2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Shaft Inquiry

jjmurry

Apologies for the multi-part question.

I have been playing with a 44.5" TS3 Evenflow T1100 X-Stiff 75g shaft for a few months now and am reaching a crossroads many GolfWRX's seem to reach fairly frequently... I do not love the feel of the shaft.

Currently, I do not feel the club loading the way I would like to and tend to have weak low-spin low pulls and even weaker high low-spin push shots that are not commensurate with my swing speed - ~105mph due to me feeling like the club is too heavy. Average carry has been around 250 yards. I was fit for this club a few months ago by a fitter but have made changes to my swing with the same coach who fit me. He is under the impression that despite the feel for the club not being what I would like, this club should help me with tempo and dispersion. My coach tends to give me the benefit of the doubt thinking I hit it further than I actually do... oh well.

However, on my previous driver - Epic SZ with a stock stiff flex shaft, I had a swing speed upwards of ~110mph.

My questions are as follows:

- If I am a shorter guy (5'7") would I benefit with an even shorter shaft? A la someone like Rickie Fowler per his GolfWRX interview a month or so ago.

- If I believe that the heavier shaft plus stronger flex is not the profile for me, would a 43.5" 65g x-flex shaft be closer to what I am looking for? If so, I realize I would have to screw around with swing weights to ensure that the swing weight isn't too low.

One final note - I would prefer to just get a new shaft and not have to buy both the head and the shaft, but am open to any suggestions.

Thank you all!

Titleist TSR3 10* - Tensei 1K White 60TX

Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Mitsubishi Kaili White 70X

TRS2 21* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 80X

Titleist T100 - Project X 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM 9 48*/53*/58* - Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Howdy.

So a few things..

1. Choke down on yours now to see if you would like before committing to it. It will lighten the head even more but make the shaft feel stiffer.

2. If you go down to to 43.5 will you bring the headweight back up or leave it as is? Going shorter will drop the headweight but stiffen the shaft up as well.

So a few question and thoughts

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Howdy.

So a few things..

1. Choke down on yours now to see if you would like before committing to it. It will lighten the head even more but make the shaft feel stiffer.

2. If you go down to to 43.5 will you bring the headweight back up or leave it as is? Going shorter will drop the headweight but stiffen the shaft up as well.

Howdy.

So a few things..

Hi there! To respond:

1. Yes - I have choked down on the club (have actually tested it a few times very recently) and noticed my strike pattern tighten towards the middle of the club face. This is why I wonder if a 43.5" driverMAY be something to look into.

2. Yes - I would have to bring the headweight back up, that could be done by my local shop. So if I think that the x-stiff that I currently have feels too stiff, do you think that if I cut down the shaft to 43.5", I should go down to a stiff flex?

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

Sounds like a little too much weight and a little to much strength in terms of both flex and overall profile. There is a significant difference between the Evenflow T1100 6.5 and the fujikura pro 60 S shaft, the torque difference alone will give the T1100 a much boardier feel.

The simplest and cheapest option is to look out for something lighter and smoother on eBay. There are plenty of 60 gram Diamana Blue Ltd and a few Evenflow blue shafts listed, there are also one or two fujikura pro 60 S shafts.

You could also try dropping the weight cylinder from your current setup to see if you prefer a lighter swing weight, obviously this won’t make the shaft any softer.

Sounds like a little too much weight and a little to much strength in terms of both flex and overall profile. There is a significant difference between the Evenflow T1100 6.5 and the fujikura pro 60 S shaft, the torque difference alone will give the T1100 a much boardier feel.

The simplest and cheapest option is to look out for something lighter and smoother on eBay. There are plenty of 60 gram Diamana Blue Ltd and a few Evenflow blue shafts listed, there are also one or two fujikura pro 60 S shafts.

You could also try dropping the weight cylinder from your current setup to see if you prefer a lighter swing weight, obviously this won't make the shaft any softer.

