eBay/USPS purchase in the process of going wrong

delmer

I bought a set of irons on eBay that were shipped out over a week ago. They were advertised with USPS Priority shipping and insured. The sent them Parcel Select. That's 2-8 days according to the PO and since they didn't show up today we're outside the 8 day window. The seller doesn't seem too worried about communicating me so I called USPS and they said they won't open an investigation and try to track down where these are until 14 days after they were sent. The last scan was a week ago so I don't have a whole lot of hope that these will get here.

The rub is the set I bought is 5-P so I went ahead and bought a 3 and 4 iron to match (They got here already) so I'm really just wondering if anyone has had any luck or can recommend a number I call to try to track down the package.

I know I'm protected with PayPal and eBay but now that I've invested in the 3 and 4 iron I'm really hoping to try to track down the missing USPS package.

BTW The seller told me in a message that he purchased insurance but USPS confirmed that the package is not insured.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same thing a few weeks back. Bought a driver before Christmas, advertised as USPS Priority shipping, but sent out via Retail Ground, the new term for Parcel Select. Eventually after 2+ weeks of little to no tracking updates they showed up. So be patient, you should be ok. It's frustrating and annoying but at this point there's not much you can do. You can call USPS but it's not like they're going to fast track the process just because you asked. Best of luck.

I had the same thing a few weeks back. Bought a driver before Christmas, advertised as USPS Priority shipping, but sent out via Retail Ground, the new term for Parcel Select. Eventually after 2+ weeks of little to no tracking updates they showed up. So be patient, you should be ok. It's frustrating and annoying but at this point there's not much you can do. You can call USPS but it's not like they're going to fast track the process just because you asked. Best of luck.

I kind of figured this was one of those just sit around and wait for a couple weeks situation but I was hoping someone found a way to get USPS to actually do something. That is probably the definition of wishful thinking.

I kind of figured this was one of those just sit around and wait for a couple weeks situation but I was hoping someone found a way to get USPS to actually do something. That is probably the definition of wishful thinking.

USPS would do something if it was sent priority or express. As of now, your beef is with the seller and not usps.

USPS would do something if it was sent priority or express. As of now, your beef is with the seller and not usps.

USPS will do something after 14 days. Now it's kind of on both of them because they are outside of the 2-8 day delivery time but I'm not holding my breath for either party to do anything.

They were advertised as Fast and Free and since they didn't arrive by the guarantee date eBay hooked me up with a $5 credit. I can't wait to go on a shopping spree with it.

Isn't that a great guarantee? If your $800 set of irons don't show up we're going to graciously give you a $5 credit to use on our site. That's mighty generous of them.

This summer I sent a shaft to a guy in Nashville form Columbus 3 day priority mail that tracking actually said was delivered in 3 days. It wasn’t.

He actually got it 5 weeks later. Total mystery. It just showed up one day. The great black hole of USPS ate it and spit it out a month later.

Wait a little longer before you panic, but it is the sellers responsibility to get it to you no matter what.

I'm heading out of town next Thursday so I've got my fingers crossed.

USPS is really convenient because they'll pick up for free and they're generally cheaper but I think I'm going to be a FedEx guy from now on.

I like the USPS policy of they won't open an investigation until 14 days after the ship date. They want to wait for the package to get good and lost before they open the investigation up.

You don’t buy online much, do you (especially eBay)? This is par for the course. Sometimes things take way longer than you expect, sometimes they show up tomorrow. If you plan on buying online then watching tracking like you’re watching a tv show, you’re going to give yourself ulcers.

edit - It is crappy they advertised Priority (Fast & Free), then delivered via slowest & cheapest possible. Make sure and ding them on your feedback. I have a feeling I know who the seller is, but you should seriously share them here so as to warn others of this mild bait and switch.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

I bought a set of irons on eBay that were shipped out over a week ago. They were advertised with USPS Priority shipping and insured. The sent them Parcel Select. That's 2-8 days according to the PO and since they didn't show up today we're outside the 8 day window. The seller doesn't seem too worried about communicating me so I called USPS and they said they won't open an investigation and try to track down where these are until 14 days after they were sent. The last scan was a week ago so I don't have a whole lot of hope that these will get here.

The rub is the set I bought is 5-P so I went ahead and bought a 3 and 4 iron to match (They got here already) so I'm really just wondering if anyone has had any luck or can recommend a number I call to try to track down the package.

I know I'm protected with PayPal and eBay but now that I've invested in the 3 and 4 iron I'm really hoping to try to track down the missing USPS package.

BTW The seller told me in a message that he purchased insurance but USPS confirmed that the package is not insured.

