2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Wilson FG Tour V6 Irons: In-hand photos

GolfWRX

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never had them the same time. I do not find a loss of distance with the V4.

The V4 remind me of the Cobra S3 Pro from a head length perspective.

After playing them for two years, everything else looks big.

They do have a slightly thicker sole compared to other players clubs, which aids in forgiveness.

I really, really like them,. You will find many fans on this board.

I am very seriously considering buying the v4 sight unseen; how do u think they would compare to my mp25 which I currently game with dgs300 shafts?

I haven't hit the 25s but they look to have a slightly longer blade length than the V4. Top line might be a bit thicker as well. Sole width probably similar, this is where I think the V4s really hit it out of the park with forgiveness. I would imagine the Zunes feel better since they're a softer steel but that's really subjective.

The specs for the two show slight loft/lie differences as well. I think you'd get similar results with the mildly more compact V4. I had MP 53/54 in DG S300s, my V4s are also S300s (DG Pro). Haven't noticed any real change in ball flight with the same/similar shafts.

I am very seriously considering buying the v4 sight unseen; how do u think they would compare to my mp25 which I currently game with dgs300 shafts?

I haven't hit the 25s but they look to have a slightly longer blade length than the V4. Top line might be a bit thicker as well. Sole width probably similar, this is where I think the V4s really hit it out of the park with forgiveness. I would imagine the Zunes feel better since they're a softer steel but that's really subjective.

The specs for the two show slight loft/lie differences as well. I think you'd get similar results with the mildly more compact V4. I had MP 53/54 in DG S300s, my V4s are also S300s (DG Pro). Haven't noticed any real change in ball flight with the same/similar shafts.

Yes the sole looks mildly bigger on the v4 but I wasn't sure. I can at times struggle with my long irons, so from what I'm reading the Wilsons may be easier with that tungsten insert. So with the dg pro shaft, would that help negate any potential distance loss with going to weaker lofts? Others have said they did not notice a distance loss vs more current lofted irons.

Yes the sole looks mildly bigger on the v4 but I wasn't sure. I can at times struggle with my long irons, so from what I'm reading the Wilsons may be easier with that tungsten insert. So with the dg pro shaft, would that help negate any potential distance loss with going to weaker lofts? Others have said they did not notice a distance loss vs more current lofted irons.

To my understanding, the DG Pro steps differently to promote higher ball flight in lower irons and reduce the flight in the higher irons. I'll be honest, I can't really tell a difference but I have a high ball flight with everything I seem to hit. I do notice the tungsten doing god's work on some of my poor strikes.

I prefer the weaker lofts as it is what I'm used to. I haven't noticed much of anything using the Pro vs the normal DG I grew up with. However, I should be in an X100 instead of an S300 so that might be part of the problem.

Edit: Here's an actual test when the shafts came out. Seems to be some distance gained.

https://Not allowed because of spam.com/review-dynamic-gold-dg-pro-iron-shafts/

Took delivery today of some V6's, 4-PW s300 AMT. Look pure, feel pure. Excited to use them on course tomorrow. Will report back when I can.

Looking forward to hearing how you like them. I have had them for a couple weeks. I put them up for sale on this site and did not get what I wanted. I then put them on ebay two days ago. Yesterday, I played with them and loved them so much, I went home after the round and took them off ebay before anybody could bid on them. I am going to give the shafts another week or two before deciding whether to reshaft or not, but I think I am going to keep the irons. Very easy to hit and the feel is butter. I have the S300 AMT shafts. My other clubs are Ping S55 with KBS Tour 110 stiff. The Wilsons are just as forgiving and the feel is just amazing.

I got my V4's last Thursday and I have had one range session and three rounds with them.

My first impression was whoops, what have I done, they went no where, but now I'm impressed, very impressed.

The TT DG Pro's felt strange at first but I'm coming from S300 and Modus 3 before these, however during this last week I've come to appreciate them. A little lighter thus a bit more speed, control seems fine and they appear to do what it says on the tin. Long irons get up there and short ones get out there.

As for the clubs themselves, I was hoping for something similar to the V2 and I have not been disappointed. They look really neat behind the ball, they feel and sound superb and for traditionally lofted clubs they are long.

I was playing AP2 716 up until a couple of weeks ago and despite the stronger lofts the V4's are longer, not by much, but they are longer.

All in all a really nice club, and if the V6's are better than all I can say is wow.

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

Differences between the V4 and V6:

The V4 have a slightly thicker top line, and a slightly thicker sole;

The irons with tungsten have a little more in the V6;

The tungsten is split in the 4 and 5 irons (heel-toe vs centred), and

The cavity looks better in the V6 than the V4.

I'm a big fan of the fours. The shaft works very well with the head. Initially, you think that you will have shorter irons with the weaker lofts, but they end up the same or longer; but putting the distance aside, the real benefit is the increased quality of dispersion (smaller dispersion circle).

1st club that I've had, that I have CONFIDENCE that a well struck iron will go where it's supposed (if I take myself out of the equation).

Congratulations on the purchase. IMHO, you've picked up one of the sleeper sets in the players market. Enjoy them.

I am currently down to the Wilson v6 and the Callaway Apex cf16. I know they are two different clubs but I am focusing on loft comparison not the number on the bottom of the club. The Wilson is leading for me so far. Such a great feel. Look amazing at address.

I am currently playing 714 AP2 with TI DGx-100 soft stepped. I feel like the v6 is just as forgiving???