Thank you for the advice! To clarify (forgive me I am new to the shaft tinkering realm), you think that a standard ~45" shaft should be fine for me, assuming it's lighter and has less of a stiff profile? Meaning, that the Diamana Blue LTD, Evenflow Blue and Fujikura Pro 60 shafts should all be stiff and not x-stiff in 60 grams?

Additionally, I will try dropping some (how much?) of the weight from the weight cylinder and see if that may assist with the lack of "feel" I am noticing.

Much appreciated!

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

Thank you for the advice! To clarify (forgive me I am new to the shaft tinkering realm), you think that a standard ~45" shaft should be fine for me, assuming it's lighter and has less of a stiff profile? Meaning, that the Diamana Blue LTD, Evenflow Blue and Fujikura Pro 60 shafts should all be stiff and not x-stiff in 60 grams?

Additionally, I will try dropping some (how much?) of the weight from the weight cylinder and see if that may assist with the lack of "feel" I am noticing.

Much appreciated!

I don’t see a problem trying another shaft at 45 inches, it is a simple fix if it requires shortened. Since you were happier with the softer feeling shaft, 60 gram S flex would seem like a good place to start, plus S flex is easier to find. Speed is only one fitting attribute, the manner in which the speed is generated is more important.

Regarding the swing weight test, it is just a case of taking the weight chip out as an experiment, you can test strike consistency with some foot power spray. Some people are insensitive to swing weight so taking the weight chip out is an easy way of shedding ~8 - 10 grams. There is equally a chance that you need more head weight to help offset the stout feel of the T1100.

Since your fitter is your coach why not ask him to let you loose with a weight pack and shafts from the fitting cart, you can find a combination you prefer on your own.

Much appreciated!

I don’t see a problem trying another shaft at 45 inches, it is a simple fix if it requires shortened. Since you were happier with the softer feeling shaft, 60 gram S flex would seem like a good place to start, plus S flex is easier to find. Speed is only one fitting attribute, the manner in which the speed is generated is more important.

Regarding the swing weight test, it is just a case of taking the weight chip out as an experiment, you can test strike consistency with some foot power spray. Some people are insensitive to swing weight so taking the weight chip out is an easy way of shedding ~8 - 10 grams. There is equally a chance that you need more head weight to help offset the stout feel of the T1100.

Since your fitter is your coach why not ask him to let you loose with a weight pack and shafts from the fitting cart, you can find a combination you prefer on your own.

Awesome! I will likely be giving the Diamana a try as it seems to be the easiest to find in a Titleist setting.

I'll also play around with the weights, I do seem to like the lighter clubhead feel.

I plan on using a superspeed golf training regimen as well so would a slight increase in clubhead speed make this testing moot assuming no significant swing changes?

Thank you again for your help. To eBay I go!

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

Much appreciated!

Also, would it be worthwhile to try an x-flex in the Diamana LTD Blue 60 g? It seems to be a little higher launching and higher spinning than what I am used to. I am currently looking to get two shafts to try alongside my T1100. I am set on getting the Diamana LTD Blue 60 g in stiff, but am trying to think of another one to try.

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

If you're looking for a shaft with more feel, consider the Rogue Black. When I was playing a 915 D3 I had a rogue black and really enjoyed the shaft... I could definitely feel the shaft loading and unloading, but I still felt like I had plenty of control with it. As for the weight issues, you're really just going to have to experiment and see what works. There's a nice post about self fitting for a driver:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/909991-diy-driver-tune-up-diy-fitting/

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

If you're looking for a shaft with more feel, consider the Rogue Black. When I was playing a 915 D3 I had a rogue black and really enjoyed the shaft... I could definitely feel the shaft loading and unloading, but I still felt like I had plenty of control with it. As for the weight issues, you're really just going to have to experiment and see what works. There's a nice post about self fitting for a driver:

http://www.golfwrx.c...up-diy-fitting/

Hi fellow NoVA WRXer. I have been looking at the Aldila NV 2KXV Green, but find that the Rogue Black is also within the profile I am looking for. I've read over that post you linked to and realize that based upon my overwhleming miss (hit pattern being on the heel exclusively) that the shaft is indeed too long. I think I am going to bite the bullet and buy a shaft at the 43.5" 60 gram stiff flex mark and will play around with weighting. Thanks for the feedback!

