Equipment prices are insane this year!

bogeypro

For me, iron and driver prices are reasonable but there were a couple of anomalies I know were really priced higher than average.

The Mizuno 300s (the one that Vijay won his first Masters with) was priced at $1000 in 2000 and I vivdly remember the R7 Superquad (All Black First Edition) was $700 when it first came out. That club was so special I remember it was displayed in its own glass display case at my local Golftown.

Thank God for Craigslist, Ebay and BST since I have both of those clubs used at a price that I can afford. My 300s is in my basement and my All Black First Edition Superquad is now my gamer.

I think there is no reason that newcomers to this game that the price of golf clubs should discourage them from playing since club technology has pretty much plateaued for at least a decade and one can get a decent set of used tour proven USGA conforming clubs for only a few hundred dollars.

Never in my lifetime has golf equipment have become more affordable.

As a former 300s owner, I can tell you that this driver did not sell for $1000 new, But what a local brick and mortar golf shop

Does with pricing after VJ won with it, who knows.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

For me, iron and driver prices are reasonable but there were a couple of anomalies I know were really priced higher than average.

The Mizuno 300s (the one that Vijay won his first Masters with) was priced at $1000 in 2000 and I vivdly remember the R7 Superquad (All Black First Edition) was $700 when it first came out. That club was so special I remember it was displayed in its own glass display case at my local Golftown.

Thank God for Craigslist, Ebay and BST since I have both of those clubs used at a price that I can afford. My 300s is in my basement and my All Black First Edition Superquad is now my gamer.

I think there is no reason that newcomers to this game that the price of golf clubs should discourage them from playing since club technology has pretty much plateaued for at least a decade and one can get a decent set of used tour proven USGA conforming clubs for only a few hundred dollars.

As a former 300s owner, I can tell you that this driver did not sell for $1000 new, But what a local brick and mortar golf shop

Poster is in Canada, which has significantly higher retail prices than the States.

Always been that way unfortunately. Heck right now a 4-PW set of i210s we can get down here for $875 USD costs $1250 CAD.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

People talk about the prices of golf equipment being somewhat equal 20 years ago when you adjust for inflation. I think the big difference was the game was growing and companies were chasing those dollars. The number of golfers has been in decline for awhile. It seems like a lot several companies have cut back their products or jumped out of the game entirely.

It's definitely changed my golf buying habits. I still buy drivers new, that's just me. I tend to keep irons for a long time. And when I buy a set, it's usually a closeout model that's on sale. I bought a brand new set of JPX EZ Forged irons for $300 when the new models were out. I've got my eye on a set of Srixon 565s now that you can get a new set fairly cheap.

Golf companies might sell less now than 20 years ago, but if they can sell them for a little more money, it equals out. With the amount of technology and materials these companies are putting into clubs just to chase new customers or repeat customers, I could see the prices go higher (not that I want them to). Additionally, most people (at least on WRX) want more custom shaft options. So we are getting a better product and more options than we were before.

I didn't read all of the responses, but I also think it makes a difference if you are the kind of golfer that buys new and plays it for several seasons or if you tinker every year. I'm sort of both. I don't mind paying $1200 - $1400 for a set of irons because I know i'll play them for 4-6 years, but with the rate I change fairway woods there is no way i'd buy new!

$700 for new drivers here in Canada, plus 13% taxes=$791!?!? Apex/Pros coming in at $1,800?! Going to be an interesting yr. for sales!? :to_become_senile:

Yeah the Epic Flash cracked the 700$ barrier. Ping and others have wedges over 200$

It's nuts

You just have to buy the stuff that isn't too bad. Cobra and srixon for example aren't crazy. Cobra driver is like 550$ and new forged irons are < 1500

Brand loyalty will cost you.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

R&D ain't cheap...be patient as actual selling prices will likely be lower, or go with last year's model, which can be found discounted fairly deeply.

One of main reasons I quit HOing clubs, going on two years now as reformed.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

Latest purchase via Play It Again Sports, new Nike Vapor Fly 3 wood, w/real Blueboard, w/headcover, $60.00. Loved that fairway when it was introduced a few years back at about $250. New putters prices also have become ridiculous of late. Every manufacture has become a Scotty clone, at least in price. Being said, my gamer is a Taylor Made Smoke from a few years back. Just works for me better than anything I have used in years. Just found a new, in plastic duplicate on line for $25. No need to buy new, save the $ for a few more rounds.