I've been playing the V6 with Project X 6.0 steel for about 6 weeks now. This set was on sale and I was not sure of the shaft and I planned to change them, but I'm absolutely loving the set up! Maybe it's the higher loft and firmer shaft combo but I've never had more confidence in a club. Feel is great, easy to shape shots without getting too far left and right, spot on accuracy, haven't lost any real distance with the higher loft (3-5 yards on the short irons), and enough forgiveness for those few swings a round where I really miss the center of the face. I practice a lot but play rarely (9 HC), and this "tweener" better players club fits my level perfectly. I can't say enough about the V6. Of course I do wish they'd drop all color from the cavity, but it's my only complaint. Their US website is bad though and it's kind of baffling how Wilson could make such a great product and support it so poorly.

• 2 weeks later...

One round and a few hundred practice balls hit. Great irons. Great feel. I actually think I like the s300 AMT's. I've moved on from Apex pro (2014) with Nippon nspro950's to these as a comparison.

These are shorter in distance but not by much. And to be honest the Apex were super long for me. (Longest I'd ever hit.) The positive of this is that I feel more accurate in both dispersion and distance control. The distance control is something I really hoped to have with these irons over the Apex, as I struggled with that a lot. Signs are good early in this regard. I also note that chipping with shorter irons is more consistent compared to the Apex. It doesn't just rocket off unexpectedly.

They are way more appealing to my eye also. When in the bag and especially when over the ball. Small head, way less offset than the Apex, thin top line and I love the chrome finish.

Re forgiveness I'd say it isn't as forgiving as the Apex but it's only minimal. I'm talking toe and heel shots. Feels harsher but result still similar to Apex. Shaft could be a factor I guess. The plus to this is centre shots feel awesome. Must be more weight or bulk directly behind the middle.

No dramas with height in the long irons.

Anyway they are in the bag for sure. Great clubs Wilson, they're back.

Hi, has anybody compared these with Titleist cb 716?

When I was getting fit over the winter I started out with half a dozen options and based on look, feel and performance I narrowed them down to the 716 cb and V6. For me the looks are a tie and they both feel great. Not quite Mizuno soft but not far off. Performance was nearly identical for me. I went with a 716 cb/mb combo set because, believe it or not, the Titleist was cheaper by a few hundred dollars because the PX lz was a big upcharge for the V6 and no upcharge for Titleist. Cant go wrong with either.

• 3 weeks later...

Curious how these play compared to my old PI5's? The soles are wider...they sure are beautiful.

Cobra F8 10.5* UST Attas Coool 7S
Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue 75
Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
Chrome Soft
Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry

• 3 weeks later...

Just pulled the trigger on a 5-P set of the V6. Always been a big W/S fan for irons and wedges particularly.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Been playing these for about a month, and we're getting along well. Love the look and the feel off these V6's.

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

• 3 months later...

Didn't get the set back Dec/jan.....but finally got to hit them! Very soft, high launch and a great look.....these will definitely be had just a matter of shaft and flex ....hit amt s300 in stock length and half inch over.....also r300 in std length....better strikes with half over but long term I'm concerned......

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been playing the V6 with Project X 6.0 steel for about 6 weeks now. This set was on sale and I was not sure of the shaft and I planned to change them, but I'm absolutely loving the set up! Maybe it's the higher loft and firmer shaft combo but I've never had more confidence in a club. Feel is great, easy to shape shots without getting too far left and right, spot on accuracy, haven't lost any real distance with the higher loft (3-5 yards on the short irons), and enough forgiveness for those few swings a round where I really miss the center of the face. I practice a lot but play rarely (9 HC), and this "tweener" better players club fits my level perfectly. I can't say enough about the V6. Of course I do wish they'd drop all color from the cavity, but it's my only complaint. Their US website is bad though and it's kind of baffling how Wilson could make such a great product and support it so poorly.

I have the same set up an i'm very impressed i thought they were going to feel harsh but they feel great an play even better i happened to go to the local golf store someone had just traded them in they were 389.00 i traded in a couple of clubs an 100.00 bucks an away i went

• 6 months later...

Bumping this old thread. Saw a set of these at the local shop today, and loved the look of them. Went to the Wilson website to find more information about them, and there was absolutely no spec information available, so I decided to search here on Wrx (found the specs a few pages back). Amazing that is the case that the OEM has no information listed. Great looking irons...just too bad Wilson has no marketing budget (apparently) to do even the most basic things to support a product.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Yeah, the info was on the site, just difficult to find if I remember correctly.

They’ll be 2 years old this year so probably being replaced with a 7 series. Promoting they’re D7 driver now on social media.

Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
TM M2 3 wood
King Cobra F6 5 wood
Titleist 816 H1 21 hybrid
Wilson Staff V6 Forged 5-GW
Mizuno T7 56
Evnroll ER1

Yeah, the info was on the site, just difficult to find if I remember correctly.

They’ll be 2 years old this year so probably being replaced with a 7 series. Promoting they’re D7 driver now on social media.

No info was ever on their site...just check the specs on the D7 irons on their site (attached) and you'll see the same thing. Good point about the 2-year cycle. They are still promoting the V6 on IG based on this recent post:

https://www.instagra...m/p/Br21-g1Bb_O

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

If you go to golf in the drop down, select irons, then select custom, you can click on your set make up or single iron, then all the info will be available for you to select shafts, grips, etc.

Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
TM M2 3 wood
King Cobra F6 5 wood
Titleist 816 H1 21 hybrid
Wilson Staff V6 Forged 5-GW
Mizuno T7 56
Evnroll ER1