Rick Shiels Cobra F9 Speedback driver review, the one to beat in 2019?

Hedgehog

I think his point was that, for him, it's the complete package. Performance, they are all on par with one another. Other than the Cortex he was in a very similar range with one another. With that performance, he highlighted that the head looked great and more importantly, felt and sounded amazing. So, given that they all perform pretty much the same, I think, for him, the Cobra is the best of the bunch since it provides him with the visual and audible feedback he's looking for. Those two things can add a load of confidence on the tee.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I am sure the Cobra is a great driver, but so are the others...

Sure they are very close to the F9's performance, at a higher price though.

If he redid all the tests and the epic flash subzero would suddenly be number 1 in ballspeed (which is possible, his sample is nowhere near big enough to show any significant statistical evidence) would it be worth the extra 75 bucks to you? The point is, the Cobra is not "faster" (whatever that means) than the new drivers from Callaway, TaylorMade, Mizuno and so on. They are all more or less the same. Cobra offers a very compelling package at a nice price point, I am not debating that. I say it is simply untrue to suggest that the Cobra is "THE" driver of 2019, because some random dude in England got slightly better ball speed in a small data sample.

disagree somewhat...we cant say its the one for 2019 for everyone..BUT we can say its the best one for Rick... You do realize the videos are a small sample of his testing .. he isnt only hitting 10 balls with each ...lol

his OPINIONS are based on much testing and i believe are honest. It doesnt tell you whats best for everyone , but his reviews have mirrored my own testing for quite some time ... If he said it sounded bad..it usually does.. If he says it spins too much.. it usually does.. if he says its fade biased.. it almost always is ... etc etc etc... bashing the guys reviews gets old in my opinion ... especially when he has about the most comprehensive reviews online... theres a couple more decent reviewers..But most are guys swinging 90mph in a dark room with vanilla opinions on everything .. if you review everything and never have a product you dont like, or one you really love..Youre lying .. Rick has numerous examples of both

I realize that he hits more shots off-camera, but the conditions from day to day still change and so do the clubs. The point I was trying to make is that the numbers are very close together and that there are quite a few variables other than the clubhead in play. You would need a gigantic data set, which realistically only a robot can provide.

I have no issue with his reviews, but I would never base a purchasing decision on whether he got 2mph more ball speed with the cobra over a TS3 or whatever.

And that’s fair enough. But I’m not taking what he shows and buying anything either. I just mean that he’s usually right in feel , spin and sound. So you can get an idea . Example. If he hits a head and says it spins too much. There’s no use in me hitting it. He can get to 1700 or less sometimes. I’d kill for less than 3k guaranteed. But I’ve got a g400 max. All I’m looking for now is backup heads. Lol. This dog will hunt. And she hunts down the sprinkler line!

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Forget which talking head said what and how the tests were done and the obvious issues. Yall sound like a bunch of old ladies.

I hit it indoors on a monitor in a stock setup, and it did indeed sound fantastic, found simulated fairways, and I hit it measurably further than my 915d3.

If I was into buying new stuff, I might have bought it on the spot.

The yellow looked pretty good in person.

I take all these online reviews with a grain of salt. Just because it works well for Rick Shiels doesn't mean I'll get the same performance out of it than he does. That being said the Cobra F9 was already on the top of my demo list anyway. I am happy to see he thought so highly of it.

$449 is still steep for a driver but compared to the other guys they look like a hero.

Driver: Callaway Rogue STMaxLS 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra Aerojet @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

looking forward to 1/4 of price in the summer :stink:

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

I don't get everyone being so negative or opinionated towards YouTube reviews lately. It seems every single review is just getting slammed for being fake or click bate or wrong or something else. I like the fact Rick is adding in the comparison, he used the same shaft in both, set them both the same and on the same day. I don't see how he could have done anymore to make this as similar as possible. Of course there going to be different there different clubs lol they will never be the same number but it's like people see there different and just throw hate. Cobra in my opinion has always been underrated, they have great gear which is proven on the pga they arena great company and like everything in golf until you try it you can't speculate on how it will affect your game.

I really appreciate Shiels videos. There are a couple things I take issue with his videos at times but overall he does a great job and I watch just about every equipment review he comes out with. There are a couple things about him that stand out though. He seems to at times try really hard to downplay marketing hype. He’s not a Callaway or Taylormade hater by any means like some people said based on his Epic Flash and M5 reviews. He just disagree with the message they are putting off which is adding more ball speed which is next to impossible. But if you watch his videos he definitely comments on the fact that the drivers perform. He’s just getting better distance numbers from more consistent ball speeds across the face and lower spin then he is more ball speed on center strikes. I want Rick to test every new driver against the one he currently games on the same day. As we all know swings vary day to day. Numbers vary day to day. That’s why when you get fit it’s always important to take your driver to compare. Rick just tells us his optimum numbers and that’s not really good enough for an accurate measurement. When Rick says the F9 is the club to beat, does that mean the TS3 is in jeopardy for him? He needs to hit the TS3 on the same day against Epic Flash, M5, F9, and any other 2019 driver so we as the consumers have a more accurate review of every club.

If the video title was used on a Taylormade or Callaway driver no one would question it but it was used on a Cobra so its click bait...

I play multiple Cobra clubs, this is clickbait

Honest question. Why do people see it as click bait? Besides the colour he seemed to having nothing but great things to say so to Rick this is the club to beat?

If the video title was used on a Taylormade or Callaway driver no one would question it but it was used on a Cobra so its click bait...

Honest question. Why do people see it as click bait? Besides the colour he seemed to having nothing but great things to say so to Rick this is the club to beat?