You don’t buy online much, do you (especially eBay)? This is par for the course. Sometimes things take way longer than you expect, sometimes they show up tomorrow. If you plan on buying online then watching tracking like you’re watching a tv show, you’re going to give yourself ulcers.

This is the issue.

Handicap:  3

This is the issue.

Agree, I was editing my post as you were correcting me

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

Does the insured thing matter as a buyer? If the package is lost you have to collect your refund from the seller. The buyer has nothing directly to do with the insurance payment. With eBay/paypal the buyer is already insured.

No, but as the buyer you'd better be home or have someone there to accept the package otherwise they leave it there on the porch (or wherever) if there's no signature required.

And once they do that it is the buyer who will suffer if it disappears.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Does the insured thing matter as a buyer? If the package is lost you have to collect your refund from the seller. The buyer has nothing directly to do with the insurance payment. With eBay/paypal the buyer is already insured.

No, but as the buyer you'd better be home or have someone there to accept the package otherwise they leave it there on the porch (or wherever) if there's no signature required.

This post is step one to this thread devolving into a tangent about which carrier sucks the worst or least thread. I’m sure the OP really wants to read that he should sit on his front porch for the next couple weeks waiting for the mailman. That should help him.

This post is step one to this thread devolving into a tangent about which carrier sucks the worst or least thread. I’m sure the OP really wants to read that he should sit on his front porch for the next couple weeks waiting for the mailman. That should help him.

The point is that when the Post Office delivers the package per instructions, which is usually to LEAVE the package, their responsibility is DONE. As is the P.O. insurance coverage.

Should the buyer then somehow not GET the package, HE is on the hook. The seller and the P.O. have both fulfilled their obligations and, at least as far as eBay is concerned, relieved themselves of responsibility.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Titleist Pro V1X

The point is that when the Post Office delivers the package per instructions, which is usually to LEAVE the package, their responsibility, and therefore the insurance bought by the seller, is OVER.

Should the buyer then somehow not GET the package, HE is on the hook. The seller and the P.O. have both fulfilled their obligations and, at least as far as eBay is concerned, relieved themselves of responsibility.

Forewarned is forearmed.

And I’m sure he posted this so he could be made aware of any other possible things to worry about, that really have little relevance to his current situation. But whatever, I’ve contributed (positively or negatively) enough in this thread that I don’t care much about.

They'll get there, f-ing relax.

Shipped a shaft out Priority to Chicago last Friday, posted delivery expected Monday, Monday item delayed. That status stayed until Wednesday when it showed up in Desmoines Iowa, then yesterday said expected delivery Saturday, then changed to delayed. This morning it's 34 miles from Chi-town so we'll just wait. The buyer has sent me several messages worrying that I'm ripping him off. STFU and wait, I don't run USPS or even work for them, FFS.

You guys that don't have much experience with shipping can be a pain in the a**. I paid for Priority and have zero recourse so RELAX!!!

Shipped a shaft out Priority to Chicago last Friday, posted delivery expected Monday, Monday item delayed. That status stayed until Wednesday when it showed up in Desmoines Iowa, then yesterday said expected delivery Saturday, then changed to delayed. This morning it's 34 miles from Chi-town so we'll just wait. The buyer has sent me several messages worrying that I'm ripping him off. STFU and wait, I don't run USPS or even work for them, FFS.

You guys that don't have much experience with shipping can be a pain in the a**. I paid for Priority and have zero recourse so RELAX!!!

I've got over 1K feedback rating on eBay, I have experience with shipping. Basically the point of this thread for me was to see if anyone had any experience talking to USPS about a situation where your shipment hadn't been scanned for over a week. I've seen packages a day or two late but I've never sent nor received a package that went over week between scans so sorry for my ignorance.

My issue and your issue also aren't the same. I paid for Priority and he shipped Select. We're sitting at 9 days now when the original ETA was 2 days. There's also no scan this morning so it's not showing up today. If it were a day or two late no big deal but it's over a week late so when should I stop STFU FFS in your opinion?

The point is that when the Post Office delivers the package per instructions, which is usually to LEAVE the package, their responsibility, and therefore the insurance bought by the seller, is OVER.

Forewarned is forearmed.

And I’m sure he posted this so he could be made aware of any other possible things to worry about, that really have little relevance to his current situation. But whatever, I’ve contributed (positively or negatively) enough in this thread that I don’t care much about.

No problem, just because I don't have much feedback here doesn't mean I don't understand how the Post Office works. I'm no Cliff Clavin but I've sent a few packages in my days.

I've got over 1K feedback rating on eBay, I have experience with shipping. Basically the point of this thread for me was to see if anyone had any experience talking to USPS about a situation where your shipment hadn't been scanned for over a week. I've seen packages a day or two late but I've never sent nor received a package that went over week between scans so sorry for my ignorance.

