Converting practice swing to real swing

Hackinator

How many of you out there have a practice swing that has the same tempo as their real swing?

I was trying to get that same tempo and tension-free feel into my real swing.

Is this a worthwhile venture?

I mean I want my practice swing to be IDENTICAL to my real swing if I can pull it off.

I was trying this recently.. and I have to fool my mind to believe there is no ball sitting to try to get a real swing to feel like a practice swing.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don’t want that. All practice swings stink. No speed, club face not matching path, bad path, likely a topped shot, etc. in short, practice swing wouldn’t produce a good shot.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

You don’t want that. All practice swings stink. No speed, club face not matching path, bad path, likely a topped shot, etc. in short, practice swing wouldn’t produce a good shot.

You weren't kidding when you said you were the anarchist in Brendon's videos.

How many of you out there have a practice swing that has the same tempo as their real swing?

I mean I want my practice swing to be IDENTICAL to my real swing if I can pull it off.

I was trying this recently.. and I have to fool my mind to believe there is no ball sitting to try to get a real swing to feel like a practice swing.

Any thoughts?

I use my practice swing as an opportunity to remind myself of a specific feel that I want, often an exaggerated motion, often at a pretty slow speed. This is the last time I'll think of anything approaching mechanical. When I get to the ball, I just want to think about hitting the shot. Two different motions, two different purposes.

practice swings are good for exaggerating feels and relieving a little tension in your pre-shot routine and nothing more. They certainly have a purpose but it's limited.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

I understand that in a real swing you need to square the clubface and make sure your swing path is sound, so getting that flowing, uninterrupted swing in your real swing is not that easy because you still need to make good contact with the ball.

However, it seems like this is something you should still strive for. To make your real swing feel like a practice swing.

I understand that in a real swing you need to square the clubface and make sure your swing path is sound, so getting that flowing, uninterrupted swing in your real swing is not that easy because you still need to make good contact with the ball.

However, it seems like this is something you should still strive for. To make your real swing feel like a practice swing.

I promise you, it’s not.

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

The reason practice swings feel so great and uninhibited is because there is no objective and there is no penalty for a mishit because there is no ball to hit.

During some of my worst rounds my practice swings felt great and trying to emulate them only made me worse.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

Strive for a functional, repeatable full swing that doesn't require taking any practice swings.

For years I’ve begged my golf buddies to stop there annual winter routine of practice swings. They tell me how they have it all figured out, how great their swing feels blah blah blah. I ask one question “You hitting a ball into a net or hell even a crumpled up piece of paper to resemble a ball?” The answer is nope but man it feels great I got this. I can feel Monte getting lathered up for a good rant from from 1500 miles away. For the sake of your game stop this idea now. Practice swing and actually swing are different, they will never feel the same. Or maybe I’m wrong and you will be the first person in history to pull this off.

To me I see many people making perfect tempo full turn practice swings. If they could just lower into their real swing, they would hit the shot they wanted. I strived for years to swing my free feeling on path practice swings other than my tension filled quick from the top real swings. And in lastcouple of years my confidence and understanding of my swing plane has helped me to come very close to that match.

To me I see many people making perfect tempo full turn practice swings. If they could just lower into their real swing, they would hit the shot they wanted. I strived for years to swing my free feeling on path practice swings other than my tension filled quick from the top real swings. And in lastcouple of years my confidence and understanding of my swing plane has helped me to come very close to that match.

The change in tempo occurs when your subconscious starts compensating for swing faults. Trying to match your practice swing's tempo would likely result in tons of foul balls. If you want your real swing to match the tempo of a practice swing you need to fix the flaws such that compensations aren't needed

The change in tempo occurs when your subconscious starts compensating for swing faults. Trying to match your practice swing's tempo would likely result in tons of foul balls. If you want your real swing to match the tempo of a practice swing you need to fix the flaws such that compensations aren't needed

Bingo. I see it every day. Not one person has ever been happy with their club face where impact would have been.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Practise swing is probably misleading.

