Need advice on a challenging pairing tomorrow

Comments

• davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,238 ✭✭
    Krt22 wrote:

Obee wrote:

kozubs wrote:

You got time. Sneak over to his place and sleep with his wife. Get some photos. When he starts the trash talk whip out you phone and show him. That'll throw him off.

I like it. He goes low, you go way, way lower. Nice. LOL
    As terrible as sounds, it can be very effective. In my experience trash talkers like this unravel immediately once you put the heat right back on them. They typically get real quite/short/dejected if you lay it on after they hit a bad shot. The key is to let them go on the offensive first, let them talk the trash for the first few holes, let a bad shot pass, then on mid way through the front 9 drop a bomb.

An equally effective way of getting to a trash talker is to treat him with the absolute maximum of considerate good manners. Congratulate him on good shots, do it to the extreme. Commiserate with him after a poor shot, even more after a bad break. Pump him up, tell him he's playing great today, tell him you hope he can keep it going, be his biggest cheerleader. Lots of these guys thrive on conflict, and just don't know how to deal with real good sportsmanship.
  • jmkenn0jmkenn0 Members Posts: 699 ✭✭
    He works at the same company? That puts a major rub in it. Thankfully I've never experienced that on the golf course with someone I didn't really know, but you can always pull out the greatest movie line ever, from Roadhouse, "I used to f*** guys like you in prison." How did it go?
  • BNGLBNGL Members Posts: 1,680 ✭✭
    Truthfully...you’re already done if your worked up about it now.

But do your thing, if you’re a regular tournament player, just do your thing and the game will follow
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,681 ✭✭
    davep043 wrote:

Krt22 wrote:

Obee wrote:

kozubs wrote:

You got time. Sneak over to his place and sleep with his wife. Get some photos. When he starts the trash talk whip out you phone and show him. That'll throw him off.

I like it. He goes low, you go way, way lower. Nice. LOL
    As terrible as sounds, it can be very effective. In my experience trash talkers like this unravel immediately once you put the heat right back on them. They typically get real quite/short/dejected if you lay it on after they hit a bad shot. The key is to let them go on the offensive first, let them talk the trash for the first few holes, let a bad shot pass, then on mid way through the front 9 drop a bomb.

An equally effective way of getting to a trash talker is to treat him with the absolute maximum of considerate good manners. Congratulate him on good shots, do it to the extreme. Commiserate with him after a poor shot, even more after a bad break. Pump him up, tell him he's playing great today, tell him you hope he can keep it going, be his biggest cheerleader. Lots of these guys thrive on conflict, and just don't know how to deal with real good sportsmanship.

That is an option, kill em with kindness does work in certain situations. Most (IMO) are simply bullies. All bullies typically suffer from some sort of insecurity, so if you can exploit that, you can get them to unravel

There is also the middle ground passive aggressive approach

"Oh..looks like I just got inside you there"

"Sorry man, looks like you are still out"

"Oh man, that would have been a great shot if you didn't catch it a tad heavy"

Or after you pipe one down the middle or hit an otherwise great shot

"man..just missed that one"
  • Ri_RedneckRi_Redneck Leather for Life!! Members Posts: 5,479 ✭✭
    Insist on driving and then scare the crap out of him. Do something like step out of the cart when you start down a big hill.

BT
    Bag 1
    F7 9.5* - Aldila Copperhead 70TX @ 44.5
    King LTD Blk 14.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43
    King LTD Blk 19* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5
    Mizuno MP15 4-pw - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
    Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge

Bag 2
    Mizuno ST180 9.5* - Diamana Kai'Li 70 X
    Mizuno GPX850 14.5* - Motore Speeder TS 7.3 S
    Mizuno GPX850 20* - Motore Speeder TS 8.3
    Mizuno MP25 4-pw - Recoil Proto 125 F4
    Mizuno MP-T5 Satin 52, 56, & 60 TT Wedge
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 744 ✭✭
    Getitdaily nailed this. Give the guy his own medicine but make sure to throw in stuff like “whoa, was that a reverse pivot we saw there?”, or “wow, you fatted that one...I noticed your backswing was awfully steep”. That will get him good!
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,831 ClubWRX
    Got here way too late to offer any advice but anxious to read the OP's recap.

