Chamblee: Every player should leave flagstick in

RMGC_NV

Ahhh,, the good ole USGA...

Very well reasoned and thought out, and completely clear. How could anyone NOT change their mind based on this?

Or the time they declared singles couldn't post rounds. Coincidentally eliminating most walkers from posting half their rounds. Hmmm. $ is a big part of the USga agenda.

To call singles dishonest for no reason and allow putting with the pin in and free replacement of any ball you move " accidentally " just slaps people in the face if you're trying to use logic.

The USga deserves every ounce they get good or bad.

So singles that couldn't post their rounds eliminated WALKERS from posting rounds ? LOL

What are the 3 LARGEST complaints about golf ?

Right. Cost, slow play (and the time it takes in general) and SANDBAGGING.

So singles can't post their rounds bothers you why again ? LOL

A cornerstone of handicapping is "peer review". Of which, BTW, there is NONE when someone plays alone (not that there would be much if he was playing with strangers,,,,, or even with friends for that matter.

But that's a different story and one that hopefully will be addressed by the WW handicapping changes for NEXT year.,,,,,,,

Define "irony". Someone defending a single's ability to post scores for handicaps by the guy who is probably the most vociferous on the site about the sandbaggers at HIS club.

Talk about irony. :taunt:

Most baggers travel in packs. It's the regular 4 somes that breed this. Takes playing partners who don't say anything to get it done. Singles are opposite if anything. Do overs etc equal a vanity cap. Not a bagger.

Think about it. If you wanted to cheat as a single. Just enter fake scores . No need to play. Sandbaggers arent erased now that singles can't post. So the point doesn't hold water.

You have that half-right:

Sandbaggers usually do have a regular "group" where sandbagging is just part of the deal. They're ALL sandbaggers.

However, one of the ways they sandbag is that they go and play "late afternoon" rounds alone (or sometimes with the wife) and miraculously always shoot well above their average score. Believe me, I was handicap chairman for a minute. It's rampant....

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

probably true too... But still... has the rule effected sandbagging ? no.... so no real point in my opinion ... i have 3 solo 9s this week that wold lower my handicap because it would kick off 2 terrible T scores i hanging from the mid summer... but cant post them .

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

probably true too... But still... has the rule effected sandbagging ? no.... so no real point in my opinion ... i have 3 solo 9s this week that wold lower my handicap because it would kick off 2 terrible T scores i hanging from the mid summer... but cant post them .

I would actually say that it will make it a bit harder on sandbaggers. If you take away one of their avenues for 'bagging, that's a good thing.

The reality, though, is that most clubs have no way of policing whether or not you are posting rounds you shouldn't, so it won't have much affect. And with the ability to post online, it's a losing battle to try to police sandbaggers.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

I would actually say that it will make it a bit harder on sandbaggers. If you take away one of their avenues for 'bagging, that's a good thing.

The reality, though, is that most clubs have no way of policing whether or not you are posting rounds you shouldn't, so it won't have much affect. And with the ability to post online, it's a losing battle to try to police sandbaggers.

Agree there. Allowing self posting anywhere is the root. issue.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

probably true too... But still... has the rule effected sandbagging ? no....

Seriously my brother, how could you possibly KNOW that ?!?!?!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I absolutely LOVE the sound of a ball clinking around in the cup after it's been holed. I absolutely HATE the sound of a ball clanking off a flagstick, make or miss. The visual doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would but I don't think I will ever get used to the sound. Like most things in life, the hole is better naked.

Titleist TSR3 10° Autoflex 505x

Titleist TSR3 15° Ventus Red 7s

Callaway UW 19° Ventus Red 7s

PXG 0311 Gen3 4-5p, 6-9t, PWst Oban CT-115s 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50° Oban CT-115s

Vokey 56°s Raw, 60°t Raw Project X LZ 6.0

Byron Morgan DH89x / 009 

Sandbaggers can make up a score and post it online. Showing up to the course is optional. Sandbagging is rampant at my club and the owners stated, "If you can't beat them, join them." It's seriously a wink wink, nudge nudge situation.

Hopefully that will stop, or at least be slowed down a bit next Jan 1 with the beginning of the new World Handicapping System. ;)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

probably true too... But still... has the rule effected sandbagging ? no....

Seriously my brother, how could you possibly KNOW that ?!?!?!

Well. I get what you’re saying.

But here’s how I look at it. I don’t “ know “ anything except what I see myself. I myself have met a few more this summer , and the same old ones are still doing it. Can’t see any decline.

There’s really no way to know . Some clubs are good and people think sandbagging is rare. A lot of clubs let it go on to keep membership majority happy , and the honest players think everyone is a bagger. In each world both are true.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Sandbaggers can make up a score and post it online. Showing up to the course is optional. Sandbagging is rampant at my club and the owners stated, "If you can't beat them, join them." It's seriously a wink wink, nudge nudge situation.