As part of a pre shot routine , you might swing the club to feel a position, or swing the club to feel a speed.

One thing is for sure, that half arsed wiggle that is some guys practise swing, or the mid air swing or the swing aNd step smash isn't intended to be entirely deployed at the ball

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

Strive for a functional, repeatable full swing that doesn't require taking any practice swings.

This. I gave up practice swings 20 years ago and my game (and the time it took) improved almost overnight.

After a little research, listening and watching how the greats like Ben Hogan believed in taking meaningful, diligent practice swings. To say no one person has even been happy with their clubface where impact would have been is just wrong, especially with the driver. I understand some people take a practice swing to exaggerate feels and some may just as a accented waggle. The some that can not match the two swings because their subconscious takes over their tempo and sequencing with a ball in front of them, maybe could use learning to match their practice swing with their real swing as a gauge for eliminating their swing faults. I do not always agree with Martin Hall, but when watching School of Golf: The Perfect Practice Swing I could not help but notice how Sara brown's practice swings are identical to her ball contact swings.

After a little research, listening and watching how the greats like Ben Hogan believed in taking meaningful, diligent practice swings. To say no one person has even been happy with their clubface where impact would have been is just wrong, especially with the driver. I understand some people take a practice swing to exaggerate feels and some may just as a accented waggle. The some that can not match the two swings because their subconscious takes over their tempo and sequencing with a ball in front of them, maybe could use learning to match their practice swing with their real swing as a gauge for eliminating their swing faults. I do not always agree with Martin Hall, but when watching School of Golf: The Perfect Practice Swing I could not help but notice how Sara brown's practice swings are identical to her ball contact swings.

So what you’re saying is, I’m a liar?

Every single person who has come to my lesson tee with the perfect practice swing myth has agreed their clubface was well out of position where impact would have been.

You know folks, I have no problem with people disagreeing with my analysis of a swing and having an honest debate. I have no problem with other instructors disagreeing with my take on swing philosophy, that promotes learning on both sides.

What I am tired of is mid handicappers who have never given a lesson calling me out on what does or does not happen on my lesson tee.

I don’t try to get into too many phallus measuring contests here, but an honest question. How many practice swings have you taken high shutter speed videos of and studied impact with the person in question? I’m somewhere around 500...and it’s 493 for 493 deciding their practice swing wasn’t as good as they thought.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

No you called me one Sorry answered a little to quickly. I said you were wrong. You did however via the back door call me a liar. And now you are making all sorts of assumptions about me. I did not call you out. But if you make degrading statements like that what do you expect. Note your statement did not say out of 493 people, it sounded much more like all the people on this earth kind of statement.

Close your eyes and hit the ball.

You’ll hit it.

And you won’t have a hit impulse, which means you won’t suck.

Don’t believe that it’s a thing?

Slicefixer was a big deal in the late 2000’s. He taught me drills to beat the hit impulse.

George Gankas? Yeah, same thing.

Do all the mechanics you want. If you are ball bound, you’re going to SUCK.

These pros will prey on that unless they’re coaching it out of you,

Both of those coaches did, and that’s why they are awesome.

The rest are leeches that want your money.

Your practice swing isn’t hindered by the problem of expectation.

The minute expectation gets in the way of a golf swing, you mentally take over and try to HIT. That’s the problem.

These coaches will say that you need to flex wrists, externally rotate, etc.

That keeps them relevant so they make money off of you.

They need to make money.

They need to reel you in, with multiple visits, so they can eat.

Let go. Swing the club. Kill the hit impulse.

“Abandoning control is the key to gaining control”.

That’s why kids pick the game up so quickly.

Any thoughts?

I use my practice swing as an opportunity to remind myself of a specific feel that I want, often an exaggerated motion, often at a pretty slow speed. This is the last time I'll think of anything approaching mechanical. When I get to the ball, I just want to think about hitting the shot. Two different motions, two different purposes.

Pretty much my exact thoughts. I'll add, once my practice swing is done, I'm ALL about target.

