Rick Shiels Cobra F9 Speedback driver review, the one to beat in 2019?

Hedgehog

This got me really excited to test this driver, it has been flying under the radar a bit..

Seems like the F9 is one of the best performing drivers Rick has ever tested, and best sounding driver of all time!?

[media=]

[/media]

Thought on this, anyone else think also that this is the one to beat in 2019?

G430 Max 10K Hzrdus RDX Red 60 / Ping G430 Max 5fw KBS TD 70 / Titleist TSi2 4Hy  Tensei CK Pro Orange 80HY 

Ping iBlade 4-PW Modus3 120 / Cleveland RTX2.0 50° DG S200 / Ping Glide3.0 56° DG TI S400 / Ping Glide4.0 60° DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom 7.5 Stability Tour / Titleist ProV1x

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never been a Cobra fan so hard to get too excited.

Me neater, but I have always been a fan of how Cobra drivers sound like, and Rick commenting that this is THE best sounding driver he has ever hit got me really excited.

Seem like the closest competitor to this driver will be the M6, similiar in design and price.

F9 was also the fastest driver Rick has hit out of these 2019 driver, it was shown on ball speed as well. The margins are so small that sound = feel is even more important.

This shows F9 leading the 2019 listings in ball speed, for Rick.

G430 Max 10K Hzrdus RDX Red 60 / Ping G430 Max 5fw KBS TD 70 / Titleist TSi2 4Hy  Tensei CK Pro Orange 80HY 

Ping iBlade 4-PW Modus3 120 / Cleveland RTX2.0 50° DG S200 / Ping Glide3.0 56° DG TI S400 / Ping Glide4.0 60° DG TI S400

I appreciate the comparisons, but they are completely irrelevant. The clubs compared differ greatly in set up (shaft, length, loft). Additionally his performance varies on a daily basis, too. All the ball speeds are within 2 miles per hour. That is not a significant change and could change easily, if retested. I am sure the Cobra is a great driver, but so are the others. The title is clickbait. Not much more.

Seems like Joel Tadman also got some nice performance with the F9, also praising the sound and forgiveness.

[media=]

[/media]

Cobra timed this launch and the dates pretty well, they know they had the tech & performance of the other big companies and are willing to offer it with a lower price. Should translate into good retail success.

...I am sure the Cobra is a great driver, but so are the others...

Sure they are very close to the F9's performance, at a higher price though.

If he redid all the tests and the epic flash subzero would suddenly be number 1 in ballspeed (which is possible, his sample is nowhere near big enough to show any significant statistical evidence) would it be worth the extra 75 bucks to you? The point is, the Cobra is not "faster" (whatever that means) than the new drivers from Callaway, TaylorMade, Mizuno and so on. They are all more or less the same. Cobra offers a very compelling package at a nice price point, I am not debating that. I say it is simply untrue to suggest that the Cobra is "THE" driver of 2019, because some random dude in England got slightly better ball speed in a small data sample.

Never been a Cobra fan so hard to get too excited.

Me neater, but I have always been a fan of how Cobra drivers sound like, and Rick commenting that this is THE best sounding driver he has ever hit got me really excited.

Seem like the closest competitor to this driver will be the M6, similiar in design and price.

F9 was also the fastest driver Rick has hit out of these 2019 driver, it was shown on ball speed as well. The margins are so small that sound = feel is even more important.

This shows F9 leading the 2019 listings in ball speed, for Rick.

Isn't his ball speed faster because his swing speed is faster? Or is this one of them things where club speed is estimated?

..some random dude in England..

Yeah, I think you right, he don't know what he doing, that's obviously how he got almost half a million subscribers. :cheesy:

Never been a huge Cobra fan, at least until my fitter recently let me hit the new F9 Tour 3/4 fairway with HZRDUS Smoke 70g in 6.5. Wow. Was getting a few extra mph of ball speed over the CBX and it was carrying slightly longer than my CBX. The other difference was a lot more forgiveness and ease of hitting off the deck - felt like I was hitting a 4I in terms of how easy it was to hit off the deck. Probably the rails.

This may end up in my bag soon, and I never thought something could knock the CBX out that quickly.

Isn't his ball speed faster because his swing speed is faster? Or is this one of them things where club speed is estimated?

