Need advice on a challenging pairing tomorrow

You got time. Sneak over to his place and sleep with his wife. Get some photos. When he starts the trash talk whip out you phone and show him. That'll throw him off.

I like it. He goes low, you go way, way lower. Nice. LOL

As terrible as sounds, it can be very effective. In my experience trash talkers like this unravel immediately once you put the heat right back on them. They typically get real quite/short/dejected if you lay it on after they hit a bad shot. The key is to let them go on the offensive first, let them talk the trash for the first few holes, let a bad shot pass, then on mid way through the front 9 drop a bomb.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You got time. Sneak over to his place and sleep with his wife. Get some photos. When he starts the trash talk whip out you phone and show him. That'll throw him off.

As terrible as sounds, it can be very effective. In my experience trash talkers like this unravel immediately once you put the heat right back on them. They typically get real quite/short/dejected if you lay it on after they hit a bad shot. The key is to let them go on the offensive first, let them talk the trash for the first few holes, let a bad shot pass, then on mid way through the front 9 drop a bomb.

An equally effective way of getting to a trash talker is to treat him with the absolute maximum of considerate good manners. Congratulate him on good shots, do it to the extreme. Commiserate with him after a poor shot, even more after a bad break. Pump him up, tell him he's playing great today, tell him you hope he can keep it going, be his biggest cheerleader. Lots of these guys thrive on conflict, and just don't know how to deal with real good sportsmanship.

An equally effective way of getting to a trash talker is to treat him with the absolute maximum of considerate good manners. Congratulate him on good shots, do it to the extreme. Commiserate with him after a poor shot, even more after a bad break. Pump him up, tell him he's playing great today, tell him you hope he can keep it going, be his biggest cheerleader. Lots of these guys thrive on conflict, and just don't know how to deal with real good sportsmanship.

That is an option, kill em with kindness does work in certain situations. Most (IMO) are simply bullies. All bullies typically suffer from some sort of insecurity, so if you can exploit that, you can get them to unravel

There is also the middle ground passive aggressive approach

"Oh..looks like I just got inside you there"

"Sorry man, looks like you are still out"

"Oh man, that would have been a great shot if you didn't catch it a tad heavy"

Or after you pipe one down the middle or hit an otherwise great shot

"man..just missed that one"

Insist on driving and then scare the crap out of him. Do something like step out of the cart when you start down a big hill.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Got here way too late to offer any advice but anxious to read the OP's recap.

I'd say, in general. lots of stuff sounds good if you can pull it off, the problem is the more we try and do or say stuff that is out of character (for most of us) the more lame it seems.

Should be a good test for you of whether, having experienced it before, you've found a way within yourself to handle it and if so, look out - big thing to get past and opens the door for getting past other nonsense in the future.

I think the only reasonable answer is be yourself. Doing anything else will probably flood your body with cortisol and an assortment of other neurotransmitters that aren’t helpful for your golf game. You’ve got to do whatever you need to do so that when you’re standing over your ball, you’re just doing your preshot routine and thinking target.

That or take a literal dump on his golf ball. Just go primal on him. The second he opens his mouth for the first time, just scream as loud as you can. Jump out of the golf cart and try to push it over. Grab a couple of his golf balls and stick them down your pants. Take off all your clothes and jump in a pond. Take a golf pencil, stick it in your mouth, chew it into pieces, and spit it in his face. And if at any point you start bleeding from anywhere, rub it on your face. That part is crucial.

Hope this helps.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

I would give it right back to him. Just over compliment him and tell him all day that he's the greatest golfer to ever play the game. Be super sarcastic with him and even if he says something that gets do you don't let him see that it bothers you because he will feed off it. tell him great shot on every shot but the good ones. When he hits a bunker tell him how shocked you are that it actually landed in the bunker. If you can walk from your second shot to the green with your putter so he has to drive the cart up to the green all day. That way you try to avoid him a little bit too.

What kind of "trash talk"?

Just annoying stuff.

"Damn I thought you were good."

"You Southern boys probably should leave golf to men"

"That would have been a great shot if you weren't so bad"

Puerile stuff, honestly lol

This kind of sounds like me. At the risk of getting flamed by the board, here is the confessions of a guy who jokes around during rounds....

I joke around allot during some rounds and allot is dry and sarcastic (just the way my sense of humour is). I THINK I have good judgment on when and who I can joke around with like this. But of course at times I cross the line.

Before someone asks, yes I will joke around during competitive rounds with the correct paring. I have played in some very competitive matches and events with 'relaxed' pairings where we shot lights out. There are some un-written rules about when to joke and when not during events. (ie between holes is okay, but not before a shot)

So I can put myself in the place of the guy you are playing against. We know each other already, and maybe we share a laugh at work. My intention is not to get in your head, but rather keep the round relaxed. As I mean no harm if you give me a signal that you don't enjoy my witty banter I will stop right away. Even better if you just said something to me nicely before we started I am going to 100% respect your request for me not to joke around at all or even talk if that is what you need. Likewise if you lean in and start joking around yourself you are going to encourage me to be even more talkative.

Something I keep in mind is one guys 'mean-nothing' event is another guys serous competition. I play 140 rounds a year and around 50 are competitive, but my be only 10 do I really care about.

Hey fam,

I'm in a tournament tomorrow, and my pairing all day he's going to be with a guy who loves to trash talk. In our tradition where I'm from, there's just not a lot of that, and the last time we played together it was unexpected and it, while within the rules, was just annoying as hell and was unexpected so I got into my head.