I tend to buy used clubs to try them and then when I find something I really like I’ll buy it new, especially irons and wedges. Just something comforting knowing that you are the first and only one to hit a club.

I also think the OEM’s have to make up for the business they are losing to used/internet. I know people always complain about marketing but it is a beautiful art IMO.

Thank You PXG as I saw this coming. Maybe it's time for a price discount on the Gen 2's.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

No different than any other luxury goods product: BMW, Armani, Rolex, nice wine, iPhones. There are almost always very good, extremely serviceable products that fulfill the function at a fraction of the cost (e.g you can even buy a BMW used, too, if only that brand will meet your needs.) Golf clubs are no different, except that we here at WRX Equipment try to dissect the functional performance differences between clubs when in reality, those differences not there in any truly meaningful way. At least with cars, nobody would argue that a Toyota Corolla has similar performance to a Porsche 911. Instead, we're talking differences more akin to a blue Ford pickup vs a silver Chevy pickup. (I grew up in Detroit, so I know what it means to pit Ford v. Chevy... ) :lol:

Luxury goods cost $$$, almost by definition.

I used to think that $400 was a good price for drivers because of "all the advancements in technology" and the ability to adjust settings on a driver that it wasn't needed to consistently upgrade to the newer model. Prices just seem to keep going up and that leaves the consumer with zero incentive to want to always upgrade...at this rate, I think I will just buy irons/wedges new and try and get into the BST market to fill out the top of my bag, especially with all the options in the market nowadays.

Driver: Titleist TSI3 10 Deg - Tensei AV Raw White 65

Fairway Wood: Titliest TSI2 15 Deg - Tensei AV Raw White 65
Hybrid: Titleist TSI2 18 Deg - Tensei AV Raw Blue Hybrid 65
Irons: PXG Gen4 0311 P 4-GW - KBS Tour 120
Wedges: Vokey SM9, 54 & 60 - AMT Red 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 / Never Compromise Dinero Prototype 

Ball: Srixon ZStar Diamond / Chrome Soft X

I know we always complain about prices, but everything is really humping up this year. Irons in the $1300-1400 range. Drivers finally cracked $500.

Drivers have been $500+ previously. In 2003 the R510TP was priced at retail at $599.99 and higher. Inflation adjusted over $800 in current day money.

Perhaps a history lesson from 1996 needs revisiting.

https://www.si.com/v...surely-costlier

This barrier, however, was broken quietly, indoors and without warning, when

Ram Golf president Jim Hansberger--wearing a coat and tie instead

of the traditional fireproof jumpsuit--introduced the Ram FX

Ti-Forged oversize titanium driver. Suggested retail price: $1,000.

Or it doesn't, depending on whom you talk to. For more than a

year Titleist and MacGregor have been selling oversize titanium

drivers for less than $300--or trying to, anyway. "They haven't

sold any," says Callaway Golf CEO Ely Callaway, smiling broadly.

"Ask any retailer." (We did. He's right.) Callaway, on the other

hand, has shipped 300,000 of its Great Big Bertha titanium

drivers, which retail for a robust $500. Industry giant Cobra,

seeking to establish itself in metal woods, has trumped Callaway

by pricing its King Cobra Ti (pronounced tee-eye) driver at a

mere $367, causing industry experts to conclude that Callaway

either will lower its price (it'll have to, if everybody follows

Cobra's lead) or thumb its nose at the competition (Callaway is

arrogant enough to keep the price up, no matter what others

charge). At Founders Club, whose Judge titanium driver sells for

$475, metal woods pioneer and company founder Gary Adams

concedes, "Those people who drive a Mercedes will want to own a

titanium driver."

When you adjust for inflation, irons today are cheaper than irons some 50 years ago. A set of MacGregor VIP irons in the 60s would be over $1,600 today.

A set of Ping ISI were $699 in 1996. Thats about $1140 today. Seems fairly close to the cost for a set of iBlades today?

A lot of folks complain loudly about TM and their product cycles, but they can claim considerable responsibility for saving us from Callaway pricing. Imagine paying $800 for a driver these days, with a crappy stock shaft.

Many of the folks that complain loudly about TM and their product cycles completely ignore the fact that Callaway was doing the same thing if not putting out more product than TM.

As a General Motors exec once said, "Sell the sizzle, not the steak . . . ".