Yeah it seem like he and other reviews can swing the F9 faster then other heads, good aero package and weight balance it seems.

I appreciate the comparisons, but they are completely irrelevant. The clubs compared differ greatly in set up (shaft, length, loft). Additionally his performance varies on a daily basis, too. All the ball speeds are within 2 miles per hour. That is not a significant change and could change easily, if retested. I am sure the Cobra is a great driver, but so are the others. The title is clickbait. Not much more.

Very clickbaity

..some random dude in England..

Yeah, I think you right, he don't know what he doing, that's obviously how he got almost half a million subscribers. :cheesy:

Why are his impressions more valuable than those of other people? Just because he has a bigger following on social media? There are a lot of people on here who’s feedback I value significantly more than that of Mr. Shiels.

The one to beat is the one you test and find fairways with. There is no "one to beat for 2019". The head/shaft combo that works to keep you in play and get you hitting more short irons into greens is the one to beat. I'd take 5-10 yards loss if it means I'm hitting off the fairway rather than out of rough/trees/taking a drop. If that driver happens to be long as well great, if not, I'm taking the accurate one.

I'm taking the accurate one.

Yeah, been doing the same for years now. That's why I personally have mostly ended up with Ping.

If he redid all the tests and the epic flash subzero would suddenly be number 1 in ballspeed (which is possible, his sample is nowhere near big enough to show any significant statistical evidence) would it be worth the extra 75 bucks to you? The point is, the Cobra is not "faster" (whatever that means) than the new drivers from Callaway, TaylorMade, Mizuno and so on. They are all more or less the same. Cobra offers a very compelling package at a nice price point, I am not debating that. I say it is simply untrue to suggest that the Cobra is "THE" driver of 2019, because some random dude in England got slightly better ball speed in a small data sample.

disagree somewhat...we cant say its the one for 2019 for everyone..BUT we can say its the best one for Rick... You do realize the videos are a small sample of his testing .. he isnt only hitting 10 balls with each ...lol

his OPINIONS are based on much testing and i believe are honest. It doesnt tell you whats best for everyone , but his reviews have mirrored my own testing for quite some time ... If he said it sounded bad..it usually does.. If he says it spins too much.. it usually does.. if he says its fade biased.. it almost always is ... etc etc etc... bashing the guys reviews gets old in my opinion ... especially when he has about the most comprehensive reviews online... theres a couple more decent reviewers..But most are guys swinging 90mph in a dark room with vanilla opinions on everything .. if you review everything and never have a product you dont like, or one you really love..Youre lying .. Rick has numerous examples of both

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Never been a huge Cobra fan, at least until my fitter recently let me hit the new F9 Tour 3/4 fairway with HZRDUS Smoke 70g in 6.5. Wow. Was getting a few extra mph of ball speed over the CBX and it was carrying slightly longer than my CBX. The other difference was a lot more forgiveness and ease of hitting off the deck - felt like I was hitting a 4I in terms of how easy it was to hit off the deck. Probably the rails.

This may end up in my bag soon, and I never thought something could knock the CBX out that quickly.

I really was impressed by this as well similar distance to my m2 tour but way less effort to hit pure

disagree somewhat...we cant say its the one for 2019 for everyone..BUT we can say its the best one for Rick... You do realize the videos are a small sample of his testing .. he isnt only hitting 10 balls with each ...lol

his OPINIONS are based on much testing and i believe are honest. It doesnt tell you whats best for everyone , but his reviews have mirrored my own testing for quite some time ... If he said it sounded bad..it usually does.. If he says it spins too much.. it usually does.. if he says its fade biased.. it almost always is ... etc etc etc... bashing the guys reviews gets old in my opinion ... especially when he has about the most comprehensive reviews online... theres a couple more decent reviewers..But most are guys swinging 90mph in a dark room with vanilla opinions on everything .. if you review everything and never have a product you dont like, or one you really love..Youre lying .. Rick has numerous examples of both

I realize that he hits more shots off-camera, but the conditions from day to day still change and so do the clubs. The point I was trying to make is that the numbers are very close together and that there are quite a few variables other than the clubhead in play. You would need a gigantic data set, which realistically only a robot can provide.

I have no issue with his reviews, but I would never base a purchasing decision on whether he got 2mph more ball speed with the cobra over a TS3 or whatever.