I'd say, in general. lots of stuff sounds good if you can pull it off, the problem is the more we try and do or say stuff that is out of character (for most of us) the more lame it seems.

Should be a good test for you of whether, having experienced it before, you've found a way within yourself to handle it and if so, look out - big thing to get past and opens the door for getting past other nonsense in the future.
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members Posts: 3,849 ✭✭
    edited Jan 10, 2019 9:07pm #39
    I think the only reasonable answer is be yourself. Doing anything else will probably flood your body with cortisol and an assortment of other neurotransmitters that aren’t helpful for your golf game. You’ve got to do whatever you need to do so that when you’re standing over your ball, you’re just doing your preshot routine and thinking target.

That or take a literal dump on his golf ball. Just go primal on him. The second he opens his mouth for the first time, just scream as loud as you can. Jump out of the golf cart and try to push it over. Grab a couple of his golf balls and stick them down your pants. Take off all your clothes and jump in a pond. Take a golf pencil, stick it in your mouth, chew it into pieces, and spit it in his face. And if at any point you start bleeding from anywhere, rub it on your face. That part is crucial.

Hope this helps.
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
  • MichaelJScottMichaelJScott SchruteFarms Members Posts: 284 ✭✭
    I would give it right back to him. Just over compliment him and tell him all day that he's the greatest golfer to ever play the game. Be super sarcastic with him and even if he says something that gets do you don't let him see that it bothers you because he will feed off it. tell him great shot on every shot but the good ones. When he hits a bunker tell him how shocked you are that it actually landed in the bunker. If you can walk from your second shot to the green with your putter so he has to drive the cart up to the green all day. That way you try to avoid him a little bit too.
  • MichaelJScottMichaelJScott SchruteFarms Members Posts: 284 ✭✭
    Or at the first water hazard just take his bag off the cart and huck it into the water. This is the last resort.
  • BaitkillerBaitkiller Members Posts: 1,716 ✭✭
    edited Jan 10, 2019 10:20pm #42
    Punch him in the mouth. KAPOW!

It worked on me..im the nicest guy ever now.
    Turn over damnit!
    Krank 9* Formula 5 UST Tour
    Adams 15* wasabi
    XXIO pro 5
    Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
    Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
    Betti-1
    K-sig
  • moehoganmoehogan Members Posts: 1,049 ✭✭

Or at the first water hazard just take his bag off the cart and huck it into the water. This is the last resort.

Or just ask him the question that you posed to Toby!

[media=]
  • 2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 5,010 ✭✭
    edited Jan 12, 2019 1:10pm #44

Obee wrote:

What kind of "trash talk"?

Just annoying stuff.

"**** I thought you were good."

"You Southern boys probably should leave golf to men"

"That would have been a great shot if you weren't so bad"

Puerile stuff, honestly lol

This kind of sounds like me. At the risk of getting flamed by the board, here is the confessions of a guy who jokes around during rounds....

I joke around allot during some rounds and allot is dry and sarcastic (just the way my sense of humour is). I THINK I have good judgment on when and who I can joke around with like this. But of course at times I cross the line.

Before someone asks, yes I will joke around during competitive rounds with the correct paring. I have played in some very competitive matches and events with 'relaxed' pairings where we shot lights out. There are some un-written rules about when to joke and when not during events. (ie between holes is okay, but not before a shot)

So I can put myself in the place of the guy you are playing against. We know each other already, and maybe we share a laugh at work. My intention is not to get in your head, but rather keep the round relaxed. As I mean no harm if you give me a signal that you don't enjoy my witty banter I will stop right away. Even better if you just said something to me nicely before we started I am going to 100% respect your request for me not to joke around at all or even talk if that is what you need. Likewise if you lean in and start joking around yourself you are going to encourage me to be even more talkative.

