Jimmy Ballard

Just wanted to touch on putting real quick.

I've never been a good putter (34-38 putts a round). Could always read greens well, but couldn't get my putts to start on line. Speed control was my enemy.....I'll leave it there lol.

Decided about 3 weeks ago to use the Jimmy Ballard putting which means "release the putter head". Felt a little uncomfortable at 1st, but I kept at it. Practicing for an hour or so 2-3 times a week at my local lighted range.

I am now contacting each putt on the sweet spot and my distance control (lag putts) is like a pro.

Yesterdays round I only had 28 putts. Recently I have been averaging between 29-31 putts a round.

Here is the putting video from JB.

Same swing as a full swing, just in a putting form. Now if I could fix my short game using JB's way, I may be onto something lol

I've never been a good putter (34-38 putts a round). Could always read greens well, but couldn't get my putts to start on line. Speed control was my enemy.....I'll leave it there lol.

Decided about 3 weeks ago to use the Jimmy Ballard putting which means "release the putter head". Felt a little uncomfortable at 1st, but I kept at it. Practicing for an hour or so 2-3 times a week at my local lighted range.

I am now contacting each putt on the sweet spot and my distance control (lag putts) is like a pro.

Yesterdays round I only had 28 putts. Recently I have been averaging between 29-31 putts a round.

Same swing as a full swing, just in a putting form. Now if I could fix my short game using JB's way, I may be onto something lol

All great putters in pro golf release the clubhead. Look at Jordan. Think of perfect putting machines like Ben Crenshaw or Brad Faxon. And watch videos of the ultimate putter in pro tournament golf: Jack Nicklaus. They all find a way to release and hit it pure. The beauty of JB teaching lies in its simplicity, you repeat the same old set-up and motion from driver to putter. And you go solid and accurate like heck, no beating about the bush with JB, LOL.

Since you're working on your JB swing why don't you try the shirt logo drill for chipping. It's not a drill in fact but a pointer for connection of a short left arm. You place your arm on your shirt logo and you keep it there through the swing. You can only start your backswing with your shoulder and upper body. With that set up you just chip or pitch, you'll notice in no time there's no manipulation whatsoever of the club and the ballstriking becomes superb. The rest of it is mostly practice to groove distance and direction. And make sure you stand tall from stance to finish.

Long story short, after he watched me hit balls for about 10 minutes, he took a metal yardstick and measured me across my back from outsides of each shoulder. We used that yardstick on the ground and that measurement for the rest of the lesson, and I've got an alignment stick in my bag with a piece of tape that distance from the end that I use periodically just to check my stance width. It's an absolutely critical piece of the Ballard method, and way, way too often overlooked. Proper stance width makes the rest of the stuff flow so much more easily.

I tried this measurement technique and discovered a shoulder width stance is much wider that I had thought when setting my feet independently. It will take a bit of practice to get used to the wider stance.

-- Scott

Long story short, after he watched me hit balls for about 10 minutes, he took a metal yardstick and measured me across my back from outsides of each shoulder. We used that yardstick on the ground and that measurement for the rest of the lesson, and I've got an alignment stick in my bag with a piece of tape that distance from the end that I use periodically just to check my stance width. It's an absolutely critical piece of the Ballard method, and way, way too often overlooked. Proper stance width makes the rest of the stuff flow so much more easily.

I tried this measurement technique and discovered a shoulder width stance is much wider that I had thought when setting my feet independently. It will take a bit of practice to get used to the wider stance.

-- Scott

Scott,

It's no different than any other change; it feels odd at first, but becomes second nature. I check myself periodically, especially when I think I may be getting too narrow; I'm never off by more than an inch or so. Give it time.

Now that I’ve got the time I’m going to update my JB swing changes briefly. I’ve been playing this week and all my work is showing on the course. I’ve been hitting solid and straight drives for several rounds. Mostly a little bit of a fade, high trajectory and my usual distance when I play well.

There’s been a substantial improvement from 120 yards in. That had been my worst nightmare for most last year. I think the connected short left arm has made a heck of a difference. I hit a bunch of 30/40 yard pitches real solid even when I thought I was going to skull it big time, which is my worst shot when playing.

Side green chipping also changed dramatically. After several years of yips I can now stand up tall and connected and hit with a lot more confidence. Sometimes I feel like I can’t hit it bad, which is quite something from a below average chipper.

In my case most misses come with the driver when I turn flat and try to roll arms to save the shot. Awful short blocks. But I’m most often on the fairway anyway. And in some cases I can hook it trying to manipulate my hands in order to get 10 more yards. But it’s mostly unconscious after so many years playing with a too much rotationary swing.

If connection and a short left arm are key so is weight transfer. If you do everything JB says but there’s no real footwork and you don’t feel the weight on your right and then on your left, it’s very difficult to hit well. It’s a real body swing. In my case I learned to play with a very active lower body back in the day so weight shift comes sort of naturally. The good thing is as this is such a thorough body motion you don’t need to be always so sharp to play decent golf. This swing does deliver when you follow suit.

This is a personal experience on the JB swing but it may help somebody and those who are well into it may chip in with their comment.