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

Howdy.

So a few things..

Howdy.

So a few things..

Hi there! To respond:

1. Yes - I have choked down on the club (have actually tested it a few times very recently) and noticed my strike pattern tighten towards the middle of the club face. This is why I wonder if a 43.5" driverMAY be something to look into.

2. Yes - I would have to bring the headweight back up, that could be done by my local shop. So if I think that the x-stiff that I currently have feels too stiff, do you think that if I cut down the shaft to 43.5", I should go down to a stiff flex?

Sorry for the late response.

Sounds like you have a lot off good advice so far.

43.5 is extreme but I have seen very good results for guys with faster swing speeds. IN the epic SZ I would put 2-12 gram weights and 10.5 (set to 12.5) with an 85x in the head. Good results but mileage may vary for some

Due to the amount of weight in the head once you build it back up it will soften the flex some. Remember fwy shafts are tipped an 1 by most OEMS. You more or less putting a 3 wood shaft into a driver head.

I would start with 44 to 44.5.. that is not severe but different than you are playing now. If you still want go shorter.. simple cut and you are there.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

**I am by no means a professional fitter** but purely from personal experience I have found that trimming a shaft purely from the butt will make it play softer to flex as you are removing the stiffest part of the shaft (assuming you maintain the original swing weight by adding head weight...) as 'misplacedtexan83' above says by 43.5" you are almost putting a 3 wood shaft in a driver. With you dropping back down a flex to a stiff as well, I would be tempted to trim to the manufacturers 3 wood specs or consider using an x flex but not tip trimming at all. This way you are essentially either 'hard-stepping' a S or 'soft-stepping' a X shaft to create an in-between flex which it sounds like you want? If you want to play at 43.5", also consider that 3 wood shafts are generally heavier than driver shafts and it seems your coach prefers a heavier shaft for you to improve tempo so I'd probably stick with a 70-75g shaft.

Personally if I were you I'd pick your favorite old shaft model/profile (I assume it would be a S flex?) find a ~70g version and then tip it ~0.5" (3-wood spec probably but check manufacturer recommendations as they differ) but play it at maybe 44" with some weight added to the head to maintain the original swingweight and see what happens. This would essentially be a 'hard-stepped' stiff flex or close to it.

Please don't take this as gospel but just thought you may want to consider it.

p.s. If you're thinking about a Diamana Blue, maybe a consider a Kai'li 70S? Can be picked up cheap, feel real smooth and generally a great shaft. I've got a 70X in my 3 wood and love it, changed from a lower launch XCaliber shaft to gain abit of control.

Here's a random thought... I'm pretty sure that the sure fit adapters on the 910 fairway woods are the same size as the ones that Titleist is using on all of their drivers. Assuming that's the case, you could look for a 910 fairway wood shaft to try out in your TS driver and see if you like the shorter shaft without having to go to the trouble of buying and cutting down a shaft. I'm not sure how the length of the driver will work out in that case, so maybe it'll be too short, but the Diamana Kai'li (a version of the blueboard) was stock on the 910 fairways.

p.s. How have you been playing that driver for a few months? As far as I can tell, all it does in the DC area is rain.

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

Here's a random thought... I'm pretty sure that the sure fit adapters on the 910 fairway woods are the same size as the ones that Titleist is using on all of their drivers. Assuming that's the case, you could look for a 910 fairway wood shaft to try out in your TS driver and see if you like the shorter shaft without having to go to the trouble of buying and cutting down a shaft. I'm not sure how the length of the driver will work out in that case, so maybe it'll be too short, but the Diamana Kai'li (a version of the blueboard) was stock on the 910 fairways.

p.s. How have you been playing that driver for a few months? As far as I can tell, all it does in the DC area is rain.