Something I keep in mind is one guys 'mean-nothing' event is another guys serous competition. I play 140 rounds a year and around 50 are competitive, but my be only 10 do I really care about.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • PJ72PJ72 Members Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    edited Jan 11, 2019 5:34am #45

Hey fam,

I'm in a tournament tomorrow, and my pairing all day he's going to be with a guy who loves to trash talk. In our tradition where I'm from, there's just not a lot of that, and the last time we played together it was unexpected and it, while within the rules, was just annoying as **** and was unexpected so I got into my head.

Well, here we go again and tomorrow is a somewhat big day, and my pairing is again with this guy who is going to be jawing the entire time. Do any of you out there have any advice on how to mentally prepare before around for this type of eventuality? I'm pretty levelheaded and don't get hot, but it was so unexpected last time that it threw me off.

Looking for any advice on how to deal with a more vocal adversary.

Report him to your committee.

Or even better, loosen his strap on the back of cart, then drive by a lake and flip his clubs into it.
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,440 ✭✭
    So, tournament round was yesterday and OP has disappeared. I'm guessing OP floundered, let the guy get to him, and is embarrassed to report back...
  • vitalesanvitalesan Members Posts: 34
    Whenever he does something bad, relate it back to how he can’t please his wife. When you do something good, relate it to how you please his wife.

If he’s playing well, complement him on his swing. Tell him:

He’s getting more distance since taking it away flat. His hands are turning over nicely through the impact zone. His getting more distance since letting his club go way past parallel. His hips are really creating a lot of torque when he releases them early.... etc. anything that throws his timing out.

You got this!

• bladehunterbladehunter Rain rain go the hell away ! south carolinaMembers Posts: 26,598 ✭✭
    edited Jan 11, 2019 8:17am #48
    Baitkiller wrote:

Punch him in the mouth. KAPOW!

It worked on me..im the nicest guy ever now.

Throat. Always the throat. Lol.

Late to the party. But the most effective method is this.

Ignore him. Don’t acknowledge any comment. Good or bad. If he’s driving. Walk. If he’s walking. Walk opposite side. Have conversations with yourself as your caddie. Like he’s not there. You can talk yourself into the tunnel , once you’re there and drop s couple approaches close , start the club twirls ..... key after that is making the putt. 2 good putts and ignoring him and he’ll blow a gasket. Once you’re 4 up or so smile.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21 ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-pw  Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • jasonfish11jasonfish11 Members Posts: 429 ✭✭
    edited Jan 11, 2019 9:21am #49
    texcrom wrote:

I live in Franklin, so I’m guessing this guy is from another part of the country, as we typically have gentlemen golfers in Middle Tennessee.

I guess the guys I played with in Mt Juliet were different. Those comment above would just be laughed at with how nice you are being to someone.

We would say things right before someone tees of like "hey Matt, I was just thinking you don't have any real friends. I mean if you got murdered I think we would all be likely suspects...Oh I press, don't miss the fairway."

That being said we only did this to each other and we were all friends, we never would do this to a random guy. To random people we are all super respectful and we realize this is kind of our thing.

To random people we'll berate ourselves but never them. Example if I'm out playing with a random and I hit a shot fat I'm very likely to say "Fu$%ing Rosanne Barr" (ie fat and ugly). Then I'll look at the other guy and say "sorry I am on ambien."
  • rangersgoalierangersgoalie Members Posts: 1,805 ✭✭
    edited Jan 11, 2019 2:00pm #50
    Matt J wrote:

It makes a lot of sense to organize something for the guys who don't Monday into the web.com events.

The whole thing is a hustle. I wish, for the players like Matt Hanson, that the PGA and Web would get involved and bring some real organization to some of the regional tours.

Obee wrote:

Just annoying stuff.

“**** I thought you were good.”

“You Southern boys probably should leave golf to men”

“That would have been a great shot if you weren’t so bad”

I’d basically laugh and say Inalways liked those jokes in middle school. Brings back memories

Oh, and I’d bring an extra wedge and slip it in his bag so he has too many clubs
  • ObeeObee ClubWRX Posts: 3,726 ClubWRX

Matt J wrote:

It makes a lot of sense to organize something for the guys who don't Monday into the web.com events.