Hopefully that will stop, or at least be slowed down a bit next Jan 1 with the beginning of the new World Handicapping System. ;)

I'm frustrated with it and it has really shown up in my scores. I've gone for a 3 to a 13. ;)

I absolutely LOVE the sound of a ball clinking around in the cup after it's been holed. I absolutely HATE the sound of a ball clanking off a flagstick, make or miss. The visual doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would but I don't think I will ever get used to the sound. Like most things in life, the hole is better naked.

Fox has been putting microphones in the cups during the US Open to capture the sound of the ball falling in and blasting it through the audio (although I secretly suspect that the sounds are artificial and triggered by the push of a button. But I'm a conspiracy theorist). It's very "video game" sounding on the broadcast and each one sounds suspiciously the same. So we'll see what it sounds like this year at Pebble when someone holes one with the flag in. The Fox producers will now need two buttons -- a flag in and a flag out -- to make their little sound effects lol.

I've been playing with the flag in for every casual round after work due to laziness and continue to plan on doing so now in my money/official rounds. The main thing I found was there putts that used to dip in and roll out no longer do so, they get wedged and your putt is in. The occasional rocket putt from far away helps to, of course when it doesn't hit the pin and bounce out. The only time I found it distracting was when it was very windy and it was moving more than usual in my peripheral vision. Other than that, it is a big advantage in my opinion but I don't really see the time saver considering it takes a total of 10 seconds to pull it and put it back in.

Most of the statistics generated that would be important would largely be dependant on the particular golfer. Really, anything we see statistically is just an indication of whether or not you should test the method yourself.

I know that I always leave the pin in the hole. I have for the last few months. I have no concern about deflection because my speed control is quite good. As others have said above, I have holed more putts mainly because of that burn the edge and out putt which now more often than not gets caught by the flag and now counts as a made putt.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

First round today with the new rules. We played with the flag IN on pretty much all first putts outside 30 feet. It absolutely sped play up. By how much, I don't know. But there were at least 6 or 7 times during our round where I was the first to reach a green, no one was there yet to take the flag, and I putted. It was pretty great, actually. Then, when we were all closer to the hole, we took it out.

My mate and I have been doing that for years. Usually we arrive at the green together but if one of us has to walk around to get to their ball the other will often putt with the flag in. I have also left the flag in when playing solo for years out of sheer laziness.

The only affect I've noticed is that on excessive overshoots hitting the pin will typically leave the ball a lot closer to the hole. But I'm a dropper and am far more likely to leave the ball short so that benefit doesn't help me much. Overall I don't think pin in or out makes any difference to me so I'll do whatever is most convenient.

The first question I would have has to do with having less foot traffic around the hole. If you have one less person walking to the hole to pull the flag out per group doesn't that lesson the amount of deformation around the hole. If there is 50 groups that come through a day that is 50 less sets of feet tracking across the green. Maybe it makes a difference maybe it doesn't. I think of the greens are wet and soft it might make a difference. Plus the acutual ack of pulling the the pin when it doesn't want to slide out. I seen guys jerk the pin hard enough to make me worry the cup would lip up.

Second, can leaving the pin in be used as a visual aid, especially for lag putting. Any visual reference helps me. Instead of putting at a 3" inch hole 60' away, you have a pin to help.

My 2 round test tells me to leave it in. It changes the perspective and you definitely do hit the putts firmer and if anything if changes the mindset of the putt. One of my good friends who struggles with the yips seemed to putt a lot more firm and confident with it in. We play a side game that any putt made outside the length of the flag for par or better is $10 from each player. I made 5 last round

My 2 round test tells me to leave it in. It changes the perspective and you definitely do hit the putts firmer and if anything if changes the mindset of the putt. One of my good friends who struggles with the yips seemed to putt a lot more firm and confident with it in. We play a side game that any putt made outside the length of the flag for par or better is $10 from each player. I made 5 last round

So you took the flag out to measure it? Kidding!

Anyway had my first 2019 round, and most of the time left it in. It's just a lot of asking do you want it in or out. I prefer it in, just a bit awkward on short putts the flag feels like it's in my face.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

I play alone 99% of the time. I have always left the flag in as it always seemed pointless to remove it because it simply takes longer and lengthens a round. The 1% of the time I play with somebody else and they pull the flag it always bugged me because I was so used to putting with the flag in. It was always a rule I chose not to follow because it seemed pointless to remove the flag. Now I don't have to be a scofflaw anymore for not removing it. Feels good knowing I'll be a law-abiding golfer again.