Well said. I only have one thing to add. His particular swing doesn’t compare well to mine so I always need to remember that when I watch his reviews. He has a very positive AoA and a very in to out path. I’m a flat to -1 AoA and a hair out to in. I usually play a fairly low 3-5 yard cut.

Well said. I only have one thing to add. His particular swing doesn’t compare well to mine so I always need to remember that when I watch his reviews. He has a very positive AoA and a very in to out path. I’m a flat to -1 AoA and a hair out to in. I usually play a fairly low 3-5 yard cut.

Same reason his iron reviews don't work for me/I can't stand them. He hooks the things and then says they don't spin enough.

Would love to see him rehit the 2016 m2 and g400 max in a test vs the 2019 offerings

Driver: Sim OG 8* (-2g), Diamana ZF 40x

3wood: Sim Ti Rocket 14*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

5wood: Sim Ti @18*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

4i-GW: Ke4 Max (-8g), SMT Bassara 65x +1"

SW: CBX2 52*, Rotex Precision 90g wedge flex

LW: Tour Grind MG 60*

P: 2013 Scotty Cameron Newport Black, Pistolero

Grips: Lamkin Crossline 58r

Ball: TP5X 2019

People shouldn't dig too deeply into this data because it's non-controlled. All the shafts are different... The stock length for F9 is different than M5/M6 and Flash... I'm not sure if every driver was lofted to the exact same loft either, so face angles could have varied. So really this is a test of what driver was best for Rick, in a total bare bones stock set up.

It's fun to look at data, but everybody should get fit. I think though what is the most note worthy is RS' praise of how good the driver felt and sounded. THAT to me, is the money maker. F9 gets 2 yard less carry than Flash?? Woopdie do. Flash sounds like poo. Speaking from experience, the F8 line felt absolutely wonderful and as a casual weekend player, I'd rather love how my driver/wood sounds & feels on each strike, than worry about if I'm absolutely maxing my ball speed.

Plus, Flash seems to get most of its mileage from roll due to low spin. That's just not practical for most of us. Nobody should be gaming an 1800 RPM spinning driver unless you play on bowling alley fairways and you are constantly having your face angle square to path. 1800 rpm will quickly turn from low spin bomb to 40ft high hooks that land you in hazards. Plus you need the ball speed to properly play with that low of spin. It's a sexy flight if done right, but can go wrong really quick. I'd much rather have the 2300 rpm from F9 (and my well struck ball speeds are higher than Rick's).

Rick's videos are very watchable, and I love his enthusiasm. What I take from his F9 video is that I should consider Cobra when looking at new drivers.

TXG's tests are the most informative for me. Give them 3-4 months and they'll have fitting experience with all of the new drivers. Ian Fraser is averse to drawing early conclusions without a cross section of golfers being fitted to a particular club.

I really was impressed by this as well similar distance to my m2 tour but way less effort to hit pure

Great summary - better ball speed/distance/forgiveness with less effort. As I commented to my fitter - it feels like no matter what swing I put on it, the results are good to great. I think they have a winner with the Tour FW - interested to test the Driver (in addition to the Mizuno ST190) as well.

I'm that 90's guy.....hehe and just added the 2012 Razr fit.....composite forged crown , draw bias and MWT...."fits" excuse the pun....my game perfectly and only cost 50 bucks on Ebay.....beat out my fitted M3 and saving me quite a bit....mint condition btw

Back on topic....Rick rules! Lol

I'm a Cobra wood guy. The F9 had the exact same numbers as the F8 for me in the simulator. Not much different than my Fly Z's.

I'm not knocking the F9 series, but instead am telling you all to give it a try because Cobra makes great woods.

Hopefully a whole new setup coming soon!

Ping Anser 2 putter

Cobra has been making great Drivers for years. I think they have been the most overlooked company when it comes to woods. Lot of people don't like the flashy style and I get it, but the product has been great for awhile. I think for this reason, his review title is "the driver to beat in 2019." As posted above, you shouldn't take Rick's reviews as gospel to go buy clubs. Instead, you should take it as "don't rule out the Cobra, it's as good as anything else I've hit this year."

Getting fitted into the correct head/shaft combination is the most important aspect when picking a Driver. One particular head may work for Rick, but not work for you. Everyone's swing is different and is exactly why fittings are so important.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4