The whole thing is a hustle. I wish, for the players like Matt Hanson, that the PGA and Web would get involved and bring some real organization to some of the regional tours.

Obee wrote:

Just annoying stuff.

"**** I thought you were good."

"You Southern boys probably should leave golf to men"

"That would have been a great shot if you weren't so bad"

I'd basically laugh and say Inalways liked those jokes in middle school. Brings back memories

Oh, and I'd bring an extra wedge and slip it in his bag so he has too many clubs

LOVE the "extra club." LOL
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • Les StrokesLes Strokes Members Posts: 406 ✭✭
    A small guy leaves himself wide open to insults, dish it. " I think I saw that shirt in the children's section at WalMart, they have your size!". Of course you can go even lower. But like one poster said, have fun. Exercise your inner Don Rickles.
    edited Jan 11, 2019 3:50pm #53

A small guy leaves himself wide open to insults, dish it. " I think I saw that shirt in the children's section at WalMart, they have your size!". Of course you can go even lower. But like one poster said, have fun. Exercise your inner Don Rickles.

You sound like the tall morons who occasionally try to insult me in an attempt to make themselves feel better after being thoroughly out driven and whipped by someone who’s 5’6. Don’t be the guy who tries to make fun of the short guy. That probably means you’re the fat guy with very little education.

Trash talking is for competitors of near equal skill level. Don’t even try talking trash with someone who is better than you because you’ll always look like an idiot.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,474 ClubWRX
    edited Jan 11, 2019 4:02pm #54
    Since we haven't heard from the OP on what really happened, it's time for us to create a story...here goes...

"I was striping the ball on the range and when we got to the first tee, I pulled driver and proceeded to ______________________________________"
  • CHuntsmanCHuntsman Members Posts: 823 ✭✭
    DavePelz4 wrote:

Since we haven't heard from the OP on what really happened, it's time for us to create a story...here goes...

"I was striping the ball on the range and when we got to the first tee, I pulled driver and proceeded to ______________________________________"

Wrap it around his neck!"
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,474 ClubWRX
    CHuntsman wrote:

DavePelz4 wrote:

Wrap it around his neck!"

After the police investigation cleared me with probably cause and we continued the round, I proceeded to____________________________________________________"
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,681 ✭✭

You sound like the tall morons who occasionally try to insult me in an attempt to make themselves feel better after being thoroughly out driven and whipped by someone who's 5'6. Don't be the guy who tries to make fun of the short guy. That probably means you're the fat guy with very little education.

Trash talking is for competitors of near equal skill level. Don't even try talking trash with someone who is better than you because you'll always look like an idiot.

that-escalated-quickly-300x300.jpg
  • BaitkillerBaitkiller Members Posts: 1,716 ✭✭
    An oldie but effective. Ask him he breaths in or out on his backswing.
    Turn over damnit!
    Krank 9* Formula 5 UST Tour
    Adams 15* wasabi
    XXIO pro 5
    Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
    Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
    Betti-1
    K-sig
  • UncleJohn’sBandUncleJohn’sBand Members Posts: 982 ✭✭
    edited Jan 11, 2019 7:19pm #59
    Krt22 wrote:

You sound like the tall morons who occasionally try to insult me in an attempt to make themselves feel better after being thoroughly out driven and whipped by someone who's 5'6. Don't be the guy who tries to make fun of the short guy. That probably means you're the fat guy with very little education.

Trash talking is for competitors of near equal skill level. Don't even try talking trash with someone who is better than you because you'll always look like an idiot.

****, calm down Napoleon
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Titleist 915 D3 Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
    Titleist 910 F Rombax W
    Titleist 913hd Matrix Altus
    Titleist 714 CB/MB 4-Pw PjX 6.5
    Tour issue 52, 56 60 Vokey 200 SM4
    Odyssey Versa no. 7
    Krt22 wrote:

I relate to Anchorman. The script is like pages ripped from my journal.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
  • eebombeebomb Members Posts: 560 ✭✭
    Stop being a mental midget and deal with it. Let it motivate you to play better

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file