Titleist TSR3 Driver
Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 2
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 3i

Mizuno Pro 243 4i-PW
Mizuno T22 48*, 54*, 60*
Byron Morgan 615

Callaway Chrome Tour

I've read many of the posts in the thread but not all so this may have already been mentioned...

I play nearly all of my golf on public/municipal courses. Some have much better hole conditions than others. At those "others" many flag sticks have quite a significant lean while in the hole. I do plan to leave the flag stick in more times than not. However, if that lean cannot be corrected before I putt I will be taking the flag stick out. Especially on windy days where is moving back n forth.

Oh, with the flag stick in I like that can putt more aggressively. On short putts, anything under 10 foot, I'll just aim at the stick & hit the putt more firmly than I would have without it.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Current Bag:[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Titleist TS3 9.5 (Project X, EvenFlow White, 65 - S)[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Titleist TS3 15 deg. (Project X, EvenFlow White, 75 - S)[/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]Mizuno MP18 MB 7i, 8i, 9i & PW (KBS C-TAPER-S)[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Mizuno MP18- SC 4i,5i & 6i [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2](KBS C-TAPER-S)[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Mizuno MP18-Fli Hi 3i [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2](KBS C-TAPER-S)[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Mizuno S5 52 (Dynamic Gold Wedge)[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Mizuno T7 56 & 60 (Dynamic Gold Wedge)[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Scotty Cameron Select Squareback[/size][/font][/color]

Take it as you will

If not allowed to post this link, please remove mods.

Here is a screen shot of the results if link is removed or you can't view it:

DSZebPAl.png

I won't be taking it as gospel, but I'm going to try leaving the pin in this year. The evidence seems to point that it will at least help, and should almost never hurt.

The last point you have crossed out above--the flagstick offers an aid - it gives the player yet another point or two at which to aim--would be my #1 motivating factor in doing this. I find that on the practice putting green my make % is significantly higher on shorter putts when I'm too lazy to take the flag out, and I attribute that largely to having a better more precise aiming point. That said I have no intention of being the annoying guy in the group who always asks for the flag to be put back in, but if the group I was playing in wanted to leave it in all the time I'm more than OK with that.

U agree it gives a precise aim point an I make way more

I've read many of the posts in the thread but not all so this may have already been mentioned...

I play nearly all of my golf on public/municipal courses. Some have much better hole conditions than others. At those "others" many flag sticks have quite a significant lean while in the hole. I do plan to leave the flag stick in more times than not. However, if that lean cannot be corrected before I putt I will be taking the flag stick out. Especially on windy days where is moving back n forth.

Oh, with the flag stick in I like that can putt more aggressively. On short putts, anything under 10 foot, I'll just aim at the stick & hit the putt more firmly than I would have without it.

You make a good point. At my local goat track, the pins all have a big lean thanks to a storm we had a few weeks ago. The part of the cup where the pins go in were stretched out and I'm sure they'll remain that way until they change them (which could be years.)

When interviewed yesterday after his round on the ET Lee Westwood make an interesting point when asked about putting with the flag in. He said he will use it as a depth perception aid on long putts but otherwise its as before. He pointed out players remove the flag for a short-range "makable" chip so why now start putting with the flag in. I see his logic but I also note the data from the experiments.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

I feel like as an aim point it will be good, but I will lose touch/sensation for proper make speeds at shorter lengths. The less capable I am of dying the ball into the hole at proper speed, the tougher putting on break near the hole will be. Not only that, you've gotta hit the hole for this data to work. Would you rather hit the hole for guaranteed make, running the chance for a 9' comebacker, or try for the hole and leave yourself a makeable second?

I'd also like to see data for green speeds that stimp like 8' for those runout footages, the ball's gonna be going a lot faster nearer the hole. On slow greens you'd have to be a clown to run the ball 9' by. Pin in on slow greens might be a hindrance. Long range yes, short range rely on putting skill, not ram-jam tactics.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

it may be different here in the UK but the general view seems to be that if u would have had the pin attended then we can just leave it in, same for the times when its 50/50 between leaving it in and having it out, now its mostly just left in. but from what I've seen most people still pull it out same as they would have done before.

with the new handicap system and cheating or sandbagging, in the uk only at the moment only competition scores can qualify for handicapping however this is due to change with the new world handicap system so I can see this kind of thing becoming more prevalent, compared to now where it is very difficult to sandbag because on the present system you have to throw away 20 winning chances for every one chance you can gain from it.

Driver Taylormade STEALTH+ HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 70g 

3W : Taylormade STEALTH HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g

5W : Taylormade STEALTH HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g

2i : Taylormade P790 HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 100g

4i-6i : Titleist 620 CB Project X 6.0

7i-PW : Titleist 620 MB Project X 6.0

52*, 56*, 60* : Titleist Vokey SM7 F,S,M Grinds

Putter : Scotty Special Select Newport