My issue and your issue also aren't the same. I paid for Priority and he shipped Select. We're sitting at 9 days now when the original ETA was 2 days. There's also no scan this morning so it's not showing up today. If it were a day or two late no big deal but it's over a week late so when should I stop STFU FFS in your opinion?

I apologize. Guy was already messaging me at 6am this morning. Was a little worked up. USPS doesn't give a sh*t. They just say that nothing's guaranteed. I don't understand why we have to pay extra for Priority if it's not guaranteed. I shipped a putter to Wisconsin 1 time, Priority, took it 17 days, same sh*t.

The point is that when the Post Office delivers the package per instructions, which is usually to LEAVE the package, their responsibility is DONE. As is the P.O. insurance coverage.

Forewarned is forearmed.

This is correct but it's kind of hard to blame a seller if someone steals a package off your porch and if you're worried about that either ask the seller to request a signature or alter the delivery instructions and go pick it up at the PO.

Luckily I live in a nice area and I have a Ring doorbell. Some sort of video doorbell should be on the top of every club ho's list.

Forewarned is forearmed.

This is correct but it's kind of hard to blame a seller if someone steals a package off your porch and if you're worried about that either ask the seller to request a signature or alter the delivery instructions and go pick it up at the PO.

Luckily I live in a nice area and I have a Ring doorbell. Some sort of video doorbell should be on the top of every club ho's list.

I understand that. I think I said as much. The seller is off the hook once the package is marked "delivered" in the USPS system. From that point on it's on the buyer for an "item not received".

I must have had 2 dozen packages delivered to my new home in the last 18 month. Never a worry. Quiet neighborhood and the street in front is not only 100 feet from my door but it's not a through/city street.

Not the case for everybody though. Glad you're in a similar position.

Titleist Pro V1X

Why is it that people can't fathom having an item shipped to a location where they might actually be someone there to receive it???

A business - a friend - a neighbor who sits home all day.

I have been on the wrong end of a shipping problem, where it was dropped off by the carrier as requested, to the proper address. Buyer contacted ebay/PayPal and stated they never received it, altho I provided proof of delivery.

Wanna guess how it ended???

Correct - I was forced to swallow the loss, since the buyer actually never received the item. So, I had to ship another item to them, but this time I required them to decide on either signature, or delivery to their place of work.

I can't be scammed twice in a row.

OP - eventually, you'll get either the item or a refund. Unfortunate that this is the new normal.

RELAX. Where do you see anything about 2-8 days guaranteed delivery? Nothing is guaranteed. It's all ESTIMATED delivery. Priority is even estimated 2-3 days but NEVER guaranteed. Also, shipping is business days.

Ding the seller with a negative for slow shipping after you get your stuff. It will come. USPS Retail could be two weeks or more. Where did it ship from and where is it going?

RELAX. Where do you see anything about 2-8 days guaranteed delivery? Nothing is guaranteed. It's all ESTIMATED delivery. Priority is even estimated 2-3 days but NEVER guaranteed. Also, shipping is business days.

Ding the seller with a negative for slow shipping after you get your stuff. It will come. USPS Retail could be two weeks or more. Where did it ship from and where is it going?

When would you suggest I take action? It's now been over a week from the last tracking scan.

Also did I ever state I though there was a 2-8 week, I mean day guarantee? No but at what point do I try to hunt the package down? 2 weeks from the last scan?

I've messaged the seller twice, once when I noticed he sent it snail service when he advertised Priority, and once after the eBay "Guaranteed Delivery Date" came and went. I'm happy to do the leg work to try to hunt the package down which is the reason why I reached out to you guys to see if anyone has had any success in doing so or knew which department within USPS I might have luck with.

If I'm acting irrationally in your mind and need to relax then I apologize.

Also did I ever state I though there was a 2-8 week, I mean day guarantee? No but at what point do I try to hunt the package down? 2 weeks from the last scan?

I've messaged the seller twice, once when I noticed he sent it snail service when he advertised Priority, and once after the eBay "Guaranteed Delivery Date" came and went. I'm happy to do the leg work to try to hunt the package down which is the reason why I reached out to you guys to see if anyone has had any success in doing so or knew which department within USPS I might have luck with.

If I'm acting irrationally in your mind and need to relax then I apologize.

I understand you're ticked, I would be too. Show me your ebay transaction where it says anything about guaranteed delivery date/time frame. And it's not from the date you purchased.

The package isn't lost. It's just slow. You said you purchased a week ago? Wait another week I bet you it shows up.

Did you do all this stuff already? https://www.usps.com/help/missing-mail.htm

I recommend signing up for the Informed Delivery service which will email you tracking updates and alerts for packages sent to you.