Well, here we go again and tomorrow is a somewhat big day, and my pairing is again with this guy who is going to be jawing the entire time. Do any of you out there have any advice on how to mentally prepare before around for this type of eventuality? I'm pretty levelheaded and don't get hot, but it was so unexpected last time that it threw me off.

Looking for any advice on how to deal with a more vocal adversary.

Report him to your committee.

Or even better, loosen his strap on the back of cart, then drive by a lake and flip his clubs into it.

Whenever he does something bad, relate it back to how he can’t please his wife. When you do something good, relate it to how you please his wife.

If he’s playing well, complement him on his swing. Tell him:

He’s getting more distance since taking it away flat. His hands are turning over nicely through the impact zone. His getting more distance since letting his club go way past parallel. His hips are really creating a lot of torque when he releases them early.... etc. anything that throws his timing out.

You got this!

Punch him in the mouth. KAPOW!

It worked on me..im the nicest guy ever now.

Throat. Always the throat. Lol.

Late to the party. But the most effective method is this.

Ignore him. Don’t acknowledge any comment. Good or bad. If he’s driving. Walk. If he’s walking. Walk opposite side. Have conversations with yourself as your caddie. Like he’s not there. You can talk yourself into the tunnel , once you’re there and drop s couple approaches close , start the club twirls ..... key after that is making the putt. 2 good putts and ignoring him and he’ll blow a gasket. Once you’re 4 up or so smile.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I live in Franklin, so I’m guessing this guy is from another part of the country, as we typically have gentlemen golfers in Middle Tennessee.

I guess the guys I played with in Mt Juliet were different. Those comment above would just be laughed at with how nice you are being to someone.

We would say things right before someone tees of like "hey Matt, I was just thinking you don't have any real friends. I mean if you got murdered I think we would all be likely suspects...Oh I press, don't miss the fairway."

That being said we only did this to each other and we were all friends, we never would do this to a random guy. To random people we are all super respectful and we realize this is kind of our thing.

To random people we'll berate ourselves but never them. Example if I'm out playing with a random and I hit a shot fat I'm very likely to say "Fu$%ing Rosanne Barr" (ie fat and ugly). Then I'll look at the other guy and say "sorry I am on ambien."

It makes a lot of sense to organize something for the guys who don't Monday into the web.com events.

The whole thing is a hustle. I wish, for the players like Matt Hanson, that the PGA and Web would get involved and bring some real organization to some of the regional tours.

Just annoying stuff.

“Damn I thought you were good.”

“You Southern boys probably should leave golf to men”

“That would have been a great shot if you weren’t so bad”

I’d basically laugh and say Inalways liked those jokes in middle school. Brings back memories

Oh, and I’d bring an extra wedge and slip it in his bag so he has too many clubs

It makes a lot of sense to organize something for the guys who don't Monday into the web.com events.

The whole thing is a hustle. I wish, for the players like Matt Hanson, that the PGA and Web would get involved and bring some real organization to some of the regional tours.

Just annoying stuff.

"Damn I thought you were good."

"You Southern boys probably should leave golf to men"

"That would have been a great shot if you weren't so bad"

I'd basically laugh and say Inalways liked those jokes in middle school. Brings back memories

Oh, and I'd bring an extra wedge and slip it in his bag so he has too many clubs

LOVE the "extra club." LOL

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

A small guy leaves himself wide open to insults, dish it. " I think I saw that shirt in the children's section at WalMart, they have your size!". Of course you can go even lower. But like one poster said, have fun. Exercise your inner Don Rickles.

You sound like the tall morons who occasionally try to insult me in an attempt to make themselves feel better after being thoroughly out driven and whipped by someone who’s 5’6. Don’t be the guy who tries to make fun of the short guy. That probably means you’re the fat guy with very little education.

Trash talking is for competitors of near equal skill level. Don’t even try talking trash with someone who is better than you because you’ll always look like an idiot.

Since we haven't heard from the OP on what really happened, it's time for us to create a story...here goes...

"I was striping the ball on the range and when we got to the first tee, I pulled driver and proceeded to ______________________________________"

Wrap it around his neck!"

After the police investigation cleared me with probably cause and we continued the round, I proceeded to____________________________________________________"

A small guy leaves himself wide open to insults, dish it. " I think I saw that shirt in the children's section at WalMart, they have your size!". Of course you can go even lower. But like one poster said, have fun. Exercise your inner Don Rickles.

You sound like the tall morons who occasionally try to insult me in an attempt to make themselves feel better after being thoroughly out driven and whipped by someone who's 5'6. Don't be the guy who tries to make fun of the short guy. That probably means you're the fat guy with very little education.

Trash talking is for competitors of near equal skill level. Don't even try talking trash with someone who is better than you because you'll always look like an idiot.

that-escalated-quickly-300x300.jpg

You sound like the tall morons who occasionally try to insult me in an attempt to make themselves feel better after being thoroughly out driven and whipped by someone who's 5'6. Don't be the guy who tries to make fun of the short guy. That probably means you're the fat guy with very little education.

Trash talking is for competitors of near equal skill level. Don't even try talking trash with someone who is better than you because you'll always look like an idiot.

Damn, calm down Napoleon

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W

I relate to Anchorman. The script is like pages ripped from my journal.