Excellent stuff! I actually was able to buy two Diamana Blues with the following specs:

- 43.5" Fairway wood stiff flex 70g

- 45" Driver stiff flex 60g

They arrive today or tomorrow and will get some swings in this weekend (barring impending snow dusting/flurry).

However, I tried a suggestion from a previous poster - to use my current 75g X-stiff Evenflow T1100, but drop the surefit weight from the head and let me tell you... it was night and day difference. I could really feel like I could fire away at it. Dispersion shrunk, distance jumped in my estimate at least 15 yards.

Is this something that is sustainable? Can I use my driver without the sure fit weight without any long term ill effect? I believe it's something along the lines of a 16 gram weight. My thinking is if I use a similar shaft with a 60 gram weight instead of the 75 gram weight I currently have, and left the head weight in, I should be able to have comparable results?

"As far as I can tell, all it does in the DC area is rain" - couldn't agree more. Most rain this year on record since something like the 1890s and half the courses are unplayable at this point! Fingers crossed for some warm weather over the coming weeks before the standard low 20's weather comes in.

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

Howdy.

So a few things..

Howdy.

So a few things..

Hi there! To respond:

Sorry for the late response.

Sounds like you have a lot off good advice so far.

43.5 is extreme but I have seen very good results for guys with faster swing speeds. IN the epic SZ I would put 2-12 gram weights and 10.5 (set to 12.5) with an 85x in the head. Good results but mileage may vary for some

Due to the amount of weight in the head once you build it back up it will soften the flex some. Remember fwy shafts are tipped an 1 by most OEMS. You more or less putting a 3 wood shaft into a driver head.

I would start with 44 to 44.5.. that is not severe but different than you are playing now. If you still want go shorter.. simple cut and you are there.

As stated earlier, I am going to try a few different combos but have found that I enjoy the feel of my current driver 75g x-stiff T1100 with dropping the surefit added head weight. Surely, my swing weight is below D0 (I intend to have this measured), but I simply found the lighter feel easier to let loose on. I anticipate there will be a plateau I reach with a low swing weight but have yet to see anywhere in my research that having a < D-level swing weight on a club is a real problem.

We shall see! The search continues though.

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

Is this something that is sustainable? Can I use my driver without the sure fit weight without any long term ill effect? I believe it's something along the lines of a 16 gram weight. My thinking is if I use a similar shaft with a 60 gram weight instead of the 75 gram weight I currently have, and left the head weight in, I should be able to have comparable results?

If lower swingweight works for you then go for it, personally I think it's all about feel especially when it comes to shafts rather than specific profiles and flexes etc. sometimes what looks great on paper just doesn't feel right and vice versa. I personally prefer a higher swingweight as I struggle with a quick transition and flick when I can't feel the head as I can't tell where it is.

My only thought with your suggestion above is that although the static weight would be similar using a lighter shaft and heavier head the swingweight (balance) would be back to a 'head heavy' feel which may effect your swing/tempo. Also the lighterweight shaft might play slightly weaker to flex than the heavier model, though this isn't true for all models and I haven't had any experience with the Evenflow line....but then again might be worth a try...

Can you buy lighter surefit weights? Replace the 16g with as lighter one as possible?

If lower swingweight works for you then go for it, personally I think it's all about feel especially when it comes to shafts rather than specific profiles and flexes etc. sometimes what looks great on paper just doesn't feel right and vice versa. I personally prefer a higher swingweight as I struggle with a quick transition and flick when I can't feel the head as I can't tell where it is.

My only thought with your suggestion above is that although the static weight would be similar using a lighter shaft and heavier head the swingweight (balance) would be back to a 'head heavy' feel which may effect your swing/tempo. Also the lighterweight shaft might play slightly weaker to flex than the heavier model, though this isn't true for all models and I haven't had any experience with the Evenflow line....but then again might be worth a try...

Can you buy lighter surefit weights? Replace the 16g with as lighter one as possible?

I'm going to get the swing weight measured to ensure that I'm not going crazy over the coming days and then will potentially buy the lightest TS sureweight out there. Just want to make sure that there will be no ill-effects of not having any weight in that cylinder on the club.

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X