Because he's using the title to bait people into views.

So basically... the TS3 is the best driver all around?

The epic flash SZ is the longest, but ugly and lacks MOI.

And the F9 didn’t have the cache of Titleist or Cally, so it got a click bait title?

Kidding... they are all about the same in numbers.

For me the TS3 looks classy. Sounds great. And smashes the ball. Loves to go in the fairway to boot.

But hey, all the super cool kids at school will think ur super cool with your retina burning colors and attention grabbing names.

Flash! Speed! Twist!

What is this a Batman rerun from the 70s?

Titleist managed to make a driver that doesn’t make you embarrassed to bag in adulthood... and it’s numbers are even with the rest.

Purchase validated.

Titleist TSR3 - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Rogue LS - 15* - Tour ADXC 7x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - KBS Tour 120 Wedge

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft TruTrack (Winter)
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

Just look at the title compared to the other new driver review videos. Maybe Cobra reviews get less views so he had to spice it up.

fjTbeqD.jpg

Your on golfwrx, you probably would of watched it no matter the title.

Yeah I subscribe to his channel and like watching his review videos. Doesn't change the fact it's a clickbait title.

Because he's using the title to bait people into views.

Yer ok I get it now after seeing the other drivers description. Just watched marks video and nothing but praise also!

We all know these are all great drivers and the difference for many of us would be very small if the sample size was large enough and shaft/setup were optimized.

If I were buying today what differentiates them possibly the most is appearance.

This is just my opinion, but this opinion is the Titleist looks great behind the ball, and classy in the bag. The Cobra actually looks like it should cost considerably less and has the lowest end look of the new crop...IMO only. It's performance would have to stand out more than it does for me to bag it.

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

Would love to see him rehit the 2016 m2 and g400 max in a test vs the 2019 offerings

This!!!!!

Epic Max LS 9* Ventus Black 6s / Cobra Radspeed 9* Tensei 1K 6x

Epic Flash 15* / Tour AD TP 7x and DI 7x

Sim Max 19* / DI 8x

Srixon Zx7 4-P

Ping Glide Stealth 52 (bent to 51)

SM6 - 56/10 (bent to 55/9)

Tour Issue LB Hi Toe 60*

Spider Plumber's Neck

TP5

I've been done with buying into the overpriced latest and greatest being longer than the previous years model. All these drivers with proper fitting are within 3 yards of each other. I am into buying previous gens latest and greatest at a substantial savings. :D $120 for 917D2 with Tour Spec Pro 74. OH YEAH!!!!

:D

Ping G430 10k 9 Tour Black 2.0 Stiff

Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

He did say that when he swapped shafts with the F8+ head with the F9. With the same swing he gained more with the F9 across the board. To me that was the only factor i was peeping tbh

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

I don't get everyone being so negative or opinionated towards YouTube reviews lately. It seems every single review is just getting slammed for being fake or click bate or wrong or something else. I like the fact Rick is adding in the comparison, he used the same shaft in both, set them both the same and on the same day. I don't see how he could have done anymore to make this as similar as possible. Of course there going to be different there different clubs lol they will never be the same number but it's like people see there different and just throw hate. Cobra in my opinion has always been underrated, they have great gear which is proven on the pga they arena great company and like everything in golf until you try it you can't speculate on how it will affect your game.

Why are we surprised? We are surrounded by hate. Just look at the news. Look at the Dems vs GOP. Coming here takes me to a happy place. Hope we can keep it real and civil in the new year.

I appreciate the comparisons, but they are completely irrelevant. The clubs compared differ greatly in set up (shaft, length, loft). Additionally his performance varies on a daily basis, too. All the ball speeds are within 2 miles per hour. That is not a significant change and could change easily, if retested. I am sure the Cobra is a great driver, but so are the others. The title is clickbait. Not much more.

Bullseye.

And in reference to some other posts, people are not being "negative". These days when you simply present the facts, it's viewed as "hating" if those facts don't align with some people's opinions. It's best to simply present the facts and let people do with them what they will. If you want to take multi variable hitting sessions by a single guy as gospel, nobody is stopping you.

I appreciate the comparisons, but they are completely irrelevant. The clubs compared differ greatly in set up (shaft, length, loft). Additionally his performance varies on a daily basis, too. All the ball speeds are within 2 miles per hour. That is not a significant change and could change easily, if retested. I am sure the Cobra is a great driver, but so are the others. The title is clickbait. Not much more.

Bullseye.

And in reference to some other posts, people are not being "negative". These days when you simply present the facts, it's viewed as "hating" if those facts don't align with some people's opinions. It's best to simply present the facts and let people do with them what they will. If you want to take multi variable hitting sessions by a single guy as gospel, nobody is stopping you.

Watch or don't watch. F the hate, if you don't like it don't watch. I love all the guys doing reviews. If you want perfect get off your f'n a** do it yourself post it and live with the hate. If you hate you are milktoast and weakminded. Yes you.

Bullseye.

Watch or don't watch. F the hate, if you don't like it don't watch. I love all the guys doing reviews. If you want perfect get off your f'n a** do it yourself post it and live with the hate. If you hate you are milktoast and weakminded. Yes you.

Lol. This is going to be good.

Bullseye.

After seeing him get dogged, I had to go see what it was all about. So, at least the "hate" got him about 6 more clicks from me last night lol. I watched that one and then saw another, then another...etc.. I like his reviews better than the annual "hot list" in the mags. At least there is some data vs 4 quotes from testers saying "I could bag this" or "perfect for the mid-capper looking to take his game to the next level".

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD