higher loft driver

just plain bill

I've been struggling with my Epic 10.5 lately 45" set at Straight/Neutral, animal style )tried at 11.5( alot less roll += more spin)

Went to get fitted for a G400, and the fitter asked to tweak my Epic a bit. Both weight to the heel, 9.5 draw setting......BOOM dropped the spin down to 2400, and hitting nice tight draws, at least according to the monitor.

My SS is right around 90-93, and I play a Speeder 661 Stiff. I've tried regular flex and heavier in the past without success.

Imagine my surprise when he put in a 10* G400LST / Hzrdus yellow 71g 6.0 gving me the best #'s, followed closely by the G400 9.5 with the same shaft. Both with great dispersion and about 7-8 yards more carry than the Epic setup. And way more forgiving on miss hits!

Going to a Ping fitting at Papago next week and hope to verify outdoors, and try the HZRDUS in 5.5.

I am a bit more of a hitter, but i goes to show that lofting up ain't always the solution.

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i get on launch monitors, and the numbers say "this is the one for you" but the distance and accuracy isn't much different than what i already have. i think when i get on a course, that's where the rubber meets the road. when it counts. when there's water over there. when you gotta put it in the fairway and stay outa trouble. that's where, for me, the 16 is the go-to club. it's gonna go straight and 200. will the 10.5 sometimes get me in trouble? yup. will the 12 sometimes get me in trouble? yup. but less than the 10.5. but that 16 is extremely reliable. i'm gonna play a few rounds with just the 16 as driver and see what the results are. of course, i'll leave the other 2 at home, cuz temptation always rears its ugly head...

always find and use what works for you! by all means, use a lower loft if that works, especially if you tried a higher loft. you just never know what'll work for YOU!

good luck to all!

i get on launch monitors, and the numbers say "this is the one for you" but the distance and accuracy isn't much different than what i already have. i think when i get on a course, that's where the rubber meets the road. when it counts. when there's water over there. when you gotta put it in the fairway and stay outa trouble. that's where, for me, the 16 is the go-to club. it's gonna go straight and 200. will the 10.5 sometimes get me in trouble? yup. will the 12 sometimes get me in trouble? yup. but less than the 10.5. but that 16 is extremely reliable. i'm gonna play a few rounds with just the 16 as driver and see what the results are. of course, i'll leave the other 2 at home, cuz temptation always rears its ugly head...

always find and use what works for you! by all means, use a lower loft if that works, especially if you tried a higher loft. you just never know what'll work for YOU!

good luck to all!

How is the face angle on the 13 and 16* Nike’s?

I’ve tried the Hibore 16* 2w but it sat a bit closed and I drew it too much.

Also I tried a ping g812 (15*) with a Reg flex shaft and it drew a bit too much as well (face appeared slightly closed).

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

I am a big fan of the Rapture V2. I own both 10.5 and 12* versions. Same shaft. The 10.5 launches much higher and carries farther than the 12* version (or anything else I have tried). I suspect the 10.5 is actually 13+*, but since it performs so well, me and my average Joe ego have no desire to know the true loft.

good luck to all!

How is the face angle on the 13 and 16* Nike's?

I've tried the Hibore 16* 2w but it sat a bit closed and I drew it too much.

Also I tried a ping g812 (15*) with a Reg flex shaft and it drew a bit too much as well (face appeared slightly closed).

just set em both on the carpet. seem pretty square to me. for some reason i'm struggling with the 13. probably swinging it too hard, lol. gotta work on it...

I am a big fan of the Rapture V2. I own both 10.5 and 12* versions. Same shaft. The 10.5 launches much higher and carries farther than the 12* version (or anything else I have tried). I suspect the 10.5 is actually 13+*, but since it performs so well, me and my average Joe ego have no desire to know the true loft.

Wow interesting.

I have played several high loft drivers in my day ranging from 12-16* and currently my M3 12* seems to launch higher than anything I’ve tried. I need high loft because my grip is ultra strong and I over rotate the club shut taking loft away at impact. The M3 is the most open faced 12* driver I’ve come across so maybe that’s why it helps me launch it high.

Ping 2023 Anser D

lol!

i have the v2 in 12. i can still get in trouble with it occasionally, usually when trying to add some oomph...the 16 lets me swing harder, yet keep it in the fwy. that's what i'm after, after all these years.

my tendency is to aim a bit right, square the face, and hope for a draw. 16 does it every time. 12 crosses me up sometimes, but not enough to completely reject it. that's why i'm thinking about getting a k15 in 12, just for the consistency of the draw bias, but the additional accuracy of the extra loft. other than that the 16 is my hero.

my tendency is to aim a bit right, square the face, and hope for a draw. 16 does it every time. 12 crosses me up sometimes, but not enough to completely reject it. that's why i'm thinking about getting a k15 in 12, just for the consistency of the draw bias, but the additional accuracy of the extra loft. other than that the 16 is my hero.

I think that era of Ping driver is notorious for vanity lofts -- 12 degrees might be much more.

DT

i should have my 16 checked!

Can you post a pic of your 13 and 16*? I know Nike had a few models.

Ping 2023 Anser D

stock pic. 13 is same. avoid 'sumo'...go with just plain sasquatch

What’s wrong with the sumo ? Just curious ?

Looks like there was the SQ, SQ Sumo, SQ Sumo 2, then the Dymo. Have no clue the differences between each. If anyone can chime in and help.

Ping 2023 Anser D

Just bought my second Fusion driver as a backup, also a 13.5. These drivers are amazing, super forgiving. I am long because of how straight it is. Callaway preowned has a sale going on, and I bought it used, how it is used is a mystery to me, the cleanest used club I have ever seen!

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

I remember the sumo rendition had the worst, horrific, loudest, annoying sound at the time. It was unbearable. Occasionally I run into someone who has one, and it is not pleasant.

The sound is like hitting a brick with it. I think cobra and callaway had similar issues as well. This is going way back in time, and my memory might be fuzzy, lol...

Golf galaxy coupla months ago. All of a sudden that sound filled the entire store. I told my salesman it sounded like a sumo. Sure enough, some guy was hitting it on a monitor...and kept hitting it...he loved it! I think he was new to the game based on his swing. I had to leave the store; the sound was that annoying!

I remember the sumo rendition had the worst, horrific, loudest, annoying sound at the time. It was unbearable. Occasionally I run into someone who has one, and it is not pleasant.

The sound is like hitting a brick with it. I think cobra and callaway had similar issues as well. This is going way back in time, and my memory might be fuzzy, lol...

Gotcha. I thought maybe it was more performance driven.

Ping 2023 Anser D

I would think anything in the 14-16 range would be comparable. I just happened to land on the sweet 16 long ago. And the stock reg shaft seems to be perfect for me all these years of ownership. I used to basically take an easy pass, like flicking my wrists, and hit it 235 on a certain par 3 in Phoenix. But the years have taken their toll. I have to swing perfectly to hit 210...from an elevated tee...wind aided...etc...

My buddy yesterday was spraying his 9 half the time. He even used bad words to describe his misfortune. He lit up when he hit that 16!

I've been struggling with my Epic 10.5 lately 45" set at Straight/Neutral, animal style )tried at 11.5( alot less roll += more spin)

Went to get fitted for a G400, and the fitter asked to tweak my Epic a bit. Both weight to the heel, 9.5 draw setting......BOOM dropped the spin down to 2400, and hitting nice tight draws, at least according to the monitor.

My SS is right around 90-93, and I play a Speeder 661 Stiff. I've tried regular flex and heavier in the past without success.

Imagine my surprise when he put in a 10* G400LST / Hzrdus yellow 71g 6.0 gving me the best #'s, followed closely by the G400 9.5 with the same shaft. Both with great dispersion and about 7-8 yards more carry than the Epic setup. And way more forgiving on miss hits!

Going to a Ping fitting at Papago next week and hope to verify outdoors, and try the HZRDUS in 5.5.

I am a bit more of a hitter, but i goes to show that lofting up ain't always the solution.

Papago the course in phx? Enjoyed it, but played cave creek mostly of the munis.

Even back in the day I used a 12, and I was rarely beaten off the tee (3 softball leagues a week...not bragging...I could send it, lol!) 12 just tightened the dispersion enough to keep me outa trouble. I love watching a draw soar thru the atmosphere, smoking as it finally lies still in the fairway. :)

I play the sumo 13 and Bill is spot on. It’s not just the sound it’s also the shape. Both are 460 cc but the sumo rendition has way more material at the back and looks like a duck’s bill at address. It’s much harder to aim because of that as well it looks almost flat rather than the torpedo shape of the original.

The Lucky 13 and Sweet 16 are two of my favorite clubs anyone has ever made. They also have lie angles conducive to shorter shafts. Try shafting one with steel at 43 or 42.5. It’s difficult to miss. A 42” s300 shafted Lucky 13 was in my bag the last time I top 5’d something that mattered (/humblebrag) and comes in less often than it should.

If you only hit 3 wood from a tee consider steel shafting one of these at fairway wood length, teeing the ball low and forward and holding off the release. It’s a super consistent and easy 240/250 Carry cut shot.

I love these clubs. They’re my favorite excerpt maybe the DPC j40s.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

the 13 and 16 came with a bit shorter shaft as stock. i dont know the length, but definitely shorter by at least an inch. when guys tee my 16, they all remark it's shorter...then they hit it 230 down the middle...my longest today was 221. oh, that feeling when the swing is just right, and you smoosh the ball, and you follow thru, and it feels effortless, and the ball is in the center of the fairway...

faldo said something once that has stuck in my mind: swing at 70%. you'll probably swing harder than that, but you'll be under control, hitting the sweet spot, and hitting the ball further...and pause at the top! it allows you to gather yourself together, letting the parts of the swing flow naturally.

now, i've got a lousy looking swing, thanks to softball, and cant change it. totally bent left arm...but i can repeat it (actually, i cant UNrepeat it, it's so ingrained) and can get around pretty well. that 70% thing, coupled with the pause, had me striking the ball well today. was by myself on a chilly morning, and played 3 balls most of the round: pinn soft, chrome soft, and wilson duo soft. the cs just isnt happening for me at all. the duo has a noticeable lower flight by a large margin. i liked it off the tee with the 16, and felt it gave me more yards, but didnt care for it at all with every other club. the feel wasnt to my liking, especially putting. wish they made pinn soft in bright yellow...

played the 16 exclusively, as i left the 10.5 and 12 at home. coupla holes were just as long, but every one was fairway, and the 22 gave me the opportunity to get on the green, or extremely close. i like the 24 off the tee on appropriate par 3's, but definitely the 22 off the deck. both are keepers.

13 is getting a workout tomorrow. just gotta swing like faldo said!

the 13 and 16 came with a bit shorter shaft as stock. i dont know the length, but definitely shorter by at least an inch. when guys tee my 16, they all remark it's shorter...then they hit it 230 down the middle...my longest today was 221. oh, that feeling when the swing is just right, and you smoosh the ball, and you follow thru, and it feels effortless, and the ball is in the center of the fairway...

faldo said something once that has stuck in my mind: swing at 70%. you'll probably swing harder than that, but you'll be under control, hitting the sweet spot, and hitting the ball further...and pause at the top! it allows you to gather yourself together, letting the parts of the swing flow naturally.

now, i've got a lousy looking swing, thanks to softball, and cant change it. totally bent left arm...but i can repeat it (actually, i cant UNrepeat it, it's so ingrained) and can get around pretty well. that 70% thing, coupled with the pause, had me striking the ball well today. was by myself on a chilly morning, and played 3 balls most of the round: pinn soft, chrome soft, and wilson duo soft. the cs just isnt happening for me at all. the duo has a noticeable lower flight by a large margin. i liked it off the tee with the 16, and felt it gave me more yards, but didnt care for it at all with every other club. the feel wasnt to my liking, especially putting. wish they made pinn soft in bright yellow...

played the 16 exclusively, as i left the 10.5 and 12 at home. coupla holes were just as long, but every one was fairway, and the 22 gave me the opportunity to get on the green, or extremely close. i like the 24 off the tee on appropriate par 3's, but definitely the 22 off the deck. both are keepers.

13 is getting a workout tomorrow. just gotta swing like faldo said!

its not a pause at the top. its an increase in wrist angle while the body starts forward. in order to create lag you have to actually have one thing lag another. if you pause at the top, nothing happens but a slightly slower swing. if you let the clubhead drop toward your head (let your wrists continue to hinge while your body starts the downswing) you'll kill it.

in other words take a dishtowel and make a swing such that you snap the towel just after your downswing starts. it feels like a pause but its not (your wrist hinge is still increasing, but nothing else is happening). literally pausing doesn't do anything.

most people throw the wrist angle away as soon as the downswing starts. it should actually increase. feels like a pause, but the wrists are still hinging toward the target.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I was feeling the pause, however brief, but a definite pause; an intentional pause, with the next move being hips doing something, like leading the charge...I dont know what the heck I was doing, or how I was doing it, but it added 10yds to irons/wedges, and contact was crisp and solid every time. It felt miraculous, as my iron play has always been my nemesis.

Im not a technical player, apparently. I think im a feel player. I use tricks and triggers to get around. Like, when I first started this game, I could slice better than average. Then I read I should have a more inside-out swing. I tried, but failed once I got over the ball. Then I came up with a cue. Look at the ball as a clock face, and hit it at 4 oclock. Bingo! Inside out swing, and a draw. I dont know anything about mechanics, and my brain apparently doesn't work that way, at all, but simply hitting the ball at 4 oclock worked in a simplified way for me, and ive seen it work for everyone I showed it to. I guess it's that little cue that led me to a glimpse of nirvana, lol...I see something, and can feel/understand/whatever semi-mystical thing needs to be done to get going in the right direction and achieve success. Hopefully.

