag and video analysis. Completely opposite of the OP's experience.

I'm pretty sure that they would not be such sticklers for the time limit at my GolfTec. It is so low key and relaxed there. The sales pitch was pretty mellow as well. He showed me the options and answered questions after an hour of hitting through the bag and video analysis. Completely opposite of the OP's experience.

Free beer and pizza too?! Man that would be an awesome golf place.

So after the instructor I worked with for 3 years left the area, I decided to give GolfTec a shot. I bought a small package to start off with (5 lessons) and after some initial positive results went for a longer series. Things went downhill in a hurry from there... while I understand the general philosophy of rebuilding the swing one step at a time, it also means that if you get stuck at any point, you spend weeks beating on the same thing while the rest of your swing gets ignored. After several weeks of my instructor wanting to work on nothing but creating lag while I felt the rest of my swing deteriorating, I spoke up and said it wasn’t working and was basically told that this was the process and I just had to keep going with it. I should have taken that as a warning sign and just accepted the remaining lessons as a sunk cost, but kept going against my better judgement and thing just got worse. When I started at GolfTec, I was pretty regularly shooting in the low-80s and playing the best golf of my life. 6 months and a few grand later,

I literally could not hit a golf ball and honestly contemplated giving up the game. I’m glad I didn’t, but it’s been 6 months with a new instructor undoing the damage done to my swing. I’m sure there are some great instructors at GolfTec, but if you go, make sure you do your research and you’re getting one of the good ones.

• 3 years later...

I am 75 years old, played lot of golf and famous courses in my prime years. I told the instructor I need few adjustments to cope with my flexibility limitations. Asked me if I am looking for a short or long term fix. With my age short and long are the same.  Well, he compared my swing to that of a tour pro and told me I am off by that much or this much down to the decimal point accuracy and advised that it will take a while to fix and $5k commitments. I asked for simple tweaks not taking me back to my teenage years. He replied that their system is to help people based on the ideal golf swing regardless of age. I referred him to hundreds of famous instructors YouTube videos specifically to help senior golfers. No, they don’t do that. In summary, it may be helpful for athletic younger age golfers but certainly not the majority. So, absolute ripoff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately you were not happy with your experience.  It happens.  You admit you were seeking a quick tip specific to your driver, and that is not what was offered.  Also, you identified your problem and not the coach.  I can assure you that early extension will not be fixed with a quick tip.  

43 minutes ago, GungHoGolf said:

Good progress with that student. 

He stops the video and points out P8, saying its trail arm parallel with the ground. Should be club parallel, no?

Yep, P8 is “clubshaft” parallel to ground and P9 is “trail arm” parallel to the ground.

Edited by moehogan