Now that I’ve got the time I’m going to update my JB swing changes briefly. I’ve been playing this week and all my work is showing on the course. I’ve been hitting solid and straight drives for several rounds. Mostly a little bit of a fade, high trajectory and my usual distance when I play well.

There’s been a substantial improvement from 120 yards in. That had been my worst nightmare for most last year. I think the connected short left arm has made a heck of a difference. I hit a bunch of 30/40 yard pitches real solid even when I thought I was going to skull it big time, which is my worst shot when playing.

Side green chipping also changed dramatically. After several years of yips I can now stand up tall and connected and hit with a lot more confidence. Sometimes I feel like I can’t hit it bad, which is quite something from a below average chipper.

In my case most misses come with the driver when I turn flat and try to roll arms to save the shot. Awful short blocks. But I’m most often on the fairway anyway. And in some cases I can hook it trying to manipulate my hands in order to get 10 more yards. But it’s mostly unconscious after so many years playing with a too much rotationary swing.

If connection and a short left arm are key so is weight transfer. If you do everything JB says but there’s no real footwork and you don’t feel the weight on your right and then on your left, it’s very difficult to hit well. It’s a real body swing. In my case I learned to play with a very active lower body back in the day so weight shift comes sort of naturally. The good thing is as this is such a thorough body motion you don’t need to be always so sharp to play decent golf. This swing does deliver when you follow suit.

This is a personal experience on the JB swing but it may help somebody and those who are well into it may chip in with their comment.

Good post....what do you mean by "turn flat"?

The best putting aid on the market IMO and Jimmy Ballard loved it too, I gave him one as a gift he liked it so much when he saw mine. It keeps the butt end of the club always in center for the perfect release and stroke path without actually working on path by itself, this tool takes care of the path for you. Hit 50 putts a day with it and it will help train you physically to become a great putter, the mental aspect of being a great putter will be in your own hands, end of story!

https://www.amazon.c...1T1G/ref=sr_1_3

Thanks for this tip! I just picked one up on Ebay. This should help me continue to improve my putting with JB's connected swing mechanics (and chipping also).

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
Cobra LtdX 3 wood Fujikura Motore F1 60S
Callaway UW 21 *
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Titleist SM6 58*
LAB DF 2.1  33"

Just a quick update on my JB swing transition. I played a couple of bad rounds. I soon spotted my problem: I’m still turning too around when playing, especially as the round goes through and I start playing on autopilot. I regained form and today I hit real solid in the quick nine I played. How long will it take until I can get rid of such and ancient habit of mine? Lol.

And finally I haven’t flipped a single time for a couple of months. It’s almost like a miracle for a long time serial flipper like me. It even sounds a bit strange for me.

If I may ask, where do you guys aim for on the ball?

Went to the range today and couldn't really hit a ball. Lots of fattish shots. I usually aim for the bacl of the ball and started aiming for the font of the ball and BAM.....instant fix. Maybe that 1 inch difference got me "thru the ball" instead of "hitting at the ball"?

Weight....at impact should the weight be on more on the balls of my feet or middle of my feet?

Weight going back....I am having some trouble from time to time of getting to my right side and specifically the INSIDE OF MY RIGHT THIGH. Any tips to help out a fellow JB golfer?

As for the right arm should it stay "inside"? I have been trying to keep my left arm on my chest and turning the right side, but what happens is that my upper body becomes faster than my lower body and I hook or slice (depending on club face angle)......UGH!!!

Still having trouble not going straight back and getting the club behind me, then the downswing is all messed up. For the life of me I dont know why the weight just doesn't go back when loading to the inside of the right foot!?!?

Speedster, what is the primary purpose of the split hands drill? I have heard Ballard comment that it is a great drill, but never why it is so. In one of the videos Artie McNickle says that it helps give the feel of getting the club in the correct positron in the backswing - not flat and around. Yes, OK, but there are a number of others ways to do this that seem equally good for this. All that I can figure is that the primary purpose is to help train the left elbow to stay connected in the downswing. What do you think?

Also, does Ballard teach hitting balls this way? Or just making practice swings? This isn't clear to me, either.

Speedster, what is the primary purpose of the split hands drill? I have heard Ballard comment that it is a great drill, but never why it is so. In one of the videos Artie McNickle says that it helps give the feel of getting the club in the correct positron in the backswing - not flat and around. Yes, OK, but there are a number of others ways to do this that seem equally good for this. All that I can figure is that the primary purpose is to help train the left elbow to stay connected in the downswing. What do you think?

Also, does Ballard teach hitting balls this way? Or just making practice swings? This isn't clear to me, either.

The Ballard guy I took lessons from said he played that way for almost a year when first starting the ballard swing. Kept moving the hands closer as time went by.

If I may ask, where do you guys aim for on the ball?

Went to the range today and couldn't really hit a ball. Lots of fattish shots. I usually aim for the bacl of the ball and started aiming for the font of the ball and BAM.....instant fix. Maybe that 1 inch difference got me "thru the ball" instead of "hitting at the ball"?

Weight....at impact should the weight be on more on the balls of my feet or middle of my feet?