Same thing as a middle school teacher. They blew out the entire staff at my horribly failing campus. Landed at another campus. I wasnt teaching like the other reading/writing teachers. At all. Principle put me on a teacher improvement plan! Basically said I dont know how to teach. (Had heard that before at the other campus, but, as usual, had the highest test scores. Not bragging, believe me. It's just how my brain/soul/inner being/whatever it is, works. Im not outside the box. There isnt a box!) At the end of the year the principal calls me to his office. Im thinking I must have really F'd something up. He's got the test scores. I set a record for most kids hitting the top tier: mastery! He left me alone after that, lol.

The entire district subscribed to an online reading program that tracked how many words the kids read. My 100 kids nearly beat the other 900 kids every year. You gotta motivate. Shi, er, stuff that sounds great in tchr mtgs usually doesnt work in classrooms. It's crap. You gotta motivate. This problem student took one look at the program and declares he hates reading, and refused to participate. Few min later his wacky brain causes him to ask me if I like bacon. I told him the story about taking my boat to the coast, and stopping in victoria for an oil change at bernies. Wanted breakfast, so walked across the street to golden corral and got a mountain of bacon. Hey, I wonder if they have a story about bacon in the program. Kid discovers 2! We kinda look at the pictures together along with 2 of his buddies, then he starts reading. Then later calls me over to check out a story about hot rods. He became my #1 reader that year. Turns out he belonged in the genius program.

Kinda the same thing with golf for me. My wacky brain comes up with a solution: swing at 4 oclock! Everything else in the swing is off, or looks awful, but 4 oclock fixes it. However, 5 oclock is a hook, lol...

Was watching golf last night, paying close attn to pauses in swings. Hidecki matsuyama, in addition to having the coolest shirts, pauses a looooong time at the top. I mean he stops at the top! Announcers were pointing it out.

I wonder if he tries to hit the ball at 4 oclock, lol...

good luck to all!

How is the face angle on the 13 and 16* Nike's?

I've tried the Hibore 16* 2w but it sat a bit closed and I drew it too much.

just set em both on the carpet. seem pretty square to me. for some reason i'm struggling with the 13. probably swinging it too hard, lol. gotta work on it...

Thanks for the feedback. I know more recent Nike drivers tended to sit very neutral if not fall slightly open which fits my eye. But I wasn't sure how these older SQ/Sumo type drivers looked at address.

Ping 2023 Anser D

I was feeling the pause, however brief, but a definite pause; an intentional pause, with the next move being hips doing something, like leading the charge...I dont know what the heck I was doing, or how I was doing it, but it added 10yds to irons/wedges, and contact was crisp and solid every time. It felt miraculous, as my iron play has always been my nemesis.

Hidecki matsuyama, in addition to having the coolest shirts, pauses a looooong time at the top. I mean he stops at the top! Announcers were pointing it out.

I wonder if he tries to hit the ball at 4 oclock, lol...

Right, most people say "pause at the top" or "slow down my swing" but have no idea what it actually means so they can't reproduce it.

https://www.youtube....zzhQ5WD_6XU Matsuyama. At twelve seconds his body has stopped turning At fourteen seconds his wrists fully hinge. There is a full two seconds that you see as a "pause" where the only thing moving is his wrists putting the clubhead closer to his head. Then, when he goes, he explodes forward and turns and the wrist angle is let go straight down, not behind him. The first move with the hands is toward the right thigh NOT somewhere a foot behind him. The only way to do that is to have the wrists hinge last in the backswing.

He isn't pausing. There isn't one place in that video where the club is completely still. What he *is* doing is finishing his shoulder and body turn way before he finishes his wrist hinge. That feels like a pause, but the wrists are still hinging even as the downswing is starting. That is what "the pause" feels like when you're striping it - your body is turning but your wrists are not fully hinged when your shoulders reach 90*, so you can hold the body there, continue to c0ck the wrists, and then go together. Most players hinge first, not last, and have no power. They hinge then turn the body with the wrists frozen, and stink.

Matsuyama has almost two seconds of only wrist c0ck with his shoulders turned 90*. But he's not still.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I guess you could turn em to suit your eye. If I want to fade the 16, I grip it so it's slightly open, which im sure that's what everyone does.

That high loft slider sounds interesting. Not that I need one right now. But if that 16 ever disappears I'd give it a look. I just like being able to put the ball in the fwy. The 16 does that and more. You can call your shots!