Ignore the marketing fluff, keep the clubs you're happy with or make prudent buying decisions.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

Can't believe no one has mentioned how graphite shafts have risen up in price. When I started golf in 2000, you can get a tour quality aftermarket shaft for $75 at most (usually $40-60) from your local clubmaker (like a EI-70, Prolite, or the original Proforce). They have risen up steadily since then.

Nowadays, shaft manufacturers are taking advantage of the shaftoids insatiable hunger for a few extra yards on their drives by charging them hundreds of dollars more. A tour quality shaft is at least $300 these days.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

It’s already been posted, but worth repeating. Clubs are actually less expensive today than they should be if you adjust for inflation from many years ago.

The great big Bertha titanium was $500 in 1995. Adjusted for inflation that’s $831 dollars today.

$550 for a good driver today given how much better the equipment is should actually be considered a bargain.

$700 for new drivers here in Canada, plus 13% taxes=$791!?!? Apex/Pros coming in at $1,800?! Going to be an interesting yr. for sales!? :to_become_senile:

Yeah, but you have free health care.

You'd need free mental health care after buying a full new set LoL!

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

OP is definitely not wrong about prices being high. It’s just that it’s pretty much true about everything. My kids’ sports (which includes golf), groceries, cars. Life is outrageously expensive.

I do remember a big noticeable spike in club prices in the late ‘90s, early 2000’s. I remember buying the 975D driver when it first came out, and my Dad about having a heart attack. I think that was my first $300 club. Then the floodgates opened, lol.

I generally buy used or on a deal when I can, rarely do I plan on buying new clubs via retail. The frustrating thing for me is how crucial getting fit properly has become, and buying used doesn't really line up with that. So if you want the best benefits of the new tech you're usually pushed into the new stuff at new prices.

Poster is in Canada, which has significantly higher retail prices than the States.

Always been that way unfortunately. Heck right now a 4-PW set of i210s we can get down here for $875 USD costs $1250 CAD.

Almost like the currencies aren't equal in value.

They are finally realizing that Americans are also willing to pay premium prices for premium products. It used to be the higher priced (forged) products were only found in the Asian markets. Callaway came out with an American version of the Diablo Forged and Nike with the VR_S Forged which we bought in large enough numbers that the market shifted up. They still make the lower priced equipment, but now we get some the the stuff that you had to buy JDM.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

At Founders Club, whose Judge titanium driver sells for

$475, metal woods pioneer and company founder Gary Adams

concedes, "Those people who drive a Mercedes will want to own a

titanium driver."

The underlined say`s it all really. Unless someone can tell the "Mercedes" drivers to stop buying new equipment the increasing prices will continue.

Prices just seem to keep going up and that leaves the consumer with zero incentive to want to always upgrade...

This is false. If people weren`t upgrading to the latest and greatest everytime something new came out, wouldn`t you think the prices would drop to attract more customers? The rising prices simply shows you people are willing to pay whatever price for the new stuff.

For Christ`s sake people are shelling out 50-80$ for a pair of shorty shorts just to golf in. http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1476714-shorts-with-a-shorter-inseam/

Prices just seem to keep going up and that leaves the consumer with zero incentive to want to always upgrade...

This is false. If people weren`t upgrading to the latest and greatest everytime something new came out, wouldn`t you think the prices would drop to attract more customers? The rising prices simply shows you people are willing to pay whatever price for the new stuff.

For Christ`s sake people are shelling out 50-80$ for a pair of shorty shorts just to golf in. http://www.golfwrx.c...shorter-inseam/

While that is true, I would think that there has to be a breaking point somewhere down the line. I would love to think that this is the start? Who know.

Driver: Titleist TSI3 10 Deg - Tensei AV Raw White 65

Fairway Wood: Titliest TSI2 15 Deg - Tensei AV Raw White 65
Hybrid: Titleist TSI2 18 Deg - Tensei AV Raw Blue Hybrid 65
Irons: PXG Gen4 0311 P 4-GW - KBS Tour 120
Wedges: Vokey SM9, 54 & 60 - AMT Red 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 / Never Compromise Dinero Prototype 

Ball: Srixon ZStar Diamond / Chrome Soft X

It’s not the cost of irons and drivers that shock me, it’s the cost of the damn putters that is outrageous. Considering that there has been very little R&D change to putters, and that it does not require a premium shaft, there is no reason that non-custom putters should be > $200. I get that it is the most used club in the bag, but they just keep rebranding the same designs over and over each year ... change black to red and jack up the price based on the “new visual and alignment help” or tweak the firmness of an insert and charge more for a “pro” model of the same damn clubhead.