Weight going back....I am having some trouble from time to time of getting to my right side and specifically the INSIDE OF MY RIGHT THIGH. Any tips to help out a fellow JB golfer?

As for the right arm should it stay "inside"? I have been trying to keep my left arm on my chest and turning the right side, but what happens is that my upper body becomes faster than my lower body and I hook or slice (depending on club face angle)......UGH!!!

Still having trouble not going straight back and getting the club behind me, then the downswing is all messed up. For the life of me I dont know why the weight just doesn't go back when loading to the inside of the right foot!?!?

I aim for the target, not the ball.... the ball just gets in the way of a fluid swing. You don't want to get yourself too ball bound, instead you want to get more target oriented. You might of just found a temporary band-aid, but playing under pressure being ball oriented is not going to hold up. Most faults in golf originate from an incorrect set-up and if you focus too much on the ball then you will hang back and chunk it all day long, try releasing your eyes to the target as soon as you make your downswing transition and that might help stop you from hitting it fat, you really can't release your eyes on the downswing soon enough, but you definitely can release them too slow.... I honestly don't even think about the ball, but I do see the target in my minds eye from the time I address to the time the ball lands at my target!

The weight should be on the balls of your feet in a balanced stance and posture from address to the finish.

The left arm should be connected and stay connected, the right arm should be soft and NOT tucked under the left arm, that will definitely get your swing too much around. If you are "turning your right side" that right there will stop you from shifting to a braced right leg.... the right side should be working UP, NOT AROUND. As Jimmy says, the word "TURN" has caused more reverse pivots and problems for golfers than anything and should not even be used when describing or feeling the golf swing..... you can't turn and also go straight back, the two contradict each other!

I wrote down what you said on my iPhone notes app and added it to my collection lol.

What you say about "aim for the target" is good. I was doing that for a few rounds and in the never-ending quest for more power I started aiming/hitting at the ball.

To compound on what you said, I have been getting to my heels more aka rotating on my backswing to try to get more power. Stay on the balls of my feet in my backswing and downswing is what I will focus on.....the swing starts from the ground.

The rotation is what got to me (it seems).

I try to get my left shoulder "behind the ball" on the backswing and it seems like I then make the swing rotational??

Old habits crept in and lost my way of the JB swing. I am playing tomorrow morning and will put your tips into pay (again). They are very simple....just need to get the damn swing grooved so I don't have to think.

Good thing is that its easy to fix and get back on track (due to your help too lol)

Working on my swing I notice my big issue is not the takeaway, but from halfway back to top, the club goes too far around. Left wrist bows a little and the club is too laid off. It starts down the same way. Any Ballard ideas on making sure the club continues up halfway back instead of around? Keeping the right shoulder higher helps, but the club still goes around instead of up every three swings or so. I have been using the wall drill with some success, but I feel it constricts the coil into the right.

Working on my swing I notice my big issue is not the takeaway, but from halfway back to top, the club goes too far around. Left wrist bows a little and the club is too laid off. It starts down the same way. Any Ballard ideas on making sure the club continues up halfway back instead of around? Keeping the right shoulder higher helps, but the club still goes around instead of up every three swings or so. I have been using the wall drill with some success, but I feel it constricts the coil into the right.

The split hand drill

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

I would bet you my next Social Security check that your problem *is* your takeaway. And your setup, probably.

Set up upright. You are curling weights. Put your left elbow on your body at address, and keep it there. If you do this it is hard to imagine that you can get flat because your elbow will remain pointed at the ground and the club will go up, not around. This is connection, and you are almost certainly getting disconnected. If you doubt this have somebody take a video. A video is with a thousand denials. Elbow down, not out, always always always - Ballard 101, and it isn't easy depending on where you have been up to now. I speak from long and frustrating experience. Old habits die hard...

Torbill is right, it's impossible to go around if you stay connected with the left elbow pointing down. You can also try one of these on your right hand, besides the Connector, it's the only other training aid that JB sells: https://www.ebay.com...ve/322699817786

I remembered I bought this glove about 8 years ago and dug it out. It helped, I think it is more a hand-wrist issue that occurs half way back. I appreciate the feedback from you and Torbill, focused more on the club being loaded by the elbows, weight on the ball of feet rather than heels and it was more consistent, at least indoors. It is a mental issue, at least 1 out of every five swings reverts back to the move I have always fought, the too around on both backswing and downswing.

Speedster what is the purpose of the right hand glove? Just keeping the right hand from getting flat(supinating) and more up right?

The right hand glove helps get the club up and not around with a "flatter" right wrist at the top.... the point you will really notice the glove is from half way back to the top, especially if you fight going around. Not something you need to wear for the rest of your life, just until you stop going around. It pretty much does the opposite of the "waiter holding a tray" feel at the top, it cups the left wrist more, helping you get more toe down at the top with the clubface, and it flattens the right wrist.

Calvin Peete, the straightest driver of the golf ball of all time used to practice with one of these on his right hand, he called it the "no hooker" because it makes hooking the ball really tough.

Thank you sir. Holding the tray was something that I did with inconsistent results. Glove is on order