Every single person who has come to my lesson tee with the perfect practice swing myth has agreed their clubface was well out of position where impact would have been.

You know folks, I have no problem with people disagreeing with my analysis of a swing and having an honest debate. I have no problem with other instructors disagreeing with my take on swing philosophy, that promotes learning on both sides.

What I am tired of is mid handicappers who have never given a lesson calling me out on what does or does not happen on my lesson tee.

I don’t try to get into too many phallus measuring contests here, but an honest question. How many practice swings have you taken high shutter speed videos of and studied impact with the person in question? I’m somewhere around 500...and it’s 493 for 493 deciding their practice swing wasn’t as good as they thought.

Many instructors teach that the practice swing should try to be repeated.

I spray painted a white line in the grass and worked on hitting in front of the line while picturing the face square up with the line making sure to take a shallow divot. Low point and face control drill with the practice swing.

I would do this drill using my practice swing, then walk over to a different section of grass with a ball there and just swing. Sometimes I'd have so much forward shaft lean it would shift the path to the right, but it is an extremely helpful venture.

I got the idea from Adam Young. I think Fred Shoemaker devotes half of his book to the benefits of repeating the practice swing.

Shoemaker goes into why the swing looks so much better when there's no ball there or when the intent is to throw the club rather than hit a ball. Ridiculously good information to have.

I spray painted a white line in the grass and worked on hitting in front of the line while picturing the face square up with the line making sure to take a shallow divot. Low point and face control drill with the practice swing.

I would do this drill using my practice swing, then walk over to a different section of grass with a ball there and just swing. Sometimes I'd have so much forward shaft lean it would shift the path to the right, but it is an extremely helpful venture.

I got the idea from Adam Young. I think Fred Shoemaker devotes half of his book to the benefits of repeating the practice swing.

Shoemaker goes into why the swing looks so much better when there's no ball there or when the intent is to throw the club rather than hit a ball. Ridiculously good information to have.

You and jur80 are saying something completely different than what I’m saying. Make the practice swing good or do a drill to make it better, then try and emulate that....that may be helpful to many.

The discussion is about the people who say, “My practice swing is so pure, why does my swing stink?”

In every one of those types of cases, their practice swing was not good. It’s easy to be smooth and rhythmical when you don’t have to hit the ball solid and straight.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

In hindsight, what I should have named this topic was "How to get rid of the hit impulse."

When I take a practice swing, I can get a forward divot pretty much every time, I am scuffing abut 6 inches of ground forward of where I had my clubhead was at address. So I can visually see this. This doesn't happen with a real swing. My divots are always further back and sometimes as much 3 or 4 inches behind the ball.

However, like Monte says, I really have no idea what my clubface is doing on the practice swing. I have never video taped my practice swing w/o a ball. So the clubface could be wide open for all I know and my path could have deviated tremendously from my real path.

So I might just have go video tape myself w/o a ball and see WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING to get those decent divots with my practice swings.

Well, I hope I didnt open up a can of worms with this one.

So what youre saying is, Im a liar?

I dont try to get into too many phallus measuring contests here, but an honest question. How many practice swings have you taken high shutter speed videos of and studied impact with the person in question? Im somewhere around 500...and its 493 for 493 deciding their practice swing wasnt as good as they thought.

You and jur80 are saying something completely different than what Im saying. Make the practice swing good or do a drill to make it better, then try and emulate that....that may be helpful to many.

The discussion is about the people who say, My practice swing is so pure, why does my swing stink?

In every one of those types of cases, their practice swing was not good. Its easy to be smooth and rhythmical when you dont have to hit the ball solid and straight.

In the discussion I joined into the OP said that he wanted his practice swing to be IDENTICAL to his real swing. He did not state that his swing stunk. Perhaps you misread.

So if Mike's point is make sure you are squaring the clubface even in a practice swing I can go along with this notion.

The problem is I dont really have a convenient way to measure this unless I find an instructor with the equipment.